Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2741      
       2743              4068       4069       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2742 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Scott, congrats to your V1! It's a neat little machine - with some shortcomings and some good features.
I hope the color of your V1 doesn't match the white on your fine winterly golf-court ;-)

Wow, I just noticed this, congrats Scott.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:10 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2742 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's an over-the-top processed shot from this evening (the sun was down already).
At smaller scale it looks kinda interesting, but at 100 % the image just flies in all directions ;-)

just a big wet stone - D700 at ISO200, 20 seconds at f/18, PC 85/2.8D

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:26 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2742 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It may be "over-processed" Georg, but I like it.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:41 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2742 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
It may be "over-processed" Georg, but I like it.

+1 agreed

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:59 PM
pburke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2742 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

overprocessed? this might be... but hey, whatever makes us happy

P38 with the 105mm f2.5 on D7000, run through all sorts of Photoshop actions to enhance texture. Can't see it too well on the web size

detail crop

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:28 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2742 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:

P38 with the 105mm f2.5 on D7000, run through all sorts of Photoshop actions to enhance texture. Can't see it too well on the web size

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/105mm/p38_processed_web.jpg

detail crop
http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/105mm/p38_processed_crop.jpg

Love it (some of the dark areas seem to have lost their detail though)! Can you share the actions you used?

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:38 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2742 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a monitor breaker from the south vista point for the Golden Gate bridge. This is a three shot panorama taken with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Sorry Leighton... it is large in dimensions but only a bit over 300kb in size.

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:47 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2742 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'll drop one in from the other side of the bridge taken with Nikki. This really was a trip for her after all...

The area around the bridge and the west part of San Francisco had fog while the downtown was bright and sunny as you see in some later shots. Tomorrow I'll spend more time in that part of town. Today I traveled the coast, then ventured into town before heading back home where it is nice and sunny. Glad I had a vest with me today...

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:52 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2742 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, Kevin and Peter - thanks!

Peter, really interesting look of the P38. Smooth and contrasty at the same time, sorry, can't find better words for it.

Curtis and Kevin, looking at all the fine pictures of the Golden Gate bridge I remember the grumbling of the SF-photogs some years ago (esp. after 9/11): are the security-related photo-restrictions for the Golden Gate finally history?

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:57 PM
designdog
• •
p.2742 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/105mm/p38_processed_web.jpg

detail crop
http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/105mm/p38_processed_crop.jpg

Just a thought on this: might be interesting to see what it looks like with a "real sky," that is, mask out the effect on the sky, just keep it on the aircraft...

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • •
p.2742 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:

Just a thought on this: might be interesting to see what it looks like with a "real sky," that is, mask out the effect on the sky, just keep it on the aircraft...

the sky is mostly changed by a grayscale gradient and lens correction add vignette, but the main action was Russel Brown's CS4 Smart Image Detailing script, found here (quite a bit down,since on top are all the CS6 actions)

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

watch the video that goes with it - it's complicated enough that each time I run this I forget something. This time I forgot the negative part. Still looks cool

The above image was actually made from a JPG - have to go back and redo this with the RAW anyway, and this time I'll try to stick to the instructions.

The image above also has a black and white layer over it to turn it a little more pale. The overall effect looks to me like somebody oiled the matte paint on the plane.

Oh, I also removed a Go Pro camera from the cockpit - those darn things are sprouting everywhere to mess up a good image. Clone tool, healing brush - gone.

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:23 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2742 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Scott, YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING!! Nice image but MAN...

Curtis and Leighton, yes it is true, more snow. We get what is called "lake effect" snow off of the Great Lakes. On the plus side, it is supposed to be 50+ degrees Thursday! Curtis, don't worry about your visit. They will have the roads plowed by August. Just kidding. It will be beautiful by then.

Thank you Ray and Georg. The V1 is a lot of fun. Georg, I agree it does have its limitations. Some are fustrating but it is nice to be able to use the old Nikkors on this small body.

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:09 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2742 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
+1 agreed

+2 Georg!

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:11 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2742 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Here's a monitor breaker from the south vista point for the Golden Gate bridge. This is a three shot panorama taken with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Sorry Leighton... it is large in dimensions but only a bit over 300kb in size.

Very nice Curtis. Beautiful images of the bridge.

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:13 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2742 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, no problems with security around the bridge, though some areas are behind chain link fences. But access from all sides is very easy.

Here is a black and white conversion with Silver Efex Pro 2 of a photo taken with the 28 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd.

The 24 is a very sweet lens.

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:18 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2742 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Georg, no problems with security around the bridge, though some areas are behind chain link fences. But access from all sides is very easy.

Here is a black and white conversion with Silver Efex Pro 2 of a photo taken with the 28 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QRes3KeGHY8/UVuQhKpL0GI/AAAAAAAATmM/3apMyr4kx6w/s1000/24.2.8.NC.GGBridgeBW.02.jpg

The 24 is a very sweet lens.

Great shot Curtis!

I have this exact lens on it's way. Now that the 16mm is off to Scott, I wanted a wide angle that fit my shooting style a little better and I think this will fir the bill.

–Tony

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:25 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2742 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Love it (some of the dark areas seem to have lost their detail though)! Can you share the actions you used?

I can't replicate the above

however, the action it started with was the Surface Detail action I linked to. The rest, well, I call it messing around. All I remember was I duplicated the image in various layers and worked with blending modes (harsh light, darken, etc) and did a black and white layer as overlay.

You asked for clean sky - I went back to raw and redid it "by the book" with surface detail action, with and without the sky masked, and yes, it looks better with the sky unmolested.

First, pretty much straight out of Camera Raw, just some contrast adjustments and sensor spot cleanup (the D7000 I had spit more oil than a Harley)

now with the surface detail action applied just to the plane

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:19 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2742 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

and one more, prcoessed in similar matter, again the 105mm f2.5 on D7000 f/11 1/160s iso 100, slightly cropped, plus, I removed a prop blade from the background to give it a cleaner composition

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:23 AM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2742 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Awsome shots Peter
Curtis love the bridge shots.
Georg I think the process is really nicely done!

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:32 AM
raboof
• • •
p.2742 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

More architectural stuff with the 16mm f3.5

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:40 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell