Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2728      
       2730              4378       4379       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2729 #1 · p.2729 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Ronny!

Just starting the Herculaneum sets, far less photos because it was just one half day visit and I used a lot my 24-120/4 VR ( ). This town is much smaller than Pompeii.

Not the best pano and light conditions were not ideal, but anyway a general view of the escavated portion of the town (many parts are still below the modern day Ercolano city !!!).

Herculaneum pano - 5 vertical shots with Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 by labecoaves, on Flickr

General view of Herculaneum from south-west border. At 79AD the beach was just at where I stood to do this photography, but today it is some 300-400m away behind.
D7000 + Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd hand held, ISO 320, f/8 at 1/250s.
5 vertical shots pano.
Note the town is ~20m below today's ground level. Modern day Ercolano city and Vesuvius are in the background.

Lower floor of the House of Aristides
Extreme north-west border of escavations, the House of Aristides lower floor, facing the beach at ancient times. The photo was taken just before a bridge access to the ancient ruins.

_D7K_20130216_1055-Lower-floor-of-House-of-Aristides by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 100, f/8 at 1/60s.

More details in this excellent source:
https://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/herculaneum-1/map-of-herculaneum

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 09:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:48 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2729 #2 · p.2729 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
Wow. I love this!

–Tony

This is the photo I like best in several months, the ice to flower contrast just strikes me.

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Reagan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2729 #3 · p.2729 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Been on Vacation with the wife to South Carolina last week
Low was 27 and the high about 48. dead of winter to us
But we went hiking anyway and had snow flurries all day. The other side of the mountain had 13 inches
Warmed up once we started and with the sun out it was very pleasant

2 with the 25-50 F4
First one is "Banal " I guess that is the word of the week
Second a wedding had just finished in a mountain chapel
Amateur photo guy taking the pics

Reagan

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    25mm    f/8.0    1/200s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    25mm    f/8.0    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2729 #4 · p.2729 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot Reagan

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2729 #5 · p.2729 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks
Great shot Jose and Ray .. lovely bokeh

Ray: I am considering a Nikkor 300 ED f4.5 .. how much difference between Ai and Ai-s
this I watched is probably Ai with serial number 203899
Is there any difference in terms of quality of the pictures and bokeh ?
understood that there are nine blades at Ai-s and f32? and only 7 blades and f22 on the AI ?
Major disadvantage?
I have to think.. do not really know what it costs .. are bidding on it ... but it seems to be in good condition
what do you pay for
...Show more

There are a number of different versions of the 300 f/4.5 which makes it very difficult to distinguish them. The best lenses, whether in AI or AI-s will have ED glass in them. The AI-s version looks like this, which the bulbous front...

This is a photo of the lens I bought. It is properly designated 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF. There is an AI version with ED-IF and an older AI version with a different optical formula with ED but no Internal Focusing. Hope this helps. Here is a link to the relevant section of photosynthesis.nz.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html#300

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2729 #6 · p.2729 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks
Great shot Jose and Ray .. lovely bokeh

Ray: I am considering a Nikkor 300 ED f4.5 .. how much difference between Ai and Ai-s
this I watched is probably Ai with serial number 203899
Is there any difference in terms of quality of the pictures and bokeh ?
understood that there are nine blades at Ai-s and f32? and only 7 blades and f22 on the AI ?
Major disadvantage?
I have to think.. do not really know what it costs .. are bidding on it ... but it seems to be in good condition
what do you pay for
...Show more
Ronny I have never seen any comparison between the 7 blade and 9 blade. I suppose a search on the net might produce some results. It seems to me that the 9 blades would produce a smoother Bokeh than 7. I have lately seen these EDIF range in the $200-$300 I had a copy of the 300mm 4.5 AI thats the one with NO ed glass and I found strong CA. I eventually sold it and bought the EDIF

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2729 #7 · p.2729 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Curtis
Looks too be in perfect condition ... Such condition is not one that I have looked at ..
unfortunately is not so many here on the used market
The one I have looked at is an Ai ED and believe it is without Internal Focusing ? but I'm not sure. when looking at Serial I think it is with IF... if not ..Is what a disadvantage ?

her is a link
http://www.tradera.com/nikon-nikkor-ed-300mm-1-4-5-objektiv-auktion_301999_178619979

Thanks Ray

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2729 #8 · p.2729 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love the work with you do Ronny with both the 180 and the 135. I also love the fact you're an animal lover... as am I, though I don't have furry friends in my life at the moment. I have to find my pleasure in other people's animals, such as the one's you share with us with your excellent photographs. Well done.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2729 #9 · p.2729 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It ended up being a pretty nice day today, but because the forecast was for clouds I didn't organize my day to get into San Francisco. I did, however, do a bit of rambling with Nikki and a few pre-AI friends...

I'll have more to say about this airplane since I followed it from the beginning of its takeoff. This is a downpayment.

And here are two shots taken from the same location from Belvedere, an island perched in the Bay with some of the most expensive real estate around. The first is toward the Golden Gate bridge. The second is toward Mount Tamaplais. I live on the opposite side of the mountain. I processed these with a bit of help from Nik tools... Learning, learning... slowly...

Check this one out for $19,800,000. I drove down that street today.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3052629475-255-Golden-Gate-Ave-Belvedere-CA-94920

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2729 #10 · p.2729 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

It is indeed the 300mm 4.5 EDIF AI version made between 78-81. If it is a good price I think I would get it. It looks to be in excellent condition with just a couple scratches on the body. Nikon made several lenses 9 blade when the previous version was 7. The 50mm 1.2 comes to mind. I am sure if you do a search you will find some photos that show the difference. With your love of shooting at a distance I am sure it would be a great addition to your arsenal. Good luck Ronny

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • • •
p.2729 #11 · p.2729 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

The one I have looked at is an Ai ED and believe it is without Internal Focusing ? but I'm not sure. when looking at Serial I think it is with IF... if not ..Is what a disadvantage ?

if it is one of the non-IF you found the one version that is most desirable. The IF lens will stay the same length when changing focus, the older one won't. Based on the serial #, you are looking at an earlier IF lens.

Ai 300/4.5 Nikkor*ED IF MIJ 5+ f22, 7 blades, narrow tripod collar 200001 200050 - 208080 Aug 78 - Dec 81

I have one from the next batch with 9 blades, serial around 220000

But anyone who has the old version should hang on to it:

Bjørn Rørslett writes on his site:

This lens, one of the first to carry "ED" designation, was only available for a short time in the mid 70's before being replaced with the internal focusing (IF) model. A pity, because the non-IF lens is, or rather was, a truly remarkable performer even by today's standards. It excels even near wide open and the impressive quality holds up well down to f/16

This lens was so well colour-corrected that it lacked the traditional "red dot" for IR photography, because visual and IR focus coincide. However, this by itself doesn't guarantee IR quality (see below)

Focusing isn't
...Show more

he rates the non-IF version a 5, while the IF gets a 4, mostly for CA

I have the IF ED version and honestly, I don't think it's that great of a lens. It handles well and is compact, but it has pretty strong CA. I rarely shoot it wide open. Stopped down it works alright, but my 70-300mm VR consumer zoom kills it in IQ. Obviously, shooting the MF lens is a lot more fun. The colors and contrast on the old lens are more pleasant, too.

Peter

Edited on Mar 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2729 #12 · p.2729 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
It is indeed the 300mm 4.5 EDIF AI version made between 78-81. If it is a good price I think I would get it. It looks to be in excellent condition with just a couple scratches on the body. Nikon made several lenses 9 blade when the previous version was 7. The 50mm 1.2 comes to mind. I am sure if you do a search you will find some photos that show the difference. With your love of shooting at a distance I am sure it would be a great addition to your arsenal. Good luck Ronny

Checking a currency converter the price asked is $185 American... a steal! Go for it Ronny. You won't regret it.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2729 #13 · p.2729 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, thanks for the bokeh play... Great fun. I know that is not your cup of tea, so it is appreciated even more. That said, I love your stacked photos as well. You are a very adventurous photographer who adds much to delight in on this thread.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2729 #14 · p.2729 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You forget Peter, the other downside of the 70-300 VR is you can't share the images on this thread...

Of course there are plenty of threads on FM where photos can be shared, though they tend to last a few days rather than a few years...

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2729 #15 · p.2729 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
if it is one of the non-IF you found the one version that is most desirable. The IF lens will stay the same length when changing focus, the older one won't

I have the IF ED version and honestly, I don't think it's that great of a lens. It handles well and is compact, but it has pretty strong CA. I rarely shoot it wide open. Stopped down it works alright, but my 70-300mm VR consumer zoom kills it in IQ. Obviously, shooting the MF
...Show more
Thats so funny Peter because I also had the 70-300VR and sold it because I could not get a sharp photo at 300mm wide open. I shoot my EDIF wide open most of the time and it is sharp with little to no CA.

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2729 #16 · p.2729 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
if it is one of the non-IF you found the one version that is most desirable. The IF lens will stay the same length when changing focus, the older one won't

I have the IF ED version and honestly, I don't think it's that great of a lens. It handles well and is compact, but it has pretty strong CA. I rarely shoot it wide open. Stopped down it works alright, but my 70-300mm VR consumer zoom kills it in IQ. Obviously, shooting the MF
...Show more

+1
My copy of the 300/4.5 ED-IF was just a tad better than my 70-300VR - both of which were just OK on my D700. Both have been sold.

Like the 400/5.6, the plain ED versions of the 300/4.5 are the best because they don't have the optical compromise that comes with an IF design - i.e., the whole lens set moves as one, thus maintaining their optimal position with one another. However you have to move the whole lens set to focus which then makes it grow as the distance to subject decreases. The plain ED versions of the 400/5.6 and 300/4.5 are not very common - I have the 400/5.6 ED AI and it's a somewhat better lens than the 400/5.6 ED-IF - especially in the corners, though it does have some CA still. I've always been on the lookout for the 300/4.5 ED, but have never come across one.

John

deang001
• • •
p.2729 #17 · p.2729 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks folks for the comments. Nikki's presence has definitely pushed photography to the top of my agenda for the last week. I've taken close to a thousand photos, over ninety percent with Nikki.

Looking at the weather forecast it appears Tuesday of next week promises sunny skies, so that will likely be one of my days in San Francisco. One day I'll drive in so I can wander about a bit. The second day I'll take a ferry in, then use local transportation to ramble through the city and focus on street photography. The ferry drops me off at the
...Show more

Very nice, Curtis ... you are putting in a huge effort with Nikki. Lovely to see Sue again as well.

Really looking forward to the San Francisco visits.

It's a bit sad that it's all ending after almost a year. Been a great adventure.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2729 #18 · p.2729 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thats so funny Peter because I also had the 70-300VR and sold it because I could not get a sharp photo at 300mm wide open. I shoot my EDIF wide open most of the time and it is sharp with little to no CA.

My experience with the 70-300VR is that there is a lot of sample variation from one copy to the next. I had to go through 3 copies to find one that was good enough - one was decentered, another just plain not sharp, and another the VR was poor. My final copy was only slightly decentered, 300mm was just OK, and the VR was usable. Very very sharp lens at the wide end though!

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2729 #19 · p.2729 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Ronny!

Just starting the Herculaneum sets, far less photos because it was just one half day visit and I used a lot my 24-120/4 VR ( ). This town is much smaller than Pompeii.

Not the best pano and light conditions were not ideal, but anyway a general view of the escavated portion of the town (many parts are still below the modern day Ercolano city !!!).

General view of Herculaneum from south-west border. At 79AD the beach was just at where I stood to do this photography, but today it is some 300-400m away behind.
D7000 + Nikkor
...Show more

Jose, that first shot is really good. I have never seen a view of Herculaneum like that which put's it's size into perspective. I knew it was small but didn't realise just how small. Looks amazingly well preserved. Looking forward to seeing more of the detail.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2729 #20 · p.2729 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

300mm f4.5 EDIF on D7000 last summer - miss that 450mm effective range on my D600

I'm watching a 600mm f4 on ebay right now. I'm sure I'll get outbid, but maybe not...

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password