Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2723      
       2725              4072       4073       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2724 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
These are from a little island off Hong Kong we visited today called Yim Tin Tsai (Little Salt Field) that I only found out about last week. People used to live here from around 300 yrs ago, but the whole island has been abandoned since the early 1990's (I think). Not sure why. The place is littered with colourful old derelict village houses and is starting to be over run by nature which makes for some cool photography. There is some life starting to happen here again with some organic gardening going on.

I'll be back here for sure to explore
...Show more

Just WOW Dean, these are fantastic, even better than your street shots, and that's saying something! More please.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:04 PM
pburke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2724 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
I see that the 16mm 3.5 ai that was on E-bay sold for $425. Did anyone here purchase the lens - inquiring minds want to know

I bailed at $375. Too rich for me. I can get a Rokinon 14mm for that much, and I'm not really sure I would use the fisheye as much as a 14mm.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:08 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2724 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
These are from a little island off Hong Kong we visited today called Yim Tin Tsai (Little Salt Field)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8599305249_045080a415_b.jpg
DSC_6333 by deang0001, on Flickr

Love it - has a real old world feel to it. Color graded, or is this the actual light?

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:14 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2724 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Okay, one last close shot with Nikki and her new best friend, the PK-13...

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uRVJrtckJFQ/UVTqhJXqmLI/AAAAAAAATHY/xFFN5RjXNmM/s1000/85.1.8.HC.PK13.BlossomClose.05.jpg

It deserves another look - gorgeous!

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:33 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2724 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
It deserves another look - gorgeous!

Yes, I've been looking at this image a lot. Nice shot, Curtis.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2724 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Yes, I've been looking at this image a lot. Nice shot, Curtis.

+1

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:53 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2724 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Georg, Ron, Scott, Curtis, Leighton, Peter and Mark for the very kind words.

Scott, I have not used the 75-150 with tubes yet, someday perhaps I will test tubes vs Close up lenses.

Chin, incredible "blue hour" pano;
Peter, simply awesome bike & ice sets; well done !!
Curtis, loved Nikki with tubes shots of flower buds;
Goran, nice coin shot and thanks for sharing your setup;
Dean, loved your abandoned island set.

Yesterday late afternoon these interesting clouds were showing, so I made a quick comparison of no polarizer vs. circular polarizer (Hoya) filter in the 85/1.4:

No polarizer:

Afternoon clouds - no polarizer filter by labecoaves, on Flickr
D600 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 ais hand held, ISO 100, f5.6 at 1/1250s.

With polarizer:

Afternoon clouds - circular polarizer filter by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 ais hand held, ISO 100, f5.6 at 1/500s.
As expected, the circular polarizer filter provides a deeper blue sky.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2724 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dean - really good pics of the little salt field! maybe it was used up?

Mark - great find!

Jose - goos comparison

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:45 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2724 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dean, excellent set from the abandoned house. The muted tones and colours are a perfect match for the subject.

Peter, love the bubble-blowing fish!

Curtis, looks like a very nice evening! Your close-ups with Nikki on tubes are really inspiring (I like esp. the cactus leaf edge).

Mark, should I stumble across a nice and good priced TC-201 I will give it a try - thanks for sharing your impressions.

Tony, nice test of the 16/3.5 wide-open. Reminds me of all the things I wanna try with this fine lens...

Ray, amazing what modern cameras can deliver - ISO6400 was pretty much unthinkable 10 years ago - not to mention the "film-era". I'm glad the D600 works so well for you.

Jose, love how the polarizer brings out the upper stream-shaped clouds. Sensible used, a polarizer is a great tool.
In the warmer months many thousands of tourists are visiting my hometown and I see wrongly used polarizers every day. Some years ago graduated tabac-colored Cokin filters were en vogue ;-)

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:49 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2724 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'll second Laura's comment Mark about the TC-201. I've used it on the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with fine results. Of course, without a tripod that is a bit of a stretch for me. And I don't have the tripod mount for that lens, so I don't often use the lens with that extender, but rather one of the 1.4x versions. Hopefully, you'll soon get some warm weather and brighter light to use you rediscovered prize.

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2724 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks all for comments on photos above. I hate to admit it Peter but, yes the photo of my friend may a bit soft because of the Laddie... But it was worth it. An excellent Scotch.

And for Georg the edge of another cactus plant... Nikki with tube...

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2724 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dean, I love that set of images. Classic work and clearly much appreciated by all of us. It is a delight to have you back showing us your exotic corner of this amazing world we share. Well done!

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:56 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2724 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Appreciate the lesson Jose, but I have to admit I prefer the photo without the polarizer. There is a softness to it that I personally find inviting. I'm eternally contending with use of the Clarity slider and the Contrast slider because of how they remove some of the softness I appreciate in an image. That may come from my love of bokeh which is intended to be soft. Trying to find the right mixture of sharpness in the focal plane while keeping a soft quality to the bokeh is where I'm working most of the time in post.

That said I don't doubt that polarizers are very useful in doing landscape work where it is typically used. My guess is that with a larger sky above an interesting scene below, as in photos you've posted from your recent trip, that the polarizer helps immeasurably. But in your sample, I like the image without the polarizer.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:01 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2724 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, another very nice cactus-detail!
Reading and thinking about 85mm-lenses, clouds and so on I remembered a picture taken last year.
It's not a good photograph, but taken with an unusual camera-lens-filter combo:

Nikki's older sister, my 85/1.8H with a Hoya R72-filter on top and a D3s at the mount
exposure was 4seconds at f/8 and ISO200 - the shot was underexposed about 3 stops
trivia about the subject: the locals were sore because "Hollywood" used our lighthouse for the "Shutter-Island"-advertising ;-)

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2724 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis: Unpeated eh? That's a new one for me!
Love what you've captured with Nikki thus far

That's rather cool, Dean. So is the whole village abandoned? That'll be some serious urbex work down there! Inspired by Josť and Pompeii perhaps

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:08 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2724 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Of course, without a tripod that is a bit of a stretch for me. And I don't have the tripod mount for that lens, so I don't often use the lens with that extender,

Curtis,

for shooting long glass while moving around, I prefer a monopod. Smaller, lighter, easier to stuff in your camera bag when not in use. I've shot 600mm f4 + 1.4x and 2x that way for years, and if you don't sit in a blind waiting for animals, it does the job. The tripod collar you're missing is a 15 minute DIY project.

Riding to work today I saw two images that were begging me to take the plunge and get a 600 f4 again, although I can't see how I would pack that monster on my bicycle, with or without monopod.

Peter

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:24 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2724 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm eternally contending with use of the Clarity slider and the Contrast slider because of how they remove some of the softness I appreciate in an image.

Clarity increases contrast only for the mid tones, contrast globally. Polarizers don't do any of that, they just filter out stray light, and with that affect the color tone.

I rarely use contrast, and only occasionally tweak the clarity, while I do spend a lot more time adjusting the tone curves in RAW, and especially the adjustment brush tool, which lets you selectively tweak almost anyhing you'd do in photoshop non-destructively before you even load the file. With the Adjustment brush, you can for example apply clarity only to the area where you want to have more pop in the mid tones, whithout touching the rest of your image and your sweet bokeh you want to protect.

I learned all of that on youtube. I am not a licensed Photoshop therapist, just a 12 step program graduate

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:31 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2724 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ok, so I'm going to send Curtis the hood I bought from Ray a while ago for Nikki's twin that I have, and just bought one from KEH to be sent to me in its place. Nikki should go home with all the gifts she accumulated on her trip around the world Should anyone happen to find the hood, they can just send it to me instead Off to the Post Office to drop the hood in the mail now

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:05 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2724 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Found one more set of images from my stacking experiments last week - this is my hiking buddy "Mousie" wearing his new scarf. This little bean bag dude has been in my kids' backpack or mine for many adventures. Here he finally got a proper studio portrait session. His head is less than 2 inches across.

Taken with the 105mm f2.5 @ f11 1/60s, I think, D600, using the full set of K1-5 tubes, which is about 40mm I , two remote strobes. This is a 7 image stack.

To show you what the stacking effect is - here is one of the 7 frames that went into the above image - this is the second one with the nose tip in focus - this is f11, not some f2.5 bokeh shot:

that sun bleached nose up close in 1:1 pixels

Full image here

This takes just a few minutes in Photoshop, and on the camera I only turned the focal ring a little but for each shot. Nothing scientific. You do need plenty of memory on the computer if you want to do this with full resolution files, though. My XP 32 bit system with 3.2GB max RAM couldn't do this.

Peter

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:06 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2724 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Inspired by the education from adjustment by selection. I tried something I always wanted to do

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password