Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2721      
       2723              4304       4305       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2722 #1 · p.2722 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm afraid Nikki has a bad case of extension tube fever... Or perhaps I'M the one with the disease...

Regardless, both Nikki and an extension tube found their way to my camera this afternoon and no one should be surprised at what happened... Magic!

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM
designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2722 #2 · p.2722 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here is an update on my D700.

I am proud to say that I figured out what was wrong with it on my own: nothing.

Here's the deal. As Thom Hogan and others counsel, I have kept my camera in the on position. Normally not a problem. Unless you leave a chipped Rokinon 85 1.4 on your D700 overnight. Drained the internal battery and the grip battery all the way down. Took 3 hours to charge each.

Imagine my smug self satisfaction when I put the first battery back in and everything came right back up!

I am keeping the D700. Just something about it that appeals to me. And others I guess a new one costs as much as a D800.

I will also keep the Fuji for now. Lightroom is getting better with x trans files, and I can't afford a Leica!

Now I just have to find someone who has a 25-50 4 and wants an 85 2 ais!

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:57 AM
GoranPhoto
• •
p.2722 #3 · p.2722 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Nice shot Goran. Yes, it is a great way to occupy oneself without visiting the elements, especially when they are unpleasant.

I'd encourage you to note the setup you're using when you post photos. It helps the rest of us as we refine our eye and make decisions about what lenses and extension tubes to add to our kits. Our celebration includes both sharing photos and experience with gear. To my mind that gives us the best of all possible words. I'm glad you found us and have decided to join the conversation. Fred Miranda is about much more that buying
...Show more

Change by GoranPhoto, on Flickr

You're absolutely right. I always like to see the settings, etc. myself. The shot above was taken with the help of the inverse mounting ring since I don't have any actual macro lenses. The aperture was at f/16 and the shutter at 1/100 sec, ISO 1000. It was processed in Lightroom, where I did the usual sharpening and color correction.

I really wanted to bring out the texture of the in focus bits, so I used a Photoshop technique I learned a while back. Here it is for anyone interested in bringing out details in a way different from simple dodging/burning:

1. Make a duplicate layer of the background layer and select "Vivid Light" as the blend mode.
2. Invert the effect by hitting "CTRL-I" on PC (not sure what the mac command is)
3. With the new layer selected, go into the Filters menu and then click on Blur - Surface Blur.
4. Set both numbers to 40 and hit OK.
5. Depending on file size the next bit may take a bit to finish processing, so this is where I usually go for a snack.
6. Once the Surface Blur effect is applied, hit CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-E which will combine all previous layers into a single new layer.
7. Delete the middle layer.
8. Change the blend mode of the top layer to "Overlay" or "Soft Light"
9. Set a black layer mask over the top layer.
10. Paint in the effect where desired. You can of course adjust opacity, etc. here as well.

I find this process, long though it may be, really helps bring out the detail in macro as well as architecture photography. Let me know how you like it if anyone tries it out.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:59 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2722 #4 · p.2722 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You left out only one thing... the lens you used...

For this one I used the 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd affectionately known on this thread as Nikki since it has traveled around the world, coupled with a PK-13, then "massaged" through Silver Efex Pro 2. Whatever...

Believe it or not, this is a cactus leaf edge...

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:21 AM
GoranPhoto
• •
p.2722 #5 · p.2722 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I knew I left something out

It was the 50mm 1.4 AIS. Ahhh so that's who Nikki is She's a beauty of a lens from what I've seen in this thread.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:28 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2722 #6 · p.2722 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Awesome Chin! Man I love that shot. Rinie would be talking about the "blue hour..." Gorgeous!

+100 Chin. Beautiful image. Great evening colors and nice architecture. A very impressive skyline. Are these building offices, apartments, or both?

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:34 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2722 #7 · p.2722 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/photo/forum_pix/fredmiranda/20mmf3.5/bike_snow_DSC_0496_web.jpg

Peter

Nicely done Peter! This must have been challanging to do.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:38 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2722 #8 · p.2722 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

GoranPhoto wrote:
I knew I left something out

It was the 50mm 1.4 AIS. Ahhh so that's who Nikki is She's a beauty of a lens from what I've seen in this thread.

This is the lens...

Check the WWW listing at the bottom of my post and it will take you to the blog created for this adventure. The lens has been used by 20 people around the world. When I'm finished with it the lens goes back to Ben in Sydney, Australia who generously made the lens available to all of us.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:43 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2722 #9 · p.2722 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

This is the lens...

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UcaI84C7DlY/UVJIksLSWAI/AAAAAAAASvs/bGsDaBm_0-E/s1000/50.1.2.NikkiBuddha.jpg

Check the WWW listing at the bottom of my post and it will take you to the blog created for this adventure. The lens has been used by 20 people around the world. When I'm finished with it the lens goes back to Ben in Sydney, Australia who generously made the lens available to all of us.

And what a journey it has been!

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:49 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2722 #10 · p.2722 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thought I'd try a little blue hour being inspired by Chins wonderful work. Next time a tripod is in order
D600 - 16mm 3.5 1/30 F3.5 ISO 6400

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2722 #11 · p.2722 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You're right Scott. As the lens was traveling through Europe I thought it would NEVER reach the West Coast, but here it is. Amazing. I'm both not surprised and surprised that we were able to do this. Before we began I had complete confidence in the integrity of the folks who'd signed up to be part of the adventure, but then the thought came that despite our best efforts, something could go wrong. Packages do get lost for example.

Yes, Laura has her mishap but she handled that with the skill of a woman who has raised kids... We misplaced a lens hood, but then the lens left Australia without one, so that is hardly a crisis. All in all it has been a remarkable journey. With Ben's okay, I'll keep the note circulated with the lens. I'll make copies available to everyone who would like one, then frame the note. This is surely one of my most prized experiences, due no doubt to the fact I've so enjoyed sharing it with everyone on this thread. Glad you were part of it Scott.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:02 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2722 #12 · p.2722 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Is that the clubhouse for the complex where you live Ray? Looks pretty swanky...

Yes, a slower shutter speed would have dropped the ISO but it appears the D600 is up to the task. Of course, if the photographer has the shakes... that's another matter...

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:05 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2722 #13 · p.2722 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Okay, one last close shot with Nikki and her new best friend, the PK-13...

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:06 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2722 #14 · p.2722 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Is that the clubhouse for the complex where you live Ray? Looks pretty swanky...

Yes, a slower shutter speed would have dropped the ISO but it appears the D600 is up to the task. Of course, if the photographer has the shakes... that's another matter...

Thank you curtis. That is the clubhouse. The lighted area to the right is the exercise room with the latest equipment that I really need to be using. It is a very nice place to live
That last shot is for sure one of the best you've done with tubes!

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:12 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2722 #15 · p.2722 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I see that the 16mm 3.5 ai that was on E-bay sold for $425. Did anyone here purchase the lens - inquiring minds want to know

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:19 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2722 #16 · p.2722 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
You're right Scott. As the lens was traveling through Europe I thought it would NEVER reach the West Coast, but here it is. Amazing. I'm both not surprised and surprised that we were able to do this. Before we began I had complete confidence in the integrity of the folks who'd signed up to be part of the adventure, but then the thought came that despite our best efforts, something could go wrong. Packages do get lost for example.

Yes, Laura has her mishap but she handled that with the skill of a woman who has raised kids... We misplaced
...Show more

Thank you you Curtis for being the spark that ignited all this. What a wonderful experience for all of us, and so nostalgic to look back on. Interesting places she visited, great friends we all have all made, and wonderful stories and sights to share, Sorry to see it winding down but sooooooo glad to have had the chance to be a participant. Leighton and Ben certainly deserve big thanks for their parts in this journey. Leighton for putting the blog together, and Ben for sharing Nikki with us all. If I were you Curtis, I would not rush to send her home just yet. She is having too good of a time!

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:27 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2722 #17 · p.2722 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Frankly, I'm quite surprised to find the 24 so appealing. I've had the 24 f/2.8 AI-s in my kit for quite some time and it hasn't gotten much love, in part because I'm a huge fan of the 28mm focal length. I have three primes at that length including the f/2, f/2.8, both AI-s versions, and the 28 f/3.5 H AI'd that came with my relatively recent fixation on converted pre-AI lenses. I'll admit the 24 f/2.8 H.C. AI'd has taken center stage from time to time since its arrival, but i don't expect it to displace the 28s. But
...Show more

I've always had a spot for the 24mm, probably because I learnt to see that way as it was my first prime lens. The fact that Galen Rowell shot with a 24 a lot probably has something to do with it too. I like the 28 f2.8 AIS I have, but my first instinct typically gets me too close for a 28, then I think through how to make the 28mm perspective work while including the larger scene in the picture. I have seen a couple of tempting 24 NC lenses lately .....

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:32 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2722 #18 · p.2722 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dean, I'm enjoying the vintage motorcycle very much....

Ray, the light and timing on the egret is awesome!

Georg, miseed you photos for quite a while there. Great to have you back, and great shots as well. Especially like the "driving snow in my hometown" shot. I don't want to see any more snow this season personally, but you make the best of it!!

Kevin, super job on the State Capitaol dome shot. Your talents are making the Series E lenses shine!

Curtis, I truly enjoyed the pictures of the bicycle coop, enjoyed the story behind the picture even more. What a great idea!

Mike, welcome. I really like the first shot "conservatory garden in Central Park". The shape and repetition, and lighting is just what the doctor ordered!

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:39 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2722 #19 · p.2722 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
I see that the 16mm 3.5 ai that was on E-bay sold for $425. Did anyone here purchase the lens - inquiring minds want to know

I Bid $325 knowing well I was going to lose (own one already, would buy second if bargain)

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:26 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2722 #20 · p.2722 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
Kevin, super job on the State Capitaol dome shot. Your talents are making the Series E lenses shine!

Thanks Ray! I love the underdog in most things and I think the Series E line is perfectly suited for Dx and most do well in Fx. My plan is to slowly accumulate all of the Series E line. As soon as I can sell my iPod Touch 32gb I will be buying a membership here to sell off some lenses I don't use and start hunting down more of the line. First I want the 75-150 followed by the 35mm. Then the 135mm and the 70-210mm. There is a midrange zoom as well, but I don't know much about it. That one will probably be last.

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:42 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password