Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2717      
       2719              4430       4431       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2718 #1 · p.2718 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mark - I loved the cows and pigs which to me = cheese and ham! Th raptor shots are great and the 2nd is surely a buzzard .

Curtis - you are on a mission! Great shop windows, excellent b&w conversions (with and without Nik) and a really good photo story at the bike repair shop.

Kevin - the dome image is outstanding. Were you lying on your back with your lens perfectly placed under the centre?

Craig - isn't life funny. At some stage one really looks forward to being away from the kids foe a while and then when they're gone one really misses them. Wait for the grandchildren! I like all the "break" images.

Dean - really appropriate conversions for that old moped.

Jose - you have now set a new standard for resolution tests. Most of us have to settle for an ordinary brick wall. Great stuff.

John B - the colours in the Potomac image are beautiful.

Ray - the golden image of the Great Egret is magnificent.

Goran - very nice tube shots just showing again what a fine lens the 105 is

Georg - excellent b&w's and great colour image of the corvette

Scott - cheer up, spring really is here (there0, and you'll be out and about soon! I like the rusting rebar

Rafael - excellent shot of the new ship

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:12 AM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2718 #2 · p.2718 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Haven't had much time this week and will compile comments on each of these terrific images later in the day. Good to see Georg visit back and Ray (FL), loved the warm light behind that white egret.

Rafael's multi-TC setup and his telescope-like lunar image are motivating me to ignore the chill and open the window tonight, setup the tripod (so long as its not cloudy) and point the 500 F4P with the TC-301 + TC14 + TC16A at the moon (will the TCs work chained together?).

Samy

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:02 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2718 #3 · p.2718 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, I'm sure they'll work but your aperture will be tiny. What can go wrong?

Look forward to the results.

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2718 #4 · p.2718 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reflecting on Samy's last post, I've come to realise just how much this thread has evolved since Curtis set us all off on the journey.

At first those of us who had a lens or two joined in with "normal" photos and then we had collective lens lust with many following on one person's lead to acquire more lenses and to show what could be done with them.

Then came the D7000 and D800 NAS and of course the D600 entered the fray.

Ben shared Nikki .. what a show of faith. How well rewarded.

Now we're into showcasing macros and post processed images.

From a small community we've grown to a world wide band with amazing camaraderie and, most important, great tolerance and respect. From a simple "manual focus" lens group we've become a family of photographers with very different backgrounds who know each other as well as any group on the net - all because of the common ground provided by these wonderful old lenses and what they stand for in a world where marketing seems to be more important than quality

My 2c..

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2718 #5 · p.2718 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

WOW! And I thought I was the blabbermouth! 3 pages added since my last visit.

Craig - Lovely use of bokeh and a nice portrait.

Dean - Always nice to see you posting images again. I like what you did with the post work on the bike.

John - I use to stomp around Great Falls when I was a teen in Fairfax. Always good to see images that remind me of my youth, keep them coming.

Ray - That shot with the 180 is just plain outstanding! You nailed the color, composition, reflection and timing with the birds beak in the water. VERY well done.

Goran - Nice images, I like the typewriter keys the best.

Georg - Very nice to see you again, we've missed seeing your work. The snow scenes and the ship are really really good. Don't be a stranger.

Kevin - I like the dome shot, not overly done. With the second one of the building, I would have liked it better if you left out the pipes in the foreground. But that's just my opinion.

Curtis - You have been a REALLY busy guy with Nikki. You may well break the image count with her! I love the "twisted limbs" shot.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2718 #6 · p.2718 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Reflecting on Samy's last post, I've come to realise just how much this thread has evolved since Curtis set us all off on the journey.

At first those of us who had a lens or two joined in with "normal" photos and then we had collective lens lust with many following on one person's lead to acquire more lenses and to show what could be done with them.

Now we're into showcasing macros and
...Show more

Well said Peter.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2718 #7 · p.2718 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:

Now we're into showcasing macros and
...Show more

Very well said, Peter. Summed it up beautifully.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2718 #8 · p.2718 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Well said Peter.

And a hefty percentage of this is your doing, Leighton ... along with Curtis of course ... nice work guys

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2718 #9 · p.2718 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the bike pics.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2718 #10 · p.2718 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Here is looking at you

Both lovely shots, guys ... thank God we're all on the same side these days !!

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

deang001
• • •
p.2718 #11 · p.2718 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Before heading to bed I'll drop a few flower shots taken with Nikki at Marin Art and Garden Center. Not much in bloom but always a lovely place to wander about. And Georg, these are shot at f/2. Nikki doesn't seem to want to stay at f/1.8 so I figure this is the best solution.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Pt4IEetNNcs/UVPG21pSbiI/AAAAAAAATAQ/mpsECogTsKc/s1000/85.1.8.HC.IrisClose.jpg

Very nice, Curtis ... looks like Nikki passes the flower/bokeh test !!

Edited on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2718 #12 · p.2718 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Some of the last shots from Pompeii, perhaps tomorrow I will be posting the firsts from Herculaneum.

These are some brickwork examples from the ancient city, all exposed due to the fact that stucco or other external surfaces were destroyed with the time and or escavations.

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 400, f/8 at 1/400s.
External wall of the House of Apollo, showing at right large rectangular tuff blocks ("opus quadratum") and at the left smaller irregular stones ("opus incertum"). These mixed patterns are not uncommon at Pompeii, perhaps reflecting the 62 AD earthquake that virtually destroyed
...Show more

Wonderful stuff, Jose ... I am dying to get over there later on in the year. Great images and love the commentary as well.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2718 #13 · p.2718 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
New ships for the Navy - a couple of Corvettes will replace the famous/infamous "Schnellboote" ("S-boats").

20/3.5 Ais and a Cokin graduated ND

I hate shooting a ship from the pier :-( the 20/3.5 was used here too

taken from the stern of another Corvette - the PC 85/2.8D was a bit too long for this
- it's time to save big bucks for a PC-E 45/2.8 ;-)
lens wide open, tilt was about 4 or 5 degrees

Awesome, Georg ... but we expect nothing less ! You're super talented.

I wonder if the 20/3.5 is sharper than the 20/2.8 Ai-S at around f/8?

Maybe my copy was not the best, but the 20/2.8 is the only lens I've been disappointed with since switching to the D800e ... and in the corners mainly .. it never seems to sharpen up.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM
m1mgd00
• •
p.2718 #14 · p.2718 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Been lurking in this thread for awhile, so I thought I'd start to share. I've been using MF Nikkors since before there was AF, but my collection has grown in recent years as prices have dropped to absurd levels.

I went to the conservatory garden in Central Park the other day. Spring has only just sprung here (hopefully it will stick around), and there weren't many signs of life yet, but I came away with a few shots I liked.

These are with the 28-50 f/3.5 AIS.

And this one is with the 105 f/2.5 AIS:

Mike

Edited on Mar 28, 2013 at 09:03 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2718 #15 · p.2718 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

m1mgd00 wrote:
Been lurking in this thread for awhile, so I thought I'd start to share. I've been using MF Nikkors since before there was AF, but my collection has grown in recent years as prices have dropped to absurd levels.

I went to the conservatory garden in Central Park the other day. Spring has only just sprung here (hopefully it will stick around), and there weren't many signs of life yet, but I came away with a few shots I liked.

These are with the 28-50 f/3.5 AIS.

Welcome to this thread! I like especially your first shot for the very dynamic composition (I would have guessed it was shot with a shorter focal length). Great start, please keep your pictures coming.

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:04 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2718 #16 · p.2718 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
Awesome, Georg ... but we expect nothing less ! You're super talented.

Maybe my copy was not the best, but the 20/2.8 is the only lens I've been disappointed with since switching to the D800e ... and in the corners mainly .. it never seems to sharpen up.

Thank you, Dean!
In my experience the 20/3.5 Ais has other qualities than sharpness - it's small and light and handles filters very well. For good results in the corners the 20/3.5 needs to be stopped down to about f/11.
I don't own the manual 20/2.8, but added a 20/2.8D to my stable as a lighter alternative to the amazing 14-24/2.8. I've never "tested" the 20/2.8D against the neat 20/3.5.
The mighty AF-zoom is much better than any super-wide I've ever used (I'm talking about 35mm-film-lenses, not about medium- or large-format-lenses).

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:13 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2718 #17 · p.2718 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:

here's a link to a recent full resolution shot with my 20/f3.5, supported on my elbows, pretty low shutter at iso 1100 f8 1/30s with my D600. not the brightest image, but there are enough lines in the bricks and texture in the floor to get some sense of how sharp it is. There is no extra sharpening in that image.

I haven't tried it at infinity yet, but read somewhere that it isn't as good at that end of the focal range. It does very well at close range, though. I may throw the camera in my bag today and snap some shots on my way to work.

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:26 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2718 #18 · p.2718 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, I like the "geometry" of your rust-shot, an almost "wave-like" pattern.

Curtis, the first flower-shot (a Phalaenopsis?, I'm not familiar with plants I don't eat) is spectacular.
I really like your play with the shallow DoF and the soft rendering of the background.
Silver-Efex will take some time to get used to it, but it's well spent time ;-)

Kevin, the dome is a great test-subject for HDR. I would tweak the curves a bit for a more "punchy" look.

Rafael, the San Diego is one hell of a mighty ship! Very nice angle.

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:30 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2718 #19 · p.2718 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the kind comments on my recent pictures - much appreciated!
Here's an image taken a few minutes ago:

spring is late von georgsfoto auf Flickr
taken with the PC 85/2.8 D at an effective aperture of f/7.6

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:33 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2718 #20 · p.2718 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Lovely image Ray!

+1
Loved the yellowish reflection on the water.

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:43 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password