Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2709      
       2711              4168       4169       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2710 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Subsistence fishing! Knysna suffers from chronic unemploiment but quite a few families subsist on small fish caught by women on handlines from the old wharf.

They are quite jolly and apparently make a very tasty "Bouillebaise" type stew from their catch.

Fishing and talking

NIKON D200    500mm    f/8.0    1/800s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Live bait

NIKON D200    500mm    f/8.0    1/800s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2710 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, I'm going to stop wishing for more winter, but those snow shots are gorgeous. I especially like the backlit tree and sunstar.

pburke, great stack work!

Kevin, I like the flowers.

Alan, really nice portrait. Best wishes!

Jose, great tribute to PF.

Goran, beautiful portraits with the venerable 105mm.

Curtis, wonderful shots from the Zen center. I love the close up of the fence.

Thanks Peter. Great people shots, especially "Concentration."

Chin, love the long exposure with the PC-E.

Laura, beautiful shot of a beautifully made vase.

Ray, great flowers.

Ron, the sunflowers photo is really nice. The composition of the trees and sky really add to it.

Philip, great one of Margot!

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:38 PM
designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2710 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some thoughts from a long time Photoshop user (since before Adobe acquisition) on the NIK software bundle offer:

I have been through just about all of the PS and LR actions, plugin, filters, etc since Kai, Russell, John, etc. etc. Most of them simply automate that which long time PS jockeys do instinctively. Additionally, Adobe has incorporated much of the good stuff into successive PS iterations over the years.

That said, the NIK bundle is a good deal, and I would encourage everyone here to consider it. It works with Aperture, Lightroom, and Photoshop.

It is far better in Photoshop, however. In LR, you must convert the image to a tiff or jpeg. In PS you can work on a layer, but, even better, you can work on a smart object (converting the RAW file in CR to a smart object.) Thus you get to see the result of your NIK edits, plus you get to go back to the raw file and change it, without loosing those. NIK has nice interaction with Photoshop brushes and Wacom tablets, as well.

For anyone serious about printing, or about exhibiting images on the web, the NIK Sharpener works quite well. You can apply your own input sharpening, then use NIK Sharpener targeted to the specific output and size you require. Again, it is better in Photoshop, as I have found it easier to resize in PS for the output. For web, just resize in Photoshop. For print, I use Perfect Resize (I have a D700, not enough pixels for an Epson at 360/large prints). Then apply the NIK Sharpener to the resized image.

I have also found Dfine to be the best noise reduction option out there. Don't really use the other NIK apps that often, as I can do most of what they offer in Photoshop myself. But if you don't want to mess with dozens of layer masks, curves, etc. NIK is the way to go.

They are nice people as well, and have some excellent video tutorials at their site. Hope the Google deal does not hurt this aspect.

Any questions, just ask. Not that great a photographer, but I do know this stuff fairly well...

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:41 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2710 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
John, perhaps you want to go LONGER with a 600 f/5.6 AI that appears to be in GREAT condition for under two thousand dollars.

Nikon 600 f/5.6 AI ED-IF on E-Bay

I certainly would, but I've had Jose do some test shots for me as well as getting test shots from another owner and this lens just is not very sharp. Hence if I'm going to be $1K+ I might as well go $2K+ and get the 500/4P. At least that's my logic.

- John

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2710 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Jeff - on review I'm convinced this lens has to either be on a tripod to ensure sharp focus, exposed at >1000th or handheld by Curtis! Because it's light for its length it's too easy to get a bit of shake in there!

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2710 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

For the cold weather cyclists (Monty?)

What's he up to?

NIKON D200    500mm    f/8.0    1/640s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Another crappy day in paradise

NIKON D200    500mm    f/8.0    1/400s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2710 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
I certainly would, but I've had Jose do some test shots for me as well as getting test shots from another owner and this lens just is not very sharp. Hence if I'm going to be $1K+ I might as well go $2K+ and get the 500/4P. At least that's my logic.

- John

Let's get serious John...

Nikon 800 f/5.6 AI on E-Bay

Now you and Jose will have something to talk about...

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:42 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2710 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Or how about this one John? It is so much fun to spend other people's money...

Nikon 600 f/4 AI on E-Bay

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:45 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2710 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Thanks Jeff - on review I'm convinced this lens has to either be on a tripod to ensure sharp focus, exposed at >1000th or handheld by Curtis! Because it's light for its length it's too easy to get a bit of shake in there!

I tried hand holding the 500 Reflex but it was a no go. Part of that is the focal length but the other part doubtless is the shortness of the lens. It really doesn't provide much ballast when mounted on the D700. I have used it a couple of time with a monopod but I think a tripod is definitely the way to go. Here is a shot I took last summer with the 500 C version. The keywords say 400 but it was the 500. I was using both that day and forgot to change the keywords.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:51 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2710 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:

- John

I've been contemplating to buy the "not working for parts only" 500mm f4p on ebay. That crack in the front lens may not really make that much of a difference, and I'm pretty sure I could sell it back for close to what it costs to find out how good/bad it really is...

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • •
p.2710 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Or how about this one John? It is so much fun to spend other people's money...

Nikon 600 f/4 AI on E-Bay

this thread is not good for my finances... I always wanted to get back to a 600f4 - was my favorite Canon lens of all time when I was in the white camp, and this offer is actually something one could justify if one were to "go big" in the process of kit building

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Kry27
• •
p.2710 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

How many fiances do you have, man?

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:45 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2710 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kry27 wrote:
How many fiances do you have, man?

not enough to carry all the heavy glass I want to own

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:14 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2710 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Laura this Nik software is pretty cool stuff. Endless possibilities for sure. I took this the other day with the Leighton lens. 50-135

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    135mm    f/8.0    1/500s    250 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:36 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2710 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
Thanks Laura this Nik software is pretty cool stuff. Endless possibilities for sure. I took this the other day with the Leighton lens. 50-135

Hey that's cool, a lens named after me. Love the conversion BTW.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2710 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s tc-200 teleconverter by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:23 PM
designdog
• •
p.2710 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny, very nice! So that is the standard tc-200 tele convertor? Did not know it was compatible with the 180 2.8 ED AI-s?!

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:35 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2710 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Ronny, very nice! So that is the standard tc-200 tele convertor? Did not know it was compatible with the 180 2.8 ED AI-s?!

The tc-201 is also compatible.

Nice shot Ronny!

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:51 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2710 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter B. love the race car series.
John the 400 is quite a lens. Hold it's own against the latest lenses!
Curtis I love the vista on HWY 1 I remember that house in the B&W from before
Philip what a beautiful child
Chin the time lapse is really cool.
Peter great work on the "fisherwomen" The cyclist are really sharp!
Ron the vignette is first rate.
Ronny I have a TC-200 and never use it. Gonna have to dig it out!
Leighton congats on having a lens named after you

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:56 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2710 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yeah, nice shot Ronny. I once stacked two tc-200's and a tc-14b together with my 300mm f2.8 AIS. The result was not so good

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password