Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2656      
       2658              4428       4429       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2657 #1 · p.2657 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

These frescoes are from the House of Casca Longus - also named "Quadretti Teatrali" House, because the comic and/or tragic motifs of the frescoes found there.

All shots with D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 800, f/5.6 to f/8 at 1/100 to 1/200s, ~30-35% cropped.

Theatrical fresco from the House of Casca Longus - I by labecoaves, on Flickr

Theatrical fresco from the House of Casca Longus - II by labecoaves, on Flickr

Theatrical fresco from the House of Casca Longus - III by labecoaves, on Flickr

Unfortunately the process of escavations, not always proper, and time since then have took its toll on the frescoes, but amazingly there remains some vibrant colours.

Mar 09, 2013 at 10:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2657 #2 · p.2657 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wonderful set Jose. I'm really enjoying your work from Italy. Thanks for sharing these. I loved ruins at Ephesus where floors were mosaics and walls were frescoes.

Mar 09, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2657 #3 · p.2657 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
love these Phillippe...and I especially love the idea of you lying on the ground at the Opera to get that shot

ben

+1

Reagan

Mar 09, 2013 at 10:53 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2657 #4 · p.2657 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just the last two pages, wow!
Jose, superb image after image from trip!

Philippe, +100 on that Opera house in Paris.

And Ben seems to have come out of his hiatus with cool Sydney pics as well as a lively mood, first he takes on Curtis about those lenses, then he takes on all of us here

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2657 #5 · p.2657 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^^^^^^^
Yea, the rain must have him with cabin fever
Kind of got that "Dingo" attitude
I like it

Reagan

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:55 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2657 #6 · p.2657 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Looks a little soft on the edges? yes...no?

Leighton, don't be holding it to New Zeiss standards, it is the first Nikon Reflex lens, from 1960, yes - a little soft in the edges and a little vignetting - but guess what, I love the look. Bought it to get the look on the D3, on the D800 the pixels would be wasted.

On the other hand the center is very sharp.

Edited on Mar 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2657 #7 · p.2657 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
From the Op駻a Garnier, Paris
first two with 50 1.8, other with 28 2.8 :

Philippe, you are an artist, on the other hand how could I compete with a Paris opera here in Escondido................

Paris, Pompei, Ephesus, I give up!
(Or maybe I should move)

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2657 #8 · p.2657 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Philippe, you are an artist, on the other hand how could I compete with a Paris opera here in Escondido................

Paris, Pompei, Ephesus, I give up!
(Or maybe I should move)

When I first posted photos on Trekearth most of the members were from Europe and with their long holidays were heading east to India, Thailand, Japan. I finally gave up and I live just north of San Francisco in a beautiful area. But the glories of Europe and the exotic settings of Southeast Asia offered such delights there wasn't much I could post that measured up.

I've mentioned this before but they did a "treasure hunt" that included a photo of something over a hundred years old. I decided I shouldn't cop out by taking a photo of one of the large redwood trees in Muir Woods that is about ten miles from my home. Instead I went into San Francisco and found what is perhaps the only building over a hundred years old, Mission Dolores. I complained at the time that all the folks from Europe needed to do was turn around and shoot. That said, the competitor in me got me to complete the treasure hunt in first place.

The other big disadvantage we have in this country that our holidays are so short. I tease Rinie over the fact she gets 56 days off every year and also can buy more if she wishes. I think she had over 70 days off last year. She spent nearly three weeks with me that included two weeks in Turkey but before that she took a three week bicycle trip from Rotterdam to Rome. She also had a couple of shorter excursions. If Americans get three weeks off they're fortunate.

So we make the best of what is available to us, occasionally taking excursions to more interesting places, as you did when you took your recent trip south. Doubtless, the key is traveling but that requires both time and money which can be in short supply...

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2657 #9 · p.2657 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So many amazing images here, don't know where to start...

Curtis, I like your Ephesus-shots. The second image works very well as explaining picture.
Love the bokeh on the bicycle-shot ("Made in China").

Jose, excellent images from the "House of Casca Longus". I think the mosaics wouldn't be half as interesting in pristine conditions. Over-restauration is (would be) a sin in my opinion ;-)
Your bird-shots are great as well - love the unusual environment.

Philippe, outstanding images from the Opera! My personal favorite is the second last shot.

Rafael, the vintage 5cm-Nikkor is a beauty. And it's output is for sure not bad for a really old lens.
I like your fisheye-shots as well - the driveway seems to offer almost endless great photo-opportunities.

Chin, love your work on film, especially the graffiti and the images from the market.

Ben, very cool work with the 24PCE! The vertical skyscraper-shot is stunning.

Laura, beautiful portrait of the even-tempered goat;-) I prefer #2 of the still-life.

Tony, congrats to your new 16/3.5! It's my favorite MF-Nikkor right now - I just have to use it less frequently for the newspaper-stuff (editors and readers might think I've lost my other lenses ;-).
Excellent work with NIKKI: love the barbed-wire and the droplets on the spiders web (?) to pick just two personal favs.

Leighton, the colorful tree-shot with the 50-135 is amazing. This picture would make a great puzzle, btw ;-)
The abstract (shadows on the snow) is great and the icicles as well.

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:13 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2657 #10 · p.2657 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some images from this week - but nothing really personal:

protest-rally against savings to the disfavor of children - PC 85/2.8D diagonal tilted (rotated about 30 degrees)

Allein sein fetzt!!! von georgsfoto auf Flickr
from the same rally - "Alleinsein fetzt!!!" - "Aloneness rocks!!!" - Ai-Nikkor 55/1.2 wide open

portrait of a friendly ceramicist - 24/2Ai at f/4, SB800 in a small softbox from the left, bounced SB800 from the right side

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kings_freak
• • •
p.2657 #11 · p.2657 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Well, I spent my afternoon reading about Pompeii ... a lot of hurried Alt-Tabs whenever I heard footsteps near my cubicle

>>

Okay here's more of the market, thanks for the prev comments

I really like these film shots Chin. They feel like they came from an old book.

傍ony

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:41 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2657 #12 · p.2657 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
That is really sharp with the H Ai'd, Curtis.
I got nothing. Didn't manage to get out while the snow was here.

All melted - 20mm 3.5

I like your snowy woods Chuong.

傍ony

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:43 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2657 #13 · p.2657 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Georg. Most of us are just playing while you're out there trying to put bread on the table. I spoke with a friend recently who does landscape photography that is well regarded but doesn't pay the bills. The end of last year he bought a D800 to replace a D700 he sold. He also picked up a 24-70 f/2.8G and this week was to take delivery of a 14-24 f/2.8G. He said ALL the money he earns goes for camera gear and gasoline so he can drive to the wilderness areas where he typically shoots. He joked he'd be rich now because one of his photos will appear on the 2014 Sierra Club engagement calendar, the highest selling calendar in the world. Of course, he simply was paid for the image and makes no royalties tied to sales. Here is the image...

Making a living through photography is challenging I'm sure. I love your work, so it is likely a few photo editors will as well. But you must be a very busy man, shooting all the time. All the best...

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:44 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2657 #14 · p.2657 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

So... after many days of procrastinating, I did my laundry this afternoon. Guess what that means? Bicycle photos... and a few other things as well. These were taken with the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd I bought for myself after buying one for Rinie, who'd already had a spin with Nikki and found herself enjoying the focal length. I've always liked 85mm and at the moment have four primes at that length, three of which are MF. But I wasn't successful finding an H.C. and so we both settled for the older version. It certainly is a fine performer. I'm
...Show more
Another great series Curtis. Hope you weren't stuck at the laundry all day!

傍ony

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:46 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2657 #15 · p.2657 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Curtis, the San Francisco Theological Seminary in San Anselmo Photo shows you were an early DSLR nikkor MF user.

Cadman, great kit for your new D800E, did you receive them all?

Peter, Keurboomstrand looks very nice indeed, your D200 photos have a beautiful yo-no-se-que

Ronny, you have the most beautiful dog in the world, or your photos make it look so

Ron, did you get the TC16A to work? I tried with mine but gave up and bought and already modified one, very useful for sunlit shots with long lenses. Envy your 200-400 4.0

Philippe the Maja painting photo is Maja-estic! and the B&W juxtaposition
...Show more
Love the B&W white Rafael!

傍ony

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:48 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2657 #16 · p.2657 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Last year Amazing Grace music store was torn down to make way for a park. George Lucas lives in the neighborhood and decided to buy the property with its very dilapidated building. He paid for the demolition but more importantly for the shop owner, he bought an adjacent commercial building and did a rather elaborate remodel and the store moved. I visited the old store and took photos I posted on this thread. Today I went back and they were happy to let me take photos. I was most interested in bokeh play with the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd. Below are a few shots... And here is a link to the store.

http://www.amazinggracemusicmarin.com/home.html

And one shot at f/4.

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:51 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2657 #17 · p.2657 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the info on the bubbles Rafael. They do seem very protective, but like John, I like to carry light when possible. The bags he linked to look perfect and not too expensive. It's funny, but at the rod run today they were handing out free beer cozys. The 16mm fit perfectly in it! It just doesn't have a drawstring to close the top, but for free, I thought it a decent solution. I will have to take a picture of it later.

傍ony

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:55 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2657 #18 · p.2657 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
been on the gogo all day, just got home and wanted to post these before I went to sleep so Leighton could see one of them for sure

First two, I'm torn which I like, the first or the second. The 55 is how many years they've been broadcasting, but I also like the bokeh of the second.

I like the separation of the second one. Too bad they couldn't incorporate the 55 years in the sign in front.

傍ony

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:57 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2657 #19 · p.2657 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
lol Curtis - don't go amateur psych on me - yes I do have the 100MP and there ain't no way it looks anything like the nikkor - I'm not saying better - just nothing like.

went out today cause I felt guilty about not taking any pics for weeks. don't know how Sydney ever got a reputation for being sunny - it never shines - never.

And Sydney's overrun with Americans at the moment - yank accents everywhere - first I cop it on here and then out in the streets...yikes!!

ben

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8092/8541539354_989faf9089_b.jpg
saturday - nikon24mmPCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

That first one is awesome Ben!

傍ony

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:58 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2657 #20 · p.2657 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
That's a wonderful self-portrait, Tony. Love the soft light and dark bg

Laura, love the goat photo. Was this with the 200/2? I can see the hairs yet the background's all creamy, fantastic

>>

I've another of the 'cross', this time from the other end of the airwell

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8108/8540026672_8391e1e85c_z.jpg
that you gave to me (Roll 4668 005) by Zichar, on Flickr

I like this version better. Cool building.

傍ony

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:00 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password