Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2644      
       2646              4045       4046       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2645 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Avi B wrote:
A few pictures of the icicles around the office from today.

D300 + Nikkor SC AI'd 55/1.2

I really like the frozen berries in the first shot.

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:36 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mike-in-ak wrote:

Was out with the D3s and the Nikkor 500mm ƒ/4 P ED IF last weekend for the Iditarod. Everyone except the girl is looking at the musher. She's the only one watching the athletes.

D3s - Nikkor 500mm ƒ/4 P ED IF - ISO 1600 - 1/4000 - ƒ/8 - tripod

I will be using this to look for Comet PanSTARRS in the next week or so.

http://www.fortymile.com/images/D3S5781.jpg

Cool shot with a nice lens. This is the first shot I have seen on here with that lens.

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:44 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
One more with the 500 + PN 11 Handheld a la Curtis of our deck also in my PJ's

At about 5 metres -note the bokeh and extremely shallow DOF

That donut bokeh takes a little getting used to! Nice capture, Peter.

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:45 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Very nice images on the last couple of pages everyone!

Laura, I can REALLY understand your pain.

We have about 12 to 15 inches on the ground and it's still snowing. I had to take my air boot off and replace it with chore boots for the first time in 3 weeks. Spent two hours snowblowing the driveway and around the hoop-houses so we could beat the snow off. So far everything is alright although we have lost power. I have the generator running to keep the new chicks warm and have some power in the house. The village we
...Show more
I'm confused by all of the "white stuff" you guys keep posting shots of. It got pretty cold here today, like 64º. We even had some clouds!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:49 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2645 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I visited an out of the way location to check photo possibilities. I'd first found it seven years ago when I was just getting serious about photography and rambled around my home town and the other towns in Marin looking for something fresh. That first time I had a friends Nikon 5700, a 5 megapixel camera with a rather profound shutter lag. It was my frustration with the shutter lag that motivated me to buy my first DSLR, the Canon Digital Rebel, 300D. But I got some good shots with that Nikon including six or seven at this particular location. The sun was setting... there was a bank of fog lying on the distant hill... colors were those of a lovely sunset. I processed the JPG files. I think they were about 1.5 megapixels. I posted one of those photos on Trekearth. It was well received.

It was perhaps two years later when I received an email from a person in the communications department of San Francisco Theological Seminary whose northern California campus is in San Anselmo. She'd seen the photo and wanted to know if the seminary could use it. It was a long, contentious negotiations that led to their licensing the photo for one year. At the end of that time they returned and we agreed on a three year licensing agreement. In the meantime the image had been used on a major recruiting campaign. They printed 10,000 brochures with my image on the front cover. The image now appears in a couple of locations on their website. The licensing agreement expires July 1, 2013 and I've contacted them about renewing it.

Today I found that in the intervening years a couple of trees have grown to the extent that the view I captured years ago is no longer available. But I did take a photo for old times sake. This was shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I converted it to black and white for the fun of it...

I've no idea whether they will renew the licensing agreement. I've made quite a bit of money off that rather humble photo. I guess that goes to show that being in the right place at the right time is a good thing.

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:51 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2645 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Serge Dassault is a friend of mine : he gave me a special price, a reduction of 10%

I get better gas mileage,let's start a plane forum!

Flight Isabelle_113_Nov 2008 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:57 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Good point Peter, there's been a bit of discussion about the 135 f2 recently so I was trying to hold it up to what I used to think was a sharpness standard among my AF lenses. I see the "color-bleed" in the Sigma picture. There's a bit better sharpness and contrast with the Sigma macro, but not a whole lot difference even in the crop. And I much prefer the bokeh of the Nikon in this situation, vs. the pointed eggs of the Sigma, but that's subjective.

Here's a "real world" image at f4, 1/50s, ISO 1000, handheld with the Nikon
...Show more
That lens looks like a winner to me. Good looking kitty, too! I really like that length for some of my portrait work. I have the 70-200mm ƒ2.8 G, that fits the bill nicely, but would like something a little lighter sometimes. I am hoping that the patent I saw filed for the 135mm ƒ1.8 actually comes to fruition!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:59 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mike-in-ak wrote:

Here is a shot of a grizz in Denali last fall with the 500 P. It is a bit shakey as I was shooting on a towel on the hood of my Durango but the vehicle was shaking because my wildlife spotter was busy trying to hide under the front seat.

D300 - Nikkor 500mm ƒ/4 P ED IF - ISO 400 - ƒ/5.6 - 1/400 sec - semi-hand held

http://www.fortymile.com/images/3003689.jpg

Great bear shot. He looks very happy!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:00 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2645 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
... In Central California, we are looking at rain and 50's...

I forgot my sunscreen today and got scalded.

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:18 AM
designdog
• •
p.2645 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot! I have actually been toying with the idea of getting an FM2n and trying some of these lenses with film. Never shot with film, and there is a mini groundswell of folks working with it.

Not for the every day, but just as a lark...

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2645 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Is Fisheye 16mm f3.5 AI better than the 16mm f2.8 AI ?

Better than my 16mm 2.8 AFD,

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:23 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Reagan, Georg, Tony, Curtis, Samy and Rafael for the kind words.

Laura, hope your recover be quick and as painless as possible.

Resuming the Pompeii 2nd day shots, a mosaic at a house's entrance floor:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8372/8532113319_d5edcd6b09_b.jpg
Mosaic at house entrance in Pompeii by labecoaves, on Flickr

6 stitched photos of a mosaic in the entrance (vestibule) floor of a house in Pompeii.
D7000 + Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, ISO 320, f/8 at 1/1600s.
The collar and tongue have a fading but still visible reddish colour.

Very cool mosaic! It's amazing that ANYTHING survived that eruption.

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:25 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.2645 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few with my new D800E and 50mm 1.8 ais. Just went for a walk around town during my lunch hour. SOOC jpegs.

(Waiting on the postman to bring me mint copies of the following - 105/2.8 micro, 20/2.8, 28/2.8 and 200/4 all ais)

The old courthouse. Now a pub !

The local rag

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:46 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
+1 on what Curtis says.

I owned both the 16/3.5 AI and the 16/2.8 AIS. The f/3.5 is slightly better with flare/ghosting with the sun in the frame while the f/2.8 is slightly better with the sun just out of the frame.
The f/2.8 has slightly better sharpness in the center than the f/3.5 wide open (they become equal stopped down), but falls way behind the f/3.5 in sharpness significantly off-center. This was apparent on my D300 and D700, & I suspect would be even more so on my D800.

The 16/3.5 continues to be one of - if not THE - sharpest
...Show more
Awesome set John! Like I mentioned earlier, your shots were one of the main factors in me wanting to get this lens. It looks like the one I am getting was one of the last copies from that particular run. Mine is 276731 and the run ended with 276977, which means it was probably made somewhere in 1976. It's almost as old as I am!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:23 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Excellent shots John!
Here are a couple of my favorites with the 16mm 3.5

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v62/p1304741158-4.jpg

I remember these as well Ray. Good stuff!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:25 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Good that you have a 14 day return. This lens (and FEs in general) are very sensitive to marks/dirt/dust on the front element if you point it into the sun and stop it down. They seriously do show in the final image. I have to keep mine immaculately clean in order for any dust not to show up as slightly blurred portions of the image or unusual flare.

Hopefully this one does you well.

Also note that all three of my copies were way out of whack with regards to what the focusing ring says infinity focus is and what live view
...Show more
Yes, the 14 day return is a nice addition. It will definitely take some getting used to, but I think it will be a fun lens. I will have to check the infinity issue that you are talking about and see if mine does the same thing. Do you have the newer AI versions or the older F model?

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:29 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
The price you quote for the fisheye lens is very good if it includes VAT. And given the price you quote for the 105, you would definitely do much better buying the one Tony has and paying shipping and customs duties. You'd likely spend $550 for his lens with VAT and shipping. But there are only so many lenses and so much time. I trust you'll add to your kit when and how it makes sense to do so. I'm certainly glad you've had the experience of shooting with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s. It is a great lens that incredible
...Show more
+1! Buy mine!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:31 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:

+1

+100!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:31 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
You probably saw another shot but this shot might make into a local hardcover photo book. I have to wait and see.

85mm f1.4
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_7024-Edit.jpg

No, no, no!! I just bought a 16mm, I don't want to buy an 85mm! Seriously thought, this is a beautiful shot of your daughter. Good luck on the book!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:33 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2645 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm really procrastinating with a long list of things on my to do list... that I'm completely ignoring. I've been bitten by the camera bug and playing with my toys. Rather than go to the bank, I mounted the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF, with a TC-201 teleconverter and a PN-11 extension tube. Unfortunately, my effort to enter the correct information in the non-CPU register were for naught and these images show up as 500 at f/8, which was the lens last mounted on my camera.

Here are four leaf studies with the lens hand held but supported by adjacent walls.

The first
...Show more
Nice study Curtis. That is quite a setup!

–Tony

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:47 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password