Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2634      
2635
       2636              5885       5886       end
  

Manual Focus Nikon Glass
  
 
mp356
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #1 · p.2635 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


MarkdV wrote:
Scott - Well done on the Weekly assignment win. I hope you used a MF lens on it.


Thank you Mark. Yes I did use a MF lens, the 105 f4 micro. I used the new to me 16 f3.5 fisheye for this weeks submission topic Urban Decay. I do prefer using the MF lenses whenever possible. The exception for me is if there is fast action where AF would be necessary.



Apr 10, 2013 at 04:46 PM
MDoc9523
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #2 · p.2635 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


mp356 wrote:
Thank you Mark. Yes I did use a MF lens, the 105 f4 micro. I used the new to me 16 f3.5 fisheye for this weeks submission topic Urban Decay. I do prefer using the MF lenses whenever possible. The exception for me is if there is fast action where AF would be necessary.

Way to go Scott!!!!!



Apr 10, 2013 at 04:50 PM
raboof
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #3 · p.2635 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Thank you Mark, Peter, and Scott. I always love the color coming from the D2x.
Spring is here but where are the flower shots?



Apr 10, 2013 at 05:15 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #4 · p.2635 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


I step away for a day and a half and suddenly we're talking about Voigtlander glass?

The natives must be restless... When you run out of Nikkors to buy, I guess you have to expand your horizons. Or in John's case, it is looking for the perfect kit that will fit in his backpack when he's scaling the peaks of Washington state. Clearly, Mihai has the problems with owning too many Nikkors... you can always send me the NOCT my friend... Lighten your load...



Edited on Apr 10, 2013 at 06:28 PM · View previous versions



Apr 10, 2013 at 06:16 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #5 · p.2635 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Dean, I'm happy you've been enjoying my work with Silver Efex Pro 2. Initially, I worked with the series of presets listed at the left. Then I began playing a bit with the sliders on the right to see how each affected the preset. I also checked how filters affected the appearance of the image. Then I began working with the original conversion doing essentially the same thing, working with brightness, contrast and structure before reviewing framing options.

When I began working with Photoshop many years ago, I was definitely a "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" sort of guy. I just started playing. Eventually I watched a few videos, but I basically learned by doing. I did the same thing with Lightroom and am now experimenting with SEP. I discovered that it really isn't possible to make mistakes that can't be corrected. Non-destructive processing is a dream. So the best way, in my opinion to find what you like with SEP, is to just begin moving sliders and seeing what you like.

I began playing with the 020 Fine Art Framed option, then reduced contrast slightly, reduced brightness slightly and added structure. Here is a shot I processed this way a moment ago... barbed wire taken yesterday with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, wide open.




Apr 10, 2013 at 06:27 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #6 · p.2635 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:
Dean, I'm happy you've been enjoying my work with Silver Efex Pro 2. Initially, I worked with the series of presets listed at the left. Then I began playing a bit with the sliders on the right to see how each affected the preset. I also checked how filters affected the appearance of the image. Then I began working with the original conversion doing essentially the same thing, working with brightness, contrast and structure before reviewing framing options.

When I began working with Photoshop many years ago, I was definitely a "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" sort of
...Show more

Curtis, love this shot! SEP's #20 Fine Art Framed preset is nice, but usually renders most subjects too bright.
Your conversion looks just like it should in my opinion



Apr 10, 2013 at 06:41 PM
MDoc9523
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #7 · p.2635 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


We don't have much graffiti in our little town, so when I saw this I had to take a photo.
D600 35mm 1.4 F/8 1/160




Apr 10, 2013 at 07:29 PM
MDoc9523
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #8 · p.2635 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Jose the creator shots are awsome but the pano takes the prize!
Mark beautiful vista on that first shot.
Ray what great timing on your deer photo. Great capture, sharp and wonderfully framed!






Chuong that's a terrific shot of your daughter.
Curtis the post work on the barb wire is just plain GOOD!



Apr 10, 2013 at 07:37 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #9 · p.2635 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:
I step away for a day and a half and suddenly we're talking about Voigtlander glass?

The natives must be restless... When you run out of Nikkors to buy, I guess you have to expand your horizons. Or in John's case, it is looking for the perfect kit that will fit in his backpack when he's scaling the peaks of Washington state. Clearly, Mihai has the problems with owning too many Nikkors... you can always send me the NOCT my friend... Lighten your load...



I know I know - us kids tend to get into trouble while adult supervision is not around - no more talk about such heretical things . . . .

Still hunting a 500/4 P - KEH has one right now for a decent price, but taxes are due next week

John



Apr 10, 2013 at 07:53 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #10 · p.2635 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


MDoc9523 wrote:
We don't have much graffiti in our little town, so when I saw this I had to take a photo.
D600 35mm 1.4 F/8 1/160




Ray, thanks for your kind words on the V1-shots. With a fast lens wide open and at close range the little camera can indeed deliver some shallow-DoF-images. Have yet to try the 35/1.4 on it...
You can be really happy that Graffiti is rare in your town - it's a major pain over here. Some cities seem to have kinda "artistic" sprayers in their community, this is unfortunately not true for my hometown.

Here's one of my very first stitching-tests with the PC 85/2.8 D - 3 vertical shots, shifted to the left, in neutral position and shifted to the right side, taken last year.

"da spellin' is right" - D3s + PC 85/2.8 D - 3 vertical shots stitched



Apr 10, 2013 at 08:04 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #11 · p.2635 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


I came up with a spreadsheet (Excel) that can help you figure out Minimum Focus Distance (not exact, but will give you a ball park) while using tubes as well as magnification ratio's for stacked lenses. If anyone is interested in it, PM me your email and I can send it to you.

I am trying to get this worked out so I can make a web page out of it. The math is right, but with lens variation in MFD, its not exact.



Apr 10, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Mishu01
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #12 · p.2635 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jhinkey wrote:
What I really like about this lens is it's close focusing capability - 0.5 meters, as opposed to the 105/2.5's 1 m. For close-up portraits this makes a huge difference. Also, it's very compact, which is huge for me when dragging my lenses around. It is a stop slower though than the f/2.5 . . .

Plus, if you buy it and don't like it you'll be able to resell it at very little loss . . .

John


I see... I'm not so much for the close focus capability but the very compact form is a big plus for me. Excluding the events I shoot indoor when I take my f/1.4 - f/1.2 arsenal of primes for anything else, special on travel I tend to focus on compact lenses and D600.

CGrindahl wrote:
Clearly, Mihai has the problems with owning too many Nikkors... you can always send me the NOCT my friend... Lighten your load...


I have no any gear list or inventory but in the optimistic estimation the total number of MF and AF Nikkors + Zeiss + Sigma + Tamron + CV (no any Tokina yet) from my shelves may be be equal with the number of your MF Nikkors Curtis! So there is space to grow About NOCT: Nice try my friend!

Having said that I wanna congratulate you for the great job done with Nikki! I was no interfering in the conversation for a time but I am a very careful reader as always. I am stunned by the pictures that you, Ray, Leighton, John, Scott, George, Mark, Reagan, Chin, Peter, Jose, Dean, Rafael, Chuong, Ben, Kenny, Phillipe (and many others I can not list right now) are posting on this unique thread. I wish I can contribute more but for now I have to be patient and focus on some important issues like a soon coming hip replacement, my son graduation, etc... Life was hard to me last six months but I hope is just a temporary conjuncture and I look forward for more sunny days

Keep the good work going please and tell Monty he is missed and so is Rinnie!



Apr 10, 2013 at 08:44 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #13 · p.2635 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Mihai, best of luck for your surgery and lotsa sunny days when you're done with it! I've missed your posts.


Apr 10, 2013 at 08:58 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #14 · p.2635 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


georgms wrote:
Curtis, love this shot! SEP's #20 Fine Art Framed preset is nice, but usually renders most subjects too bright.
Your conversion looks just like it should in my opinion


Great minds I guess Georg...



Apr 10, 2013 at 09:25 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #15 · p.2635 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


georgms wrote:
Mihai, best of luck for your surgery and lotsa sunny days when you're done with it! I've missed your posts.


+1 I'm aware that my hips are a bit more tender than when I was younger, but I hope to avoid a replacement. I have a friend who has had wonderful success and great relief from his surgery. Hopefully you will do as well. You are missed on the thread, but I'm certain you are with us in spirit if not on the thread. We shall be with you as well during your journey.



Apr 10, 2013 at 09:29 PM
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #16 · p.2635 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:
+1 I'm aware that my hips are a bit more tender than when I was younger, but I hope to avoid a replacement. I have a friend who has had wonderful success and great relief from his surgery. Hopefully you will do as well. You are missed on the thread, but I'm certain you are with us in spirit if not on the thread. We shall be with you as well during your journey.


I guess that would make me +2! Take care! Get some extension rings and do some Macro while your laid up.



Apr 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #17 · p.2635 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jhinkey wrote:
I know I know - us kids tend to get into trouble while adult supervision is not around - no more talk about such heretical things . . . .

Still hunting a 500/4 P - KEH has one right now for a decent price, but taxes are due next week

John


If you buy the 500 f/4 P, all will be forgiven...



Apr 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Mishu01
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2635 #18 · p.2635 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


georgms wrote:
Mihai, best of luck for your surgery and lotsa sunny days when you're done with it! I've missed your posts.


Thanks Georg! I appreciate!

CGrindahl wrote:
+1 I'm aware that my hips are a bit more tender than when I was younger, but I hope to avoid a replacement. I have a friend who has had wonderful success and great relief from his surgery. Hopefully you will do as well. You are missed on the thread, but I'm certain you are with us in spirit if not on the thread. We shall be with you as well during your journey.


Curtis, I'm younger than you so my hips must be better but unlike you I spent almost 28yrs under communism. The medical system was a nightmare (it isn't very performing yet... but is somehow improved). While I was a student I was the subject of a bad medical error: doctors confused a banal rheumatic illness with hip tuberculosis. The mistake was discovered 10 months later after they almost destroyed me with a treatment that was against my real problem. It took one more year to start over but I was only partially recovered. Getting older things get worse and I came to that point were I need both hips to be replaced - one of them as soon as possible. I never got any material compensation for what they did to me and actually I fully pay my surgeries in a private hospital (because my medical problem is older than my private medical insurance, so it's not covered...) But I've learned to live with this situation, enjoying the good part of this life i.e. photography, family, friends, etc. And yes, I'm optimist regarding the surgery... despite the fact that I developed a real phobia regarding doctors, hospitals, etc



Apr 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #19 · p.2635 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Mishu01 wrote:
Curtis, I'm younger than you so my hips must be better but unlike you I spent almost 28yrs under communism. The medical system was a nightmare (it isn't very performing yet... but is somehow improved). While I was a student I was the subject of a bad medical error: doctors confused a banal rheumatic illness with hip tuberculosis. The mistake was discovered 10 months later after they almost destroyed me with a treatment that was against my real problem. It took one more year to start over but I was only partially recovered. Getting older things get worse and
...Show more

Wow! Take care and keep us posted on your progress. Sending "Get well soon" prayers your way.



Apr 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2635 #20 · p.2635 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


I got a line on a PK13 tube, for next to nothing... Going to look at it after work and hopefully pick it up. Excited!!!


Apr 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1       2       3              2634      
2635
       2636              5885       5886       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2634      
2635
       2636              5885       5886       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password