Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2581      
       2583              4073       4074       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2582 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
The more I use the 28-45 4.5 the more I like this lens. Some more examples from the West Coast

Peter, this is a very nice set. I especially like the first two images.
Scott

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:36 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2582 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
THe worst part of all this is that I no longer feel a part of this thread. I've posted in a few other threads, but none compare to the friendship I've found here! I'll stay in touch...

Just because the lenses are for sale doesn't mean they will sell. And yes, I'll continue to post....

I've very impulsive. Like a light switch. On then off then back on again. In a year or so I'll probably be buying them all over again

Monty

Monty, this can't be! Who will replace Rocky and the Particle? We are going to miss their mugs. Be sure and keep in touch.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:39 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2582 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ditto to what Ray said with this collection of very sweet images. I love them all.

With regard to the Monty's "machinations," I'd simply observe that some among us have a very short attention span...

Our friends Monty and Reagan have never seen a camera kit that could not be improved by selling it and starting all over again. Clearly, there is nothing wrong with that... it adds zest to life. And there is nothing wrong with AF lenses, though when I pick one up after shooting almost exclusively with MF lenses, I quickly get bored. Of course, I almost never am in a position where I have to get a particular shot at a particular time and practically never shoot anything that moves as fast as a tiny dog. Your shot of Higgs on the Best 800 photos is quite delicious Monty. Were I chasing kids or dogs I'd likely use and AF lens myself. But then I'm more a cat person and as we see from Laura's efforts, cats don't move too quickly...

Have fun everyone, whatever type of lens is mounted on your camera. We may be celebrated MF lenses but this is clearly not the only game in town...

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2582 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

No Swedish girls .. but nice dog instead;-)

Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AI by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AI by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 17, 2013 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:40 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2582 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Moments ago, chilling with her beagle boyfriend

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8481887549_635f1ff4c7_c.jpg
not so spicy (CKC_9231) by Zichar, on Flickr

Fun shot Chin! She is very photogenic. Ours would be trying to rip the stuffing out of the beagle.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:44 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2582 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Tony, Leighton, Ray, and Georg for the comments on the winter scenes.

Georg, really like that door. You should enter it in the WA.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:49 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2582 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Well, to mark the passing of Monty into easy focus and composition, I will take us all the way back to the start of Nikon SLRs and Nikkor lenses. This is the 5cm 1:2 S, not the H or HC, the very first 50mm for Nikon SLR camera back to 1960 or so, there is a fantastic review of it at the link below with a link to a test where you can see it is as sharp as the 50mm 1.8 AFS wide open in the center, the center peaks at 5.6, and the frame gets evenly sharp at
...Show more
I am interested in the Nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 Do you happen to have this one?
I don't know why but this lens is one I haven't heard much about and being the lens connoisseur of the thread I thought you may have some thought?

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:57 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2582 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sun finally out today, so here's a picture of old glory with the 400 5.6 AIS.

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:15 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2582 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
I am interested in the Nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 Do you happen to have this one?
I don't know why but this lens is one I haven't heard much about and being the lens connoisseur of the thread I thought you may have some thought?

Ray, you are going to get me in trouble with Curtis, here is an excerpt of old postings:

Nikkor 5.8CM, best bokeh of all 'normals'

nikon nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 D800 test 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr
5.8cm 1.4. This is purely a historical buy, could not resist the combination of price an condition with original filter and shade. To celebrate most of my 'normal' lenses attended a party:
50mm 2.0, 5.8 cm 1,4, 50mm 1.4 SC, 55mm 1.2 ai, 55 mm 1.2 s and 50mm 1.2 ais.

nikon nikkor normal lenses with filters and shades by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nkon nikkor normal lenses coatings front by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Now, here is a test to make sure this 5.8cm lens I just got works. It is very clean inside, cannot see any defects shining a bright light into it. This lens cannot be ai converted without cutting the ring. It has the easiest aperture ring to take off, you just remove a little screw and it screws off without removing the bayonet mount, however I do not want to cut it. It did not mount on my ai cameras, so I removed the aperture ring temporariliy to mount it on the D800 and make sure it is a good sample.

Here is a link to a formal test where they compare it to the 50mm 1.4G
http://www.lenstip.com/114.1-article-50_years_of_Nikon_F-mount_%E2%80%93_Nikkor-S_5.8_cm_f_1.4_vs._Nikkor_AF-S_50_mm_f_1.4G.html

nikon nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 D800 test 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr
Then tested it while setting the aperture by inserting a little screwdriver in the slide and setting exposure compensation accordingly.

The center is quite sharp at 1.4, maybe the sharpest I own at 1.4, and it softens strongly but gracefully to the edges, could be used artistically if I knew how.

It becomes quite sharp and contrasty as you close it down, at F8 the entire frame is excellent, with some curvature of field. This lens has the best bokeh of all the 'normal' nikkor lenses I know. Check the samples and the crop.

At 1.4 , center is very sharp

nikon nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 D800 test 4 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

at ~5.6 to 8.0, the whole frame is quite nice

nikon nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 D800 test f 8 5 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Check the crop

nikon nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 D800 test f 8 5 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Fully open the bokeh is quite smooth. I don't want to cut it, so it will get very little use until I can get a solution, like the aperture ring from a bad lens that I could use while saving the original.

nikon nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 D800 test 6 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 17, 2013 at 06:37 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:25 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2582 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 105mm f/1.8 AI-s rarely disappoints when I use it for portraiture. It also helps having such a beautiful subject. Margot turned 5 months old a couple of days ago, and is really coming into herself. Here she is having some tummy time, tracking the cat walking across the room. Wide open at f/1.8, near the minimum focus.

Margot by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2582 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Rafael for such a detailed review. It's for sure a lens I will keep an eye out for if I can get it at a good price. These older lenses still have much to offer!

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:43 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2582 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy what a great shot of old glory. Sharp and colorful
Philip you have a steady hand and a great focus ability. terrific shot
Ronnie beautiful shots
Chin that one is a precious shot.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:46 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2582 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just as I posted the flag in the sun from about an hour ago, its clouded up and I see snow flurries outside

Backing up a few pages to go through images ..

John, very nice scenics with the 16mm and the 135 3.5!!

Ben, that first shot with the 24 PCE is terrific, that's just what those PC lenses are meant for. I am presuming that's with some degree of shift. Its a great rendering of the lady and everything in the background.

Curtis, very nice reminder with your shots using the extension tubes. I need to deploy mine with the 55 3.5 micro.

Leighton, I would consider a PC lens such as the 24 PCE or 28 PC as one for a desert island too. Although it may be a bit less useful in a desert??

Peter, I really liked your sets at the fishing village.

Bob, that Bishop's cap is a weird plant but very well taken with the 55 2.8 micro.

Ray, so that's a lens bag specifically, a camera with a lens won't fit in?

Ron, those cracks in the glass ball are mesmerizing.

Kevin, the flower's nice but I really like the bright car, I don't care if you jazzed up the colors in post.

Rafael, those birds of prey were superb, most of all that eagle, it seemed to be telling you something, maybe "you really sure that 5cm non-AIS won't damage your D800??"

James, delicious subject for the 105 + extension tube, and very well executed.

Jeff, Broken Hill against the blue water and perfect sky is very pleasant!

Laura, Felix is what I call a substantial cat, and photogenic at all apertures with the 85 1.4 Looks like its saying "why bother to get up, just move my food nearby.."

Alan, superb shot of the little one, and sounds like you are about to get a lot more busy. 2 is more than double the work

Pburke (did I miss the name?) thanks for posting the DIY collar for the 300. Very nice samples with the collared lens.

Scott, love that barn in the snow, and that reflection shot was neat too.

Georg, loved that gateway+door, and good choice of lens for it!

Peter, that shot at Paternoster at 1st light is super.

Monty, you still have the 16mm and your input is always welcome, so don't feel you don't belong here!

Chin and Ronny, very nice dog images to balance out all the cat images that get dumped here

Philip, precious picture of your daughter with the 105 1.8.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:49 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2582 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ray and Samy

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:06 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2582 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Just as I posted the flag in the sun from about an hour ago, its clouded up and I see snow flurries outside

Backing up a few pages to go through images ..

Ray, so that's a lens bag specifically, a camera with a lens won't fit in?

The camera with lens fits between the two small lenses with lens fitting down between them. Sorry I hadn't adjusted the partitions but it fits perfectly.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2582 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
The 105mm f/1.8 AI-s rarely disappoints when I use it for portraiture. It also helps having such a beautiful subject. Margot turned 5 months old a couple of days ago, and is really coming into herself. Here she is having some tummy time, tracking the cat walking across the room. Wide open at f/1.8, near the minimum focus.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8506/8483112228_50979c6bd9_b.jpg
Margot by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Beautiful image Philip of what is surely the pride of your life... She is gorgeous and this is a great photo. Well done.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:16 PM
bruni
• • •
p.2582 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Beautiful image Philip of what is surely the pride of your life... She is gorgeous and this is a great photo. Well done.

+1

I like the strong light too coming from above - giving her a bit of glow. (Am I seeing some green fringing too Philip?)

ben

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:22 PM
bruni
• • •
p.2582 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael - that is a beautiful collection - in amazing condition - hoods too.

ben

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2582 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

For those folks intrigued by the camera bag Ray showed us a short while ago, I found this link on E-Bay to what appears to be that bag at around the price he quoted... In case anyone is interested.

Nikon Digital SLR Camera Bag

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:28 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2582 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm with Ben Rafael, the lenses look awfully sweet. And at least from my perspective the kind of assessment you offer is very worthwhile, especially in response to Ray's question. This is what friends are for... even cyber friends...

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password