Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2575      
       2577              4146       4147       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2576 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ray. I love that flowers are so available to shoot, at least in the right season. These blossoms suggest that spring can't be too far away, which makes me happy. Cold, wet weather does not appeal to me... Unfortunately, Florida is too hot, too humid and TOO FLAT...

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:07 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2576 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Ray. I love that flowers are so available to shoot, at least in the right season. These blossoms suggest that spring can't be too far away, which makes me happy. Cold, wet weather does not appeal to me... Unfortunately, Florida is too hot, too humid and TOO FLAT...

But Florida has tons of very photogenic alligators too;-)

We still have some snow here and I'm perfectly fine with this fact. Snow till easter, followed by a nice long, sunny spring, followed by a nice sunny and not too hot summer, followed by some nice sunny fall-months until the first snow arrives - now this would make me really happy ;-)

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:06 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2576 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
The local fishermen are a hardy lot and go to sea from a very sheltered bay into the unpredicatble Atlantic in search of Rock Lobsters and other fish as and when they are able to get a quota. The results have to be sold to local fish factories. They go to sea in small boats powered by low HP outboards and have no navigational aids - in foggy weather they stay ashore as quite a number are lost at sea each year.

Some pics..(just after daybreak with the 300 + TC14b on a tripod (Yeah I know I coudl have
...Show more

Peter, love the panos - excellent pictures of your country! The fishermen must be very brave men indeed - the South African waters are known as troublesome.
Btw - don't be too shy on using high Iso-numbers on the D200 - especially pictures converted to B&W can take some grain (the D200's noise is more film-grain-like then the one from the D7000 in my opinion).

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:12 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2576 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, the Dead Trees are absolutely awesome! Your panos and mountain-shots are fantastic in every way, but images like the tree stumps (or the volcanic crater-details, if memory serves) have an extra appeal for me because of their qualities as abstracts.

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:16 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2576 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Peter even shooting on a tripod these speeds seem way to slow to stop the movement of the people. It would be far better to let the camera decide the ISO and put the speed where it needs to be. The noise reduction ability of a program like Llightroom can some in handy. If you have a 300mm plus 1.4 you really need to be at 1/400 as a starting point, even on a tri-pod. Then you can experiment slower speeds if you want to show "movement"
BTW I sometimes shoot that many shots in a day

CGrindahl wrote:
Ray gives good advice though the D200 is not quite so forgiving at higher ISO settings as is the D7000 or the recent FX cameras. But ISO 100 and f/8 are not compatible with high shutter speeds. I would definitely shoot Manual Mode with the 300 so I can set shutter speed at an appropriate level. !/400th is reasonable. And for a shot this far away you could comfortably shoot wide open and have adequate depth of field. You might get away with ISO 400 or 800 in the daylight with those settings.

And don't forget that D7000 prices are softening
...Show more

georgms wrote:
Btw - don't be too shy on using high Iso-numbers on the D200 - especially pictures converted to B&W can take some grain (the D200's noise is more film-grain-like then the one from the D7000 in my opinion).

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

It's not that I'm unaware of the iso requirements merely not thinking of the basics that I learned 40 years ago that I find irritating. Typically one has the camera on a tripod, the image is sharp in the viewfinder and using "aperture" rather than "manual", everything looks great until a week later when you process the shot.

I'm also fighting off the D7000 "A S", Curtis, so get thee behind me!

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:35 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2576 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
John, the Dead Trees are absolutely awesome! Your panos and mountain-shots are fantastic in every way, but images like the tree stumps (or the volcanic crater-details, if memory serves) have an extra appeal for me because of their qualities as abstracts.

+1

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:38 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2576 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:

Thanks Georg - Yes, I purposefully look for abstract images like the tree stumps in landscape images, otherwise I find things get a bit repetitive and boring.
Many people think landscapes are only just wonderful wide angle images, but I think those (like my first image) are the least interesting.

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2576 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
But Florida has tons of very photogenic alligators too;-)

We still have some snow here and I'm perfectly fine with this fact. Snow till easter, followed by a nice long, sunny spring, followed by a nice sunny and not too hot summer, followed by some nice sunny fall-months until the first snow arrives - now this would make me really happy ;-)

Georg, your wishlist really made me smile and brought to mind this song by a famous English comedy duo of the '50's and '60's -

"
A Song of the Weather

January brings the snow,
Makes your feet and fingers glow.

February's ice and sleet
Freeze the toes tight off your feet.

Welcome March with wintry wind
Would thou wert not so unkind!

April brings the sweet spring showers,
On and on for hours and hours.

Farmers fear unkindly May
Frost by night and hail by day.

June just rains and never stops
Thirty days and spoils the crops.

In July the sun is hot.
Is it shining? No, it's not.

August, cold and dank and wet,
Brings more rain than any yet.

Bleak September's mist and mud
Is enough to chill the blood.

Then October adds a gale,
Wind and slush and rain and hail.

Dark November brings the fog
Should not do it to a dog.

Freezing wet December, then
Bloody January again!"

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:43 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2576 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
+1

Thanks Peter!

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:04 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2576 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Nice images Curtis. If Florida is not to your liking, how about a bit of upstate NY in February.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mp356
• • • •
p.2576 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, I really like this painting. Worth posting again. BTW, this weeks WA is tailor made for you, the topic is "Doors".

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:47 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2576 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Ray, Leighton, Ronny, and Georg for the comments on the night street scene.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:49 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2576 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's some more from today with the 135/3.5 AIS and 16/3.5 AI.

John

NIKON D800    135mm    f/8.0    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    1/50s    400 ISO    -1.0 EV  

NIKON D800    135mm    f/5.6    1/8000s    800 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:36 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2576 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Here's some more from today with the 135/3.5 AIS and 16/3.5 AI.

John

John, I really like the third image in this set.
Scott

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2576 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
+1

Thanks Leighton.

The adjacent farming area is really bleak too but as it's winter rainfall, suitable for wheat and your favourites, sheep, almost exclusively Merino.

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:49 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2576 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
John, I really like the third image in this set.
Scott

Scott

Really nice snowscapes and the reflection is excellent.

I can see why my son took his family sledding in the Poconos yesterday!

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:52 AM
OldProf
• • •
p.2576 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is a huge and popular thread (although I think the pictures are repeated too many times).

I still use MF lenses from when I started photography in the late sixties. They are wonderful. Could we make a compilation of what are the best MF lenses in your opinion. I apologize if this has been compiled before.
Saba

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2576 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jeff (Foggy 14)

Congratulations on your assignment win!

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:02 AM
MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2576 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

OldProf wrote:
This is a huge and popular thread (although I think the pictures are repeated too many times).

I still use MF lenses from when I started photography in the late sixties. They are wonderful. Could we make a compilation of what are the best MF lenses in your opinion. I apologize if this has been compiled before.
Saba

Saba welcome to the thread. I can't speak for others but of the lenses I own, the best three would have to be the 16mm 3.5K, 35mm 1.4 AIS and the 85mm 1.4 AIS Each have the own charm and serve well across a wide spectrum, each are sharp and have great color.

Feb 16, 2013 at 07:10 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2576 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

OldProf wrote:

Saba

You may regret this question, it could turn out to be a long list with a long discussion! The next best thing to shooting with these lenses is discussing them.

For me I love the 180mm f2.8 and you can't beat the razor thin DoF of a 50mm f1.2.

KR,
Mark.

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:05 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password