Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2571      
       2573              4300       4301       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2572 #1 · p.2572 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Inspired by some terrific window reflection images posted on this thread by Ben, Philippe, and others, I entered this image in the WA thread. Taken with the 28-50 3.5 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Great shot Scott, it got my vote!

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:33 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2572 #2 · p.2572 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

michaelwatkins wrote:
I'm looking for a lens somewhere around the 20mm focal length (no wider than 18, no narrower than 24. 20 or 21mm would be ideal) for use on my D800. It would mostly get used for distant (cityscapes, landscapes) use handheld and on a tripod, but also for documentary work closer in, grabbing some of the environment along with subjects, sometimes deliberately working with distorted perspectives. If I had a choice between two lenses with different characteristics I'd probably pick the one that delivered the best results out toward infinity stopped down some, for landscape use -- on a D800
...Show more

Best sharpness is the 20/2.8 AIS or AF-D, but it does ghost although flare is very very good
Best for flare/ghosting is the 20/3.5 AIS, but as others have noted it's not the sharpest for distant subjects (but very sharp up close).

My best 20/2.8 is actually my 17-35/2.8 AFS set at 20mm - it's better in all regards than the 20/2.8AIS or D regarding sharpness, flare, and ghosting, but it's heavy, large, and much more expensive (like $1K) and it's not a MF Nikkor . . .

John

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM
bruni
• • •
p.2572 #3 · p.2572 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I'm going to assume since we never see a photo of you riding these things, that you must just fall off all the time and then take a snap!

yeah very funny Leighton....I've only fallen a couple of times.

Here was I thinking you'd think that the reason I'm not in the photo is because I'm taking the photo - you know, like most of the pics here. But I hear ya - one of these days I'll take a wireless remote with me (oh yeah, and a tripod for the camera) and see what happens.

ben

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:08 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2572 #4 · p.2572 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What to do on a rainy day? It looks like it is going to rain all day so I grabbed my 55mm 2.8 Micro and headed out on the patio. My plants are enjoying the long steady watering

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:29 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2572 #5 · p.2572 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
does everyone celebrate Valentine's Day ? me - I rode the freelines and payed with the 24mm PCE.

ben

[urr

leighton w wrote:
I'm going to assume since we never see a photo of you riding these things, that you must just fall off all the time and then take a snap!

bruni wrote:
yeah very funny Leighton....I've only fallen a couple of times.

Here was I thinking you'd think that the reason I'm not in the photo is because I'm taking the photo - you know, like most of the pics here. But I hear ya - one of these days I'll take a wireless remote with me (oh yeah, and a tripod for the camera) and see what happens.

ben

Now THAT would be cool!

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:33 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2572 #6 · p.2572 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

What to do on a rainy day? It looks like it is going to rain all day so I grabbed my 55mm 2.8 Micro and headed out on the patio. My plants are enjoying the long steady watering

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v41/p1431904472-5.jpg

Love the colors in this one Ray. You have been doing some outstanding work lately, keep them coming.

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:35 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2572 #7 · p.2572 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just had to relay this story from yesterday. Many of you know that I work at a junior college. Recently I moved into the Fine and Applied Arts department (where photography and other arts disciplines are taught). Yesterday, some beginning photography students were out shooting all manually (shutter/aperture/ISO/focus) and were tasked with determining proper exposure using a grey card. They were told to take a shot of a grey card (shooting only JPEG) to figure out what the settings should be for the subsequent shot of their subject. The girls were using a used D60 that didn't come with the manual. They were really struggling and were packing up when I went to run an errand. I stopped and asked if they were shooting the flowers (they are dying, but look very cool, will be shooting them on my break today). They were, but had to follow certain guidelines. They told me the problem that they were having with the camera. On the D60, there is a manual mode, but the girls could not figure out how to adjust aperture since there was only one wheel. I found that you had to press and hold a button next to the shutter (her camera had a ghost image left from where the little aperture logo was). They were very pleased. I gave them a few tips for shooting in that kind of harsh light and they were off. It was nice to give back like so many of you do with relative noobs like me. Thought I would share.

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2572 #8 · p.2572 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks

Really great shot Scott, Ray ,Ben, Mark, Samy, Reagan, Tony and Curtis

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2572 #9 · p.2572 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

22 pages in 6 days!!

Can I ever catch up!!

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:55 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2572 #10 · p.2572 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Leighton and Ronny
Kevin glad to see you are paying it forward

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.2572 #11 · p.2572 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My wife took a photo of our sheep one evening last year. One of our friends who is an outstanding artist saw it on FB and asked if she could make a painting of it. She did and this is the result. She used a combination of paint and different colored strips of magazine paper and clued it to a board. I thinks it's marvelous! The photo was great too.

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    55mm    f/8.0    1/100s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:05 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2572 #12 · p.2572 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
My wife took a photo of our sheep one evening last year. One of our friends who is an outstanding artist saw it on FB and asked if she could make a painting of it. She did and this is the result. She used a combination of paint and different colored strips of magazine paper and clued it to a board. I thinks it's marvelous! The photo was great too.

Very nice!

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:16 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2572 #13 · p.2572 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Just had to relay this story from yesterday. Many of you know that I work at a junior college. Recently I moved into the Fine and Applied Arts department (where photography and other arts disciplines are taught). Yesterday, some beginning photography students were out shooting all manually (shutter/aperture/ISO/focus) and were tasked with determining proper exposure using a grey card. They were told to take a shot of a grey card (shooting only JPEG) to figure out what the settings should be for the subsequent shot of their subject. The girls were using a used D60 that didn't come with the
...Show more

I don't understand gray card to much, so I end up skipping them! I dont get how to take the gray cards picture, does it have to cover the entire photo? would light not reach it then? is it ok to tilt the gray card so that the light source hits it directly? i have used it, and it seems right at times, but i am unsure if it is correctly used? do i use auto, or m mode, does it need to be in focus? thanks for hearing me rant!

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:21 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2572 #14 · p.2572 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Very nice!

Thank you amigo!

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:25 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2572 #15 · p.2572 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
I don't understand gray card to much, so I end up skipping them! I dont get how to take the gray cards picture, does it have to cover the entire photo? would light not reach it then? is it ok to tilt the gray card so that the light source hits it directly? i have used it, and it seems right at times, but i am unsure if it is correctly used? do i use auto, or m mode, does it need to be in focus? thanks for hearing me rant!

Most people say that it is used to get exposure "right"... I say it is used to get exposure close. When I have used it, I have it within the same light as whatever I am shooting, having the card essentially reflecting the light into the lens. I set aperture, shutter, and ISO to get the little light meter centered. If I shoot with these settings, it usually comes out properly exposed, but a little flat. That is why I say its used to get it close.

I made the mistake of going on a shoot as a helper and the 2nd unit forgot their card. I lent them mine and in the crazy that ensued, I never got it back. I need to get another one, its a very useful tool.

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:52 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2572 #16 · p.2572 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Most people say that it is used to get exposure "right"... I say it is used to get exposure close. When I have used it, I have it within the same light as whatever I am shooting, having the card essentially reflecting the light into the lens. I set aperture, shutter, and ISO to get the little light meter centered. If I shoot with these settings, it usually comes out properly exposed, but a little flat. That is why I say its used to get it close.

I made the mistake of going on a shoot as a helper and
...Show more

This is one reason I shoot RAW. So easy to change white balance in post if need be.

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:57 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2572 #17 · p.2572 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
This is one reason I shoot RAW. So easy to change white balance in post if need be.

Yeah, I have read that multiple times, so since then I have been shooting just NEF's! I just wondered though, if I did it correctly! I still can't get why AWB adjusted in light room 4 can seem so different, sometimes I like the before look, sometimes I don't! Oh well, I still have lots to learn, especially in processing!

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2572 #18 · p.2572 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

...Show more
Thanks for the information, and time! Yes, for me, I settled on using auto settings on my camera to shoot the grey card, also, i tilted it to absorb the light source I was shooting in, and thank Nikon, my D700 has enough presets to save multiple sources, however, I have been set to just NEF aka RAW to shoot, so I could just adjust in Lightroom, not the best option for everything, I assume, but, it lets me be lazy! I also read using a plain white paper could also set the AWB, but thats another weird learning curve!

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2572 #19 · p.2572 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A Monster of a Drink. A hand held production. Featuring, the Nikon D700 and the ever loved, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS, cuz we crazy folks do it manually

a Americo.Rodriguez photo-43 by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2572 #20 · p.2572 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:

...Show more

Kevin, very nice story! Sometimes I get asked to help somebody with it's digital camera and usually I'm completely lost in the menus.
But it gets worse when I get asked to snap a picture with somebodies smartphone - now that's really deep trouble for me ;-)
I'm glad to hear you could help out.
Btw, I've tried all kind of gizmos to get a proper white-balance, but lately I think that whitebalance and exposure are basically a personal thing - the "technical correct picture", regardless if produced in the camera (JPEG) or later from a RAW, is in many cases not the one with an appealing look. But a grey-card is a good tool as a reference nonetheless.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password