Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2537      
       2539              4433       4434       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2538 #1 · p.2538 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I got it to show at 1.8 by going through the stops slowly.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:48 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2538 #2 · p.2538 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Thanks Ray - I think all of them were shot wide open, except for the pano.

Maybe others have found this too, Nikki reports as being at f/2 on my camera when the aperture is set to be wide open at f/1.8. Perhaps the AI conversion is not quite exact.

I found that I had to hold the aperture ring over on 1.8 to use it. It wanted to slip back to f2.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:49 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2538 #3 · p.2538 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Must be my camera then - I just tried it again and twisted with some force all the way open I can't get my camera to report f/2. There is definitely a snap at the f/2 position.
Oh well, it won't affect me other than it will be reporting f/2 when used at f/2 or f/1.8.

- John

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:53 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2538 #4 · p.2538 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Adam Bavier wrote:
Thanks everyone for the compliments. It was cold, around 15 degrees F. Sunrises and sunsets always make everything better - even make it feel warmer. Just minutes later it started transitioning to the blue hour and things cooled up greatly.

I'll have to start bringing my tripod along with me, so I can set the camera to the time-lapse mode, and then get the dog and me in the shot. Would have worked well, since the path is right there.

Welcome Adam. I look at that photo and quite naturally shiver since I spent the first 27 years of my life in and around Minneapolis. I still have relatives in Maple Grove though they moved there long after I headed west, so I've seen the area only when passing through on I94 on the way north to visit other relatives. My last visit was almost three years ago, but I had the good sense to come in summer, not winter...

You're a brave man to take your gear out into that weather. I hesitate when the temperature plunges to 40 above zero...

I'll look forward to what you have to share, especially as spring arrives and Minnesota begins to display its lush greens. It is a lovely place... to visit...

Welcome again.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:22 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2538 #5 · p.2538 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Must be my camera then - I just tried it again and twisted with some force all the way open I can't get my camera to report f/2. There is definitely a snap at the f/2 position.
Oh well, it won't affect me other than it will be reporting f/2 when used at f/2 or f/1.8.

- John

This is going to be a very silly question knowing what a techie you are John, but did you enter the lens correctly in the non-CPU register? Then another thought crosses my mind. Are you the first participant who has mounted the lens on a D800? Have we found an aberration in that new camera? Inquiring minds...

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:25 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2538 #6 · p.2538 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
This is going to be a very silly question knowing what a techie you are John, but did you enter the lens correctly in the non-CPU register? Then another thought crosses my mind. Are you the first participant who has mounted the lens on a D800? Have we found an aberration in that new camera? Inquiring minds...

Curtis, Mihai used her on a D800.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:28 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2538 #7 · p.2538 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-NIKKOR-MF-28-50-MM-F-3-5-NIKON-NIKKOR-28-45-MM-F-4-5-COLLECTORS-ITEMS-/121062814525?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1c2fe7f33d

Chuong, the seller even lowered the price to 275.00 for both lenses:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-NIKKOR-MF-28-50-MM-F-3-5-NIKON-NIKKOR-28-45-MM-F-4-5-COLLECTORS-ITEMS-/121062869211?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1c2fe8c8db

Unfortunately he does not ship overseas

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:47 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2538 #8 · p.2538 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Yep, first thing I did was check that I had it entered correctly in the non-CPU lens section. It's likely just my particular camera . . . .

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2538 #9 · p.2538 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Curtis, Mihai used her on a D800.

Leighton, your CPU is brilliant

Yes, I've been using Nikki both on D800 and D7000. In my experience the 1.8 position was very unstable but with some care was still possible to use it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:56 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2538 #10 · p.2538 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:

Yes, I've been using Nikki both on D800 and D7000. In my experience the 1.8 position was very unstable but with some care was still possible to use it.

Not too bad for an old fart!

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2538 #11 · p.2538 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
***** BLOG UPDATE *****

John has demonstrated rather well that Nikki can be a versatile lens as evidenced by his first post.

I love the neon!

I'll look in to some sort of gallery.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/02/johns-first-post.html

John has a wonderful idea there. Perhaps the easiest way to do it would be to create a companion Picasa account with a separate album for each photographer. If you organized the images that way on your computer Leighton, it is amazingly simple to upload them to Picasa. They have software you can download that permits you to select albums for upload, which can happen automatically. You could even add text from the blog in the description of the album. Here's a link to my Picasa account so you can see how the albums are displayed...

I opted to stay with Picasa although Zenfolio is a much more attractive website, specifically because it is so easy to add photos to an album on my computer that is then automatically uploaded to Picasa. At least on a Mac Zenfolio has no such option.

Curtis Picasa Albums

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:15 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2538 #12 · p.2538 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
***** BLOG UPDATE *****

John has demonstrated rather well that Nikki can be a versatile lens as evidenced by his first post.

I love the neon!

I'll look in to some sort of gallery.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/02/johns-first-post.html

CGrindahl wrote:
John has a wonderful idea there. Perhaps the easiest way to do it would be to create a companion Picasa account with a separate album for each photographer. If you organized the images that way on your computer Leighton, it is amazingly simple to upload them to Picasa. They have software you can download that permits you to select albums for upload, which can happen automatically. You could even add text from the blog in the description of the album. Here's a link to my Picasa account so you can see how the albums are displayed...

I opted to stay with
...Show more

Curtis, thanks for the idea, but I think I found a way to do what John wants right inside of Blogger as another page. But I'm going to wait until we are finished before I do anything. I don't want to run the risk of doing something stupid and messing it all up!

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:20 PM
Paul Gabel
• •
p.2538 #13 · p.2538 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:

- John

John,

My 85 1.8 H-C with a factory ai-ring does the same (on a D700).

Paul

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:29 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2538 #14 · p.2538 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Interesting discussion. I believe some of the intermediate stops don't show up on at least one of my manual lenses. Maybe 1.4 in either the 50 1.2 or 55 1.2? There's a "snap" as John says, but the aperture reading only changes when I get down to 2. Will have to confirm.

Something I have thought about is that if the blades are in a particular intermediate setting which is not read, the aperture readout will be wrong. Would need to verify by looking at the blades when the lens is off the camera. For example, going between 5.6 and 8 there's plenty of stops that you see in G lenses. So the camera maybe reading 5.6 while the actual aperture is 7.1 in an older manual lens? Or am I overthinking this?

Samy

Mishu01 wrote:

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:39 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2538 #15 · p.2538 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I just had a wild idea... When you mount the lens onto the body, have you tried having the aperture already set to one of the extremes? Say, 1.8, to see if it reads it right?

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:40 PM
David Antilley
• •
p.2538 #16 · p.2538 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Thanks Ray - I think all of them were shot wide open, except for the pano.

Maybe others have found this too, Nikki reports as being at f/2 on my camera when the aperture is set to be wide open at f/1.8. Perhaps the AI conversion is not quite exact.

I have the same thing with my copy of Nikki's sister.

David

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:49 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2538 #17 · p.2538 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I noticed new growth on a plant near the walkway I use every day and thought it might be nice to document the fact. It is still winter in the Bay Area but we've had a few days with temperatures in the upper sixties and today, though there is a chill in the air had a high of 56. I guess the plant is ready for spring. I hope it is not disappointed...

These were taken with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a PN-11 extension tube mounted, shot wide open in manual mode at 1/400th of a second. Natural light in Aperture Priority was giving me only 1/200th, so I needed a boost from Auto ISO, though I didn't need it in the first shot.

New leaves seem intent on crowding out last years leaves. There are even some blossoms that want to make an appearance.

And all the while, the bent leaf is still hanging on...

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:22 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2538 #18 · p.2538 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
And one that's not on the blog because it would break Leighton's web page:

John

http://www.seanet.com/~hinkey/Nikki/NikkiPano1.jpg

John, beautiful image with Nikki. I think this is her first view of the Pacific Ocean since Hong Kong!

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:33 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2538 #19 · p.2538 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Just to show how this old lens performs at 10 metres (~30 feet) of distance, wide open.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8505/8447926246_287fdef819_b.jpg
Flower with Nikkor 400mm f/5.6K ai'd by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 K ED non IF ai'd, supported on the window sill, ISO 500 at 1/250s, ~15% cropped.

Very nice Jose. Looks great wide open.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:35 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2538 #20 · p.2538 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
And one that's not on the blog because it would break Leighton's web page:

John

http://www.seanet.com/~hinkey/Nikki/NikkiPano1.jpg

Gorgeous, John! Love that blue!

–Tony