Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2466      
       2468              4307       4308       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2467 #1 · p.2467 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jammyn wrote:
Thanks a lot for that tip --- I did not know that.

Leighton, I have enjoyed the many images you have posted with your 180f2.8, and I was actually motivated to purchase the lens based on yours, and the wonderful images of the other posters in this forum.

Thanks for the input, and I have cropped out the second bird and reposted the image:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8515/8380761476_7b963c3c9d_b.jpg
White Egret by Macrudite, on Flickr

Agree with Leighton, an already great photo improved a lot here. Great isolation from the background.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2467 #2 · p.2467 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks, Georg, Ronny, Ben, Peter, Jeff and Tony for the comments.

Rony, again gorgeous dog shots with the 135/2;

Mark, incredible details, mostly at the feathers;

Ray (Ohio), loved the rust set;

Georg, great application of the reversed 50/2; I liked the OOF background too.

Tony, another killer pano.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM
vpik01
• • •
p.2467 #3 · p.2467 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tony in CA - What an interesting Monday! I thought I had a long day but in no way did I have to deal with burning equipment... thanks for your comments !

Ben - those freeline's are wild, I haven't seen anyone riding (is that the right term?) them around DC yet. Nice set with the 24 PCE. How do you carry the camera when your on the freeline's?!?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2467 #4 · p.2467 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

**** BLOG UPDATE *****

Morning everyone, I have just long enough to post my last blog entry. We had 5 lambs born at 6am this morning, and 9 more ewes due today or tomorrow. See you later!

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/01/leightons-fourth-and-last-post.html

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2467 #5 · p.2467 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have been lurking, nice work Judith
Ben, I knew you would get a 24pce
Great work everyone
Just wanted to post #2000 here

Reagan

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:15 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2467 #6 · p.2467 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Here is the most recent shot of the "Boat" building on the ARC campus.

Series E 28mm f/5.6 ISO200

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/8382383784_06a9e98ae7_b.jpg
DSC_6004 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Kevin, I like this composition. Nice lines and geometry.
Scott

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:15 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2467 #7 · p.2467 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
Beautiful job Tony!

Tony

+1 Tony. Very nice!

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:18 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2467 #8 · p.2467 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
Tony D - love that plane shot, nice mood.

rode the freelines yesterday - don't think the 24mm PCEi s really the lens for the freelines

ben

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8196/8383256546_e487b7f869_b.jpg
QVB - the nikon version - 24mmPCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Nice series Ben. I like this third one!
Scott

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:21 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2467 #9 · p.2467 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
Came into work today to a small fire in the main motor of one of the presses. Always scary when that happens. (Yes, it has happened before.) Thankfully it was just buildup inside that had caught fire and after being serviced, we were able to get back to printing.

Now off to catch up on the 10 pages I missed over the weekend!

Tony

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8514/8383137136_8e1703f327_b.jpg
Must be Monday... by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Looks nasty Tony. Glad you got it up and running again.

Thank you for the comment.
Scott

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:24 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2467 #10 · p.2467 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
**** BLOG UPDATE *****

Morning everyone, I have just long enough to post my last blog entry. We had 5 lambs born at 6am this morning, and 9 more ewes due today or tomorrow. See you later!

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/01/leightons-fourth-and-last-post.html

Wonderful work with Nikki Leighton! It has been great to see your part of the world. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a busy few days for you.
Scott

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bruni
• • •
p.2467 #11 · p.2467 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

vpik01 wrote:
Tony in CA - What an interesting Monday! I thought I had a long day but in no way did I have to deal with burning equipment... thanks for your comments !

Ben - those freeline's are wild, I haven't seen anyone riding (is that the right term?) them around DC yet. Nice set with the 24 PCE. How do you carry the camera when your on the freeline's?!?

Tony D - I don't carry the camera on the freelines - I ride over to the basketball courts on my bike and ride them there. I'm not too good on them - I like a nice smooth surface and the courts are great for that.

Congratulations on the lambs Lieghton - good luck, but don't do a Curtis - come back please.

ben

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:02 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2467 #12 · p.2467 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tony this is such a beautiful photo - well done!

Mike I especially like this one with the cabin lights on.

Ben this one shines for me

Leighton I really like the abstract art!
Georg what a great shot!!

Leighton I love this one

Rafael the Western Union Typewriter is really cool
Jose this one has the WOW factor

Ronnie The shepherd shots are wonderful. Kinda 3D
Ray amazing shot of the rusty tracks

Jammyn I really like this one but some how the crop seems a little off. Perhaps a portrait crop?

Kevin you are doing some nice work with the 28mm, Don't neglect the 80-200

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:03 PM
retrocyclist

Account locked
p.2467 #13 · p.2467 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My first post here although it feels I know many of you – this thread is a very special resort on the Internet, full of inspiration, encouragement and a lovely tone of voice. Thanks to Curtis for starting it, and to all you others for contributing!

I am presently in Havana, Cuba, since a few months, for work(!). Before going here, I agonised for weeks on what equipment to bring. Small & inconspicuous seemed to be the right recipe. Then, luckily, the Nikon D600 was released a couple of weeks before we left. I bought my copy of this amazing camera on the day of release and sold my D7000 a week later. This meant I could now reconsider what to bring, and this was really a feast!

Suddenly, all my little wideangles made sense. Not only that, as I tested them on the D600, it turned out most of them performed surprisingly well.

My intent was to be able to walk around in Havana and other parts of Cuba with the camera in my hand, one little lens attached to it and another lens in my pocket, or in my wife’s handbag. But I could bring a few more than two and select what two to bring, depending on where we were going.
So this is what it all boiled down to:

From left to right:

Nikkor 18 mm f/3,5 Ai-S
Amazing lens on the D600, excellent at all stops, excellent all over from f/5,6, very low distortion and I also have had no issues with vignetting. I chose between this lens and the 20 mm f/2,8, both the Ai-S model and the AF-D. I hope to get back to the details and differences later.

Nikkor 24 mm f/2,8 AF-D
Works fine on the D600; a favourite focal length. I chose between the 24mm f/2,0 which has a lot of personality and the 24mm f/2,8 in both manual and AF versions. Finally I chose the AF because it tells the D600 to correct for distortion and because I felt that one AF lens among the MF ones was perhaps a good idea.

Nikkor 28 mm f/2,8 Ai-S
This lens is even better than its rumor… for some obscure reason, I never miss focus with this lens and, just like the 18mm, it is excellent at all stops, with almost no distortion. When documenting brick walls, it has one flaw – the outermost 2-3 mm of the image are still a little soft at f/5,6 and perhaps even at f/8 (or is this just my copy?) Therefore, if you look only at the centre and the corners you might be led to miss its greatness. Bokeh, from what I have seen on this thread, is more relaxed than the 2,0 version but I have never tried that one myself. I did choose between this lens and the very compact E version, though. Hope to be able to get to details later on.

Nikkor 35 mm f/1,4 Ai-S
A magnificent lens with a split personality. Wide open, dreamy and creamy. Stopped down, bitingly sharp, one of my sharpest lenses. Very simple focusing. I chose between this and the 35mm f/2,0, both the Ai and Ai-S versions (they are different) and the 35mm 1,8 DX.

Nikkor 50 mm f/1,8 Ai-S
The little compact pancake. Strange to say, the focusing is excellent, absolutely one of the best I have had, smooth and damped. The optics are fine but I find focusing difficult and shy away a little from using this lens. Strangely, on the D7000 I could not even manage to get a sharp shot despite trying all I could + using the green dot. I chose between this lens, a 50mm f/1,4 AF, a 55mm f/3,5 Ai Micro-Nikkor and a 60mm f/2,8AF-D. The pancake won on the merits of its compactness and weight.

This is the lens mounted on the D600 in the photo - I did that in order to be able to post on this thread!

Nikkor 105 mm f/2,5 Ai-S
I have had this lens before on my Nikon FA and was not really impressed by its sharpness. Today, I believe this may be due to my problems focusing this lens – I often miss by a trifle. My eyesight is excellent so I have been a little wondering about this. Any others have this problem? I chose between the 85mm f/2, 85mm f/1,4, 105mm f/1,8, the 100mm E and the 75-150mm E. The brightest two were ruled out due to size and weight. Will be happy to get back to the differences later on.

Nikkor 28-200mm G
A one-in-all solution to add a little tele extension, a little close-focus and a little AF… ok lens when stopped down somewhat. Amazingly small, even pocketable! Haven’t used this lens much.

One of the stunning things about the Nikon D600 and these lenses is how they work as a system. So amazed was I that I started writing a blog about it, called Nikonsystem - I am trying to cover this, and a lot more than I can ever write in a forum on FM and besides, the blog allowed me to post a few pictures here on FM. It is not commercial, but just written for my own fun and I will add at least a handful of more posts on other things you can do with a D600. If anyone is interested the blog can be found here: http://nikonsystem.blogspot.com

The other main content of the blog is about the D600 body. I am not sure that everyone fully understands what the Nikon D600 (or D800) are capable of in terms of image quality. In fact, I believe that if you are a raw shooter, and maybe one who prefers to set your ISO manually, you may have missed the point of this camera.

The D600 is not an evolutionary camera, the way I see it. By improving the sensor output to the extent that Nikon (& Sony) have done in the D600 and D800, the output has entered a new territory where it is possible to use these two cameras in a completely different way than we have been used to.

Exploring my new D600 and a few of these new aspects of using it, I also found that they (as far as I can find out) are new to the collected Internet wisdom on these cameras.

Much of what I found is related to the jpeg output. As a start, you can push shadows an extra couple of steps even from your jpeg pictures.

This is a jpg straight out of the camera, Nikon D600, 50 mm f/1,8 Ai-S pancake lens shot in A mode @ f/2,8.
Matrix metering, no exposure compensation. Camera chose 1/3200 s and ISO 100. ADL set to Auto, picture control Standard, Saturation +1. The picture was taken in Stockholm, September 2012, afternoon light with strong backlight and very harsh contrasts which is the reason that it came out a little underexposed. (Or maybe the exposure is fine, this depends on what you want - we cannot allow histograms to decide our exposures, can we?)

This is the same jpeg picture 12 seconds later, pushing shadows:

I am planning on writing a lot more about this, and also other aspects of the D600 (+ D800) jpeg capabilities, as well as my experience with other MF lenses.

Best, Gabriel

Edited on Jan 15, 2013 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2467 #14 · p.2467 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I got to use my friends D600 by myself today I set it to vivid and used the 105 2.5 I sure am glad I didn't sell it
I noticed the Aperture doesn't show up in the exif just 0.00
I put my lens in the cpu registry so I don't know why it didn't show up
Even though Nikon put the Buttons in all the wrong places I am starting to like it $$$$$
I thought I used to shoot the D700 in Shutter Priority but the 600 only gives me A and M to work with
Anyone else shoot in Shutter Priority with their D700 It's only been a week I can't have forgotten already
Thursday is my EXORCISM day and tomorrow is prep day. I can't wait

Another winter day in Florida

Reagan

It was in Lightroom where it wouldn't show I have Lightroom 3 Maybe 3 didn't support the 600 but seems like the lens should show up
Never mind it is in Lightroom now It sucks to get old
Does Lightroom3 support D600?

© Reagan 2012

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    28mm    f/2.8    1/3200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

© Reagan 2012

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    105mm    f/5.6    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

© Reagan 2012

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    105mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

© Reagan 2012

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    105mm    f/4.0    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:15 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2467 #15 · p.2467 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Shutter priority is NOT available on D600 or any Nikon DSLR unless you have the manual lens chipped. It would be available on an auto focus lens.
BTW I think you should get the D600

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2467 #16 · p.2467 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Kevin you are doing some nice work with the 28mm, Don't neglect the 80-200

Right now, the opportunities for the 28mm are bountiful and for the 80-200...minimal.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2467 #17 · p.2467 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
I got to use my friends D600 by myself today I set it to vivid and used the 105 2.5 I sure am glad I didn't sell it
I noticed the Aperture doesn't show up in the exif just 0.00
I put my lens in the cpu registry so I don't know why it didn't show up
Even though Nikon put the Buttons in all the wrong places I am starting to like it $$$$$
I thought I used to shoot the D700 in Shutter Priority but the 600 only gives me A and M to work with
Anyone else shoot in Shutter Priority
...Show more

Hi Reagan. I like your series, especially the first one of the bird (pelican?) Good luck on the prep, after that it is a piece of cake.
Scott

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:36 AM
bruni
• • •
p.2467 #18 · p.2467 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Shutter priority is NOT available on D600 or any Nikon DSLR unless you have the manual lens chipped. It would be available on an auto focus lens.
BTW I think you should get the D600

yeah me too Reagan.....don't overlook the D800E - it's phenomenal and while you've got your cash at the ready you might as well push the boat out (is that an expression in the US?)

ben

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:17 AM
bruni
• • •
p.2467 #19 · p.2467 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi Gabriel

welcome.

stimulating first post .

I have a D800E - and I'm one of those people who like to shoot raw and like to set ISO manually - was interested to hear that I've missed the point of this camera................

ben

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:22 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2467 #20 · p.2467 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
yeah me too Reagan.....don't overlook the D800E - it's phenomenal and while you've got your cash at the ready you might as well push the boat out (is that an expression in the US?)

ben

nope, not that i know of bruni! xD
Push the boat out
Meaning

To spend generously. To spend more than one is normally accustomed to doing, often to mark a special occasion.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/push-the-boat-out.html

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:36 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password