Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2464      
       2466              4368       4369       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2465 #1 · p.2465 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philippe - Killer shot of the "monk"?

Jammy - Good to see you again, and congrats on getting Reagan's lens. The 180 is definitely a must have. Nice Egret shot, but sense you asked for C&C....I'd like it better if it wasn't for the Egret on the right. It either needs to show more of the bird or none at all, IMHO.

Steve - Good to see you again also, and the 105 is another must have!

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2465 #2 · p.2465 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Gonna take me awhile to go through all the posts!
Before I forget though, Leighton, I've a friend who does ICM photography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_camera_movement
There's a few groups on flickr, very nice, soothing, pleasing images
Thought yours was executed like a pro! I've tried them before, it's tough to get right

Chin, thanks for the link! I'd like to say I planned the shot that way, but it was purely by accident. Maybe I'll actually work at it in the future.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2465 #3 · p.2465 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Buddies.

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    85mm    f/4.0    1/800s    4500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Jammyn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2465 #4 · p.2465 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Jammy, egrets or Ibises?

Rafael:

They are ibises. I love to take pictures of them, so I guess I should bone up on my bird terminology

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Jammyn
• •
p.2465 #5 · p.2465 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Jammy - lovely ibis image. Did you use a separate light meter, the Sunny 16 rule or guess the exposure? Whatever you did it was well done.You probably know that you can use pre ai lenses with the D40 and they are significantly cheaper than the Ai and Ais versions.

Thanks a lot for that tip --- I did not know that.

leighton w wrote:
Jammy - Good to see you again, and congrats on getting Reagan's lens. The 180 is definitely a must have. Nice Egret shot, but sense you asked for C&C....I'd like it better if it wasn't for the Egret on the right. It either needs to show more of the bird or none at all, IMHO.

Leighton, I have enjoyed the many images you have posted with your 180f2.8, and I was actually motivated to purchase the lens based on yours, and the wonderful images of the other posters in this forum.

Thanks for the input, and I have cropped out the second bird and reposted the image:

White Egret by Macrudite, on Flickr

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:38 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2465 #6 · p.2465 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jammy, I really like the "original" ibises-image for it's unconventional framing. Beautiful birds, nicely captured. Welcome to this thread!

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:42 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2465 #7 · p.2465 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, beautiful B&W on "Buddies". The D600 seems to work nicely at higher ISO-settings. Thanks for your comment on the "Garden gate". It's a peaceful view indeed and somehow lovely old-fashioned (the gate).
I've shot it with a bunch of different cameras and lenses. Closest to the posted image was my take with a 6x6 Rolleiflex SL66-camera (focusing is done with a tiltable bellows between camera-body and lens).

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:49 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2465 #8 · p.2465 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Steven, very nice candid portrait! Welcome to this thread!

Philippe, amazing low-light-shot at the church (or abbey). Your work is truly inspiring.

Ray, love the rust-shots, especially the first and the last one. The 20/3.5 works great here.
Were the inner rails made for very small wagons ("Lore" in German) to move grain without locomotive?

Mark, neat set-up for macro-shots! Very nice detail-images of the pocket-watch.

Ronny, I like especially the second image of your buddy.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:06 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2465 #9 · p.2465 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
P.S. Georg - nice set just posted, especially the garden gate, lovely use of the PC lens. I still like to see more hockey shots from your MF lenses (although I know if your there for work the more important job is to get a good shot for the paper.)

Oosty wrote:
Georg - I like the snow images. The goalie is also excellent. Wouldn't the 105 be perfect for ice hockey?

Thanks! From time to time I try to use MF-Nikkors for sports, but I just get better results with AF-lenses on most occasions. Here's a snap taken with a 105/1.8 on a full-frame-camera to illustrate the field-of-view of a 105. Cropped just a tiny bit. The 105 seems to be a good candidate for scenes around the goal; I'm just not able to focus quick enough. This was shot at f/2, 1/640sec at ISO 4000 and through safety glass. Focus is somewhere on the ice and the amount of CA's is a bit high for my taste.

not a presentable sports-picture, posted just to illustrate my problems with MF-Nikkors at the rink...

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:20 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2465 #10 · p.2465 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments on the snow-pictures!

Inspired by Jose and Kevin I've tried a 50/2Ai with a reversing-ring. It's also a first try at focus-stacking:

Rose focus-stacking try von georgsfoto auf Flickr
withered/dried tiny rose: 3 shots at f/2 (Ai-Nikkor 50/2 via BR-2A on a D700) stacked in PS - bounced flash

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jammyn
• •
p.2465 #11 · p.2465 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:

Inspired by Jose and Kevin I've tried a 50/2Ai with a reversing-ring. It's also a first try at focus-stacking:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8380724202_6f2e47f6c9_o.jpg
Rose focus-stacking try von georgsfoto auf Flickr
withered/dried tiny rose: 3 shots at f/2 (Ai-Nikkor 50/2 via BR-2A on a D700) stacked in PS - bounced flash

Lovely capture. I use a PK-13 with a few of my lenses, and I find it maddening to get my flowers/images in focus but results are astounding once captured just right

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:04 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2465 #12 · p.2465 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Jose, beautiful set from the "Sayaca Tanager". Amazing, the juvenile bird looks like it's already the size of it's mum. Your bird-pictures are - not just from a technical point of view - spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

+1 Jose. Wonderful bird images.
Scott

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:15 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2465 #13 · p.2465 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some more images taken today. I don't wanna flood this thread, I'm just happy to see some snow and sun after long weeks of rain and deep grey skies;-)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8354/8376881441_f1d3b4effa_o.jpg
old garden gate - a favorite subject, 85/2.8PC tilted

Very very nice Georg!

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:17 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2465 #14 · p.2465 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
As promised, rust.

and apologies to Leighton (and others) for the curvy and slanted lines. The horizon level indicators in my D800 showed that I was level at the time of the capture

All with the D800 and 20mm f3.5 AI.

Nice rust. I especially like the first image.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:19 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2465 #15 · p.2465 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Buddies.

Very nice image Leighton. Have all the newborns arrived?

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:25 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2465 #16 · p.2465 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Jammy - lovely ibis image. Did you use a separate light meter, the Sunny 16 rule or guess the exposure? Whatever you did it was well done.You probably know that you can use pre ai lenses with the D40 and they are significantly cheaper than the Ai and Ais versions.

leighton w wrote:

Jammyn wrote:
Thanks a lot for that tip --- I did not know that.
Leighton, I have enjoyed the many images you have posted with your 180f2.8, and I was actually motivated to purchase the lens based on yours, and the wonderful images of the other posters in this forum.

Thanks for the input, and I have cropped out the second bird and reposted the image:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8515/8380761476_7b963c3c9d_b.jpg
White Egret by Macrudite, on Flickr

Personally, I like this one better!

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:55 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2465 #17 · p.2465 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:

Way cool flower shot Georg, and thanks for the comment.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:56 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2465 #18 · p.2465 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Very nice image Leighton. Have all the newborns arrived?

Thanks Scott. No, we are about a quarter of the way through. We work in the barn for awhile, and then we come back to the house and take a break. The ewes are checked on every 2 to 4 hours around the clock until they're all done. It gives me a chance to post a little in between births.

Side note: The part of farming nobody ever sees is what I have to do later this evening. We have a ewe that's probably not going to make it. So I'll have to put her out of her misery. It's a job I don't much care for.
If you've ever seen the British TV series All Creatures Great and Small, it depicts farming very well.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:03 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2465 #19 · p.2465 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Personally, I like this one better!

I also like this one better, but I was going to suggest a portrait crop rather than a landscape crop.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:18 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2465 #20 · p.2465 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Scott. No, we are about a quarter of the way through. We work in the barn for awhile, and then we come back to the house and take a break. The ewes are checked on every 2 to 4 hours around the clock until they're all done. It gives me a chance to post a little in between births.

Side note: The part of farming nobody ever sees is what I have to do later this evening. We have a ewe that's probably not going to make it. So I'll have to put her out of her misery. It's
...Show more

Sorry to hear that one of the ewe's is having problems. That can't be easy for you. On a lighter note, those newborns are cute as the dickens!

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password