Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2353      
2354
       2355              5891       5892       end
  

Manual Focus Nikon Glass
  
 
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2354 #1 · p.2354 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


I love the blog Leighton, but frankly it is a pain in the ass trying to post comments. When it isn't "wigging out" as you put it, you need to go through a security process and then await approval for comments to be posted. My latest attempt is lost in cyberspace somewhere. I know this isn't your fault. In fact, you've done an amazing job with the blog, but I understand why there are so few comments. It is not worth the effort...


Jan 23, 2013 at 08:36 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2354 #2 · p.2354 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:
I love the blog Leighton, but frankly it is a pain in the ass trying to post comments. When it isn't "wigging out" as you put it, you need to go through a security process and then await approval for comments to be posted. My latest attempt is lost in cyberspace somewhere. I know this isn't your fault. In fact, you've done an amazing job with the blog, but I understand why there are so few comments. It is not worth the effort...


Actually Curtis, I was forced to make the security changes with the comments. I was getting spammed a couple of times a day before I made the changes. I try to check for comments on a regular basis and publish them just as soon as I can. Sorry for any inconvenience.



Jan 23, 2013 at 09:14 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #3 · p.2354 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Welcome back, Curtis!
I'm glad you could find the time to show up here again;-) The fisheye over at Adorama is a late K-variant - I'll sleep over it and decide tomorrow (if the lens is still available).
Import duties and taxes add up and sending an item back in case it's broken would be a hassle-rich operation...
Sorry, I have no MF-Nikkor's to show, but two and a half images taken today with a 135/2Ais:


Strom longitudinal CA's von georgsfoto auf Flickr
into the light - no correction for the longitudinal CA's just to illustrate the shortcomings of this lens
the conditions were hard for most lenses, to be fair - D3s, 135/2 Ais wide open, ISO200, 1/8000sec


Strom von georgsfoto auf Flickr
I like the B&W-version better


Heimat L von georgsfoto auf Flickr
I'm not happy with the framing here (couldn't get the windows right) - D3s, 135/2 at f/4



Jan 23, 2013 at 09:24 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #4 · p.2354 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Curtis, the leaf-picture is spectacular! Beautiful work with textures and shadows, angles and DoF.

Peter, now that bird-shot is an eye-catcher! Reminds me of the pop-musicians of the 80's ;-) Good job with the 300/4.5/TC14-combo

Chin, another excellent poodle-portrait! I like the monochromatic style of the series a lot.



Jan 23, 2013 at 09:33 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #5 · p.2354 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


kwoodard wrote:
I have a question for the B&W artists here. It seems that many of you use Silver Effects Pro with your images. What other ways do you use? Simply desaturating images is Ok, but they tend to look flat and boring. I want my images to look alive and have the potential to illicit an emotional responce. Anyone willing to share some of their tips/tricks? I have PS5.1 and get to play with PS6 sometimes. I hope to get Lightroom, but don't know if I need it with PS and Bridge.

Thoughts? If you all think its too far from
...Show more

Kevin, SilverEfex is a powerful tool - with almost endless ways to process a given image. I'm a lazy fella and usually start with one of my favorite presets ("push +1.5" for instance) and go from there. Starting from a scratch is possible too - and probably the best way if the final look of an image is already in your mind.
If you have a specific question please let me know.



Jan 23, 2013 at 09:44 PM
bruni
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2354 #6 · p.2354 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:

Don't worry Leighton... when I die Sue will stop by to make the announcement.

It is nice to see so many familiar names on the thread and to note that those with questions are getting great advice. That is one of the great things about this thread. These lenses are timeless, so there will eternally be newcomers curious about what the fuss is all about. There may not be many lenses left for me to buy, but my love for the ones I have is undiminished. Now I just need to put them to work.

http://lhg




I don't believe it. Curtis who?? I used to know a Curtis on this thread - but dont think his name was Grindahl?

ben




Jan 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2354 #7 · p.2354 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


George, I like the B&W version better too. Is that amount of CA normal for this lens?


Jan 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Mishu01
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #8 · p.2354 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
Actually Curtis, I was forced to make the security changes with the comments. I was getting spammed a couple of times a day before I made the changes. I try to check for comments on a regular basis and publish them just as soon as I can. Sorry for any inconvenience.


Love to see the Patriarch showing up with His grace

Leighton, I'm not familiar with blogspot but these blogs usually let you set that only the first comment from a user to need approval, then the other comments to be published instant. This is the most elegant way to fight against the spam... without to transform commenting in a PITA. Please check if blogspot has this feature.



Jan 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2354 #9 · p.2354 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Mishu01 wrote:
Love to see the Patriarch showing up with His grace

Leighton, I'm not familiar with blogspot but these blogs usually let you set that only the first comment from a user to need approval, then the other comments to be published instant. This is the most elegant way to fight against the spam... without to transform commenting in a PITA. Please check if blogspot has this feature.


Unfortunately, Blogger doesn't allow this.



Jan 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM
saph
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #10 · p.2354 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Kevin, I have never tried Silver Efex, but have used the convert to B&W function in PSE. There's some custom presets as well as slider tweaking you can do. You can get beyond simply taking color away and ending up with drab grayscale with PSE. Of course Silver Efex must have a lot more options to try out.

Ray, super pictures of your hometown. That's as far as I got on your Nikki blog.

Did Curtis really use the word "abated" for his contagious disease that he passed on to too many on this thread?

Samy

georgms wrote:
Kevin, SilverEfex is a powerful tool - with almost endless ways to process a given image. I'm a lazy fella and usually start with one of my favorite presets ("push +1.5" for instance) and go from there. Starting from a scratch is possible too - and probably the best way if the final look of an image is already in your mind.
If you have a specific question please let me know.




Jan 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



saph
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #11 · p.2354 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Peter, interesting species!

Georg, nice use of the 135 f2, converting to b&w takes care of the CA. Recent acquisition? On another topic, I looked online for the Heinkel book you mentioned has been recently authored, but didn't see it. Must be only available over there.



Jan 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM
saph
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #12 · p.2354 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


It was 13 deg F early this morning. The winter sky is clear these nights, the moon is up and the stars are many, but no way am I stepping out into that Artic weather

Oosty wrote:
It's hard to keep them steady when your teeth are chattering!! Brrrr.




Jan 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #13 · p.2354 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


leighton w wrote:
George, I like the B&W version better too. Is that amount of CA normal for this lens?


Leighton, the conditions (harsh sunlight and water/ice/snow) are challenging for every lens. Under normal conditions the longitudinal CA's of Nikon's fast 135 are not that much pronounced, but still visible.
I have just two longer lenses who are completely free of LoCA's - the fat and expensive 200/2 AF-S and an old Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 (lens mount changed to Nikon).
The 70-200/2.8 VR1 is already pretty good when it comes to this kind of aberrations, I still have to check out the 180/2.8ED.
Here's the same image re-processed. ACR can remove a lot of CA's:





Jan 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #14 · p.2354 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


saph wrote:
Peter, interesting species!

Georg, nice use of the 135 f2, converting to b&w takes care of the CA. Recent acquisition? On another topic, I looked online for the Heinkel book you mentioned has been recently authored, but didn't see it. Must be only available over there.


Samy, the book (a paperback or a brochure, don't have it yet) is just available over here in a small bookshop. The second print/ issue should arrive this week.
As far as I know there are just two "industrial" buildings (or their remains) belonging to the "Heinkel-Werke" here - but I was surprised that many residential houses belonged to Heinkel too.
For more informations I have to read the book.
I'll keep you informed.
Btw, that 135/2 was one of my first MF-Nikkors - I got it used in the late 1990's.



Jan 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM
asiostygius
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #15 · p.2354 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Thanks Jeff!

Welcome back Curtis!

Georg, have you tried Capture NX2 or even the free ViewNX2 for fixing CA?



Jan 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
asiostygius
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #16 · p.2354 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


I know, I know this would be blasphemy for many 16/3.5 owners, but it is just me:
I made a "rectilinearized" 3-shot pano with this lens + D7000.
As I am not a B&W expert, I used in camera B&W mode + built in red filter of my old 16/3.5 F ai'd.

An ordinary view from my kitchen window.


3-shot pano with Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd by labecoaves, on Flickr

The 3-shot pano was "rectilinearized".
Taken with in camera B&W mode + lens built in RED filter (R60) to darken sky and bring contrasty clouds.
D7000 + 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd supported on the windowsill, ISO 100, f/8 at 1/40s.



Jan 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM
mp356
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2354 #17 · p.2354 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:

I see that John continues to take good care of us all with his information about the glorious 16 f/3.5 fisheye lens that comes in various flavors. As he notes above, I'm am that happy recipient of his largesse since he was willing to actually sell his first copy to me, the K version with the Nikion AI conversion kit installed. It is one sweet lens...

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Nv9kDvfGklQ/T6mN9IrIpbI/AAAAAAAAMp4/-usP7s0A9AQ/s1000/16.3.5.LibraryStacks.jpg




Hi Curtis! Good to see you posting. I like what you have done with the fisheye here. Looks like a beautiful old library.
Scott



Jan 24, 2013 at 01:28 AM
mp356
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2354 #18 · p.2354 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


asiostygius wrote:
I know, I know this would be blasphemy for many 16/3.5 owners, but it is just me:
I made a "rectilinearized" 3-shot pano with this lens + D7000.
As I am not a B&W expert, I used in camera B&W mode + built in red filter of my old 16/3.5 F ai'd.

An ordinary view from my kitchen window.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8378/8408725055_016a7980d9_o.jpg
3-shot pano with Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd by labecoaves, on Flickr

The 3-shot pano was "rectilinearized".
Taken with in camera B&W mode + lens built in RED filter (R60) to darken sky and bring contrasty clouds.
D7000 + 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd supported on the windowsill, ISO
...Show more

Wow Jose! Neat pano with an unusual lens. Well done.
Scott



Jan 24, 2013 at 01:34 AM
kings_freak
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2354 #19 · p.2354 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


mp356 wrote:
Wow Jose! Neat pano with an unusual lens. Well done.
Scott

+1!

Tony



Jan 24, 2013 at 02:01 AM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Account locked
p.2354 #20 · p.2354 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Luna Bleu, my beautiful black cat!

a.Rodriguez.photo- by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr



Jan 24, 2013 at 03:37 AM
1       2       3              2353      
2354
       2355              5891       5892       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2353      
2354
       2355              5891       5892       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password