Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2209      
       2211              4431       4432       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2210 #1 · p.2210 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I like the pumpkins Monty.

One of my daughter at the market yesterday. The scars are getting less and less noticeable from 2 years ago when the reckless driver nearly killed her.

This is a beautiful photo Leighton. I've no doubt the auto accident was a traumatic time for your whole family. Certainly anger is a natural response, but at heart, these moments put us in touch with the fragility of life. Things can change so fast and in ways that are completely bewildering. I imagine you are all incredibly relieved that the pain is increasingly behind you and you can simply love one another. That, of course, is what matters most in this world. It is beautiful that photography can be used to express and capture that love.

Here is a photo I took on Saturday of my partner Sue. The look in her eyes says it all for me. This was shot with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s.

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:22 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2210 #2 · p.2210 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

tswitzer wrote:
Thanks to all for the suggestions for the camera bag and the comments on the pictures. That gives me some good ones to check out.

Also, I have located a 180 AIS in great condition and should have it by the end of the week! And so it begins (continues?) .... Now I just have to get rid of the 17-55 2.8 and the 70-200 VR1. I never thought I would say that as I love both but going with cheaper zooms now and "investing" the difference in MF glass. I must say though I won't miss carrying those monsters around!

And
...Show more

Glad you found us Tod. It seems pretty clear that these MF lenses are tickling your fancy, as they have most of us hanging out on this thread. And yes, like eating potato chips, you can't stop after eating just one...

Liberating funds from AF lenses that aren't getting much use is also a time honored strategy for folks who hunker down in this thread. I've probably sold close to 20 AF lenses, many of which are of professional quality. I have no regrets.

And don't forget as you're musing about where to re-invest that money, Nikon makes some excellent zoom lenses that often appear on this thread... the 50-135 f/3.5 AI-s, 25-50 f/4 AI-s and 80-200 f/4.5 AI, are among my favorites. Stick around and you'll have a great time and doubtless learn quite a bit about manual focus lenses and shooting. It is a different world, one that fully engages the photographer. Finding these lenses completely changed and reinvigorated my relationship with photography... and I'm not alone...

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:37 PM
montym
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2210 #3 · p.2210 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
This is a beautiful photo Leighton. I've no doubt the auto accident was a traumatic time for your whole family. Certainly anger is a natural response, but at heart, these moments put us in touch with the fragility of life. Things can change so fast and in ways that are completely bewildering. I imagine you are all incredibly relieved that the pain is increasingly behind you and you can simply love one another. That, of course, is what matters most in this world. It is beautiful that photography can be used to express and capture that love.

Here is a photo
...Show more

Very nice portrait!!
That 105mm is a great lens. It used to be my favorite

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:18 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2210 #4 · p.2210 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Thanks for posting that comment Monty, about how Nikki has reinvigorated your passion for photography
I’ve enjoyed everything you’ve posted so far
It got me browsing through the blog again from start to end, and reminiscing on my own experiences with
It reminded me that I too, was in a rut, until I received that brown box and then everything was in a blur, swept in a whirlwind of shutter clicks, hastily made plans and meticulously laid ones; cancel an appointment here, take the day off there
Thanks for the timely reminder, I feel a second wind coming…

Wonderful to read this Chin. I think photography, unless you're a pro, loses it grip on one's emotions and time every so often. Finding a new source of inspiration is important, in whatever form that takes. For me, the hunt for my next MF lens kept me going for quite some time. But I've bought all the lenses that first intrigued me, as well as quite a few older lenses that Ben introduced me to. I toy with the idea of a new camera, the D600, perhaps, but shopping isn't really working to inspire me at the moment, so I have to find other ways to do that. My Saturday photo shoot with a friend was inspiring. In fact, shooting for friend always gets me going. But I fully expect that Nikki's arrival will propel me to get out and shoot big time. I even have some preliminary plans for where I'll go and what kind of shooting I'll do. It will be something a bit different I expect.

Our lens adventure has given us many gifts, not least, getting to know one another a bit better. We've created a pretty fine community of photographers on this thread and Nikki has definitely played a part in its building.

Edited on Nov 14, 2012 at 07:41 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2210 #5 · p.2210 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
Very nice portrait!!
That 105mm is a great lens. It used to be my favorite

I don't believe you've shot with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s Monty... it is the big brother of your f/2.5 lens. In the hand it feels more like the 85 f/1.4 that you love so much. If you're ever in the San Francisco Bay Area I'll let you shoot with it, as well as the 135 f/2 AI-s. I love the slower lenses at those focal lengths, especially the 105s but there is something quite wonderful about having a bigger lens on the front of your camera.

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:34 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2210 #6 · p.2210 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, your Smoky Mountain photos are premium quality. Love how you compose images and the care you give to post processing. Really beautiful work.

John, I've been loving the shots from Hawaii, especially the distant shots with clouds and mountain ridges. Beautiful work from a beautiful part of the world.

Have to laugh at the discussion about clipper length... I use number 3 on my Wahl beard clipped and am quite happy with it. I'd never in a thousand years use it on my head!!!

Dean, love your travel photos. You're inspiring Rinie and me to consider a trip to Southeast Asia next year. I note you've modified your file names to designate the lens. That works really well for me. Love seeing your work at 20mm... such a fine lens when in tight conditions. And I just noted you were shooting with a D800E... I missed that upgrade. Congratulations!

Love seeing these MF lenses used in sporting events Samy. It was done for a long time before AF lenses arrived on the scene. You're demonstrating it is still possible to do with good technique. These are fine shots.

So wonderful Philippe seeing your always outstanding work coming to us via a different lens. I think that tells us that as important as the particular lens might be, it is the capability of the photographer both to catch the shot and then process it digitally that makes all the difference. Wonderful work with the modest 50 f/1.8 AI-s. Not too bad with your other MF lenses either...

Chin - having a dog in your life has seriously affected your photography in the sweetest way. I'm really enjoying both photos of your dog and of other dogs that appear to have come into your life as a result. I'm an animal fancier so seeing dogs and cats appear on the thread is a delight. Keep em coming!

Love the panoramas Jose regardless of the lens you use... gorgeous colors with the dramatic skies and sun lit foreground. Wonderful work!

Monty, your black and white conversions continue to tickle my retail shopper about Silver Efex Pro 2. You gotta stop doing this! Great work with Nikki... I especially love the street shot on your way out for coffee. I've been brewing a bit of French Market now that temperatures have fallen a bit. Mmm good! And your 12 Steps had me laughing so hard I almost fell off my chair... Great work!

Ian, loving your BW shots from the Isle of Skye. I traveled through Britain and Scotland for a month with a Citreon Dyane I'd bought in anticipation of spending a year in Edinburgh and the route took me to Skye and around the north edge of the Highlands. It is stark, beautiful country but I wasn't into photography at the time, so the images I have are all in my mind. It is lovely to see some real images.

Chuong, very sweet photo of your daughter in the hammock. Kids definitely can inspire us to keep shooting!

Ed, the old mine cart closeup is my kind of shot. Nicely seen and executed with the incomparable 105 f/2.5.

Georg, over and over you entertain us with delicious shots. I love how you play with composition so odd angles capture our fancy, as in this set. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2204#11114282

Awesome beach shots Peter... summer is on its way!

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:42 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2210 #7 · p.2210 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I made it back folks... now to run another errand. I'll end with the photo my friend chose for the jacket of her book... she'll know for certain shortly whether the publisher gives the go ahead. She and a friend spent four years putting this project together. This was shot with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s.

At f/2.8, 1/125th of a second, which required ISO 6400. Lightroom helped with the noise reduction. The actual image was cropped a bit differently to satisfy the publishers requirements.

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:46 PM
clouseau

p.2210 #8 · p.2210 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

About 8 hours as it is right now , i will be looking foreward to the weekend , where it wil be possible to shot a little . We are heading for the forrests looking for mushrooms , my wife will be caring the basket i will be looking out for my camera with a 105/1,8 mounted hopeing for some nice shots

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:54 PM
Big Appa
• • •
p.2210 #9 · p.2210 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, in every way!

Beautiful lady, well lighted, well done.

I forgot..the one of Sue ain't too bad, either!

Ed

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:30 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2210 #10 · p.2210 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I don't believe you've shot with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s Monty... it is the big brother of your f/2.5 lens. In the hand it feels more like the 85 f/1.4 that you love so much. If you're ever in the San Francisco Bay Area I'll let you shoot with it, as well as the 135 f/2 AI-s. I love the slower lenses at those focal lengths, especially the 105s but there is something quite wonderful about having a bigger lens on the front of your camera.

You're right. I have the tiny f/2.5
I love the big lenses.

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.2210 #11 · p.2210 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
They don't make them like they use to. This is a Stereo Knob that broke off a tape deck I donated to a charity electronics collection; and then found in the floor of my car a week later. Each knob was milled from solid aluminum alloy.

Whole knob - 20mm Nikkor ais
http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/76816StereoKnob_Web-1.jpg

I like this one Jim, how did you get the light underneath?

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2210 #12 · p.2210 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
The tilted horizon adds a lot...I really like this one!

+1 I love it!

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2210 #13 · p.2210 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Walk around in the streets of Nancy with the 50 1.8 :

Love this Philippe, you have a way with using parts of buildings in your work that I like very much.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2210 #14 · p.2210 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Here is a photo
...Show more

Thanks Curtis. To say we're relieved is an understatement!

This is a wonderful portrait of Sue. I like the other one on this page as well.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2210 #15 · p.2210 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A study of benchs and early morning light. Taken with the 50mm f1.2 so Monty can think about which version he's going to get.

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/2.8    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    50mm    f/1.2    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2210 #16 · p.2210 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Beautiful shots Leighton. Monty I would choose the 50mm 1.2 ais if for no other reasons the 9 blades.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2210 #17 · p.2210 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Beautiful shots Leighton. Monty I would choose the 50mm 1.2 ais if for no other reasons the 9 blades.

Thanks Ray, and I agree with your idea about the 9 blades.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2210 #18 · p.2210 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You guys are a bit behind the action since Monty bought Matt's 55 f/1.2 AI that he bought from me. I love the 50 f/1.2 AI-s and will certain never sell my copy of that lens, but I remain a bit enthralled by the 55 f/1.2 S-C AI'd. I'm partial to its rather sumo wrestler shape and to the scalloped focusing right. That said, I enjoyed the later 55 as well. I expect Monty will have a great time with it.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2210 #19 · p.2210 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The last shot is right up my alley Leighton... bokeh play at its best. I guess the fact you shoot for the farmers market keeps you engaged with your photography... that and your recent purchase of the D600. I've really been enjoying the work you've been posting.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2210 #20 · p.2210 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So here is MY favorite from the photo shoot on Saturday. Again, focusing in manual mode got me in trouble when we were moving in and out of shadows outside. Again the image was over-exposed. But I like how it came out. This was a spontaneous shot with wind blowing my friend's hair. I shot as she lifted her hand to smooth it out. Shot with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s which was the only lens I used.

I've known Marilynne for 23 years. She is a dear friend.

Edited on Nov 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password