Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1413      
       1415              4066       4067       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1414 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Very nice Phillippe. Tuileries?

Right next : Palais Royal's garden

Thanks Peter!

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.1414 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

28 2.8 ais (as always... ) from Palais Royal (as always....):

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:29 PM
JoshuaD.FOTO
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1414 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome Joshua. You've definitely come to the right place for advice about lenses, though one thing you may might want to do is thumb through the last hundred pages and see how folks are using different lenses. That said, the two lenses you mention are outstanding lenses. I count both of them among my "desert island" lenses. They certainly aren't the most expensive MF lenses but they definitely cost more than the vast majority of what is available at the moment. You'll likely pay north of six hundred dollars for either and it could be a bit more depending on
...Show more

Oh ive been looking and the price was to be expected. I prefer the nostalgia and really the IQ qualities of the old variants over the "cream machine" 85mm and 135DC and the older ones again are a fraction of the price of those.

This is my second go-round with Nikon after a brief switch to the "darkside" when I sold my D700 last year and bought a 5D classic and some "L"s. The deal breaker from Canon that brought me back to Nikon was that I went and purchased a brand new 5D MKII a few weeks ago to replace my gently work canon 5Dc. The NEW 5D MKII out of the box was underexposing by two full stops vs the 5Dc all things being equal. It was unreal so the QC issues they are experiencing lately has me right back in another D700 and im staying put for good this time

I really dread reading through KenRockwell sometimes as I really feel he is off base with some of what he says but he has been a working professional for longer than I have been alive, so who am I really to cast judgement, I hope that doesn't offend anyone here.

I certainly appreciate the warm welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bijan2008 wrote:
Nikon D7000
Nikon 135mm 2.0 AI
f/2.8, 1/1600
Aperture Priority
ISO 100

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5457/7406857568_07caffb97b_b.jpg

I do not mean this to be the least bit cross, but is bokeh fringing typically that noticeable from this lens?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

philipj wrote:
As I read the thread in chronological order and answer as I go, likely you've had a few good responses to this already, but I'll chime in.

If you are going for mostly portraiture, you should get the 105mm f/2.5 AI-s IMO. It is a wonderful performer for a very modest price (you can get excellent copies for $250 without too much trouble!), and is really an excellent gateway drug into the rest of the manual focus lenses.

As for the 20-30mm range, the 28mm f/2, and f/2.8 are well respected lenses, the 24mm variants a little less so.

I looked at that lens and pretty much decided to grab a nice one I found yesterday but the more I thought about it I really feel 50, 85, 135 to be a better combo for me for portrait work and 85 and 105 are just toooo close bc then I would have nothing in the 50-105 range. and the 135 is pretty close to the 105 on the other end too.

Lets suppose I was going to go with a 105 Is the premium of the 105mm 1.8 really worth it over the 2.5? Samples I see seem tack sharp from both and I do occasionally dabble in low light but I cant ever see I situation where the 1.8 AI would benefit me over the 2.5ai (with the D700's low light abilities) unless ofcourse it is that much more of a brilliant lens.

Thanks again to you all! I certainly appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to a long stay here and bringing something different to this thread too. Portraiture is where im headed, but I also do a good bit of paid automotive work, feel free to check our my FlickR guys while my website is going under the knife.

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:32 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.1414 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:

All are very nice but prefer the first one.

Ray

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:03 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.1414 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

JoshuaD.FOTO wrote:
Looking at your photos I would say that the 105 2.5 might be a good place to start. It is a very sharp lens and can be had at a very reasonable price. It would certainly help you get your feet wet in shooting portraits. Just enough distance from the subject to be comfortable on a D700
Maybe a 135 2.8 AI would be called for to put a little more distance and perhaps a better bokeh.

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:36 PM
JoshuaD.FOTO
• •
p.1414 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Maybe ill go that route. What about the 105 2.5 AIS vs. the 105 1.8 AIS in regards to my two statements about the lenses above?

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:54 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.1414 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am not sure for portraits that the 1.8 is worth the extra $ but I have never used one. I do know that sometimes a narrower DOF can leave one eye in focus and the other OOF I personally have found this in my Rok 85 1.4
Then again if you fancy the 105mm 1.8 you can shoot at 2.8 if you choose

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:09 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1414 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I have both 105 lenses Joshua and am a big fan of the f/1.8. But when I was putting together a kit for a recent trip it was the f/2.5 lens I took with me. It is a great lens at half to a third the cost of the faster lens. I was certainly happy with its performance while traveling. For portraiture, you're likely going to be stopped down with either lens simply because the focal plane is so narrow, so the extra speed of the f/1.8 will be wasted. It is also good to remember my old adage that "kit building is forever." These lenses hold their value so as long as you make a good decision at the time you add a lens to your kit, you'll generally be able to get that investment back if/when you're ready to make a change. Buying the 105 f/2.5 AI-s today and then shooting with it is the best way to discover the lenses strengths and whether the focal length suits you. My kit got as big as it is because I kept buying lenses to experiment then found I loved them all... But compared to the cost of L lenses, these are a veritable steal. You have the D700 which is a great beginning to MF kit building. Buy a lens or two and play. And read through this thread. You'll find plenty of talented photographers showing off what these lenses are capable of doing. That will give you useful information as well. Welcome and have fun.

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:23 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1414 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

As a new Nikon user i have been following the last 5 or 6 pages of this forum and just purchased a 100mm AI-s f2.8 for my D800E which I'm impressed with. Now I need a long lens, but I don't find much in the 300mm and over range in the old manual lenses. What does Nikon use for long lenses?
I'm covered on the short side with a 24mm F1.4G but after using the 100 AI-s in pano I'll probably use it the majority of the time.

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1414 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So a bit of play with the D800 this morning. I revisited the rose bush and took another photo of the hidden red rose, this time with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s, wide open. Here is a crop through the center of the frame.

I am getting a taste of what folks talk about when they say the files contain a great deal of information. I'm finding what appear to be over exposed areas contain salvageable material. Much to learn and I have a few more days to play before I need to pass the camera along to its owner.

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oosty
• • • •
p.1414 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
Went down by the river last night with the 24mm f2 on the D800, and the 17mm Tokina. Here is the 24 - it looks to be a good landscape lens.

Deloghtful images.

Peter

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1414 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Ray, great work with the 16mm! Symmetrical subjects with a close foreground are made for a fisheye.

Here are some more shots with the 24/2 Ai:

This was shot at f/2 too - very wild bokeh, triangular highlights in the corners and a semicircular flare-ring (this reminds me of the AF-S 14-24/2.8)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8025/7466264292_d5cb509559_c.jpg
a conventional shot with the Ai 24/2

out-of-focus highlights maybe a bit busy, not completely out of control with an old 28/2

Marguerites (?) with a borrowed AiS 105/1.8 wide open and a Nikon Close-up-lens No.6T

Georg - nothing conventional about this image - excellent processing, love it

Peter

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:32 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1414 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul Gardner wrote:
As a new Nikon user i have been following the last 5 or 6 pages of this forum and just purchased a 100mm AI-s f2.8 for my D800E which I'm impressed with. Now I need a long lens, but I don't find much in the 300mm and over range in the old manual lenses. What does Nikon use for long lenses?
I'm covered on the short side with a 24mm F1.4G but after using the 100 AI-s in pano I'll probably use it the majority of the time.

The two longer lenses that have found a following among folks on this thread are the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF and the 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF. There are AI versions of both lenses with ED glass that are well regarded but they tend to be scarce, whereas the later versions are more available. Either lens can be hand held, though the 400 is at a length that benefits from support of some kind. You'd need to go back to find images with these lenses but they're definitely present. They also work well with teleconverters. I used the TC-14A with the 300 and the TC-14B with the 400.

Here are the two lenses... photos courtesy of photosynthesis.co.nz.

There are quite a few different versions of lenses with these focal lengths so a buyer needs to be careful to make certain the lenses they're looking at have ED glass. For that you would do well to familiarize yourself with both the serial number and specification databases at photosynthesis...

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/index.html

There are faster versions at both focal lengths but they tend to be much heavier and much more expensive.

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1414 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:

Phillippe, #2 is the best shot in this group. I looked hard at #1 and was mentally cropping it then dropped down to #2 which is just about as I saw it. Well done. It's a tribute to your skill that you are able to do so much in, what is after all, a boring city

Peter
(After too much S Blanc)

Edited on Jun 29, 2012 at 08:40 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:39 PM
raboof
• • •
p.1414 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul Gardner wrote:

+1 on the 100mm f2.8 Series E. Fits nicely inside your pocket too

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.1414 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Phillippe, #2 is the best shot in this group. I looked hard at #1 and was mentally cropping it then dropped down to #2 which is just about as I saw it. Well done. It's a tribute to your skill that you are able to do so much in, what is after all, a boring city

Peter
(After too much S Blanc)

ThanksPeter, I agree with you about #2.

"S Blanc" is Sancerre Blanc, isn't it?

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.1414 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
All are very nice but prefer the first one.

Ray

Thanks Ray!

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1414 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another shot taken with the D800 with the 28 f/2 AI-s mounted. Shot at f/8. In the distance you see San Francisco beneath the days fog. This is what we called "nature's air conditioning..."

And here is a shot from another vantage point, looking past Sausalito harbor taken with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s also at f/8

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1414 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Took Nikki out to show her a bit of Amsterdam.
We ended up in one of the oldest pubs in Amsterdam for a beer.
It's not taken with a Nikon camera, I hope you can forgive me.

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:25 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1414 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'd hoist one with you Chris... Looking good.

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password