Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6282      
6283
       end
  

Manual Focus Nikon Glass
  
 
asiostygius
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6283 #1 · p.6283 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Thanks Samy and Ray for the tips on fixing the D810.
Unfortunately, after cleaning the contacts, resetting the camera and even removing the battery for some minutes, the D810 continues to refuse to work with both AF-D and MF lenses! However, AF-S lenses work perfectly ?!

A capture when the camera was still working properly:

The Burrowing Owl at its burrow

The Burrowing Owl at its burrow by Jose, on Flickr

D810 + mod TC-16A + Nikkor 50-300mm f/4.5 AI-S (=80-480/7.2) @ 200 (320mm) + BushHawk stock mount; ISO 800, f/9 (5.6x1.6) at 1/2000s; 40% cropped (14.5/36Mp). I was inside my SUV - mobile blind.



Nov 15, 2017 at 08:26 PM
DeltaSigma
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6283 #2 · p.6283 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Samy and Ray for the tips on fixing the D810.
Unfortunately, after cleaning the contacts, resetting the camera and even removing the battery for some minutes, the D810 continues to refuse to work with both AF-D and MF lenses! However, AF-S lenses work perfectly ?!

A capture when the camera was still working properly:

The Burrowing Owl at its burrow

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4584/24555447608_c2d7e3476c_b.jpgThe Burrowing Owl at its burrow by Jose, on Flickr

D810 + mod TC-16A + Nikkor 50-300mm f/4.5 AI-S (=80-480/7.2) @ 200 (320mm) + BushHawk stock mount; ISO 800, f/9 (5.6x1.6) at 1/2000s; 40% cropped (14.5/36Mp). I was inside my SUV - mobile blind.


Jose,

Is the camera's firmware up to date?
Even if the version shown is the latest one it might still be prudent to go through a re-install.

Colin



Nov 15, 2017 at 10:25 PM
pbraymond
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #3 · p.6283 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


DeltaSigma wrote:
Ray,
Any chance you could share those on the "MF Nikon Glass shooting AF lenses" forum?
I just linked to it in my post of the Ford consul above
Colin



As requested, see here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1218828/141#14254932



Nov 15, 2017 at 11:58 PM
asiostygius
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6283 #4 · p.6283 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Colin, thanks for the help. I tried a reinstall of the last firmware, and even the last distortion control update; reset again the camera; leave the camera without a batery for some 3 min; unfortunately the issue continues: only AF-S lenses work

Stop complaining and celebrate I brought both the D7200 and the V1 cameras to the trip as backups.
Some of the first of a long series of birds x fruits:


Female Blue Dacnis:

Blue Dacnis, female, feeding on Miconia sellowiana fruits by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF + tripod;
ISO 800, f/8 at 1/1600s. 34% crop (8.5/24Mp).



Male:

Blue Dacnis, male, feeding on Miconia sellowiana fruits by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF + tripod;
ISO 1000, f/5.6 at 1/1600s. 33% crop (8/24Mp).

Edited on Nov 16, 2017 at 02:33 AM · View previous versions



Nov 16, 2017 at 01:10 AM
pbraymond
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #5 · p.6283 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Samy and Ray for the tips on fixing the D810.
Unfortunately, after cleaning the contacts, resetting the camera and even removing the battery for some minutes, the D810 continues to refuse to work with both AF-D and MF lenses! However, AF-S lenses work perfectly ?!


Jose, if it's only happening with AFD lenses, then my other suggestion is that the AI ring is not properly registering that the lens has been set to the minimum aperture, ie the D chip says minimum aperture is f22 but the AI ring is reporting say f18 and not f22. Not sure how to determine that, maybe mount an AFD lens and wiggle it a little past the mounted position. Don't know what to say about the MF lenses though..... that is weird. Perhaps the setting that says that you want to allow the aperture ring to control aperture needs to be changed?(it's custom function f9 on my D800).



Nov 16, 2017 at 02:23 AM
pbraymond
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #6 · p.6283 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Ohiopyle! You get around Scott! Super framing!

Colin, love the concept you had in your head for the white cliffs. I'm sure it would have looked great. I enjoy the process of pre-visualing and then hunting for the shot.

Jose, the MF birding master returns!

Edited on Nov 16, 2017 at 12:42 PM · View previous versions



Nov 16, 2017 at 02:26 AM
NightOwl Cat
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #7 · p.6283 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


For the AF-D lenses, there's a screw that comes through the mount and goes into the lens to drive the focus. See if that's getting stuck. As you are looking at the camera, the lower left, you'll see the screw sitting there, press on it to see if it goes in easily.

asiostygius wrote:
Colin, thanks for the help. I tried a reinstall of the last firmware, and even the last distortion control update; reset again the camera; leave the camera without a batery for some 3 min; unfortunately the issue continues: only AF-S lenses work

Stop complaining and celebrate I brought both the D7200 and the V1 cameras to the trip as backups.
Some of the first of a long series of birds x fruits:

Female Blue Dacnis:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4525/38414889032_ed3725b93c_b.jpgBlue Dacnis, female, feeding on Miconia sellowiana fruits by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF + tripod;
ISO 800, f/8 at 1/1600s. 34% crop (8.5/24Mp).

Male:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4544/38390418576_843b622f30_b.jpgBlue Dacnis, by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF + tripod;
ISO 1000, f/5.6 at 1/1600s. 33% crop (8/24Mp).
...Show more




Nov 16, 2017 at 03:54 AM
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #8 · p.6283 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


pbraymond wrote:
Jose, if it's only happening with AFD lenses, then my other suggestion is that the AI ring is not properly registering that the lens has been set to the minimum aperture, ie the D chip says minimum aperture is f22 but the AI ring is reporting say f18 and not f22. Not sure how to determine that, maybe mount an AFD lens and wiggle it a little past the mounted position. Don't know what to say about the MF lenses though..... that is weird. Perhaps the setting that says that you want to allow the aperture ring to control aperture
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

NightOwl Cat wrote:
For the AF-D lenses, there's a screw that comes through the mount and goes into the lens to drive the focus. See if that's getting stuck. As you are looking at the camera, the lower left, you'll see the screw sitting there, press on it to see if it goes in easily.



Definitely check these... I have had both happen on both my D700 and D7000.



Nov 16, 2017 at 06:20 AM
Ken Hill
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #9 · p.6283 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Very good shots over the past several days. Thank you for the likes I received.

Ray, you're right, the lights and patterns on the bridge make for a great photo! Also the great expression on the 2nd bicyclist.

Lester very nice b&w images

Kristian, likewise with your b&w shot, very well done.

Colin your IR images are striking. The beach shacks put me in mind of a "Mr. Bean" episode I recall. Very nice indeed.

Jay, using the D800? Nice contrast.

Samy you bring Einstein to life.

Scott love the station.

Peter very nice fisheye capture. Where were you?

Jose great burrowing Owl. Sorry about the D810 and can offer nothing more to fix it than what was already proposed except for checking to see if the contacts coming in contact with the lens may have gotten dirty or collected debris!

Here's the last of the car show. Some horsepower!



Ken Hill 2017

  NIKON Df    70mm    f/16.0    1/80s    1400 ISO    0.0 EV  





Ken Hill 2017

  NIKON Df    70mm    f/16.0    1/320s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  





Ken Hill 2017

  NIKON Df    70mm    f/16.0    1/160s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  





Ken Hill 2017

  NIKON D810    28mm    f/4.0    1/125s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  




Nov 16, 2017 at 01:57 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Zichar
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6283 #10 · p.6283 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Ugh guys I durn messed up. Checked infinity was okay with the 50 1.2 with that cheapo adaptor to Fuji and left it at that.

Packed the 50 1.8 instead for my trip to Taiwan and for some serendipitous encounter, I found myself on the back of a scooter, kid with the wife, my fatigue chased away by an uncharacteristic late-evening ice latte, a loaner tripod in my arms and headed up a windy road to the top of the ridge overlooking the city of Changhua.

The sun was a perfect circle, blazing orange-red as it started to descend into the foggy band of what's probably man-made smog and pollutants. The concrete guardrail where I stood, overlooking the valley was perfect - tops of trees just sloped down and away - no pesky stray branches nor leaves. I can see why this was the unofficial local lovers' lookout, I was falling in love with the scene myself. I chuckled an early congratulatory note to myself for having this amazing opportunity somehow falling into place.

Oh hubris. I changed out into the fifty and it just. wouldn't. focus. to. infinity. I turned it all the way to the end and it was, I could almost visualise it, just another quarter inch turn away. But it could go no more, and the vision in front of my eyes, a fuzzy image of a hurriedly greying city seemed an allegory to the growing disappointment in my insides.

Haven't pulled out the 50 since. The 27mm Fuji is so far great for market scenes but the heartache is still too much to bear. I have another week to go here, we'll see how it goes...



Nov 16, 2017 at 03:49 PM
DeltaSigma
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6283 #11 · p.6283 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Zichar wrote:
Ugh guys I durn messed up. Checked infinity was okay with the 50 1.2 with that cheapo adaptor to Fuji and left it at that.

Packed the 50 1.8 instead for my trip to Taiwan and for some serendipitous encounter, I found myself on the back of a scooter, kid with the wife, my fatigue chased away by an uncharacteristic late-evening ice latte, a loaner tripod in my arms and headed up a windy road to the top of the ridge overlooking the city of Changhua.

The sun was a perfect circle, blazing orange-red as it started to descend into the
...Show more



For a moment I thought, whilst reading your story, that you were going to say your family and camera equipment met tarmac.

Sorry to hear about your equipment malfunction. Live and learn I suppose.

Colin



Nov 16, 2017 at 06:39 PM
AM4L
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #12 · p.6283 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


One from today, Fuji XPro 2 and the Nikkor 105 F/2,5 AIs.

MarkA








Nov 17, 2017 at 02:27 AM
Gonga
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6283 #13 · p.6283 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Wow, really great photography people! Regarding the 50 1.8, you could fairly easily (?!) reset the focus of that lens to infinity for that adapter if you like.

Still recovering from a trip to Austin Falls yesterday.

85mm f2 AiS (love this lens - very sharp!)
Winter Begins to Grip Lower Austin Falls, Dusk by Dan Ling, on Flickr

85mm f2 AiS
Lower Austin Falls, November Dusk by Dan Ling, on Flickr

135mm 2.8 AiS
Winterberry below The Rifts by Dan Ling, on Flickr

Edited on Nov 17, 2017 at 08:35 PM · View previous versions



Nov 17, 2017 at 03:10 AM
asiostygius
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6283 #14 · p.6283 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


WOW Dan, superb captures with the often overlooked 85/2 ais!
I agree with you, it is a very sharp lens (at least my copy).

One more from the last trip:
The Variegated Flycatcher, a summer migrant these days over here.

Variegated Flycatcher (Empidonomus varius) by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF + tripod; ISO 160, f/8 at 1/400s. 33% crop (8/24Mp).
Have I already told you guys that the old and "outdated rubbish" 800/5.6 ai-s ED-IF is my favourite lens?



Nov 17, 2017 at 03:23 PM
Gonga
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6283 #15 · p.6283 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


If I had taken a photo like that Jose, it would be my favorite also! You really have mastered the use of manual lenses for birds. Superb work.

Here's another really crisp image from the 85mm f2 AiS. These bluish images were made after sunset.
Joints in Riverine Bedrock by Dan Ling, on Flickr



Nov 17, 2017 at 08:22 PM
AM4L
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #16 · p.6283 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


These are a few film shots with an old Nikon S3 Rangefinder camera and a Nippon Kogaku W-NIKKOR C 3.5cm F2.5 lens on Ilford Delta 400 B&W film

Thanks!
MarkA












Nov 17, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Reagan
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6283 #17 · p.6283 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Back from heaven
so here are obligatory leaving Port of Miami photos

Reagan

Mark,
Just noticed you put your 810 up for sale the day I left





  NIKON D800E    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    28mm    f/2.8    1/400s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  









Nov 17, 2017 at 11:11 PM
1       2       3              6282      
6283
       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6282      
6283
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password