FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6061      
       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6062 #1 · p.6062 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Day 3 of rain and I am itching to get back out shooting in the longer daylight.

So as I was going through some of my lesser used lenses I grabbed this shot and thought we can do a round of "Guess the lenses". See, told you I was bored.

So, if you want to play, make your guesses for the two lenses in the picture below.

What do you win? 1/2 lb of my home roasted coffee. May be a challenge to send overseas, so if you are participating across the pond, you get my virtual handshake.

You have to guess both.

Shot with Df and 55/3.5 Micro

Update: Buddy guessed them right away!!!

George

Edited on May 25, 2017 at 09:55 AM · View previous versions

May 24, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Ballard
• •
p.6062 #2 · p.6062 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

These shots are from Picture Rock Pass in central Oregon, named for the boulder with petroglyphs right beside the old wagon road over the pass. There are numerous petroglyphs and other Clovis period aritfacts in this area. In many places the ground is littered with obsidian chips from arrowhead knapping, but they might be from more recent Paiute inhabitants. None of the sites are marked so as to discourage vandalism. Just wandering around in the area turns up many interesting finds.

Wikipedia states: “No one knows when the Picture Rock Pass petroglyphs were created or who carved them. However, they were probably created during either Clovis Period (10,000 and 12,000 years ago) or the Stemmed Point Period that followed (7,500 to 10,000 years ago), placing the likely period of the rock carvings sometime between 7,500 and 12,000 years ago.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Rock_Pass_Petroglyphs_Site

The last shot is the old wagon road that crosses the modern highway at the summit of the pass.

All with 25-50/4 AI-s on Df.

Edited on May 25, 2017 at 01:03 AM · View previous versions

May 24, 2017 at 11:58 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.6062 #3 · p.6062 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:
^^^^^^^^^
Talking about banter, could you imagine this gang if were all around a table with beverage of choice.

That needs to happen someday somehow

May 25, 2017 at 12:29 AM
Ballard
• •
p.6062 #4 · p.6062 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another petroglyph near Lake Abert at the base of Abert Rim, one of the tallest fault scarps in the USA [2490 ft]. Lake Abert has no outlet, so it’s highly saline. It supports brine shrimp and the birds that feed on them. The fault blocks in this area are rotating so that the western edges are lifted while the eastern edges are down-dropped. Crustal thinning causes numerous hot springs in this area. During the winter months a bit south of here it’s common to see cows grazing beside Goose Lake with steam rising from geothermal vents in the same fields. Steam veils the setting sun over Lake Abert in the last shot.

This part of the state fascinates me, probably because it is so different topographically, geologically, and meteorologically from the part where I live.

All shot with 25-50/4 AI-s on Df.

May 25, 2017 at 01:09 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6062 #5 · p.6062 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
That appears to be a rather small exposure for astro shots - did you do that just to get those star bursts? I bet the lens isn't any shaper at f/11 than at f/5.6 or even f/4.0

Bearing in mind that the 2X TC makes it f5.6 wide open so f11 is only stopped down by 2 stops but also for star bursts and also they reckon you don't want your ISO too low ! but learning curve and all that so perhaps I need to not stop it down so much, keep ISO up and expose more to the right to capture nebula data.

Andy

May 25, 2017 at 02:06 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.6062 #6 · p.6062 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
Bearing in mind that the 2X TC makes it f5.6 wide open so f11 is only stopped down by 2 stops but also for star bursts and also they reckon you don't want your ISO too low ! but learning curve and all that so perhaps I need to not stop it down so much, keep ISO up and expose more to the right to capture nebula data.

Andy

I guess I am lucky I never bought that tracker and I don't have time to build one (there are some door-hinge designs even I could assemble). Three definitely is a steep learning curve. My lack of knowledge about the night sky and what is what won't help either

Maybe one day when I live in a location with less light pollution and dry air I will get more serious about the astro stuff. And I have that little app on my phone that at least lets me find the north star for polar alignment.

May 25, 2017 at 02:18 AM
GroWeb
• •
p.6062 #7 · p.6062 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for your likes in response to my recent posts. Here are 3 photos taken inside the physician's house at Fort William. I used the 16 f/3.5 ai on the Fuji X-E2 and found the fisheye extremely useful and effective for capturing building interiors at the historic site.

May 25, 2017 at 03:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • • •
p.6062 #8 · p.6062 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

more 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS fun, all D810 last weekend at Road America

f/2.8 1/400s ISO 100

Checking his blind spot

f/2.8 1/640s ISO 64

Throttlestop

f/2.8 1/250s ISO 64

Mirror mirror on the car

f/4.0 1/640s ISO 100

Pretty face amongst the American brutes

f/2.8 1/640s ISO 64

Is that jack stand safe?

May 25, 2017 at 03:54 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6062 #9 · p.6062 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:

So as I was going through some of my lesser used lenses I grabbed this shot and thought we can do a round of "Guess the lenses". See, told you I was bored.

So, if you want to play, make your guesses for the two lenses in the picture below.

What do you win? 1/2 lb of my home roasted coffee. May be a challenge to send overseas, so if you are participating across the pond, you get my virtual handshake.

You have
...Show more

On the left, 50-135 f3,5 Ai-S
On the right, 35-70 f3,5 Ai or 25-50 f4 Ai (both look nearly identical from that angle)

May 25, 2017 at 06:03 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.6062 #10 · p.6062 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I would like to thank the folks on the thread that offered to help get me another MF lens, you know who you are.

Jack (Montana Kid) made me a deal I couldn't refuse on a 55mm f2.8 AIS and I should have it soon.

Thanks Jack! What a family we have here.

May 25, 2017 at 09:46 AM
gbohannon
• • •
p.6062 #11 · p.6062 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
On the left, 50-135 f3,5 Ai-S
On the right, 35-70 f3,5 Ai or 25-50 f4 Ai (both look nearly identical from that angle)

We have a winner! 50-135 & 35-70
Now let me see how difficult it is to send coffee to Germany

Edited on May 25, 2017 at 09:54 AM · View previous versions

May 25, 2017 at 09:52 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.6062 #12 · p.6062 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:

You have
...Show more

The one on the left is easy, the 50-135mm f3.5. The one on the right is throwing me because of the color of the aperture scale. Do I get a 1/4 pound of your fine coffee for being half right?

I'm sure the ones on here with large collections will get it.

May 25, 2017 at 09:52 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.6062 #13 · p.6062 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, I just posted my last post a second ago only to realize that Buddy had already guessed it. Congrats Buddy. The only bad thing for you, is the fact that you won't be able to have any of the fine coffee that George produces.

EDIT: It happened again! I post my message only to find that I'm a day late and a dollar short. Looks like our friend George is looking into sending some coffee to Germany after all.

If he's successful Buddy, you're in for a treat.

May 25, 2017 at 09:56 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.6062 #14 · p.6062 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:

Same here, nearly 3 inches and counting. This is why I've been blabbing so much on here.

May 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password