Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              84      
       86       87       end

Archive 2010 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

you2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.85 #1 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

I don't really think that was his point; I'm not saying I agree or disagree; but I think his point was tonal range. Maybe it is 12bit vs 14bit or the quality of the sensor or maybe he is not correct; but I think he was claiming that the nex show more subtle range. For example given a picture the rose more texture might show due to greater emphasis of subtle shift in the red. Anyways that's how I took his statement. I personally haven't used a nex (and while I have the om-d I haven't taken enough pictures) to really comment though I think (from images I've seen) there might be some truth to his view. That's not to say that the images here are flat but sometimes I think there is a bit more luster to some of the better nex images (but to be honest a lot has to do with post procesing and the monitor itself plays a role; and while I'm comment on images posted to the web I really shouldn't as that is a horrible method esp given the general flatness of lcd monitors).

bobbytan wrote:
Beautiful color indeed ... and Makten is of the opinion that OM-D colors are dead/flat or lacks depth.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Chemamar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.85 #2 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Yes, I see what you mean. The truth is that it is wrong to generalize, often highly dependent on the lenses, processing and other factors ...
Anyway, I had a Sony Nex and several Nikon (D700, D90, D7000, D3s, D800) and overall was roughly over my taste the colors of the OM-D. Perhaps the white balance...
As I say, it's wrong to generalize, but at the level of colors seen amazing photos in the thread of the OM-D. That considering the size limits, screen, color profile, etc.

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:19 PM
you2
• • •
p.85 #3 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Yea I will say the lens does seem to make a difference here. WB has more to do with making the image (colour) pleasing then impacting tonal range. It seems to me that a lot of the cheaper lenses are a bit flat (they have good resolution and contrast in some cases) but just some how flatter. Maybe they flare too easily? I definitely see this with some of the sony lenses on the nex; the CV and zeiss lenses seem to do a lot better with regards to image sparkle. On the OM the 75 and 60 seem to be near the top (from the images I've seen posted).

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:51 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.85 #4 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Well, he may or may not have a point valid for others, but he does compare to his own shots, using his own processing, and he is quite competent, so there isn't any doubt really that for his own photos, and his own processing style, he was missing something. I am quite happy with my E-PL3 (but also have a D800), and am certainly not about to get rid of it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:22 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.85 #5 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

An early effort with m43. E-PL5 and kit lens.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:41 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.85 #6 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.85 #7 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Zeiss ZF.2 50/2 MP w/ Voigltander m4/3 adapter on my OM-D both at f/2; hand held, ambient light taken from about 10' away from each object. I should've started playing around with my Zeiss lenses on this body earlier on.

anthonysemone 2012

E-M5     0mm    f/0.0    1/125s    500 ISO    -1.0 EV  

anthonysemone 2012

E-M5     0mm    f/0.0    1/100s    640 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:25 PM
maljo
• •
p.85 #8 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:47 PM
srhphoto

p.85 #9 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

A recent photo taken with my GH2 and Tokina AT-X 300mm f2.8 SD lens (Canon FD mount).

Cheers,

Simon.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.85 #10 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Took the GX1 out for a little spin today.

First is with the Oly 15mm f/8 body cap lens:

These two are with the Panny 35-100/2.8. The first is entitled "Hidden Moon".

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.85 #11 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

From the E-Pm2 last weekend:

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:50 AM
owyhee
• •
p.85 #12 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Jordan, great images as always!

Vern, love the tone in your image. Could be a Ski Canada advertisement. Looks like a nice slope.

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.85 #13 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

owyhee

Vern, love the tone in your image. Could be a Ski Canada advertisement. Looks like a nice slope.

Thx! That's a 4000 foot avalanche slope in Yoho National Park that we used to ski up Emerald Peak. Obviously conditions were stable!

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.85 #14 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

That moon behind clouds is pretty awesome..

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:12 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.85 #15 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

GH3 and 35-100 panny

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 02:55 PM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.85 #16 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

you2 wrote:
I don't really think that was his point; I'm not saying I agree or disagree; but I think his point was tonal range. Maybe it is 12bit vs 14bit or the quality of the sensor or maybe he is not correct; but I think he was claiming that the nex show more subtle range. For example given a picture the rose more texture might show due to greater emphasis of subtle shift in the red. Anyways that's how I took his statement. I personally haven't used a nex (and while I have the om-d I haven't taken enough pictures) to
...Show more

Well difference between NEX-5N and E-PL5 is very low (at least based on scientific tests) so if there is difference its in color profiling. Those sensors are near identical (well its same technology anyway) and Im not sure if Olympus has own CFA or not, but colors are quite close to Sony.

It could in theory show in some difficult colors (orange-yellow or violet-red), but most people wont be able to notice that.

Both are 12 bit devices so no difference there..

IMHO E-PL5 would have edge for me, cause it has IBIS. Truth is I didnt see too many E-PL5 pics yet. Thinking about "going back" to m4/3 after doing whole circle..

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM
dalegaspi
• •
p.85 #17 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Some shots with the EPL-1 + 35-100/2 SHG (yes, it's that f2.0 Olympus FT lens )

P2060462_v1 by Dexter Legaspi, on Flickr

P2060452_v1 by Dexter Legaspi, on Flickr

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:25 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.85 #18 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Has anyone compared the OM-D with the E-PL5 or E-PM2? I have read they use the same Sony sensor and wonderd if the E-PL5 and E-PM2 produced the same type colors and IQ of the OM-D. I am using a Nex 7 with which I am very happy, but have loved the colors from the OM-D when looking at this and the OM-D thread. thank you joanlvh

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.85 #19 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Image quality between the OM-D, E-PL5 and E-PM2 should be identical. Main difference is that the IBIS in the smaller bodies isn't as effective as the IBIS in the OM-D (which is phenomenal), and the ergonomics and lack of a viewfinder.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.85 #20 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Why not move up to RX-1 ?.

joanlvh wrote:
Has anyone compared the OM-D with the E-PL5 or E-PM2? I have read they use the same Sony sensor and wonderd if the E-PL5 and E-PM2 produced the same type colors and IQ of the OM-D. I am using a Nex 7 with which I am very happy, but have loved the colors from the OM-D when looking at this and the OM-D thread. thank you joanlvh

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:03 AM
       86       87       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

86       87       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password