Upload & Sell: Off
p.106 #6 · p.106 #6 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Lumix GX8, 35-100mm lens

Sep 04, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.106 #7 · p.106 #7 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

This is why I really wanted the E-M5, a sealed body and lens combo I could use for fun shots. It didn't disappoint. Though f/2.8 would have been nice after sundown I don't know if it's worth the cost and size.

Any better quality?

Edited on Sep 07, 2017 at 09:13 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.106 #8 · p.106 #8 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Those shots seem to have lost a lot in compression? High ISO? High JPG compression?

Lovely shots otherwise, just feels way bad quality wise for m43.

And the 12-40 2.8 is well worth it. Comparing it to the Nikon 24-70 (I had the first "new" one, released with the D3) it's the same high standard if not higher. Olympus knows how to make optics and how to build them like tanks.

Sep 04, 2017 at 06:56 PM
dukenukem
• • •
p.106 #9 · p.106 #9 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Entre Barrotes by Diego Garín Martín, en Flickr
Oly EM5 MKII, 12-40

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:57 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.106 #10 · p.106 #10 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

I did use a fairly high compression rendering JPEGs which may be part of it. Looked okay on my screen at the time but didn't do any comparisons. Also probably not great at processing the RAWs yet. Actually don't "feel" too different than Sony files, lots of head room in the highlights, but obviously not as clean shadow recovery. Thanks regardless for the thoughts.

Wilbus wrote:
Those shots seem to have lost a lot in compression? High ISO? High JPG compression?

Lovely shots otherwise, just feels way bad quality wise for m43.

And the 12-40 2.8 is well worth it. Comparing it to the Nikon 24-70 (I had the first "new" one, released with the D3) it's the same high standard if not higher. Olympus knows how to make optics and how to build them like tanks.

Sep 04, 2017 at 08:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

darrellc
• • •
p.106 #11 · p.106 #11 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

GH5 with Olympus 25/1.2

P1004754 by DarrellC, on Flickr

P1004776 by DarrellC, on Flickr

P1004780 by DarrellC, on Flickr

P1004907 by DarrellC, on Flickr

P1004932 by DarrellC, on Flickr

P1004957 by DarrellC, on Flickr

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:13 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.106 #12 · p.106 #12 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Sorry, didn't mean the Oly 1.2 lenses couldn't be fun. I meant that more as I take it places like the beach with my family, I don't necessarily want a large or overly expensive setup.

And actually, the Nikon 50/1.2 on an A7II and Techart Pro is a blast to shoot. Without the Techart it would be a nightmare at f/1.2. As Wilbus notes below, it's not a sharp lens at f/1.2 but if you take the overall image instead of pixels, it draws in an attractive way. The Techart puts the sliver of focus right where you want it, and A7II's IBIS works well, this combo can shoot handled well into the evening. Obviously it's a larger setup though.

I'm also not a shallow DoF junkie, which is actually another reason why I wouldn't spend on the f/1.2 lenses. f/1.4-f/1.7 on m4/3 is thin enough for me. Subject separation and focal distance are still playing a larger role than just a stop or two of aperture.

millsart wrote:
F1.2 glass isn't fun on m43

You can shoot at lower shutter speeds and/or lower ISO, and paired with the amazing IBIS, and AF ability it opens up quite a world of shooting.

Sure your Nikon 50/1.2 on the FF can get shallower DoF (if that is important to you) but how "fun" is it to shoot ?

I'd rather give up a little DoF (I'm honestly not a fan of ultra shallow DoF anyways, because to me it all too often looks like the subject is standing in front of a green screen) and have the ability to handhold my
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

Wilbus wrote:
Not saying you should go with F1.2 lenses on m43, I totally understand if you have another system as well BUT the Nikon Ai-S 50mm F1.2 can't be compared to any of the F1.2 m43 offerings. (I have the Nikon 50mm F1.2 Ai-s).

The Nikon is Good at F2 and great beyond that. At F1.2 it's dreamy and characteristic, which is really just a friendly way of saying it's down right optically poor

Now I use it at F1.2 and it can give good results, even in sharpness OK but it really lacks everything in terms of quality at F1.2. Usually
...Show more

No, no, I agree with you. The old Ai-S 1.2 doesn't compare to any modern offerings. Part of why I like that lens is it's dreamy at f/1.2 and f/1.4 then switches over to very sharp at f/2. I have no doubt that the f/1.2 Oly lenses are optically pretty good at f/1.2, but then they don't really have an advantage over the Nikkor at f/2... Not arguing against those lenses by any stretch, they just don't make sense for my kit.

Back to photos... If I may, where did the quality come up short on the photos from the other evening? I did compress at a quality of 4, which I've learned anything below 7 compresses tonality as well and things can look muddy, but its also likely my processing. Wondering if you have any detail so I can see where it's coming up short.

Thanks.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:05 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.106 #13 · p.106 #13 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

bobbytan wrote:
Whatever .... 2 stops more DOF than FF.

F1.2 is an F Stop marking for both 1/2 as well as 1/3 stops. So in fact a F 1.2 is either half a stop faster or 1/3 of a stop faster than a F 1.4 lens.

Using the conventional 2 stop deficit of m43 sized sensor compared to FF, then is either the dof equivalent of a f 2.5 or an f 2.4 on FF. So either a one and a third stop or a one and a half stop. I don't think Olympus has said, and if that's the case it's probably a safe bet that it's 1/3 better than a f 1.4. Just in the name precision.

But some of those photos still look great.

Edited on Sep 08, 2017 at 08:59 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.106 #14 · p.106 #14 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

pr4photos wrote:

http://www.pr4photos.co.uk/poppies.jpg

Lumix GX8, 12-35mm lens

That is so fantastic!

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.106 #15 · p.106 #15 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

I found these recently in a folder that I had processed to ask the folks at phase one why the output sharpening was so far off from what the screen displayed. It was somehow sharpening like crazy in the output, so I need to find the raw files again and re-do them, as I now kind of like the shots. But I know that they are "cruncy" almost to the point of bizarre. Still, I kind of like them now.

They would have been shot with either a Panasonic GF1 or a Panasonic DH2 which were the two I was using back then.

Sleeping

Angle on an Angel

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:12 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.106 #16 · p.106 #16 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Two others from the same trip to Richmond

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.106 #17 · p.106 #17 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Mathieu18 wrote:
Back to photos... If I may, where did the quality come up short on the photos from the other evening? I did compress at a quality of 4, which I've learned anything below 7 compresses tonality as well and things can look muddy, but its also likely my processing. Wondering if you have any detail so I can see where it's coming up short.

Thanks.

Yes the Nikon 50mm 1.2 does render a dreamy cool look at 1.2, makes it worth keeping

It's hard to say exactly why I think the photos looked compressed. The shots are very nice, nothing about that, just the quality that is far bellow what your camera should deliver and I am quite sure this is the compression.

Do you save in Photoshop? If so, I always save at 12, maximum quality and least compression and rather scale down the photo instead of pulling back on quality. You should easily be able to save a highest quality at 1200px (long side) and still be able to post to FM.

Where I do see the pixel/compression misstakes most is your daughter(I suspect daughter?). I can see the edges around her being pixelated, almost like an old 1990's PC game although far from as much. Also, I see it in her hair, it's very pixelated.

Like I said, I am almost sure this has got to to with the saving and compression. Nothing to do with your processing.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:39 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.106 #18 · p.106 #18 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

@pr4photos those are all excellent yet again, but what really stands out is the shot with the mushrooms, it's down right excellent. Great colors and composition, love that it feels as if though the we're actually looking up at the mushrooms.

@DarellC excellent photos, my favourites are number 1 and 2, looks lovely and good compositions. How are you finding the GH5 btw? Would be great to here your opinion about it since most of us still photographers use Olympus. Also, how do you find the Oly 25mm on it?

@Pavel, they look great with that gritty look. It suits the stone objects. High contrast, high sharpness looks very cool here. They don't seem over sharpened to me though.
Did you ever send them to C1?

As far as Capture One goes though, I've sometimes found that what looks great in the program, with sharpening and dynamic range etc doesn't always look the same once exported to JPG or even TIFF. It's almost as if the program shows some magic that it just can't simply reproduce after exporting. It's only happened a few times and I easily fixed it by pulling back on some sliders in local editing.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:48 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.106 #19 · p.106 #19 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

Wilbus wrote:
As far as Capture One goes though, I've sometimes found that what looks great in the program, with sharpening and dynamic range etc doesn't always look the same once exported to JPG or even TIFF. It's almost as if the program shows some magic that it just can't simply reproduce after exporting. It's only happened a few times and I easily fixed it by pulling back on some sliders in local editing.

Reminds me of Sony's IDC raw converter, where photos looked great at 25 % on screen. Sometimes I would take a screen grab, crop and use it online.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:03 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.106 #20 · p.106 #20 · Micro Four-Thirds Image Thread

mortyb wrote:
Reminds me of Sony's IDC raw converter, where photos looked great at 25 % on screen. Sometimes I would take a screen grab, crop and use it online.

That's one way to go!
C1 files I had problems with looked great at 100% in C1 as well but once converted and exported it fell apart. Like I said, probably over processing on my side but still weird.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:38 AM
1       2       3              105      
       107              114       115       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              105      
       107              114       115       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password