Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Spanner Lens Wrench

macko0708

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spanner Lens Wrench

I the course of the last week I got a Zuiko fever and bought 6 different lenses. I received the first one yesterday and another two today.

One of them is the 35mm f/2.8 and the lens is in a great shape but the front of the lens wobbles a little bit. I do not know whether it affects the image quality but eventually I would like to tighten the lens.

Do you guys have a spanner tool/wrech to tighten lenses? If so, where did you get yours, which one would you recommend,...

I have never done any lens repair work so any advice would be appreciated.

Aug 05, 2010 at 02:38 AM
helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spanner Lens Wrench

I have this one for minor jobs.

Aug 05, 2010 at 04:01 AM
macko0708

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spanner Lens Wrench

Thanks for the reply. What have you used it for?

Aug 05, 2010 at 05:35 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spanner Lens Wrench

I build my own spanner wrench out of an old caliper.
I used it for that Zenzazon 80 mm, the Minolta Rokkor 58 mm f/1,2 Conversion, some fungus cleaning like the enlager lens Rodenstock Apo Rodagon 50/2.8, or the fungus inside my Canon FD 300/2.8.

For more information about lens repairs I would reccomend to look on my
Photo DIY Directory

Aug 05, 2010 at 08:15 AM
Ronan O Keeffe
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spanner Lens Wrench

Cheers for the link and all the hard work and research ZoneV. There's some great reading on those pages.
R.

Aug 05, 2010 at 08:23 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spanner Lens Wrench

What's wobbling? If the entire front of the lens is wobbling, the spanner wrench probably wont do much good. The spanner wrench is to work with the rings that hold the elements and for the ring that holds large format lenses on the board. If the entire front of the lens is wobbling, theses rings likely aren't the problem.

If the elements are wobbling, you could tighten them up. You might get by with your fingernails, or, if careful, a screwdriver or something, to tighten this ring up so the elements won't wobble if it's really loose.

Aug 06, 2010 at 06:24 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spanner Lens Wrench

When you think about the exotic optics which is at stake you would carefully look for the proper tool, and this is what we use.

http://www.skgrimes.com/span/index.htm

Bo-Ming / conurus

Aug 08, 2010 at 05:01 AM
olyacme
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spanner Lens Wrench

FWIW, I couldn't find one I liked so I built this one from scratch:

It's made of 304/303 stainless with hardened/tempered O-1 inserts ground to various profiles. It can also be used as a precision spreader/compressor for snap rings.

/Acme

Aug 08, 2010 at 07:05 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spanner Lens Wrench

olyacme, that spanner wrench looks pretty good!

Aug 09, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spanner Lens Wrench

olyacme - nice work! well done. You must be a machinist/toolmaker.

microtools.com has some decent selections of spanners, I have one of theirs. the SKgrimes one is nice too.

I'd also recommend getting some of the rubber-stopper style cone ring type things, for removing stuff like the name/trim ring on the front of lenses. In some cases, that *is* what holds the front element in, which seems surprising but it is the case.

-Ed

Aug 09, 2010 at 04:45 PM
slrl0ver
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spanner Lens Wrench

Hey olyacme,

Have you thought about making more of your lens wrenches and selling them? Your work looks amazing! I'd like to buy a pair if you're going to sell any!

Does anyone sell a "jig" or have tips on how to remove the lens rings with the spanner and not slip/skip and nick any parts? I tried disassembly of "throw away" lens the other day (without the right tools) and it seems pretty hard to do it without missing even once. Ideally you'd have something that looks a bit like a regular adjustable spanner/wrench but has the two flat ends for the ring, and another "vice" like part that could grab the bottom/top of the lens and put clamping force that was even and controlled.

- slrl0ver

Aug 09, 2010 at 05:40 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spanner Lens Wrench

olyacme wrote:
FWIW, I couldn't find one I liked so I built this one from scratch:

http://www.oxide.org/share/17/spanner_s.jpg

It's made of 304/303 stainless with hardened/tempered O-1 inserts ground to various profiles. It can also be used as a precision spreader/compressor for snap rings.

/Acme

That is pretty nice. I love building specialty tools, but all the ones I have built so far have been for heli maintenance. Maybe I should try to make something like this too.

Aug 09, 2010 at 05:58 PM
olyacme
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spanner Lens Wrench

slrl0ver wrote:
Hey olyacme,

Have you thought about making more of your lens wrenches and selling them? Your work looks amazing! I'd like to buy a pair if you're going to sell any!

I've thought about it, but there's a big difference in process between making a single tool and even a limited production of, say, a dozen. It wouldn't quite rate in the same price bracket as the jewel studded damask steel knives some craftsmen make for mid-east Emirs, but it would be comparable to surgical equipment. I'm not confident there's enough market.

I can describe it more, though! If anyone is familiar with the woodworking "handscrew" type clamp they'll get the gist of this spanner. Each of the threaded bars has left hand thread on one end and right hand thread on the other, meeting in the middle. By turning both knobs in the same direction the arms move in parallel. This is easier to do than it sounds, as by holding the knobs securely the whole tool can be rotated end over end between the hands to quickly adjust the position. Unlike on a handscrew there is no pivot, so if the knobs move in opposite directions the arms will angle and the spanner will lock up. This is a feature, as it secures the tool's position.

slrl0ver wrote:
Does anyone sell a "jig" or have tips on how to remove the lens rings with the spanner and not slip/skip and nick any parts? I tried disassembly of "throw away" lens the other day (without the right tools) and it seems pretty hard to do it without missing even once. Ideally you'd have something that looks a bit like a regular adjustable spanner/wrench but has the two flat ends for the ring, and another "vice" like part that could grab the bottom/top of the lens and put clamping force that was even and controlled.

The main problem with the rings is their flexibility, so simple torque is not the sole issue - the ring may actually become slightly oval as pressure is applied, wedging itself solidly. The process is not helped by the materials involved. Aluminum metal has a high tendency to "gall" (essentially to cold-weld to itself), and anodized aluminum is quite rough at the microscopic level. Brass and plastic composites are much better in this regard.

A sharp and properly fitting bit held with equal pressure on both ends and exactly vertical to the lens are the basics.

Tapping the ring with a piece of dowel and a very light hammer may release stresses and allow the spanner to work, or may allow the ring to get started by moving small fractions of a degree.

Heat and cold can work, too, but great care must be taken not to expose the glass to these temperature swings. A piece of metal tube of the same diameter of the ring can be cooled with "cold spray" and then pressed to the ring to temporarily shrink it a little. These are approaches of last resort however.

/Acme

Aug 09, 2010 at 06:18 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spanner Lens Wrench

Nice design! I hadn't thought of the handscrew concept but it makes sense. I did see the threads were not quite normal on those shafts. Are they square-cut threads?

Elegant design and well thought out! Thanks for sharing.

-Ed

Aug 10, 2010 at 02:45 PM
olyacme
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spanner Lens Wrench

Ed Sawyer wrote:
Nice design! I hadn't thought of the handscrew concept but it makes sense. I did see the threads were not quite normal on those shafts. Are they square-cut threads?

They're SAE. Ironically, square acme threads are beyond my current capability!

/Acme

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:32 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spanner Lens Wrench

Very nice design Acme.

Nov 09, 2010 at 04:46 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Spanner Lens Wrench

I've adapted an old vernier calliper with two 1.5mm jewellers screwdriver bits. A lot less elegant than olyacme's or lightshow's, but it works well;

Edited on Sep 11, 2014 at 01:28 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Spanner Lens Wrench

This is the one I bought and use, it's not cheap, but neither are the lenses.
http://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=SPW801

Sep 11, 2014 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password