Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              73      
       75              101       102       end

ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.74 #1 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

sebboh wrote:
no worries, i tend to be rather allergic to hoods, and ultrawide hoods can only do so much.

haven't really gotten a chance to use it much yet other than on family and gourds, but it is surprisingly good close up.

Agreed. My favorite use for it so far was a series of environmental portraits I did for a commercial space (employees in their work environments) and it was fantastic in some very tight spaces.

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:04 AM
p666

Upload & Sell: Off
p.74 #2 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

I have purchased a couple of rokkors.. a 50mm 1.4 and the 28mm 2.8.

I am mounting it on a Canon 5D and a Canon 60D. Not having much luck though and the focal length is incredibly short, and can only focus on things about 50cm in front of the lens, with a very thin focal length even then. I have a fairly thin (5mm) "air" adapter, which I know will not focus to infinity, but as it is, these lens are practically unseable on my Canon bodies.

What are you Canon guys using to successfully use these lenses? or are Canon bodies simply just not a good match to these lenses due to the depth to the sensor?

I will try one of the adapters that allow focus to infinity, but by all reports these significantly degrade image quality due to the cheap glass in them. Does seem like my only real option at the moment..

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:04 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.74 #3 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

p666 wrote:

I am mounting it on a Canon 5D and a Canon 60D. Not having much luck though and the focal length is incredibly short, and can only focus on things about 50cm in front of the lens, with a very thin focal length even then. I have a fairly thin (5mm) "air" adapter, which I know will not focus to infinity, but as it is, these lens are practically unseable on my Canon bodies.

What are you Canon guys using to successfully use these lenses? or
...Show more

everybody shooting these lenses on canon is using lenses that have had mount conversion, meaning the minolta mount was removed and replaced with a custom made eos mount. they won't really work for anything other than macro if you're just adapting. unfortunately the two lenses you have are extremely difficult ones to due the mount conversion on. i believe jim buchanan from this forum has converted the 50/1.4 (at least one version of it) though.

anyway, here is a shot from the 58/1.2 on a NEX-7, unfortunately with some motion blur, but i still like it:

Oct 29, 2012 at 02:56 AM
p666

p.74 #4 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

That is excellent, like it a lot with the fog.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I did have a look and believe I may be able to pull it apart and replace it with a Canon mount with some work, but I guess that will destroy the lens as adaptable to other cameras.. I am actually thinking of purchasing a Sony Nex 5R in the next 12 months for the smaller and easier carry factor than the a full sized slr, so I guess I had better decide what I want to do.

Oct 29, 2012 at 03:36 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.74 #5 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

p666 wrote:
That is excellent, like it a lot with the fog.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I did have a look and believe I may be able to pull it apart and replace it with a Canon mount with some work, but I guess that will destroy the lens as adaptable to other cameras.. I am actually thinking of purchasing a Sony Nex 5R in the next 12 months for the smaller and easier carry factor than the a full sized slr, so I guess I had better decide what I want to do.

fyi - both those lenses have a bunch of the aperture control levers attached to the back of the mount. if you want to maintain aperture control you need to either destroy the old mount to make the new mount or replicate all those levers yourself. if you aren't fairly skilled with a mill and a lathe i would advise against trying to do the conversion yourself.

Oct 29, 2012 at 04:27 AM
nixland
• • •
p.74 #6 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

MD Rokkor 35/1.8 .... swirly

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM
joakim
• • •
p.74 #7 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Here are three with the Rokkor 58/1.2, the first one at ~5.6, the second at 2 or 2.8 and the last wide open. I have had this lens for some time now but haven't gotten around to use it much, hopefully this will improve.

Nov 02, 2012 at 04:10 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.74 #8 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

p666 wrote:

What are you Canon guys using to successfully use these lenses? or
...Show more

As has been said, conversion is about the only real method to mount them on EF bodies, the adapters with elements just don't do justice to these lenses. and they basically act like a tele converter from what I understand....

I did have a 58/1.2 converted to EF, and used it on my 1DIII very regularly, Then I bought a converted 28/2, and I was about to convert the rest of my Rokkors, since I can still adapt them using EF to what-ever adapters, then I got the NEX 7, and my decision was made to keep them stock, I returned the 58/1.2 to stock since it was a mount swap and I have all the bits that came off it, the 28/2 will stay EF since it was a permanent conversion.
....I've been using them for a while now on my NEX-7 and I do enjoy the experience, I do wish the sensor was FF, so I'm crossing my fingers that Sony or someone else releases a FF mirrorless with an EVF this coming year, ie. a NEX-9.

An abstract with Rokkor 28/2.5 on NEX-7 previously posted in the NEX img thread.

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:16 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.74 #9 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

nixland wrote:
MD Rokkor 35/1.8 .... swirly

Love that swirl!!

Nov 03, 2012 at 01:50 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.74 #10 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

joakim wrote:
Here are three with the Rokkor 58/1.2, the first one at ~5.6, the second at 2 or 2.8 and the last wide open. I have had this lens for some time now but haven't gotten around to use it much, hopefully this will improve.

really like the second one.

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mann_p
• •
p.74 #11 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Fantastic shots everyone! I just want to share the hood I "made" for my 58/1.2. It's made of a 55-67mm step-up ring and a 67mm metal tele hood. It's chopsuey, bu it does the job until I find a d57kb hood. It doesn't make vignetting any worse too. I found that a hood is just essential to this lens.

Oh btw, the red rubber ring helps with the grip. It's a rubber bracelet. I could have used black but it's the only one I found laying around

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:04 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.74 #12 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Been too busy with work to post for the last few months. Finally got round to processing some scotland photos from June. Here is the 58 1.2 with 10 stop ND filter, nice and sharp stopped down:

Nov 05, 2012 at 08:54 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.74 #13 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

rokkor MD W 17/4 on a (short) tube:

Nov 07, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.74 #14 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

What happened?

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:40 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.74 #15 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Bifurcator wrote:
What happened?

what do you mean?

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:54 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.74 #16 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Well, usually your images are good.

These are very poor. Camera shake or motion blur all over, there's almost no in-focus areas, and the composition leaves something to be desired.

I know the lens is decent so...

What happened?

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.74 #17 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Bifurcator wrote:

These are very poor. Camera shake or motion blur all over, there's almost no in-focus areas, and the composition leaves something to be desired.

What happened?

handheld macros in poor light. focus was less than a centimeter from the front element. there is a fair bit of motion blur (camera and subject), but i suspect the lens also wasn't designed to handle such a short focus distance. i was mostly curious to see how dof and angle of view looked with such a wide lens for macro. i don't think you can get anything other than abstracts at such a short focus distance.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:21 AM
mann_p
• •
p.74 #18 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Lol talk about tough audience

Nov 07, 2012 at 09:51 AM
mann_p
• •
p.74 #19 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

A playground my daughter and I discovered a couple of weeks ago while exploring the neighbourhood.

58/1.2

Nov 07, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.74 #20 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Bifurcator wrote:

What happened?

sebboh wrote:
handheld macros in poor light. focus was less than a centimeter from the front element. there is a fair bit of motion blur (camera and subject), but i suspect the lens also wasn't designed to handle such a short focus distance. i was mostly curious to see how dof and angle of view looked with such a wide lens for macro. i don't think you can get anything other than abstracts at such a short focus distance.

Ah... I see.

mann_p wrote:
Lol talk about tough audience

Nah, it's not like that. Go check his other work and you'll see.

But I do kinda wish the audience here were tougher! FM used to be like almost all pro level work with only a few such as myself, outside the gates of awesomeness. Now the vast majority or work being posted are weekender snapshots. Very saddening!

Nov 07, 2012 at 11:44 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password