1       2       3              114      
       116              121       122       end

Archive 2010 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

PhotoMaximum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.115 #1 · p.115 #1 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

jlehet wrote:
If one had the 58 1.2, is the 55 1.7 different enough in character that it would be worth having? Seems like the main desirable trait would be the 200 or so grams difference. Yesterday I went on a hike and didn't even bring along the 58 1.2, even though it's my newest lens. I brought the lightweight Olympus 50 1.4 to use as what I've come to think of as the "anti-Zeiss," a less aggressive lens with smoother bokeh. I suppose the 55 1.7 would also make a nice lightweight anti-Zeiss.

I plan on doing a test with the Following: MC Rokkor PG 58/1.2, MC Rokkor 58/1.4 PF, MC Rokkor 55/1.7 PF, and MC Rokkor-X 50/1.7 PF lenses.

I could thrown in a Pentax Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and the Pentax M 50/1.4 as well...

Feb 28, 2017 at 02:39 PM
jlehet
• •
p.115 #2 · p.115 #2 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

You probably don't have an OM Zuiko 50 1.4 MC high serial number around to toss into the mix? (That has been the lens I've been carrying as my legacy smooth bokeh normal lens. I also have the Pentax SMC 50 1.4, but prefer the Zuiko).

Excited to play with the 58 1.2 more, but my last little expedition the Loxia 50 was the runaway star for what I was doing.

Feb 28, 2017 at 08:52 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.115 #3 · p.115 #3 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Sorry, I gave my OM Zuiko 50/1.8 to my nephew. It was the only Zuiko 50 I had. I do use the 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 Zuiko lenses though. Love the 24/2.8.

I have not used any Loxia lens but I am very impressed with all four of my 50/55/58 Rokkor lenses. They are all sort of different but all seem really nice to manually focus and the IQ is really good, especially considering the value that these lenses bring to the table.

I hope to get the the Rokkor shootout test done by Sunday...

Feb 28, 2017 at 09:15 PM
jlehet
• •
p.115 #4 · p.115 #4 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

The Loxia 50 is a whole different look. Bokeh is rather more detailed, sometimes nervous, microcontrast is strong for detail, at least stopped down. The Loxia wide open is rather softer than its more aggressive character at f8.

Looking forward to your shootout.

Feb 28, 2017 at 09:57 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.115 #5 · p.115 #5 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Cool.

Keep working with the 58/1.2. I have played with this lens quite a bit over the years. It really shines at f/2 more than any other aperture in my book.

The Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 lens has been around for decades. It has been a "darling" lens on the Alt section here at FM for years. Several people have championed and promoted this lens which helped create its "legend" status. I was one of the main moderators and writers for the old Cinema5D site that helped create awareness for this lens amongst the film making crowd.

But, here on Fred Miranda, no one comes close to Cogitech for promoting this lens. He may have been a cranky sort, and now departed, but the guy deserves HUGE recognition for his efforts in creating the 58/1.2 Rokkor myth...

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:11 PM
dkerins

p.115 #6 · p.115 #6 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

I think Elizabeth Taylor would have liked my sample of the Rokkor 58 1.2. It is soft and glowy wide open! Here is a shot at 1.2 and one at 2.0. The shot at 1.2 helps to hide the wrinkles on the old NEX-7, making it look quite youthful. Both shots taken with my new-to-me A7 body. Pretty chuffed to be on full frame.

Glowy Rokkor 58 1.2 by David Kerins, on Flickr

Rokkor 58 f1.2 at f2.0 by David Kerins, on Flickr

Mar 01, 2017 at 01:32 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.115 #7 · p.115 #7 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

dkerins wrote:
I think Elizabeth Taylor would have liked my sample of the Rokkor 58 1.2. It is soft and glowy wide open! Here is a shot at 1.2 and one at 2.0. The shot at 1.2 helps to hide the wrinkles on the old NEX-7, making it look quite youthful. Both shots taken with my new-to-me A7 body. Pretty chuffed to be on full frame.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3855/32367408413_3e432992c3_h.jpgGlowy Rokkor 58 1.2 by David Kerins, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2806/33140764046_69a0c7027c_h.jpgRokkor 58 f1.2 at f2.0 by David Kerins, on Flickr

is one of the elements really scuffed up? that's waaayyyy glowier than it should be wide open.

Mar 01, 2017 at 01:52 AM
dkerins

p.115 #8 · p.115 #8 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Hi Sebboh. It sure is. The back element has scratching all around the edge.

I bought it on eBay (caveat emptor) and have been kind of disappointed with the lens so I don't use it that much.

Stopped down it seems okay but when you pay for the 1.2 you kind of want it to be awesome.

Rokkor Lens 1 by David Kerins, on Flickr

lens-issue2 by David Kerins, on Flickr

Mar 01, 2017 at 02:16 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.115 #9 · p.115 #9 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

dkerins wrote:
Hi Sebboh. It sure is. The back element has scratching all around the edge.

I bought it on eBay (caveat emptor) and have been kind of disappointed with the lens so I don't use it that much.

Stopped down it seems okay but when you pay for the 1.2 you kind of want it to be awesome.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8347/8242852737_7dee0a91f0_h.jpgRokkor Lens 1 by David Kerins, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8484/8242867635_c88fded467_o.jpglens-issue2 by David Kerins, on Flickr

bummer!

Mar 01, 2017 at 02:52 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.115 #10 · p.115 #10 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Looks like someone took a belt sander to that lens...

Mar 01, 2017 at 11:33 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.115 #11 · p.115 #11 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Looks like someone took a belt sander to that lens...

maybe trying to trim down the retaining ring to use it on canon?

Mar 01, 2017 at 12:15 PM
dkerins

p.115 #12 · p.115 #12 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Yeah it is chewed up. I wonder if there is a way to fix it. Otherwise might just sell it as a "repair only".

Mar 02, 2017 at 09:56 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.115 #13 · p.115 #13 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

dkerins wrote:
Yeah it is chewed up. I wonder if there is a way to fix it. Otherwise might just sell it as a "repair only".

Most 58/1.2 Rokkors are a little "glowy" when used wide open. I love mine at f/2 as do most fans I think. What is astonishing is how soft and downgraded your lens is wide open, but look at much it cleans up just one stop down at f/2. That is really impressive in a way. It's like you just can't keep great glass down!

I suspect the main subject matter that might make this lens worth keeping would be soft focus portraiture? It would be interesting to see how it renders?

Edited on Mar 02, 2017 at 04:41 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:30 AM
jlehet
• •
p.115 #14 · p.115 #14 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Yeah, I heard of someone somewhere who bought his SO a lens that had been brillo-pad scrubbed, because she wanted that look. He couldn't do the damage himself, but he found one. Was that on FM? I think it's reasonable to sell the lens as long as you are clear about it. Someone will love a bargain or will want that look.

Here's my use of the less-than-week-old 58 1.2, yesterday morning. I also used the also-new Konica Hexanon 135 for this situation. The Rokkor is good too:

http://www.lehet.com/photo/600/pine_rain_fog_prayer_flags_58_a7r22017_0812.jpg

Mar 02, 2017 at 04:30 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.115 #15 · p.115 #15 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Cool.

Keep working with the 58/1.2. I have played with this lens quite a bit over the years. It really shines at f/2 more than any other aperture in my book.

The Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 lens has been around for decades. It has been a "darling" lens on the Alt section here at FM for years. Several people have championed and promoted this lens which helped create its "legend" status. I was one of the main moderators and writers for the old Cinema5D site that helped create awareness for this lens amongst the film making crowd.

But, here on Fred Miranda, no one
...Show more

MYTH?

MYTH?

SACRILEGE !

In all seriousness, I appreciate you saying what you did.

Man, that seems like eons ago. I'm still just as cranky...

Mar 02, 2017 at 06:42 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.115 #16 · p.115 #16 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

dkerins,

I have used A LOT of Rokkor 58/1.2 lenses in my time and none of them produced results like that wide open.

It's a shame. However, as already stated, F2 proves to be more useful in many cases anyway.

Mar 02, 2017 at 06:46 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.115 #17 · p.115 #17 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

jlehet wrote:
You probably don't have an OM Zuiko 50 1.4 MC high serial number around to toss into the mix? (That has been the lens I've been carrying as my legacy smooth bokeh normal lens. I also have the Pentax SMC 50 1.4, but prefer the Zuiko).

Excited to play with the 58 1.2 more, but my last little expedition the Loxia 50 was the runaway star for what I was doing.

The Pentax SMC 50 1.4 is a different beast than the Super-Takumar 50/1.4. The Super-Tak is much more "anti-Zeiss".

If you decide to try the Super-Tak, get one of the yellowed ones (rare earth) and UV cure it.

I wish I never sold mine. Sometimes I don't want to carry the Rokkor around, despite how awesome it is. It is a chunker.

Mar 02, 2017 at 06:54 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.115 #18 · p.115 #18 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Phillip Reeve wrote:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/704/32594652872_0049179a2f_o.jpg

This just screams ROKKOR!

I would probably have guessed that this was the 58/1.2 - which says a lot for the 55/1.7 (which I have never used, actually).

Some very nice shots on the previous page, Phillip.

Mar 02, 2017 at 07:00 PM
dkerins

p.115 #19 · p.115 #19 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

PhotoMaximum wrote:
What is astonishing is how soft and downgraded your lens is wide open, but look at much it cleans up just one stop down at f/2. That is really impressive in a way. It's like you just can't keep great glass down!

I suspect the main subject matter that might make this lens worth keeping would be soft focus portraiture? It would be interesting to see how it renders?

I agree that it does improve at f2. The thing I find funny about it is that wide open it is sharp but it is like you are looking through fog. It is a funny lens and as I mentioned in my first post, if Liz Taylor was looking for a flattering portrait, she should call me. Thanks, all, for the input.

Mar 02, 2017 at 11:59 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.115 #20 · p.115 #20 · ROKKOR Image & Discussion Thread

Just to put things in perspective, and because I haven't had the 'ol 5D out of the bag in a while, I thought I might provide my perspective on the Rokkor 58/1.2 "wide open" vs. f2 thing. I base my perspective on some experience and also some bias and preference. Make no mistake about that.

I grabbed a prop and stuck it on my bench. Then I dug through the closet and found my old friend, the mirror-shaved 5D that I have had since brand-new way back in 20??

I didn't have to dig anywhere to find the Rokkor, because it was right where it was meant to be.

Battery, card, adjust diopter for my old(er) eyes. OK.

Focus-bracketed shots - film counter is the focal point. Slide-click, slide-click, etc.

f1.2 full image:

f2 full image:

f1.2 @ 50%:

f2 @ 50%:

Looking good at 50% on a 5D classic is an indication of how it will look in print, all the way up to very large sizes. I have printed 20"x30" prints based on this rule of thumb and they are always spectacular.

At f1.2, the "dreaminess", natural vignetting, "vortex" of the Rokkor comes through, but the detail is there if you pay attention to the focal plane (even into zone B and zone C - go back and look at the f1.2 full shot in the bottom left).

At f2, the vignetting and "vortex" vanish, the focal plane goes into overdrive, and the bokeh gets even smoother.

The combination of having both of these at your disposal just a click away from each other is like a dream come true for some.

For others, maybe not so much. It's all a matter of perspective.

For those who remember me; hello again, friends. I'll try not to be so grumpy.

For those who I do not know yet, here's an old sample of what I like about the Rokkor wide open:

Mar 03, 2017 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.