Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              11       12       end

Archive 2010 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

it seems like there has been a fair amount of interest as of late in the various mirrorless cameras and how they perform with lenses not able to be converted to slr use. i thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread dedicated showing off the results of these combinations. all mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (current and future releases) are welcome and all lenses that can not be fit on any dslr with an adapter are welcome. both test shots and real pictures are welcome as there seems to be a number of people interested in finding out how well certain lenses work with certain cameras.

i'll start off with the only lens i currently have that fits this category - the olympus pen f 42mm f/1.2. i've only had the camera/lens combo for a couple weeks so i'm still getting the hang of it. it seems to be somewhat of a character lens with quite a swirly bokeh in certain situations. i find it to be quite nice for portraits. here's a shot of the usual stand in for a human in portrait (and most commonly photographed subject on the internet):

and some other random shots

looking forward to seeing what other people are using.

Jul 28, 2010 at 07:19 AM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

Industar-69 on E-P1:

both at f8... not as good as the nice little Oly kit zoom though.

Jul 28, 2010 at 08:00 PM
helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

Nice kitty!

Jul 28, 2010 at 08:48 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

mh2000 wrote:
Industar-69 on E-P1:
both at f8... not as good as the nice little Oly kit zoom though.

it's got an interesting retro look to it. i wish i could say the nex kit lens is better than any of my legacy lenses sadly i don't think thats the case.

Jul 28, 2010 at 09:55 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

hahaha... well, this isn't really a great legacy lens, so probably your kit zoom is better.

Thanks, the I-69 does have a nice classic Tessar look that I like... it just isn't worth using at anything other than f8 though...

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM
systemlayers
• •
p.1 #6 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

GF1+Schneider 25mm 0.95 wide open closest focus

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:21 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

systemlayers wrote:
GF1+Schneider 25mm 0.95 wide open closest focus

looks great and surprisingly macroish, what is the mfd on that lens?

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:39 PM
systemlayers
• •
p.1 #8 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

sebboh wrote:
looks great and surprisingly macroish, what is the mfd on that lens?

This is a pretty sizable crop and i can't remember if i was handholding it or not, i was trying to approach him (they rarely sit still) as close as i could. The GF1 and schneider was the only combo i had around.
It does focus fairly close - 1 foot.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:05 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

a few more from the pen f 42mm. a bit of scaffolding and the only two animals that would let me get close enough to take their picture. all wide open.

i'm starting to quite like this lens.

is there anyone out there with more shots of contax g or zm lenses on 4/3 or NEX? i'd love to see them.

Aug 01, 2010 at 04:05 AM
systemlayers
• •
p.1 #10 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

Love the bokeh of that lens sebboh, wish i had the money to justify that lens. I think i'd rather a canon FD 50 1.2L for that price.

I have the contax g 45 and a 90 on the way but i should really get around to using them, i'll get out and take some shots this week with the 45. In my tests its very sharp wide open but versus the 14-45 kit 5.6 and above it has no sharpness advantage, lower contrast, slightly better bokeh and way different but better color rendering.
When i get the Oly 9-18 I will probably have a complete kit build around it - 9-18, Schneider 25 0.95 (LOVING this lens) and the 45.

Aug 01, 2010 at 04:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

systemlayers wrote:
Love the bokeh of that lens sebboh, wish i had the money to justify that lens. I think i'd rather a canon FD 50 1.2L for that price.

I have the contax g 45 and a 90 on the way but i should really get around to using them, i'll get out and take some shots this week with the 45. In my tests its very sharp wide open but versus the 14-45 kit 5.6 and above it has no sharpness advantage, lower contrast, slightly better bokeh and way different but better color rendering.
When i get the Oly 9-18 I
...Show more

thanks, the really great thing about the lens is the size - it's smaller than either the sony or panasonic kit zooms. i have the canon FL 55mm f/1.2 too and the difference in portability is quite dramatic.

that is sounding like a pretty sweet kit - i almost bought a 4/3 camera just for the 9-18mm, but decided i don't shoot wide often enough to justify the price. i wish that schneider had a bit larger image circle i'm trying to figure out how to cover 35mm equiv right now.

Aug 01, 2010 at 05:54 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #12 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

sony nex 3d panorama 16mm pancake

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:31 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

Earthquake!

Aug 23, 2010 at 03:35 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

ken.vs.ryu wrote:

sony nex 3d panorama 16mm pancake

http://a.imageshack.us/img441/3042/gwbbikes.gif

it's definitely making me dizzy. i keep meaning to try this function, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Aug 23, 2010 at 03:38 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #15 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

sebboh wrote:
it's definitely making me dizzy. i keep meaning to try this function, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

quick stereophotomaker tutorial with the nex
http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2010/08/nex-3d-sweep-panorama-stereophotomaker.html

Aug 24, 2010 at 02:15 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
quick stereophotomaker tutorial with the nex
http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2010/08/nex-3d-sweep-panorama-stereophotomaker.html

cool! thanks.

Aug 24, 2010 at 03:38 AM
3rd_i

p.1 #17 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

I got my NEX-3 at the beginning of the month, my first new digital camera in almost three and a half years. I really dislike the ergonomics of digital P&S compacts and could never bring myself to buy one after getting in to SLR photography, but the NEX feels a lot more like home, in a size that's easy to carry around with me all day. The high ISO isn't quite up to my 5D, but I'm not going to hold that against a camera that will fit in my back pocket with the 16mm pancake attached. The size and operation make it great for candids, letting me get pictures I otherwise wouldn't with my DSLR kit. I'm overall really happy with the NEX, though I'd be over the moon if the next iteration included in-body IS and perhaps a few more tactile controls (over the current menu-driven system).

Here are some samples with my Leica thread mount lenses on an adapter:

Canon 50mm f/1.2

Lighting Up

อะไร?

Goodbye, Private Eye

Jupiter 9 (85mm f//2)

I Found the Bokeh Button.

And the Canon 100mm f/2

I Found the Bokeh Button.

Summer School Show 2010, Wat Mongkolrata

Aug 24, 2010 at 03:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

3rd_i wrote:
I got my NEX-3 at the beginning of the month, my first new digital camera in almost three and a half years. I really dislike the ergonomics of digital P&S compacts and could never bring myself to buy one after getting in to SLR photography, but the NEX feels a lot more like home, in a size that's easy to carry around with me all day. The high ISO isn't quite up to my 5D, but I'm not going to hold that against a camera that will fit in my back pocket with the 16mm pancake attached. The size and
...Show more

wonderful shots, i especially like 2 & 3.

i didn't know canon had made an ltm 100/2, how does it compare size and image quality wise to the jupiter 9? also, how big is that 50 1.2 on the camera?

Aug 24, 2010 at 04:58 PM
3rd_i

p.1 #19 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

Thanks I really like the idea of using Pen lenses on mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras; they're even smaller than RF lenses, and don't have the same close-focusing limitations. The only problem is the damn price, collectors have really gone nuts with the Pen system. I actually sold my Pen FT + 38mm this morning, but I may hunt down another 38mm to use on an adapter as a standard lens. I have a CV 35mm Ultron which is a great lens on my RF, but on the 1.6x crop of the NEX the .9m minimum focusing distance really cramps my style. Maybe a small extension tube or shim for the NEX adapter would be a good idea.

The 100mm f/2 is one of the less-common Canon LTM lenses, by my measurements it's about 2cm taller and 1cm in diameter larger than the J-9. I like it a lot better though; seems like a more useful focal length, higher IQ, and is definitely better-made (I cringe every time I look at the gap in the barrel of the J-9 when you focus it all the way out). I think the Canon goes for around $350-450 on eBay, although they're not always easy to find. I was originally going to sell it because I'm not a fan of longer focal lengths on a rangefinder, but on the NEX it's just way too compelling a lens to part with

I took a bunch of comparison shots when I first got the M-NEX adapter, here they are:

Faces of NEX

Faces of NEX

Faces of NEX

Faces of NEX

Aug 24, 2010 at 05:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · mirrorless camera alt lens thread

3rd_i wrote:
Thanks I really like the idea of using Pen lenses on mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras; they're even smaller than RF lenses, and don't have the same close-focusing limitations. The only problem is the damn price, collectors have really gone nuts with the Pen system. I actually sold my Pen FT + 38mm this morning, but I may hunt down another 38mm to use on an adapter as a standard lens. I have a CV 35mm Ultron which is a great lens on my RF, but on the 1.6x crop of the NEX the .9m minimum focusing distance really cramps
...Show more

yeah, i'm loving the 42mm for it's small size and great mfd. i also just managed to pick up a 38mm for $66! not sure i how i feel about it yet - it's not that much smaller when mounted on the nex-3 and i doubt it'll have any optical advantages over the 42mm. i'll have to shoot some more with it to find out. that 50mm f/1.2 looks quite compact. the shots from the 100mm f/2 look very good but a bit large. i'll probably just stick with my nikkor 105mm f/2.5 for that range.

3rd_i wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4924163770_38ab9c4ac6.jpg
Faces of NEX

Aug 25, 2010 at 08:06 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password