Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2010 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

Granted that the 20/4 might be a better apples to apples with the 21/3.5 but ... I don't have a 20/4.

The 20/2.8 AIS does have the CRC element that the Oly and the 20/4 don't have ... just some perspective, even if not a great head to head match up.

BTW ... you didn't happen to mention anything about the differences between them.

Jul 25, 2010 at 07:46 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

I've done a little research on the Nikkor 20mm f4 AI and was widely regarded as "optically the best 20mm Nikon has produced." Not sure which lenses the various articles compared it too, but if it was always in Galen Rowell's bag. See here: http://www.mountainlight.com/rowell/gr_camera_bag.html

Two things to keep in mind, Rowell usually used this lens stopped down and put a premium on light and portable for his type of shooting.

Jul 25, 2010 at 08:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

Here's a bit of history info on Nikon 20mm

Nikon 20mm @ Mir

and the Oly 21mm
Oly 21mm @ Mir

I've got both in my bag and have never been able to clearly declare one BETTER than the other ... would like to but they simply have different characterstics, such as bokeh, contrast and aberrations in addition to sharpness.

I shot this particular scene because of the mixed lighting between the sky and the statue. My experience has been that in some zones the Nikon can be sharper than the Oly, while on other occassions the Oly can be sharper than the Nikon ... the combination of subject distance(s) and focus range (mfd - infinity) yields different results.

I do think the Nikon is a bit more contrasty and the transitions are a bit more rapid ... but it also can show more aberrations (i.e. blue/purple fringe) on backlit oof (tree branches, etc.) items, giving way to the Oly for bokeh and ability to handle difficult scenes.

SO ... as with most optics, there is always an issue of trade-offs.

Jul 25, 2010 at 09:05 PM
systemlayers
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

Tried suggesting this lens in canon talk and got fanboyd . Not even suggested really just posting in response to another fellow who recommended olys as a good place for cheap and wide.
That canon forum sure can be a dangerous place for an alt guy.
Some people in their are like Nickelback fans.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920505

Anyways i love this lens, it gives me everything i'd expect in a perfect sized package. I'd like to test it against the voigtlander though as auto aperture would be useful (for now i use the lever on the side of the lens).

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

systemlayers wrote:
...That canon forum sure can be a dangerous place for an alt guy.

Yes, but the ZE mount lenses have created a lot of interest, and some of it's spilling over into the 'wild'. Prices look out...

Jul 26, 2010 at 04:59 AM
billsnature
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

I am currently in possession of ZE 21mm, the Nikon 20mm f2.8 the OM 21mm f2.0 and the OM 21mm f3.5. There is only one thing that is absolutely clear...and that is that the image quality of the ZE 21mm (the cinder block) is vastly superior to all of the other lenses. The ZE 21mm costs a ton, and weighs a ton, but it absolutely performs!!

The rest are a case by case basis. OM 21mm f2.0 has outstanding mid range capabilities and ability to defocus background. OM 21 f3.5 (MC version) nice colors and sharp corners, the Nikon is great close up, and good balance of properties.

For me I will consolidate to ZE21mm for critical work and OM 21mm f3.5 for hiking. The best one lens solution is probably the OM 21mm f2.0

Your milage may vary, but I would not let some small images from Zeiss 21mm lead to you to the conclusion that it isn't a stunning lens. It really is. I had hoped to find an equal at a lighter weight and smaller size, but so far, that just ain't happening.

Bill

Jul 26, 2010 at 05:53 PM
cheve
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

@Bill: Is it possible for you do a mini-shoot out with the OM 21/2, 21/3.5, Nikon 20/2.8 and the ZE21 says at f4 and f11. It would be a good reference for lot of people.

cheers,

Jul 26, 2010 at 07:53 PM
dancam
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

For anyone that hasn't seen or used any OM lenses, they are impressive. Overall they are very good performers optically and mechanically. But, the most impressive part, for me, is how small and light the whole system is. Most of the lenses are about the size/weight of comparable RF lenses.

Dan

Jul 27, 2010 at 04:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

A lot of attention is given to the Oly's as being small & lightweight ... which is very true. Unfortunately, sometimes so much attention is given to that fact that people have a tendency to 'assume' that the Oly might compromise IQ in order to achieve their small size ... not so. Some of the Oly's do seem willing to trade off some mfd, but imo that is a very acceptable way of retaining the drawing style / IQ they have ... for me, it's not the size ... it's the Oly colors.

Just like Zeiss has a look (drawing style) of it's own, so does Oly (& Nikon, etc.). If you are looking for the Zeiss look ... you have to go with the Zeiss. If you are looking for anything OTHER than the Zeiss 21 (cost or drawing style) ... the Oly's shouldn't be dismissed. I also considered the Voigt 20mm in my quest (haven't shot it) but it is a bit too 'punchy' for my taste.

The Zeiss 21 is tough to beat in many ways, for many reasons ... but comes at a premium of cost, size & weight ... seeing one in person for the first time can be a bit of an 'omg' experience.

Bill ... bring on the pics !!!

Regarding the OP's reference to the Sigma 20 1.8. I rented one to do some concert work. I can't comment on it's corner sharpness, since I was shooting on 1D MK II, but the 'purple fringe' was pretty significant ... always a trade-off. Depends on what matters most to you.

Edited on Jul 27, 2010 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2010 at 09:13 AM
phidong
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

systemlayers wrote:
Tried suggesting this lens in canon talk and got fanboyd . Not even suggested really just posting in response to another fellow who recommended olys as a good place for cheap and wide.
That canon forum sure can be a dangerous place for an alt guy.
Some people in their are like Nickelback fans.

For the most part, the people who frequent the alt forum are a lot more open minded than the people who solely post in the Canon forum. Quick proof of this can be seen in any of the polls over there where Canon lenses dominate no matter what the question is.

Jul 27, 2010 at 09:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

people who frequent the alt forum are a lot more open minded

We'll try almost anything ... except when it comes to being conventional.

Jul 27, 2010 at 09:22 AM
cheve
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

RustyBug wrote...

Bill ... bring on the pics !!!

unfortunately, he can't do it anymore, his has just been sold and shipped(to yours truly )

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:03 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

phidong wrote:
For the most part, the people who frequent the alt forum are a lot more open minded than the people who solely post in the Canon forum. Quick proof of this can be seen in any of the polls over there where Canon lenses dominate no matter what the question is.

I just love it when I offer an opinion about a manual focus lens over there and the responses range from laughter to insults and aggression. The ignorant assumption is that if a lens does not have AF, then it just doesn't count (and that's the way Canon likes it, too). Soon enough, only lenses with AF and IS will be considered "worthy" by that bunch of fanboy cretins.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM
alexandre
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

Easy, Paul.

Canon (and quite likely Noink) forum is, in its majority, composed of P&S shooters. I guess zooming a lens with the hands will be awkward tor them, imagine these people guessing focus, aperture, exposure...

Those (me included) who like to know about these variables are the geeks and the minority. That's why I post here way more often.

OK, sorry about being OT.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

RustyBug wrote:
A lot of attention is given to the Oly's as being small & lightweight ... which is very true. Unfortunately, sometimes so much attention is given to that fact that people have a tendency to 'assume' that the Oly might compromise IQ in order to achieve their small size ... not so. Some of the Oly's do seem willing to trade off some mfd, but imo that is a very acceptable way of retaining the drawing style / IQ they have ... for me, it's not the size ... it's the Oly colors.

Just like Zeiss has a look (drawing style)
...Show more

Do you really like the Olympus colors? Although I'm a fan for other reasons, I'm not yet a fan of the Oly colors. They seem too blueish or greenish. My Tamron, Zeiss lens and Canons all have warmer colors. My Olys are the odd ones, but sometimes I like it for an "antique" look. I do like the overall drawing style, for a lack of a better word they seem to have a "film" look with a smoother, less exaggerated rendering. I mix & match Zeiss and Oly lenses which makes my RAW files look a little schizophrenic. Good thing I like Photoshop.

Jul 27, 2010 at 01:03 PM
billsnature
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

I was not a fan of Olympus color when using single coated lenses. The Multicoated lenses seem much better and don't have that "antique tinge" you refer to. I used to have the same complaint.
The MC's seem much better

Jul 27, 2010 at 02:50 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

billsnature wrote:
I was not a fan of Olympus color when using single coated lenses. The Multicoated lenses seem much better and don't have that "antique tinge" you refer to. I used to have the same complaint.
The MC's seem much better

Thanks, I'll take look at the MCs. How can you tell which ones are MC?

Jul 27, 2010 at 04:30 PM
billsnature
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

I have found this site to be helpful

http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/misc/lensCoatings.txt

It listed serial number known to be one or the other. Many are marked MC, but not all of the multi-coated lenses bare the MC label

Bill

Jul 27, 2010 at 04:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

+1 @ smoother, less exaggerated rendering ... there seems to be a 'richness' to them, I believe some have referred to it as an egg tempera look.

Jul 28, 2010 at 01:50 AM
kakomu
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Olympus OM 21mm lenses. Whats the deal?

cogitech wrote:
I just love it when I offer an opinion about a manual focus lens over there and the responses range from laughter to insults and aggression. The ignorant assumption is that if a lens does not have AF, then it just doesn't count (and that's the way Canon likes it, too). Soon enough, only lenses with AF and IS will be considered "worthy" by that bunch of fanboy cretins.

Here's an entire thread demonstrating the hostile attitude toward Alt gear, manual focus lenses and people who use them:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920416

Edited on Jul 28, 2010 at 09:45 AM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2010 at 09:12 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.