ZM 35/2

Lux 50

APO 90

Sep 09, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.989 #2 · p.989 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Andrew - great to see you posting and nice shot.
Robert - I love capturing storms and these pics show a good variety. The weather has been quite wonky lately - especially the darn snow that is falling at the moment! PS - time for a sensor clean?

Sep 09, 2014 at 01:31 AM
lostinjapan
• • •
p.989 #3 · p.989 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
Nope, it's the M version, so slightly more difficult I guess . I'll see though, coding might not be essential...

I have this lens and it works very very well. I coded it as a pre ASPH 50 and it works very very well. It is as accurate as my 50ASPH and nearly as sharp wide open. I think you will like this lens.

Ryan

Sep 09, 2014 at 02:07 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.989 #4 · p.989 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Interesting discussion about exposure. I'm kind of old school in this respect and prefer to set everything manually if time and conditions allow. Sometimes I'll do aperture priority, but so far haven't ventured into auto ISO. This is for both my DSLR and Leica systems.

Touching on what Richard mentioned, if it's a work situation, then I'm thinking 'production efficiencies' and want to find the correct manual settings as quickly as possible and keep them locked in for faster processing later. For example, when I shoot football, like the game yesterday, where it was full sun most of the time, I have a standardized exposure for the sunny side and one for the backlit side. I try to avoid shooting in cross light if possible. When it's sunny, or other situations with consistent light, my opinion is there is zero need for auto exposure modes because the light does not change, therefore why should the exposure? But of course, if moving from sunny side to backlit side, of course it changes. On a walking tour such as what Charlie has been posting recently, I'd leave the camera at ISO 200 and any combination of 1/500 f/8 or f/9.5 (I find I have to give the 28 Cron about a half stop more exposure than the 21 SEM or 50 Lux ASPH, or pretty much any other lens).

With the M9 I kept ISO at 160 or 640 and pushed in post as needed. With the M240 I try to keep it at 200 whenever possible and at 1000 for low light situations. I'll go higher than 1000 as the situation warrants and if I feel I can live with the slower fps rate and buffer depth. But usually I opt for 1000 for the faster shooting ability.

Richard, the M240 tolerates over exposure better than the M9 did and underexposure somewhat less gracefully. Shadows of ISO 200 files pushed 3+ stops will look pretty green, which is what that Lightroom plug-in fixes. As the ISO increases, it takes less push in post to reveal the green shift, though shooting at ISO 1250 and higher eliminates it too.

28 Cron Test

So with the most absolutely perfect summer day of the summer thus far, IMO (my sympathy to the folks out in snowy Alberta), I put off many client obligations and went out to shoot a 'quick' 28 Cron on M9 vs. M240 test that seemed to be a topic of interest in the "M240 purchase" thread.

When I get the time, I'll organize the images, but here's what I noticed so far:

- My $5 vented off-brand hood probably causes some vignetting and probably screwed up this aspect of the results, but it's on all of the test images, therefore at least it's consistent.
- Cameras were set to DNG + Jpeg Fine, all manual settings and base ISO for each and manual WB (5200K). I shot the Jpegs in addition to the DNGs to see what Leica's in-camera profile is, rather than seeing Adobe's interpretation of Leica's profile in Lightroom.
- At the identical WB setting, the M9 is a lot cooler, or one could say the M240 is a lot warmer.
- All image sets were shot coded and uncoded on both cameras. The M240 shows less difference between coded and uncoded settings. There is much less color shift and color quality is nearly identical. Vignetting is a bit stronger if uncoded. On the M9, there's a bigger difference in all these qualities. There's greater color shift uncoded and WB/color quality also changes more if uncoded, to a slight magenta tinge. Vignetting also increases.
- The M240 images seem to be every so slightly wider in view, showing slightly more content, hinting at a slightly larger sensor size.
- Looking at the Jpegs, ignoring color/WB differences, overall tonality isn't all that different. Shadow values are quite similar, mid tones, highlight.... at least when shot at f/4 and more stopped down. At f/2 the differences between the M9 and M240 images are significant. Again, this is based on the OOC Jpegs. I haven't yet looked closely at the DNGs. The f/2 M9 images have great contrast and 'sparkle' in the mid tones. The M240 looks quite drab and dull, especially in mid tone and highlight values, as if they were pulled back with excessive highlight recovery. This can be clearly seen in a 'white wall' test where the M240's f/2 and f/2.8 images, to a lesser degree, show the highlight values pulled farther to the left in the histogram compared to the M9. Stop down past f/4 and the histograms from each camera look very similar, as do the images.
- The f/2 white wall test shows an interesting vignetting 'reversal' between the M9 and M240. In the M9's f/2 images, vignetting seems pretty uniform in all directions, from side to side, top to bottom, though the upper part of the image (shot horizontally) seems to have slightly stronger vignetting than the bottom. Normally this would be where the sky is in a landscape... With the M240, the bottom of the image is noticeably darker and the top lighter than the M9. As the lens is stopped down, this difference between the M9 and M240 decreases pretty quickly and is pretty difficult to see after f/4. At f/11 the M9 seems to have a touch stronger vignetting all around. Note that the difference in odd M240 vignetting quality is consistent whether coding is on or off.
- M240 and 28 Cron shot without coding doesn't seem to suffer much from noticeable color shift in most situations and it could be an option if desiring slightly stronger vignetting character. I wouldn't advise it with the M9 due to stronger color shift. That said I was never really crazy about the 28 Cron's coding on the M9, which for me often resulted in green/cyan shift in the lower left and lower right corners.

I might reshoot the test again without a hood, just to eliminate it as a variable for the wider open scenes, though I don't think it will make a significant difference. And I still have to look at the DNGs.

But thus far, if shooting the lens wide open for 'character' images, the M9 will give the aesthetically more pleasing result SOOC. The M240's Jpegs at f/2 look dull in the mid tones and highlights. I put a couple of the DNGs in Lightroom and can tweak the M240 f/2 files to result in similar mid tones and highlight pop, but the odd vignetting 'reversal' remains. I also think color/luminosity mapping is different between the cameras. Blue sky is deeper in M9 images vs. M240. I have to pull back blue luminance in LR ~20 points and add a vignette to the top of the image to get a similar feel.

Bottom line, from initial impressions, it seems the M240's 28 Cron profile is wonky for f/2-2.8. Beyond f/4 the Cron's look on both cameras evens up very closely beyond basic WB differences.

Sep 09, 2014 at 02:15 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.989 #5 · p.989 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Andrew - great to see you posting and nice shot.
Robert - I love capturing storms and these pics show a good variety. The weather has been quite wonky lately - especially the darn snow that is falling at the moment! PS - time for a sensor clean?

Thanks Gary, Snow maybe I should give my sensor a wet wash. Actually I finally did give it a wet cleaning last week after visiting here which was prior to the 2nd storm.

Lux 50

Came across this bee caught in the flower petals

Closer Crop

100% Crop - The bee did get free without any assistance.

Voigtlander 15

Sep 09, 2014 at 02:20 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.989 #6 · p.989 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Going back starting on p1030

Katie - very cute Zsa Zsa shot looks so content, and happy.
zhangyue- Lovely coloration in Zion. Makes me think a colour Leica with a 28cron is a necessity.

Charlie you rock the ZM 35. Like the cupcake with the candle.
Ron - I like that 2nd shot showing nothing but bokeh. Very unique.
Freitz - I can hear the dog, Just pick up the ball and toss it. I'm ready, wait I have to smile you are taking a picture. Nice shot. Don't compare it with the 24-70 MKII different lenses and cameras for different uses.

Joan - very nice composition.

p1031
Ron - The Zeiss 50/1.5 very nice out of focus effects.
zhangyue - nice star effect and the 3rd shot love the impression of the height of the trees.
Richard - love the shot of the car. Nice background effect.
Pingflood - You captured the emotion of the song Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Gary - love the mountain shots but the tree with the moss really caught my attention
Uhoh7 - the first trailhead shot gives an impression the trail could be train tracks. Very nice capture. Lovely set.
Edward - Love the color combination in the starbucks shot.
Gary lovely stained glass capture with just a hint of detail in the shadows
Tophoto - See you captured the dog look at something in the distance. I wonder what the dog is thinking.
Uhoh7 - The third shot with the cron I like the sense of height looking upwards.
Allen - As always love the Monochrom shots of your. My fav is the fellow with the happy face button but his expression is in stark contrast.

p1032
Ryan - love the Great Floating Gate shot, nice coloration. Also love the colours you got in the ladies dresses.

p1033
Katie - I like the facial expression you captured. In deep thought about something.

p1034
Gary - nice symmetry in the 1st castle shot. I like the pictures through the windows.
Tophoto - Nice expression and focus on the face and the pp of the background.
uhoh7 - chapter 3 - the 8th shot the colour of the lake very nice, nice blend of colours in this image.
Andrew - nice love the golden colour you captured.

Sep 09, 2014 at 02:59 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.989 #7 · p.989 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

The last of my recent outings

90 APO

ZM 35/2

Voigtlander 15

Lux 50

ZM 35/2

Sep 09, 2014 at 03:45 AM
flash
• • • •
p.989 #8 · p.989 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
Nope, it's the M version, so slightly more difficult I guess . I'll see though, coding might not be essential...

Frame lines depend on the lens flange. 50mm frame lines will appear coded or uncoded.

Coding gives 3 things. 1) Exif data. 2) Zoom information to a TTL flash and. 3) In camera lens profile correction. On the 50's most of the correction is for vignetting. Very little colour changes are used.

Coding a current Nokton is dead easy because of the groove on the flange. I like my EXIF info, even if the aperture value set is usually totally different to the on recorded... :-)

Gordon

Sep 09, 2014 at 03:51 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.989 #9 · p.989 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Color or B&W? Anyone with an MM cannot vote.

35cron asph

35cron asph

Edited on Sep 09, 2014 at 04:26 AM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:08 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.989 #10 · p.989 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:

What can't vote. Gonna have to give you a call and discuss this further.

Lux 50 (recent trip found this abandoned phone booth with a new phone installed)

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.989 #11 · p.989 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I prefer the color version, Gary. However, maybe if you made the b/w one darker I might prefer it in b/w

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:24 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.989 #12 · p.989 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I'm only kidding Robert! No judging from me....

A bit darker for Edward (1st shot) and an even darker one (for impact)...

35cron asph

35cron asph

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:26 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.989 #13 · p.989 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:

The frame lines come up with the mount (each lens mount is slightly different in size of hump). The coding is only for slight corrections to the lens.

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:33 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.989 #14 · p.989 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
I'm only kidding Robert! No judging from me....

A bit darker for Edward (1st shot) and an even darker one (for impact)...

I kind of like the 1st one more Gary. Now I much prefer it to the color option

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:43 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.989 #15 · p.989 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary - I vote black and white because I don't like rainbow flare (if it were just the red blush flare, I wouldn't mind the color). And out of the black and whites, the first one from your last post. Your travel images with arches framing shots are neat.

Burning heart - Nice images, like the set a lot (random things). The landscapes are also good, though I don't see snow, didn't you say something about a snow day?!

Ron - Told you so Good job though with the explanation. Much better then just listing to my ranting.

uhoh7 - Like the colours in your landscapes this time around.

Andrew Gough - You're gonna have to stop cheating on us.. We like your images more then the other thread

tophoto - good portrait, very mans man kinda look. Eastwood/Mcqueen kinda vibe.

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:46 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.989 #16 · p.989 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Adam and yes snow day today, no photographing today and no class tonight. Granted I could have gone outside and snap a few. Maybe I will in the morning should be lots of white then.

Gary I prefer the colour on my Mac it has that older film look to it.

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:53 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.989 #17 · p.989 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:

i vote b&w. also, if it were me i would keep the exposure but jack up the vignetting and darken the blues in the b&w conversion.

Sep 09, 2014 at 05:53 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.989 #18 · p.989 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice images, everyone.
Burningheart, thank you very much for comment my photo, You have posted some very nice images. Very good process.
Gary, definitely BW dark impact version. Also love your previous set.
Ron, very informative as always, Can I assume difference is mainly from profile? or physically.(vignette difference must be from sensor design though.)

Had a very nice weekend in Yosemite valley. Here are few processed, more to come
all 50lux

Sep 09, 2014 at 06:19 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.989 #19 · p.989 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I recently had all of my Leica kit serviced and adjusted, and now the whole thing shoots like a dream... Here are two of my daughter. I'm doing a series of her and trying to achieve a very particular look. The 90's rendition gets me closer to what I want I think, but the 50's crispness and ease of use is hard to resist.

Any thoughts as to whether these are working, and how to improve them?

M240 + 90mm Summicron (Pre-APO circa 1981)

Leica M240 + 50mm Summilux

Sep 09, 2014 at 09:18 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.989 #20 · p.989 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I would say use a less sharp lens, and maybe add some vignetting, maybe even some grain. They are gorgeous, but lack that authentic period feel. The light is also too directional, perhaps put a large white sheet up in front of it.

Sep 09, 2014 at 09:36 AM
1       2       3              988      
       990              1382       1383       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              988      
       990              1382       1383       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password