Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              988      
       990              1048       1049       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.989 #1 · p.989 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Lovely work Peter in the clearing conditions. My favourites are 4 and especially Howling Wolf. Who has more satisfaction on these hikes, you or the wolf?

Michael - my favourites for this set are the first and last. The same, or similar, succulent plant grows here in Australia - its common name here is 'pigface'.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:01 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.989 #2 · p.989 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

lenticular11 wrote:
Michael - my favourites for this set are the first and last. The same, or similar, succulent plant grows here in Australia - its common name here is 'pigface'.

we call it ice plant

Jun 20, 2014 at 04:19 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.989 #3 · p.989 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, excellent landscapes! Favourite here is the B&W
Katie, awesome portrait. The near eye is nailed, and it is amazing how narrow the DOF is
Michael, the statue is very nice, but the scenes of the beach are superb. Pastel and moody beach scene combined with enhancing the red from foreground plants, ice plant/pig face, are amazing
Peter, amazing set!!! Great work
Lenticular, nice capture!

Edited on Jun 20, 2014 at 10:43 PM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2014 at 04:27 AM
neopan

p.989 #4 · p.989 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, great landscape set. The 3rd in b&w w the 90 cron renders nicely. Never really tried it stopped down for landscape, I should give it a try this weekend.
Michael, dig the composition of the horse statue against the night sky
muc_marlin, brilliant colors in your landscape set, love that wolf photo

At Alki Beach (Seattle) - M9 + ZM25

Jun 20, 2014 at 06:46 PM
ceder
• •
p.989 #5 · p.989 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Advice needed:

I picked up my M9 to shoot some photos, and it already had a bunch of photos on the SD card from a week ago. Took about 20 photos today, reviewed them on the LCD display, then turned off the camera. Transferred the photos from the sd card (Sandisk Extreme SDHC 16GB) to my external hard drive. Then I wanted to import the photos to Lightroom. No new photos detected, only the old ones from a week ago. I then opened the hard drive, and no new photos there either!
Since I had formatted the sd card, I downloaded EaseUS Data Revovery, and managed to rescue some of the photos from the sd card.

However, since I read on the internet that some Sandisk sd cards can be problematic, and that one never should continue to use a card that one has had any problems with, I decided to use a Transcend SDHC 10-speed 16GB card. I put it in the camera and formatted it. Tried it out by taking and transferring some photos. However, when I put it in the M9 again, the camera said: Warning, SD card locked! Took it out, but no, it was not locked. Inserted the card agin, and the camera said: Warning, no SD card. Tried inserting the card 5 more times, same warning. On the 6th try, it worked, and I could take photos.

Now, are my cards too old or damaged? Is my SD-card-slot in the camera faulty? Or could it be battery related (it was above 50%). I have firmware 1.196, is this the latest?
Which SD cards are the best?

Extremely bummed, a camera one cannot trust is worse than no camera at all!

Any advice?

Jun 20, 2014 at 06:57 PM
joakim
• • •
p.989 #6 · p.989 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Could you have gotten some dirt in the SD card slot or dirty since it started to work after a few tries? I am not sure how/if it possible to clean the contacts but maybe you could use a thin needle to feel if anything is stucked in the slot.

Jun 20, 2014 at 07:39 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.989 #7 · p.989 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Terrific shots all of you have posted over the past few weeks. Checked in daily to see what you were doing, but no time for posting. A few from today.

Monochrom
Lux 50

Zeiss 35 F2

Jun 21, 2014 at 05:50 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.989 #8 · p.989 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ceder - I've not had problems with an M9 before in that way. I've had faulty cards though that have acted that way. Do you have another camera you can test the cards with, as when I had card issues, I seen the problem no matter what camera I used. And yes the card worked intermittently.

I used Extreme 8/16GB cards in M9, and I use Extreme Pro 32GB cards in M240.. I bought one of every card on the market for the M240, noticed no real difference between brands (Extreme Pro might have a touch of an advantage, and it's also known to be "the best" so I stick with it. I bought a bunch of them in the end [15] for a good price). Once and a while, I format with SD formatter, but I honestly don't notice a speed difference.

Try SD Formatter, it's free!

Nice shots everybody.

Jun 21, 2014 at 09:31 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.989 #9 · p.989 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

So I've examined a few A7s photos that were shot on 6400 and 12800 ISO, and honestly, I'm getting similar results if not better, shooting my M240 at 800-1600 ISO and just pushing it in LR. Does anyone feel that doing so gives a camera an unfair advantage? I mean considering the A7s was built for high iso! I'm also seeing just as good images from my 1Dx, but still it's noted as being far better as a high iso camera then the Leica. And again, as mentioned I think that the sharp M lenses give the Leica a serious advantage at high ISOs (weak filter helps), as you still get the detail, and the file doesn't get mushy.

So is 1600 ISO by an M240 pushed two stops in LR effectively the same speed/light gathering as the A7s at 6400 ISO?

The tests I've done thus far seem to actually make an image brighter when pushed two stops in LR, then when just shot with a M240 at the respective ISO. So I seem to think there's a light advantage to LR, as well as getting overall a less noisy shot.

As Ron (I think) has noted, the only problem with pushing the iso can be the greens in the shadows. I don't always notice it, unless shooting in certain artificial lighting conditions. The M9 also had issues with pushing ISO in LR, but I think in both cases LR is the way to go for anything past 1600 ISO.
The last issue, and this is something that only happens all the time on one of my three M240 cameras, is banding at high ISO. So if I shoot at 12800 or 25,600 I see banding, but it doesn't look horrid if I convert to black and white.

I have great samples of this from my recent wedding, and I'm just now getting around to check some of the files, which is why I thought I'd bring it up. Shoot a lot of dark 800 or 1600 shots, pushing 2-3 LR stops has still given me amazing results however! Will have actual samples when I've finished the wedding in a few weeks.

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.989 #10 · p.989 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

@cedar.

I know how you feel. Was on a big hike, 14gbs of raw on the card, and suddenly the M9 didn't like it anymore. After battery reset, it would take one shot, then next would make the write light flash, till u removed the battery again.

I bought two new cards of a type somebody here liked, and I will not take big walks with one card anymore.

new lens arrived, seems as new:

L1014959 by unoh7, CV 50/1.1

L1014974 by unoh7, 135/3.4 APO @ f/3.4

calibration seems excellent.

L1014956 by unoh7, CV 50/1.1 Hammock testing

Sem 21 came back from DAG and is now tight:

L1014940 by unoh7, SEM 21

L1014939 by unoh7, SEM 21

gearing up:

L1014883 by unoh7, CV 50/1.1 @f/1.7

135/3.4 APO Telyt feels good on the camera. Not that heavy out by the hood, so it handles very well, and actually looks good mounted too. I have a special walking stick monopod coming for that lens:

Brunton Monopod

Since M9 is so big and retro heavy, I'm having to make up that weight everywhere else. Luckily ultra-light camping is now the rage and lots of great gear. You can get a weeks worth of food and all your stuff down to about 25 lbs. I wish Leica would get a clue and give us a backcountry M body.

They forgot that was the original idea back in the 20s

Edited on Jun 21, 2014 at 03:18 PM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2014 at 02:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.989 #11 · p.989 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Congrats!^^^

Ceder, I don't see the same behavior, but not surprised to see it. My Leica doesn't like Sandisk extreme pro card, it almost kill 3 my extreme pro card, my computer can't format them, and none of my 4 camera can format them, interesting, until 6D, 6D save all three that be able to format them

My experience indeed is whenever the card problem happened with M9 before, the card will have much higher chance fail on M9 again. So all those pro card are used with Sony A7 and RX1. and only use Ultra card for Leica, which never failed since update to latest firmware.

Hope it helps.

Jun 21, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.989 #12 · p.989 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen - nice group portrait. It's amazing that everyone has nice, natural smiles.
Katie - I'm surprised you managed to pull off a shot of a tween! Looks like you are having fun with the lux. My kids will not stop for one second - nevermind posing.
Lenticular - I hope your distraction didn't take away from all those nice bikes.
Peter - those are all superb! I really like the first and last shots the best but all are great. I would LOVE to go hiking there.
Michael - nice coastal shots. I love shooting in the fog but we don't get much around here....
Robert - If I bought an MM, I would also make my first trip to Heritage Park for some vintage shooting. I like the portrait of the lady.
Charlie - can't wait to see shots from the 134. Some of Peter's landscape shots look great with this lens.

Jun 21, 2014 at 03:50 PM
ceder
• •
p.989 #13 · p.989 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the input on SD cards folks! Think I will buy a new card, and try the Ultra!

Jun 21, 2014 at 04:46 PM
joakim
• • •
p.989 #14 · p.989 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Playing around with the CV 15/4.5, it's been a while since I last used this lens.

Jun 21, 2014 at 05:36 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.989 #15 · p.989 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joakim, I'm sorry to be the one who brings you the bad news, but I think the spots on your sensor look very much like delamination. You should try to clean the sensor and if the spots don't go away, the they're almost certainly delamination.

Jun 21, 2014 at 06:51 PM
joakim
• • •
p.989 #16 · p.989 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll start by cleaning the sensor and let's hope it is just dust spots.

Jun 21, 2014 at 07:37 PM
HEMIROTT

p.989 #17 · p.989 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

My son and meeting his 98 year old great grandmother for the first time.

Jun 21, 2014 at 08:06 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.989 #18 · p.989 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

HEMIROTT - Nice shot!

joakim - Last one is very interesting.

uhoh7 - cool shots, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the new lens. And yes, I've also bought into the ultralight hiking gear (I don't ever get a chance to use the stuff though).

Jun 21, 2014 at 08:46 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.989 #19 · p.989 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.989 #20 · p.989 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Summer in Toronto

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:46 PM