FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              983      
       985              1381       1382       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

KatieInTexas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.984 #1 · p.984 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Cal - anyone questioning that lens should just simply see the images and let all doubt fly away. These are lovely!
Edward - fabulous tones, and focus.
Nico - gorgeous compositions as always. Your city scapes always keep me happy, too. Love your work.
Gary - I like your "something different" lately. Nice.

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:04 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.984 #2 · p.984 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Katie, Zhangyue!

Nico, fabulous landscapes! So different from your geometric cityscapes

Zhangyue, love the effect of the dusk with the camera LCD illuminating your daughter's face. Well seen and perfect exposure.

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:16 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.984 #3 · p.984 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Had a couple of days off but was so tired I hardly used the camera. It's a little over a year since I used my other RF camera, so I need a little time to adjust back to it still... just general use/ergonomics. Still not quite adjusted to the focus ring/tab. But anyway, only positives so far. The battery seems wonderful. Haven't opened any files yet though (famous last words...). Case arriving tomorrow!

Mescalamba wrote:
nicoimages

Wow, you make really fine photos. When watching first I thought "is that film?".. very nice colors, I know its not film.. but still.

My first thoughts were "VSCO" . But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... you just see a lot of it in the wedding industry right now.

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:30 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.984 #4 · p.984 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi guys, nice images!

Did anyone read the 35 1.4 ZM rumour?
Last time I talked with Zeiss directly, they told me that all ZM lenses are on the back burner until at least late 2015. I'd be shocked if they release something earlier, or at photokina. In fact, I didn't think it was happening.

Thoughts?

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:56 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.984 #5 · p.984 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Hi guys, nice images!

Did anyone read the 35 1.4 ZM rumour?
Last time I talked with Zeiss directly, they told me that all ZM lenses are on the back burner until at least late 2015. I'd be shocked if they release something earlier, or at photokina. In fact, I didn't think it was happening.

Thoughts?

It it's true I'm getting one

Sep 04, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.984 #6 · p.984 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

It looks a bit on the large side on the teaser image. EG fatter than the CV35/1.2 - but will it be as heavy?

Sep 04, 2014 at 06:13 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.984 #7 · p.984 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

As someone who really likes 35mm it would have to be something special to sway me. Just the size of a modern 35/1.4 alone is enough of a out off to me... I can't see any images, but 35/1.2 size, no thank you. But, great that they're putting effort back into zm if so

Sep 04, 2014 at 06:20 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.984 #8 · p.984 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

The images in that ad are not to scale, Richard.

Sep 04, 2014 at 06:42 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.984 #9 · p.984 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hmmm, I'd be interested to hear more about this ZM 35.

So - hypothetically speaking - if you could pick ONE 35 for right now ... which one and WHY would you pick it? Budget is UNDER 2K. Leica 35 Summilux pre ASPH or Cron pre ASPH or ASPH? Which version?

Here's another shot of Zsa Zsa with the 50 Lux

Sep 04, 2014 at 09:43 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.984 #10 · p.984 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Katie, funny face

I will pick 35cron v1 with goggle version for less than $1500(you should not surprise) or summarit for less than $1200 or 35lux V1 for less than $2000. (but I know this one is not as sharp as others once stop down)

28cron Zion a while back
I think I did put Leica polarize at the time.

Sep 04, 2014 at 09:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.984 #11 · p.984 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:

So - hypothetically speaking - if you could pick ONE 35 for right now ... which one and WHY would you pick it? Budget is UNDER 2K. Leica 35 Summilux pre ASPH or Cron pre ASPH or ASPH? Which version?

Here's another shot of Zsa Zsa with the 50 Lux

I presume you mean an M lens. If you don't need the speed, the Summarit has wonderful boke. Otherwise I think I would choose the 35 Cron ASPH at this point. I used to own the 35 Lux ASPH (pre-FLE), and it was great, but also quite a bit of trouble, especially focus shift. Anyway, it is probably too expensive. The pre-ASPH is very special, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a horrible way. Sebboh has posted some samples here recently where you can see both behaviours. The Cron ASPH comes quite close to the Lux ASPH. The older Crons are IMO "character" lenses, sometimes nice, but not nearly as strong optically near wide open. A quick warning: the 35 Cron IV, the pre-ASPH, was named "the king of boke" by Michael Johnston, but he was talking about the performance at f/4, and wide open it is soft-ish, has CA and the boke isn't always nice. If you are interested in this lens, you might want to look at a lot of samples first, perhaps on Flickr or the l-camera-forum. It is a bit overpriced for what you get, probably owing to its (misunderstood) reputation.

Sep 04, 2014 at 10:20 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.984 #12 · p.984 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Katie, funny face

I will pick 35cron v1 with goggle version for less than $1500(you should not surprise) or summarit for less than $1200 or 35lux V1 for less than $2000. (but I know this one is not as sharp as others once stop down)

28cron Zion a while back
I think I did put Leica polarize at the time.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5584/15134862822_d69b041991_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3858/14948551109_2a0d3f634e_b.jpg

great shots, but where can I get a cron v1 for $1500?

Sep 04, 2014 at 11:38 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.984 #13 · p.984 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:

ZM 35 should run around 700, more or less, and technically from about f/4 to f/16 it may be the best of all the 35s--for sharpness and complete lack of distortion.

As Derek has noted, the bokeh can be edgy, but I haven't found it distracting. At f/2 the lens is slightly soft.

But there are many great 35s, cron asph, cron v1, etc.

And many good "cheap" 35s, too: CV 35/2.5, CV 35/1.4

The CV 35/1.2 is the best low light lens for any leica IMHO, because it's easier to focus than the fast 50s--but it's heavy.

In my research, I found many who swear by the zm 35/2.8, which is smaller than the 35/2, and has a totally different character, great with people etc. That one is about 700 also.

Here's the CV 35/1.2

WIlson-159 by unoh7, on Flickr

@CVickery nice work with the 28cron on M240 Maybe it's not as terrible as i thought

I see the zm 28/2.8 works maybe well on the M240 also----was nico shooting M240 in those nice landscapes?

zm 35:

L1012520 by unoh7, zm 35 f/8

L1012424 by unoh7, zm35/2 f/3.4

Edited on Sep 05, 2014 at 01:38 AM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2014 at 01:21 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.984 #14 · p.984 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
The images in that ad are not to scale, Richard.

Did you mean me? Good point, though it still looks a bit fat relative to the size of the mount. Anyway, I'm definitely excited to find out more about it!

Sep 05, 2014 at 01:28 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.984 #15 · p.984 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Carsten and Uhoh. I did have the CV 35 1.2 and really enjoyed it. Sold it because of the size and the fact that I wasn't using it (I had so many lenses at the time ... but now am down to just 2 - the 50 and 21). I do have the Ricoh GR, which is a 28, and while I am using and liking that camera; I just think sometimes that I need a gapstop between the 50 and 21. Something with character... something interesting.

Sep 05, 2014 at 01:36 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.984 #16 · p.984 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Thanks Carsten and Uhoh. I did have the CV 35 1.2 and really enjoyed it. Sold it because of the size and the fact that I wasn't using it (I had so many lenses at the time ... but now am down to just 2 - the 50 and 21). I do have the Ricoh GR, which is a 28, and while I am using and liking that camera; I just think sometimes that I need a gapstop between the 50 and 21. Something with character... something interesting.

I'd suggest either one of the 35 crons or the zm 35/2.8 C-biogon

Sep 05, 2014 at 01:42 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.984 #17 · p.984 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Lots of great images recently!

Gary - loving the variety and grandeur from Budapest(?). The stained-glass image is great too with the subtle tonality of the statue. The sets of the kids with the Canon 50/1.4 are also great!
Michael - great images, as always of your kids! Those of your daughter at dusk are fabulous. Very bold look for Zion!
Nico - beautiful!
Charlie - you live in an amazing place! With the ZM35/2 you might get best sharpness/contrast at ~f/5.6 for infinity scenes. Have you noticed much difference at f/11+?
Katie, nice sets of your boys - they don't mind mom snapping away?
Cal - looks good and congrats on the 28 Cron! Heading up to the French River area in a few weeks... looking forward to it!
Joakim - great street find of the guy with two dogs!
Rocky - fabulous set! The last one is interesting with the direct eye contact.
Leonas - great FLE images!
Robert - feels very barren..

Sorry if I missed anyone else... been slacking off again but goofed around a bit with the Zeiss-Opton Sonnar 50/1.5 before dinner today...

Was at a camera store yesterday and noticed they had a demo T on display so messed around with it a bit. Took me a bit of time to get used to it, but it actually didn't seem too bad in general. The most annoying thing was not being able to turn off the auto image review feature after each exposure. I spent most of the time trying the M lenses I happened to have along with me. The EVF seemed to work well here, and is certainly nicer than the M240, though the magnified focus mode seemed a bit oversampled and weird looking. The feel was great, as were the general ergonomics. The shutter also sounded great, along the lines of the M240. After the T I tried a Sony a6000 and it felt cheap, haha... Typical Sony mess of buttons on the back, but it sure was responsive!

Katie - 35mm... tough one, as it's not one of my regularly used focal lengths at the moment. If you are looking more for character, then the Canon 35/2 LTM. It's relatively cheap at ~$400. I should shoot with mine more often. If you want technical performance, then the CV35/1.2, though it's huge (but fast). At the other end, I'd second the 35 Summarit. For 'Leica Glow' I'd vote 35 Lux pre-ASPH... a lens I still want to try. Haha, so much for picking one. If that's the case, then some flavor of 35 Cron, though I haven't tried any.

Edit - I see I was slow in posting and there were a number of additional posts about 35mm options...

I started with the ZM35/2.8. It's a very good lens though the 35/2 is technically better. You'll get typical Zeiss boldness/contrast with it. But it's a modern lens and thus is very clean in its rendering. It's a great, small lens to just toss in the bag with your two others, just in case, that said, I've hardly used my lately... If I want wide open character on the vintage side, I'll grab the Canon instead. It's as small, if not smaller than the ZM35/2.8. Stopped down past f/5.6 and it will give any modern lens a serious run, just giving up a bit in color saturation.

Sep 05, 2014 at 01:50 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.984 #18 · p.984 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Katie - some great advice from everyone on the 35's. You may want to give one of the vintage varieties a whirl - maybe the Canon 35/2 or 35/1.8 ltm. Both can give a bit of interesting character. If you want some character, you may want to choose something other than the 35cron asph. I have it (and love it) but it is really not too "interesting". However, it is such a strong performer and super sharp across the frame right from f/2 onwards. I like it a lot and feel it is somewhat underrated. Many feel it is a bit "clinical"....

Sep 05, 2014 at 02:02 AM
freitz
• •
p.984 #19 · p.984 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Quick Test shot of my Dog First Day M240

My Dog

Sep 05, 2014 at 02:09 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.984 #20 · p.984 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
... I just think sometimes that I need a gapstop between the 50 and 21. Something with character... something interesting.

My favorite lens in the world might qualify: Leitz Summaron 35/2.8 M/LTM. Besides its petite size and attractive optical character, the handling is divine. Barrel design is shared with the Summicron v1, but price is much less extreme.

Sep 05, 2014 at 02:10 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password