FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              980      
       982              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.981 #1 · p.981 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

A quick question... I don't need to enable a manual profile for the CV 35/1.4 do I? Just reviewing tests inside I assumed I didn't need to. But about to take a couple of days off so wanted to make sure I don't return to any weird colour casts!

Aug 31, 2014 at 08:44 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.981 #2 · p.981 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Pingflood, thank you! Love the vintage Saab shot!

Richard, as far as I remember, the CV 35/1.4 needs some correction, but I'm not sure how bad is the color shading and whether you can get away without selecting a profile.

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:19 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.981 #3 · p.981 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Some more 50 planar shots from today:

M240 - ZM 50 Planar by edward karaa, on Flickr

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.981 #4 · p.981 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
A quick question... I don't need to enable a manual profile for the CV 35/1.4 do I? Just reviewing tests inside I assumed I didn't need to. But about to take a couple of days off so wanted to make sure I don't return to any weird colour casts!

I would code it as one of the 35s, prolly the 35 lux asph (not FLE).

Do it with a sharpie, or in camera on the menu.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:10 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.981 #5 · p.981 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:

uhoh7 wrote:
I would code it as one of the 35s, prolly the 35 lux asph (not FLE).

Do it with a sharpie, or in camera on the menu.

If it's your only lens, then you can set the profile in-camera. The problem with this and using more than one lens is you'll inevitably forget to change the profile setting.

You don't have to set any profile for it, but a consequence could be some color shift at the edges. Best to test this quickly shooting a white wall with the lens set to infinity to determine if it's a factor. Not coding the lens or setting a code in-camera also won't give you lens focal length info in EXIF.

Coding with a Sharpie marker is difficult if you don't have the coding mask for correct placement of a coding marks, such as the one sold by Match Technical. I think there might also be some home-brewed solutions floating around online..

A cross post from the "M240 purchase" thread:

These were all shot with the 28/2 Summicron at around f/2.8, Adam's least favourite lens. (I'll admit, it has lost some of its M9 moodiness).

A little story about these photos... On the morning of the wedding, the guy who I shoot these with/for, called in a panic because someone had broken into his house and stolen his Canon DSLRs (while he was asleep upstairs - scary!), therefore he wanted to use mine for the wedding. To which I obliged, and as usual, shot with the M240, but also with an older Canon DSLR (hated that experience). During the reception, instead of taking the 'lazy' approach I have for this season and shooting the dancing porting with the 1DX and 16-35, I instead shot it with the M240 because he was using my 16-35. No, I couldn't blast away at 12 fps and no, I couldn't rely on the flash's AF assist light to simply point and shoot. Instead I had to actually concentrate on focusing in the strobing dance floor lighting, combined with knowing the lens's focus tab position for various focusing distances... and somewhat to my surprise, it worked out pretty well, with a high focus hit rate...

Charlie - really enjoyed the hiking tour. Again, you have some amazing scenery in your neighborhood! The images of 'the monster' with the CV90 and the ZM18 lake reflection are favourites!
Edward - Great feel to these! With my 50 Lux ASPH at Leica, I've 'fallen back' to the ZM50P and have been reminded just how great a lens it is, and easy to use. For faster lens needs I've been using the Zeiss-Opton Sonnar with some decent success. Maybe I should just sell the Lux ASPH?
pingflood - beautiful find and the file looks great too!

Adam, I emailed Leica NJ about the option of an M-P upgrade and never heard back. Doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't, but suspect the fact it's not simply cosmetic as it was with the M9 adds complications, such as restoring the frame line selector and upgrading the RAM, which might mean PCB replacement of some sort... I'd like a RAM upgrade option, but doubt it will be offered.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:43 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.981 #6 · p.981 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Nice action shots Ron! It's amazing that you were able to focus so accurately with such light!

Thanks for your comments by the way. I wouldn't ever dare to suggest that you sell the Lux in a Leica thread

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.981 #7 · p.981 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Hi Ron, nice images.. It is my least favourite lens on an M240. It's not a bad lens, it just is a bad lens in comparison to what it was on an M9 IMHO. I sent you a PM BTW.

Edward - I just double checked. You might want to figure out what's wrong with your cam. I'm pretty sure that I'm not getting any funny banding after the updates. I verified this with all of my cameras looking at before and after-the-update images.

Something really WEIRD that I just noticed though. My 50 Summilux-ASPH is acting like my old E46 50 Summilux. It's blooming like crazy wide open, all of a sudden. I don't really have any images worth showing the effect I'm getting (as in, I don't like the shots that I took so I'm not posting them).. But its acting like it has haze or fungus, or like I put Vaseline on the lens. REALLY weird. And not fogged up from a cold car to a hot day (I checked). Absolutely nothing wrong with the lens.. Haven't checked the sensor, but it's to late over here, and I just thought about the sensor.. Hmm will check the sensor tomorrow. Weird though, also causing the lens to not be sharp at all.

Not a picture showing the white blooming, which is incredibly noticeable in the colour shots. Just one of the shots that I liked from my outing.

50 Summilux-ASPH @ 1.4 [not acting up after my rant above]:

Aug 31, 2014 at 01:57 PM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.981 #8 · p.981 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Two from yesterday with the M9 and the 28 cron.

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:33 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.981 #9 · p.981 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joakim - love the interaction of lines in the bike and background! The pick-up is a nice find too.

Thanks Edward! I of course chalk it up to experience rather than luck... I'm sure I'll return to my senses when I get the Lux ASPH back from Leica.

Adam - got your message. Thanks! Regarding your 50 Lux ASPH: is there any play in the body? The problem you're seeing sounds awfully a lot like what I experienced and finally forced me to send mine to Leica. It had a small but noticeable amount of play - maybe 1/2mm (just guessing), but when used in live view with the M240 and focusing on something, it was very hazy/glowy wide open, yet stopped down to f/2 or more, sharpened up and looked normal. I found that if I pushed the lens (mounted on the camera) towards the camera, that the wide open live view images would instantly sharpen and look like a 50 Lux ASPH normally should look wide open (the plane of focus would also move and be in agreement with the rangefinder again).

If your lens is not loose, then I'm not entirely sure. I'd try shooting it wide open, at f/2 and f/2.8 to see how or if the blooming changes. It could be possible that something has 'slipped' out of alignment internally.

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:48 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.981 #10 · p.981 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.981 #11 · p.981 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charlie, another nice set from Mountain
Ron, I like the way you process those file, good handle on lighting and you capture the moment.
Adam, superb portrait, love it.
Joakim, #1 has real 3D
Edward, your M240's image color is very close what I saw from your M9 before. Those street shots are great especially the man out of the door.
Allen, Love that sun star

50lux ASPH WO yesterday
Adam, do they looks soft to you

Aug 31, 2014 at 05:21 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.981 #12 · p.981 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Still not shooting much (just local real estate) ... still uninspired. LOVE looking at everyone else's shots, though.

I feel like a non participant, so here's some boring shots from a shoot. CV 21 1.8 on the M-E (50 lux on the last shot). Agent likes "light and airy" aka: high shadows and low contrast ... pretty much the opposite of what I like. Hehe. Think I might start playing with a new processing style soon.

Aug 31, 2014 at 05:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.981 #13 · p.981 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Katie, as you know, the client/customer is always right! Still, I like the look of those.
Michael - great set and expressions of your son.
Adam - forgot to say I love the look of that image.
Allen - very graphic and also like the starburst effect.

In case anyone is curious, Roger of Lensrentals has posted an article looking at field curvature of some rangefinder wide angle lenses. Definitely a lens geekery type thing, but also informative, IMO as it certainly demonstrates in an effective visual manner a characteristic of these lenses that has been difficult to research without actual trial and error use.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/08/some-m-mount-field-curvatures

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.981 #14 · p.981 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron - really nice wedding shots. The 28cron looks real good there with the M240. It also looks like a real fun wedding! PS - thanks for the link to the article.
Adam - really nice portrait and it looks great in B&W.
Joakim - nice colors. I see many old trucks like that here in Alberta.
Allen - nice processing on that one. Very sharp indeed....
Michael - nice soft mood in these pics. Curious what ISO you shot them at...

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:24 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.981 #15 · p.981 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Here is a pic from a few weeks ago that I really like. I love how the Canon 50/1.4 ltm performs wide open at fairly close distances - especially in B&W. It reminds me a bit of the 50lux pre-asph. I am also amazed that I produced this shot when I heard from an expert (forget exactly where) that the M240 is completely "unusable". Guess I got lucky....

Edited on Dec 14, 2016 at 03:44 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:29 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.981 #16 · p.981 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Joakim - love the interaction of lines in the bike and background! The pick-up is a nice find too.

Thanks Edward! I of course chalk it up to experience rather than luck... I'm sure I'll return to my senses when I get the Lux ASPH back from Leica.

Adam - got your message. Thanks! Regarding your 50 Lux ASPH: is there any play in the body? The problem you're seeing sounds awfully a lot like what I experienced and finally forced me to send mine to Leica. It had a small but noticeable amount of play - maybe 1/2mm (just guessing),
...Show more

Yep, that's what I was thinking... LOVELY, since I'm travelling in two weeks. Will run some tests. Thanks for the heads up.

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:11 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.981 #17 · p.981 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joakim - Nice, the yellow truck really pops!

airfrogusmc - Gary's right, nice sunstar, 15 pointer

zhangyue - Nice shots, no not at all.. Your lens isn't doing what my lens is doing. My lens is more like Gary's Canon right now.

Gary - Yep, not usable.. Might as well send me the M240 and get yourself a A7s. In fact, I'll send you an A7s for your M240 deal? Also, right now your 50LTM shot and my 50Lux-ASPH have something in common image wise. Nice capture BTW.

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:18 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.981 #18 · p.981 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron - Just unmounted the 50Lux-ASPH and after examining it. To which I seen no haze or anything out of the ordinary. I also shook it some, to see if I could hear or feel anything amiss. Nothing seems wrong. So I checked my sensor and also nothing seems wrong. Mounted the sucker again and it's working perfectly fine. I'm going to use it all day today, and see if the problem comes back. In all fairness though, it's slipped out of alignment again, and now it back focuses, go figure

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:22 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.981 #19 · p.981 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Adam, thanks for checking out the banding. My camera doesn't produce it anymore. Banding is caused by electrical interference so maybe the reason for the banding is gone. Sorry about your Lux, the photo looks great though

Joakim, really like the 1st shot and the truck

Zhangyue, thanks! I find the M240 color to be very close to that of the M9. Perhaps with slightly warmer reds and more saturated blues. Beautiful portraits of your son!

Gary, you captured a very nice moment!

Sep 01, 2014 at 04:44 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.981 #20 · p.981 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ok, tried using it on my other camera today, and nothings wrong with it. Tried another lens on my main camera and nothing is wrong with the camera. I'm starting to think a lot of the problems I'm having has to do with the mount for some reason. Anything anyone can think of that would be worth checking? My mount seems fine, nothing looks bent, and the pin works like on the other cameras. Lenses all seem to click into place fine.. So what's the deal? Why sometimes when I mount the lens does it act out, and other times it doesn't?

Edward - I can see the problem being magnetic interference from nearby buildings and power lines, with the way Bangkok's power lines are laid out. One neat thing about Singapore, no power lines.. Everything is below ground. Something you take for granted living here, and hardly even notice.

Sep 01, 2014 at 08:51 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.