Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              957      
       959              1024       1025       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.958 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Get that lux, Katie! ASAP, and sell your lenses later

greening fast

L1011230 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1011178 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1011295 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1011299 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1011302 by unoh7, on Flickr

28 cron and 21 SEM

Edited on May 16, 2014 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2014 at 04:10 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.958 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Silver has more brass, that's why it's heavier.. So technically it's built "better"

Katie - As mentioned the ASPH version has been around for a while, never replaced though, try to find one that's six bit coded and you should be good. You can look up serial numbers, but I don't think it's really that necessary if the lens is in good condition.

May 16, 2014 at 04:16 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.958 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Uhoh - #4 and #5 are gorgeous!!!!!!!

Adam - I'm leaning toward silver. The lens I like for "looks" the best of the one's I've had was a chrome 28mm ... I like the classic look. It might clash a bit with the ME coloring, but it's not bad...

I've sent a PM for a lux on the B&S forum in silver ... we shall see. It's from July 2013 in like new condition.

May 16, 2014 at 04:43 PM
AshNZ
• •
p.958 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I would only buy silver if you REALLY like the color. It is significantly heavier than black.

May 16, 2014 at 04:57 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.958 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

muc_marlin wrote:
Sad words after spending so much money on a camera body! Even more since they get replaced by the most of us as soon a new generation comes out.

Regarding the M9 generation, in terms of repairs I agree with you. But if they fit your needs as a amateur today and your shooting style/interests aren't changing, they will continue to produce great images with that desirable character. If you are after ISO power, highest possible dynamic range or a pro which works with demanding galleries, you should go forward as you said. But take me for example, I love to
...Show more

As Rirakuma said, the difference isn't that dramatic. Sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not. The M240 has a few undeniable advantages to me, like quieter shutter, better high iso and LCD, live view when needed. However, I am very convinced that in terms of color quality the M240 is a step backwards, and it is entirely due to the CCD vs CMOS difference. This said the M9 has it's own set of problems, especially cracking and delaminating sensor glass. Being in Thailand, I would expect to change the sensor at least once a year, which means 3-4 months a year without a camera, even if Leica does it for free, that is not really acceptable to me and the mainnreason why I switched to the M 240.

May 16, 2014 at 05:02 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.958 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Omg, I just bought one.

May 16, 2014 at 08:11 PM
joakim
• • •
p.958 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Welcome to the club Katie!

May 16, 2014 at 08:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.958 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Katie, Congratulation for the new lens. Enjoy it.

Edward, I agree pretty much everything you said about M240 vs M9. Accurate frame is a pain for M9 user if you are into landscape, but other than that and some minus bugs, I don't have much complain about M9 general speaking. I keep thinking replace my M9 with chrome M9P for the looks, guilty

50lux ASPH WO from recent.

May 16, 2014 at 09:09 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.958 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ceder wrote:
While I never tried it myself, just looking at images with the lux 50 asph, I think it is the best reason to shoot with a Leica, so I would do it if you are not happy with your 50-nokton (for now, I am very very pleased with the new version - and I am intrigued of the look of this lens on the Sony A7/r, the curvature of field is very much different, more "classic"). Is yours the old or the new version by the way?

And what about your CV 35 1.2, is it the II version? I may
...Show more

Both are version I, but perform VERY well. The CV 35 1.2 is one I am not sure about selling, so if you want mine, you better grab it before I change my mind!

May 16, 2014 at 09:10 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.958 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks again everyone for humoring me and giving me such great advice about my purchase. I would love for everyone to post their 50 lux asph shots now (like zhangyue has) ... give me something to look forward to until I get the lens next week!

May 16, 2014 at 09:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

KatieInTexas
• • •
p.958 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

My kids thought that by swimming in their school uniforms, the water wouldn't be as cold. Nutcases... water is still freezing here.

Leica ME and CV 21 1.8

May 17, 2014 at 12:52 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.958 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Katie we had snow in some of the suburbs here this AM.

Nice shots....

May 17, 2014 at 01:55 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.958 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Omg, I just bought one.

Congratulations Katie!! I just did the exact same thing....

May 17, 2014 at 04:23 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.958 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

congrats Katie, and love those pool shots: wow!

cc:cedar one little known secret is that the V1 CV 35/1.2 is the superior.

Only reason there is a V2 is that they could no longer source one element in the V1 for a reasonable price, so had to change the design slightly.

Next week will be fun, I will also have my new to me zm 35/2

here's my new favorite accessory:
Hood Hat

May 17, 2014 at 04:37 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.958 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Congratulations Katie!! I just did the exact same thing....

You bought a 50mm lux asph as well? Very nice

May 17, 2014 at 05:13 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.958 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles - best wishes on your wedding today!
Charlie - love the light in the last one! Great colors in all.
Katie & Gary - congrats on the 50 Lux ASPH! BTW, mine is silver. Yes, it's a bit heavy, but feels solid. I'd actually rather have had black to go with my black cameras, but when I bought it used, it was during a time when it was really hard to find any Leica lenses, new or used, so jumped on the silver one when the opportunity presented itself.

Here are a few shots of my aunt with the 50 Lux ASPH at common working distances. I'm actually somewhat surprised I got her in good focus in the vertical image with loose composition and her that far off center...

All were wide open. Some localized tweaks in LR, though tried to keep it modest. No clarity added to better preserve the Lux's rendering. The web rez images have been given the usual sharpening, fwiw... \

100% screen grab without extra sharpening, just the default LR sharpening. I think it's a pretty fair representation of the Lux's wide open rendering/sharpness at this distance. Not bitingly sharp, rather, pleasingly sharp. These were with the M9

The first two are IMO 'ideal' 50 Lux ASPH camera to subject to background distances. Basically, relatively near to the subject with relatively distant backgrounds, without any gradual transition to defocus, such as along the ground. The ground near the subject is out of the frame, which avoids what can sometimes be somewhat nervous rendering, but this is a problem for most lenses. While lots of lenses are good in situations like these here, the Lux ASPH's smoother blur of specular light sources is what I think separates it from most others and probably lends to what is sometimes described as a medium format look. I guess the Otus is quite similar.

Here's a bonus 28 Cron wide open:

100% crop, as above:

Looks like I might have crushed the blacks a bit too much in the last one... And the file quality/character in the bottom left quarter of the 100% crop is an aspect I don't like so much about the M9, though not entirely sure the M240 is better as I haven't tried to compare it. Could also be a side effect of my LR tweaks, as this file was pushed about a stop in post.

Regarding M9 vs. M240 'look'.... I agree there are differences. And that it's not always easy or possible to get the M240 to look M9ish. Bottom line for me is I don't try to make it look like that.

May 17, 2014 at 06:29 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.958 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Uhoh - #4 and #5 are gorgeous!!!!!!!

Adam - I'm leaning toward silver. The lens I like for "looks" the best of the one's I've had was a chrome 28mm ... I like the classic look. It might clash a bit with the ME coloring, but it's not bad...

I've sent a PM for a lux on the B&S forum in silver ... we shall see. It's from July 2013 in like new condition.

You know, you really can't go wrong with either.. I've always bought black Ms and black lenses... But this last round when I bought my second M240 I was seriously considering getting a silver one.. That however, would have tempted me to buy silver lenses, and only certain ones come in silver. To get say a 35FLE or a 28cron or 90APO in silver, you're paying a huge premium. And before anyone says that black lenses look good on a silver body, you're right, they do... Until you decide to toss a coloured skin onto your M, then everything goes out the window. And if I had a Silver M240, the first thing I'd do is replace the skin with a nice british racing green leather. And in my opinion, I'd need silver lenses to rock the look. So to make things far less complicated, I just buy black Henry Ford style.

Good luck with that silver 50ASPH, I'm sure you'll fall in love with the IQ (assuming you get a spot on calibrated copy).

May 17, 2014 at 07:17 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.958 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Both are version I, but perform VERY well. The CV 35 1.2 is one I am not sure about selling, so if you want mine, you better grab it before I change my mind!

Just seen you got the lens, congrats!

If you're on the fence about selling anything, nows the time.. You'll be so occupied with the new lens that you won't use anything else for a good month or so

No difference between the CV versions from what I've used/seen. I think all CV did was change the barrel design.

May 17, 2014 at 07:36 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.958 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
congrats Katie, and love those pool shots: wow!

cc:cedar one little known secret is that the V1 CV 35/1.2 is the superior.

Only reason there is a V2 is that they could no longer source one element in the V1 for a reasonable price, so had to change the design slightly.

Next week will be fun, I will also have my new to me zm 35/2

here's my new favorite accessory:
Hood Hat

That was the rumour for a long while.. Who know's if its true, but why take the risk! Snap up Katie's lens if she's still willing to sell.

May 17, 2014 at 07:38 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.958 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
You bought a 50mm lux asph as well? Very nice

NICE!

May 17, 2014 at 07:39 AM
1       2       3              957      
       959              1024       1025       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell