Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              949      
       951              1024       1025       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.950 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen - #1/3/5 are all awesome. Superb PP. I really like how your whites are at the perfect point yet they aren't obnoxiously bright.
Cal - the ZM18 is looking real good!
Katie - very nice. Which lens?

May 06, 2014 at 03:11 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.950 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

This is something to bring the guys back to reality after pixel peeping Katies pic.

50cron V4

May 06, 2014 at 03:37 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.950 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary for bringing me back to reality!

Now I need to go eat my banana

May 06, 2014 at 04:01 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.950 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, awesome ice set again. Seems to be different than the previous one. Less sparkle and darker blacks. Different PP?

Allen, great set as usual. PP is outstanding too.

Cal, the 1st Jupiter 8 shot has really nice rendering.

Katie, love the backlighting and the colors. Fantastic smile of the model.

Gary, Superb Ourang-Outang shot! Did you shoot it through glass?

May 06, 2014 at 04:26 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.950 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward. Yes, shot through glass at the San Diego Zoo. There is a bit of residual color cast from the glass but I am happy with it. A very impressive animal indeed....

May 06, 2014 at 01:44 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.950 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks everyone. Gary - that is an impressive creature. I used the CV 50 1.5 for this shoot, as I almost always stick with 50mm for inside boudoir shots. Here's another:

May 06, 2014 at 01:52 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.950 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Thanks Edward. Yes, shot through glass at the San Diego Zoo. There is a bit of residual color cast from the glass but I am happy with it. A very impressive animal indeed....

Yes, it is the slight green cast from the glass, but the shot is very clean without reflections. I also thought it is very unlikely you could approach him at this distance without the glass in between.

Katie, very nice framing and colors. It would also work very well in b/w.

May 06, 2014 at 02:37 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.950 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Agree Edward, very nice Katie the entire session looks like a big success. Love the fact you used your way of seeing instead of copying everything else thats already out there. And of course I would agree with the B&W comment LoL....

May 06, 2014 at 02:44 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.950 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Lovely shots on here as always.

Gary - your model could do with a better stylist

May 06, 2014 at 02:46 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.950 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi guys, long time no chat.. I've been traveling a lot shooting, but not editing as I just haven't been home to do it.
Some great images!

Just wanted to say that when I've had the chance, I've looked at all the back posts I've missed and everyone's taking such awesome photos! I'll post some soon, but wow props to everybody on here!

May 06, 2014 at 03:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mitch Alland
• •
p.950 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
...I guess I'm somewhat curious about 35mm again. I really like the 28 Cron but have been ignoring 35mm for a long time now, rarely using my CV35/1.2 II... But there are times I need wider than 50 but 28 is too wide, shows too much w/a distortion, and/or not enough background separation....

Interesting. For street photography, I've been shooting mainly with the Summicron-28, but in January I shot the Chiang Tung Days book project (linked below my signature) almost exlusively with the with the Summicron-35v4, whose rendering I like this was the first time that I've shot with it in color on the M9.

I found something counter-intuitive in shooting in some of the Chiang Tung (Shan State) markets in Burma: there was so much congestion, so many people in narrow paths or walkways, that I quickly found that, by having to shoot closer up with the 28mm (as I usually do), there is so much going on in the frame that the it was difficult to keep track of it all when trying "to make sense of a complex scene," because one has to see things both to the left and the right at the same, and the angle of view to the edges is just wide to make sense of the scene I mean not looking through the viewfinder, but looking at the scene before bringing the camera up to your face. Using the 35mm lens solved all that. Here's on the Summicron 35v4 pictures taken with the M9:

Chiang Tung, Burma

MITCH ALLAND/Potomac, MD
Download links for book project pdf files
Chiang Tung Days
Tristes Tropiques
Bangkok Hysteria
Paris au rythme de Basquiat and Other Poems

May 06, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.950 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Did anyone trade a M9 (M9P) for the Monochrom?

How are your findings? Would you do it again? Is it worth it?

Ever since the introduction I'm curious about the MM. I don't want to give up color but can't afford to keep both M9p and MM. So I kept the M9p.

Now with the A7 as a good and cheap colorbody I picked up the idea of a MM again. Especially since I'm afraid the next Monochrom will have M240 influence....

Since its just a M9p with different sensor I'm very curious how others have experienced the trade. Is it worth it over a M9p, or are the differences small?

May 06, 2014 at 06:00 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.950 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam, welcome back!

Mitch, love this shot! Nice!

Bob, I don't own the MM, but my opinion is that it is for photographers who are dedicated to b/w and only see in shades of grey. If you like shooting color, with some occasional work in b/w, then you're better off with the M9 which as you know, can make some really awesome b/w files.

I personally convert to b/w only when I can't find a suitable color balance

May 06, 2014 at 06:52 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.950 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

May 06, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.950 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Another from La Jolla....

35cron asph

May 07, 2014 at 01:41 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.950 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen, very well spotted. A classic!

Gary, beautiful shot!

May 07, 2014 at 06:58 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.950 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward...

May 07, 2014 at 10:22 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.950 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward.

Anyone here have experience with the Panasonic Leica glass. I've always thought of it as a Leica in name only, but a friend of mine who shoots with a M240 said that he's pretty impressed with it (he bought a setup for his wife).
I'm just curious because he also said that the new (not yet released?) GH4 is the best AF system (including DSLR cameras). I'm totally not getting one, but just wanted to hear what other LEICA people had to say about the lenses, since my friend's raving about it and the AF system seems pretty impressive.

The few images I seen on flickr were alright, but the small sensor has me thinking it's not worth exploring further.

May 07, 2014 at 11:03 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.950 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam, I can only offer an anecdotal perspective based on the reviews I've followed by others immersed in m43. My impression is that there is some really nice glass from Olympus and Panasonic, and that certain of the Panasonic Leica lenses, such as the 25/1.4 and the recent Nocticron, share some Summilux-M rendering characteristics.

I've contemplated the merits of adding a m43 system... but currently don't see how it will give me anything more than what I get with my current gear, other than more money in my wallet. Mind you, I'm shooting with a Canon 1DX and Leica M. The Canon gives me top of the line AF for sports/action, which I believe is still a shortcoming of mirrorless, despite manufacturer marketing claims to the contrary... Maybe the performance is getting closer, but there is still something lacking, IMO, when it comes to high speed, erratic subject tracking, as well as decent telephoto options. On the other hand, Leica M offers me amazing glass in a very compact form. And both of my kits facilitate the 'full frame look' when I want it. Size-wise, some of the better performing m43 cameras aren't all that much smaller than mainstream DSLRs. Add an f/0.95 m43 prime in order to get the look of an f/2 lens on full frame, and those lenses aren't exactly small. In fact, probably larger than an M with 50/2. I too have been curious about the GH4 and if I was to get into m43, was leaning towards the GX7... but looking at it on the camera size website, it's very similar to a Leica M and the lenses aren't any smaller. It leaves me wondering why I'm even considering this...

What has probably held me back the most is small sensor image quality. I think it's generally fine, especially at lower ISOs. But from the full-rez files I've looked at, they've reminded me too much of file quality I got from my LX3 P&S camera's RAW files, or those from the 1" sensor in the Sony RX10 I demoed for about a month earlier this year. It's something about the noise/grain structure that starts to feel coarse and fragile - something I don't see with APS-C, APS-H or full frame. That said, I've seen some nice ~20" prints from m43 by a master printer that were indistinguishable from other formats in a portfolio that included FF and Pentax 645D... though the m43 images were shot with a telephoto and weren't of extremely detailed subject matter, such as a forest landscape scene.

If I was getting into photography now, without any prior experience, I would probably be tempted by m43 due to the cost of entry and the relatively extensive system options compared to some APS-C mirrorless options. And I believe your friend has reason to be excited about some of the Panasonic Leica lenses. As someone immersed and invested in Leica M, however, I don't believe m43 offers anything more in terms of that difficult to describe organic lens rendering quality we all seem like so much about Leica M with M, ZM, CV lenses, etc.

May 07, 2014 at 02:11 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.950 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Love it Gary!

But first; Let me take a selfie...

May 07, 2014 at 02:25 PM
       951              1024       1025       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell