FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              945      
       947              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

RickPerry
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.946 #1 · p.946 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Recently acquired Leica X Vario. Lens is slow, but IQ is high. Just learning how to use it effectively.

Jun 24, 2014 at 07:38 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.946 #2 · p.946 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Adam, interesting to read your thoughts about the M240 and weddings. Just did another wedding on Saturday and decided to also bring along the M9 so as not to have to change lenses as often. I didn't enjoy it... For me at least, there is such a massive operational difference between the two. The M240 felt sharp and immediate... the M9 felt soggy. I also think the M240 higher ISO files look good. I don't mind the luminance noise and agree it's competitive with the 1DX. So far I haven't really pushed the M240 much beyond ISO 1600, but have
...Show more

Ron, I'm writing up a mini-review, it'll take a bit of time. I agree with you, I couldn't switch back and forth simultaneously (M9/M240) without great aggravation. So I'll just look ahead to see what Leica comes out with next.

I had one black frame, and I have a few grievances with Leica right now, after owning three bodies, it seems something is almost always wrong with one of them.. So many issues that it's really hard to keep track, but here are a few new ones I haven't mentioned.

On the newest body, I think they've shaved down the top plate to be slightly thinner, or have switched metal composition. It seems a touch more flimsy (I'll weigh the cameras when I get back). They have definitely updated the spray on coating of black colour, it's a completely different texture. I had them replace 1 to 1, my new camera that I told you all about. It was replaced with a new camera that had a slightly more blue LCD, but still not anywhere near accurate like the other two cameras I own. The new camera sometimes says the card is full, and I have to pop out the battery and pop it back in or else the camera won't fire (card isn't full, but when it says that I get scared and switch cards, I have tons of SD cards so no big deal). Also the new camera wastes battery faster (not by much 20% and yes I kept track of the batteries, but this was really unscientific on my part and warrants future testing). I think this is in part due to the LCD screen, it's also a lot darker and has to be turned up one notch on brightness to match the other older 2 camera screens.. And again, you really cannot use the new LCD screen to judge exposure (not a huge deal, colour annoys me more).

My first camera, the LCD screen is chipping the anti-glare coating right off, and it looks as if I've rubbed it against something over and over, and maybe that's the case, but if I DID rub it, it was on a pima Cotton t-shirt, or cashmere sweater, as that's all I wear while on vacation to keep things simple and it only started to get like this after my trip (have a bunch of black and white shirts and black and grey solid sweaters, I'm boring). Anyway, bottom line, I use these shirts/sweaters to clean my lenses/filters, so surely the LCD screen has a similarly tough anti-glare coating that wouldn't rub off??

Honestly just tired of the little small things about Leica that go wrong, but I really do like the IQ and the way it makes me shoot a wedding slightly different from how I'd usually shoot. Again will mention my thoughts in a fuller summary of events.

BTW - I like shots #1,3 and "catching the rays of the day".

Gary - Nice images, I've actually had that happen to me before also, I didn't know digital rot was a thing, but I think in your case it has less to do with the sensor and more to do with the way the file was written. Try loading from the memory card again, but on a different computer perhaps? Might help, as it helped me before.

Jun 24, 2014 at 09:49 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.946 #3 · p.946 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I'm half way through my vacations and for the first time since I bought the M240 I took along my trusty Sekonic light meter. I'm quite surprised to realize the camera is missing the exposure almost 100% of the time. It overexposes about 90% of the time, sometimes by up to 2 stops. The rest of the time it underexposes. I have decided to rely on manual exposure and incident light readings but it's killing spontaneity quite a bit. I think the M240 sensor really likes correct exposure. Overexposed highlights cannot be recovered and underexposed shadows get a green cast, so it's really important to nail the right exposure whenever possible.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.946 #4 · p.946 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Interesting Edward. What metering mode do you typically use with the M240?

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.946 #5 · p.946 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Interesting Edward. What metering mode do you typically use with the M240?

Classic mode. I find the multi segment mode to be better but the camera has to go into LV mode so I don't use it. I think the M9 metering was more accurate but IMO Leica engineers decided that CMOS sensors prefer overexposure, which is true, but not Leica CMOS. They blow out so easily with no recoverable detail.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.946 #6 · p.946 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Peter - yes, it could be a romantic spot, but we were up there late in the morning and had our lunch, along with several other couples. On the way down we passed many more going up. Would probably be nice and peaceful up there early in the morning before anyone else is out...

Adam, interesting thoughts and observations. Certainly some that I wouldn't notice being the owner of only one M240. I look forward to your write up. I should also update my M240 rolling review on my blog... just haven't gotten around to it.

neopan wrote:
Gary, fantastic landscape photos. Especially the one of the bear.
Ron, the photos from Killarney Provincial Park are great. Is the 21SEM your preferred 21 on the ones you have used on your M and M9?

At one time I owned four 21mm lenses: SEM, Lux, ZM21/2.8 (and have tested the 21/4.5) and CV21/1.8.

The SEM is what I would consider a great 'point and shoot' lens without the derogatory connotation of point and shoot. It's the one with the least optical compromises and therefore can be used casually without worry about any potential side effects of such compromises. I use it for walk around type stuff and where I want faithful, sharp documentation of what I'm photographing. It's also relatively small and light... and inexpensive for a Leica. It combines high micro contrast with a rendering style that blends Zeiss punch and Leica richness.

I use the Lux a lot for people photography, such as weddings and events, in part because many aspects of such candid photography take place inside with relatively poor light quality where f/1.4 is handy. But I also like it for wide open outdoor people photography because it's less clinical than the SEM and the subject/background separation possible with f/1.4 at 21mm is something one doesn't normally see and is not achievable from any DSLR system. It has a certain pleasant smoothness due to a degree of residual SA. Its weaknesses include a wavy plane of focus that makes it difficult to accurately place subjects off center (rule of thirds) and achieve critical focus unless well stopped down, it has strong CA (which can be fixed in post) and tends to purple fringe with strong backlighting. I'm impressed by how well it retains good contrast in strong backlighting (i.e. subject against a window) where a lens like my Canon 16-35 will flare a lot more (OK, unfair maybe to compare a zoom vs. a prime). Side note, it was frustrations with the Canon 16-35 that got me exploring M mount wide angles...

The ZM21/2.8 is a very close rival to the SEM once stopped down past f/5.6. Wide open it has noticeable field curvature, so if shooting planar subjects, the edges will go soft. It has the Zeiss look and zero CA. I rarely use it now and maybe should sell it, but I've slightly marred the front element, so will probably just keep it as a backup.

The CV21/1.8 is the only one of the four I've sold, but not because it wasn't any good. If it existed a few years ago, I probably would have bought it first and never got the Lux or ZM (not sure about the SEM though). It's an excellent 'compromise' lens that does 85% of what the other three above offer. It's similar in look and low light effectiveness to the Lux and as sharp as the SEM and ZM past f/4-5.6. The compromise is its size and fairly strong purple fringing at wider apertures combined with a somewhat less punchy rendering compared to the ZM and SEM...

edwardkaraa wrote:
I'm half way through my vacations and for the first time since I bought the M240 I took along my trusty Sekonic light meter. I'm quite surprised to realize the camera is missing the exposure almost 100% of the time. It overexposes about 90% of the time, sometimes by up to 2 stops. The rest of the time it underexposes. I have decided to rely on manual exposure and incident light readings but it's killing spontaneity quite a bit. I think the M240 sensor really likes correct exposure. Overexposed highlights cannot be recovered and underexposed shadows get a green cast,
...Show more

My casual experience is that each digital camera has its own correct exposure for a given ISO. Back ~10 years ago I used to bring along my Sekonic, especially for setting up strobed shoots, but found I was usually fighting it and have since settled on judging exposure from the histogram.

For outdoor work in full sun, I go by the sunny f/16 rule and it's in the ball park. On the M240 that's roughly 1/350 f/11, 1/750 f/8, etc., though I find I can overexpose it from this another stop without too much compromise unless there are clouds in the sky near the sun. For other situations I just take a shot on aperture priority and see how the histogram looks, then set the camera to manual and adjust accordingly.

Highlight recovery is not in the Sony sensor upper echelon, but it's better than the M9... I'll shoot it hotter than the M9 to avoid pushing the shadows as much to avoid the inevitable green shift, though at ISO 200 it takes a bit of shadow lifting for that to become noticeable.

Sorry - lots of words and no pictures!

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.946 #7 · p.946 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Neopan - I like the last shot from your series
Rick - I am drawn to the red/yellow contrast of your 2nd shot

A few from my trip yesterday

Started at Big Springs Provincial Park ZM 35/2

Next Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park
50 Lux

Infrared ZM 35/2

Last Kananaskis Provincial Park Elbow Valley To see what it looked like a year after the flood

Lux 50

ZM 35/2

Lux 50
Appropriately the sign that described a beaver den long since gone, now has a huge monstrous den that was built last year likely just after the flood.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.946 #8 · p.946 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I got a little carried away with the mountain shots this outing.... Hope I am not boring anyone.

90cron pre-AA

50lux ASPH

ZM18

Jun 24, 2014 at 09:56 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.946 #9 · p.946 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

No Gary not boring keep sharing! I live in the desert, so these are marvelous!

Phil

Jun 24, 2014 at 09:58 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.946 #10 · p.946 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ditto. Not a mountain to be found here either...

jojomon11 wrote:
No Gary not boring keep sharing! I live in the desert, so these are marvelous!

Phil

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jojomon11
• • • • •
p.946 #11 · p.946 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Agree w/Katie, the only mountain near me is the one below my chest

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.946 #12 · p.946 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Agree w/Katie, the only mountain near me is the one below my chest

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:55 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.946 #13 · p.946 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
I got a little carried away with the mountain shots this outing.... Hope I am not boring anyone.

I can feel myself being pulled west a little at a time. Elbow Valley yesterday, Next Kananaskis then Banff-Jasper. Resistance is futile. Keep them coming Gary.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:53 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.946 #14 · p.946 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Ditto. Not a mountain to be found here either...

Head a little north. I've been there. May not be as tall as the Rockies but the Guadalupe Mountains are an interesting site. At least they were when I was there.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Philip Cuenco
• •
p.946 #15 · p.946 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

2nd post here in 6 years.
Never knew there was this hidden little Leica section!
This is where you all hang out!!!
nice
Hello all. I'm Phil.

M-Monochrom - 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.946 #16 · p.946 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Philip Cuenco wrote:
2nd post here in 6 years.
Never knew there was this hidden little Leica section!
This is where you all hang out!!!
nice
Hello all. I'm Phil.

M-Monochrom - 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux

Hi Phil welcome aboard.

Nice shot even though the boat is anchored, the waves give it a sense of movement, The young lady had better get out of the way. Nice effect.

Jun 25, 2014 at 08:46 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.946 #17 · p.946 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary totally agree with Katie and Phil. Wonderful images and I love the mountains and you capture them perfectly. Your landscapes are wonderful. I especially like the last one in hte last set.

Welcome Phillip This is my favorite thread at FM. All the photographers that post here, including you, are so inspiring. It's a real joy to just come here and view all of these wonderful photographs of such an incredible variety and all in the same place.

Jun 25, 2014 at 09:59 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.946 #18 · p.946 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary, love #2 in last section
great shots everyone!!
burningheart, really liked your last set too

image by unoh7, on Flickr

handheld (all shots here are handheld) f/6.7 @ 250:

L1015351 by unoh7, 135 APO

f/8 @ 350:

L1015133 by unoh7, 135/APO

L1015290 by unoh7, 135 f/5.7 @1000

L1015155 by unoh7, 135 f/16 @125

L1015297 by unoh7, f/5.7 @1500

L1015139 by unoh7, f/11 @ 250

As the last shot shows, even f/11 does get you much DOF close in.

Certainly it's the most difficult lens to use I own. Obviously, I have not fully perfected my technique. But, considering this set is handheld, I'm optimistic. I'm just leaving the lens uncoded for now, as ID is not an issue, and I don't think the codes are helping much at 135, eh?

Shake is an added variable, as I figure out the focus and what stops do what.

What's the lightest tripod which could hold this rig, you guys think?

My current small one is 773 grams.

This one has alot of fans and is dirt cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPod-Lightweight-Camera-Tripod/dp/B000ANCPNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403725443&sr=1-1&keywords=ultrapod

Edited on Jun 25, 2014 at 02:47 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2014 at 02:08 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.946 #19 · p.946 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Texas is a BIG state. Guadalupe mountains are as far from me as new Mexico practically. I live in grassy Plains, halfway between the ocean and the rocky Hill country. (an hour from Houston and Austin - - Austin is my hometown)

burningheart wrote:
Head a little north. I've been there. May not be as tall as the Rockies but the Guadalupe Mountains are an interesting site. At least they were when I was there.

Jun 25, 2014 at 02:26 PM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.946 #20 · p.946 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Salgado's Genesis exhibition is in Stockholm!!!

Jun 25, 2014 at 02:46 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.