FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              931      
       933              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Tobin28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.932 #1 · p.932 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, awesome shots! Glad to see that 50 Lux being used!

Tobin

Jun 05, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.932 #2 · p.932 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Tobin! So far, so good....

Jun 05, 2014 at 02:02 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.932 #3 · p.932 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I have always read M9 files take a LOT of editing to get the best out of them. I'm just wondering, is this mostly regarding colour? What if you are a 90% B&W shooter - can you simply make your own custom action to get you most of the way there? Thanks!

Jun 05, 2014 at 02:27 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.932 #4 · p.932 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
I have always read M9 files take a LOT of editing to get the best out of them. I'm just wondering, is this mostly regarding colour? What if you are a 90% B&W shooter - can you simply make your own custom action to get you most of the way there? Thanks!

It's actually quite the opposite. I rarely PPed my M9 files beyond WB, and some minor exposure and contrast adjustments. B/W is very straightforward, just desturating in ACR was enough for me. It's the CMOS sensor of the M240 that requires more work because of the flat files.

Jun 05, 2014 at 02:36 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.932 #5 · p.932 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Oh, well that's rather confusing Edward . I've read, I thought even from yourself in the past, that the M9 files are more difficult to process, to say a conventional DSLR. Maybe I am crossing things over... or maybe that some M9 users find it challenging initially, because of previously being mostly film users still?

I would definitely be doing a channel adjustment rather than desaturating, but to hear that it's not difficult to encouraging. Not something I like to spend time on. Is there anywhere I can download real M9 DNG files to test myself?

Jun 05, 2014 at 02:51 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.932 #6 · p.932 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I would guess that M9 files require a similar amount of time in PP when compared to most all other camera's. It also would depend on the type of output you are after as well... If you prefer the overall look of M8/M9 files, you will spend less time in PP. If you prefer the look of Fuji S5 files, you will spend much more time in PP...

Jun 05, 2014 at 02:57 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.932 #7 · p.932 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Maybe in the beginning, I had some trouble adjusting to the M9 unique color palette, but after a short while, I realized the CCD files didn't require much PP but it's important to find a pleasant white balance, because the correct white balance is most often not the most pleasant one. I believe you can download test files at imaging resource website if the files are still available.

Jun 05, 2014 at 02:59 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.932 #8 · p.932 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Right, that's quite helpful guys, appreciate it. I think once I've updated my regular SLRs I'll see what I have left, and should be able to pick up an m9 second hand. I feel like it could be a good fit, and certainly worth at least trying... otherwise I'll never know any better.

Jun 05, 2014 at 03:04 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.932 #9 · p.932 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ricardovaste - Rangefinders are like Durians, you either love em, or hate em (Durians are fruit that cost a lot of money and smell really really bad.. They're an acquired taste). Are you more confused now

Jun 05, 2014 at 03:26 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.932 #10 · p.932 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

No, I do follow Adam, they're commonly called the "corpse fruit" or something to that effect, aren't they?

I have used a small film RF camera for years as a personal camera. Stopped using it around a year ago, in favour of the RX1. But I've been reflecting recently and just haven't enjoyed using it so much, despite it being technically very capable. The M9, although damn old now, might fit quite well. Maybe. Who knows...

The files on imaging resource look very good, but they're all ISO160. Would be good to have some ISO800 and 1600 DNG files.

Jun 05, 2014 at 03:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.932 #11 · p.932 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Ricardovaste - Rangefinders are like Durians, you either love em, or hate em (Durians are fruit that cost a lot of money and smell really really bad.. They're an acquired taste). Are you more confused now

It's impossible not to love Durians! They're heavenly!

I think people invariably hate them at the beginning because of the obnoxious smell, but the ones who persevere end up loving them. Rangefinders are the same, fully agreed Adam

Jun 05, 2014 at 03:44 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.932 #12 · p.932 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

The real question here is WTH have you guys done to your RF's to make them smell like that? And how much does it cost?

Jun 05, 2014 at 03:47 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.932 #13 · p.932 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

mmm... Durian. It is an aquired tast but I really grew to love it whilst living in Asia.... Wait a minute - weren't we talking about cameras or something?

Jun 05, 2014 at 03:51 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.932 #14 · p.932 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
A few from camping last weekend. The sky was awesome just before a big storm rolled in....

Vey nice Gary. To think only 4 weeks earlier while you were enjoying the snowstorm in Calgary (May 3) I was driving out there to run in my annual 10km race. Luckily there was no snow and the weather stayed decent and I was able to go hiking and photographing afterwards though I didn't have my Monochrom then and they didn't let us run in the restricted area this year instead we did the loop road and Cottonwood Trail twice. Next year we should be back in the restricted area.

I just love shots from there. Anymore to share Gary?

Jun 05, 2014 at 05:11 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.932 #15 · p.932 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Motorcycle with 28 Summicron

Jun 05, 2014 at 07:28 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.932 #16 · p.932 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

burningheart wrote:
Vey nice Gary. To think only 4 weeks earlier while you were enjoying the snowstorm in Calgary (May 3) I was driving out there to run in my annual 10km race. Luckily there was no snow and the weather stayed decent and I was able to go hiking and photographing afterwards though I didn't have my Monochrom then and they didn't let us run in the restricted area this year instead we did the loop road and Cottonwood Trail twice. Next year we should be back in the restricted area.

I just love shots from there. Anymore to share Gary?
...Show more

Thanks Robert. Yes, we love the badlands and usually camp there early in the season before it becomes too busy. My wife used to be a park interpreter there a loooong time ago so we can get into the restricted areas no problem. I will see if I have anything else to post later....

Jun 05, 2014 at 07:31 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.932 #17 · p.932 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Joakim - love the darker processing with this pic. It really suits the bike...

Jun 05, 2014 at 07:32 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.932 #18 · p.932 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward: Je pense qu'il est beaucoup plus difficile que l'espagnol

Adam: While I don't have a hookup for Hermes, I do have an insider for Christian Louboutin shoes... I currently carry and Etro bag and a Lamberston Truex bag (not that anybody notices that stuff out here in the boonies...) For the Birkin, you almost need an insider. I would be very weary of fakes with the scarce availability of that bag.

Jun 05, 2014 at 10:21 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.932 #19 · p.932 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Thanks Robert. Yes, we love the badlands and usually camp there early in the season before it becomes too busy. My wife used to be a park interpreter there a loooong time ago so we can get into the restricted areas no problem. I will see if I have anything else to post later....

I have been running the annual race for 7 years now. My Dad worked there in 1973 and as kids we spent the summer there. It is a small world after all.

Jun 05, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.932 #20 · p.932 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

A few more from a recent hike....

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

ZM18

ZM18

Jun 06, 2014 at 01:00 AM