adamdewilde
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.930 #1 · p.930 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

atwl77 wrote:
Now you've piqued my interest.

I went to check out its specs:
http://www.nissindigital.com/i40.html

I really like their full manual control dials, as well as the ability to use as optical slave.

At a guess, I'd say at least a Canon or Nikon mount should work on the M240 in full manual mode; TTL is definitely out of the question here. Though it would be better if an owner could confirm manual operation.

Currently I use Metz 20 C-2, 36 C-2, and sometimes a Canon 600EX-RT but for full manual operation, this Nissin seems to be the most convenient to operate.

Yes, but they don't only serve Canon and Nikon, isn't there a M4/3s one, wouldn't that be panasonic, thus Leica? As theres a Metz flash that works with panasonic/leica. Anyway, I'm sure full manual mode would work.

Jun 04, 2014 at 04:49 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.930 #2 · p.930 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron - Nice party shots, both sets.

Tobin - Neat carnival set!

uhoh7 - Nice mood to those landscapes, looks like it was on the verge of a downpour all day. There is an orb in the 28cron shot. I forget, are you using the M9 or are you using the M240?

kape06111 - Love how in each shot theres another random guy in the background doing something typical to the scene you're shooting. Also don't you love the 28 Elmarit-asph, it's so small, I'm tempted to buy it again!

Jun 04, 2014 at 04:55 AM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.930 #3 · p.930 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Some shots from a quick trip to Montreal on the weekend. All with the M and 50 Summilux ASPH.

Jun 04, 2014 at 05:13 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.930 #4 · p.930 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

And a few more, playing around with B&W conversions - Also M and 50 Summilux ASPH.

Jun 04, 2014 at 05:15 AM
atwl77
• •
p.930 #5 · p.930 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Yes, but they don't only serve Canon and Nikon, isn't there a M4/3s one, wouldn't that be panasonic, thus Leica? As theres a Metz flash that works with panasonic/leica. Anyway, I'm sure full manual mode would work.

The m4/3 panaleica flashes are not the same as Leica M/X/T mount, even the pin layouts are different so you won't get TTL from them.

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:00 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.930 #6 · p.930 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
I have a question regarding MTF if anyone cares to shed some light on the difference between sagittal and tangential measurements. I had the impression that sagittal graphs were directly related to the lens sharpness and resolving power while the tangential graphs were mostly relevant in determining lens aberrations such as CA or the lens rendering of OOF detail especially the way the the tangential graphs diverge from the sagittal ones. Am I correct and what is the true story here?

no, they are both measures of contrast between line pairs. sagittal measures it between lines radiating out from the center of the image circle and tangential measures between lines perpendicular to the saggital lines.

toothwalker does a good job explaining in his astigmatism section: http://toothwalker.org/optics/astigmatism.html

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:18 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.930 #7 · p.930 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Tobin - interesting set!
Cal - great colors and the B&W of the car for a moment had me thinking Cuba...

edwardkaraa wrote:
Very nice photos Charlie, Ron, Kape, Tobin! Great work!

I have a question regarding MTF if anyone cares to shed some light on the difference between sagittal and tangential measurements. I had the impression that sagittal graphs were directly related to the lens sharpness and resolving power while the tangential graphs were mostly relevant in determining lens aberrations such as CA or the lens rendering of OOF detail especially the way the the tangential graphs diverge from the sagittal ones. Am I correct and what is the true story here?

Edward, there was a detailed paper about reading MTF curves by Nasse of Zeiss, but I can't find it on the Zeiss site, so I've uploaded my copy, which you can access here (PDF).

He gets into sagittal vs. tangential on page 19.

The way I see it is as follows:

Sagittal values represent the ability to resolve lines that radiate from the center of the frame while tangential values represent lines at 90 degrees to sagittal lines at a given point in the image. If you were to have a small square object at some point in the image, whereby its edges aligned with the sagittal and tangential orientations, and both the sagittal and tangential MTF values were very similar at that point, you'd have an accurate representation of that square, with equal sharpness/contrast on all sides. If the sagittal and tangential values were significantly different, then the edges of the square that align with the higher MTF values would appear sharper/higher contrast than the sides that align with the lower MTF values, which would appear somewhat softer and lower in contrast.

This is probably an over simplification, but is how I visualize it.

As for OOF rendering... Nasse states on pg. 33:

"MTF only makes statements about the focal plane or its immediate surroundings. And in that case, a circular point spread function is indeed an advantage, because it reproduces small details in a way which is as faithful to the original as possible, with the best trueness of shape. This is important for the legibility of writing, for example.

It is not possible to use MTF data to draw conclusions about the brightness distribution of the strongly defocused point spreads, however. There are lenses with nicely parallel tangential and sagittal MTF curves but which are spherically strongly overcorrected. This correction state causes annular defocused point spread functions, which are visible as rim-lights and as pairs of lines and produce a restless-looking background.
This unpleasant characteristic cannot be deduced from the MTF data."

Edit: the link Derek posted is a really nice example with the spoked wheel illustration!

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:24 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.930 #8 · p.930 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

more good stuff up there

TY so much for kind words, here a few more from the same shoot.

L1013527 by unoh7, on Flickr
zm 35/2 f/8

L1013699 by unoh7, on Flickr
28 cron f/8

L1013577 by unoh7, on Flickr
zm35/2 f/8

L1013629 by unoh7, on Flickr
zm 35/2 f/8

L1013652 by unoh7, on Flickr
SEM 21 f/6.7

L1013704 by unoh7, on Flickr
cron28 f/6.7

28 cron "orb" shot last set, I was shooting just barley under the sun. Sometimes you get lucky with the flare and the shot might still work. I found a little metal vented hood, screw in, compact:

image by unoh7, on Flickr

So far it seems ok, and ergos are great. It takes a 58 cap.

Edited on Jun 04, 2014 at 06:43 AM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:30 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.930 #9 · p.930 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Some random party shots....

M240 & 21 Lux except first and second last with the CV35/1.2 II

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:37 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.930 #10 · p.930 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
What about S? We've had a couple occasional contributors...

Arrgh, I knew I missed one. Maybe we should make it simple an just name it Leica A-Z image thread

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.930 #11 · p.930 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

uhoh7 - The reason I ask is, I've not noticed this happen as much on a M9 as I have on my M240. Also the M240 tends to really deminish the "special" qualities of the 28cron (well what I consider special). Anyway, I'm trying to formulate a theory about sensor reflectiveness. I think I need to buy an M9

BTW, so my spare M240 was acting really weird this morning with one of my lenses, and I thought something happened to my lens, and I just put on another lens and realized that WOW it's the camera that went out of alignment. So now both my M240s are slightly out, and I have a wedding to shoot in 5 days which I will be using the M240 for, CRAP.

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:17 AM
kape06111

p.930 #12 · p.930 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice shots here. I really like the lux 21.

One more with the 28 elamrit + m240.

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:30 AM
atwl77
• •
p.930 #13 · p.930 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
BTW, so my spare M240 was acting really weird this morning with one of my lenses, and I thought something happened to my lens, and I just put on another lens and realized that WOW it's the camera that went out of alignment. So now both my M240s are slightly out, and I have a wedding to shoot in 5 days which I will be using the M240 for, CRAP.

On the topic of alignment... I read that the RF mechanism is more likely to drift if you change lenses often.

I wonder if lens changing techniques can affect this?

When I change lenses, I always make sure to set the current lens and the new lens to minimum focusing distance first. This pushes the whatever-its-called-thingy-that-pushes-the-RF-thingy into the lens.

Then I unmount the current lens, and slowly mount the new lens. While turning the lens clockwise to lock the new lens in place, I also slowly turn the focusing ring/tab towards infinity. This sort of gently/smoothly eases the RF thingy rather than being pushed during the lens mounting process.

Jun 04, 2014 at 12:38 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.930 #14 · p.930 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I think there is no need to take so many precautions. It is enough to mount the lens softly without bumping the roller thingy inside the mount. Bumping this roller too often will cause the misalignment.

Jun 04, 2014 at 02:23 PM
Tobin28
• • •
p.930 #15 · p.930 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
uhoh7 - The reason I ask is, I've not noticed this happen as much on a M9 as I have on my M240. Also the M240 tends to really deminish the "special" qualities of the 28cron (well what I consider special). Anyway, I'm trying to formulate a theory about sensor reflectiveness. I think I need to buy an M9

BTW, so my spare M240 was acting really weird this morning with one of my lenses, and I thought something happened to my lens, and I just put on another lens and realized that WOW it's the camera that went out
...Show more

Thanks for this post! I have had upgrade fever for the M240 for the last couple of months hard but I have started to hear numerous posts like yours as well as some online friends experiencing the same thing. I have a M9 that is aligned perfectly with my 35 Lux FLE and I think I am just going to shoot it till it doesn't work anymore. The only real limitations I face with it is myself. I need to work better compositions, look for better light, shoot more and concentrate on just making better photographs. Not worrying about being able to shoot at 6400. I also find that there is a certain look to the M9 and the Lux. The rendering and sharpness melt my heart when I see the pictures in lightroom and make prints. The key now is to focus on improving my photography.
Rock that wedding and I hope you can compensate as best you can for it. Good luck my leica brother!

Cheers,
Tobin

Jun 04, 2014 at 03:21 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.930 #16 · p.930 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

My feelings EXACTLY

Tobin28 wrote:
Thanks for this post! I have had upgrade fever for the M240 for the last couple of months hard but I have started to hear numerous posts like yours as well as some online friends experiencing the same thing. I have a M9 that is aligned perfectly with my 35 Lux FLE and I think I am just going to shoot it till it doesn't work anymore. The only real limitations I face with it is myself. I need to work better compositions, look for better light, shoot more and concentrate on just making better photographs. Not worrying about being
...Show more

Jun 04, 2014 at 03:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.930 #17 · p.930 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charlie - another good set and nice find with the screw in metal hood. Saves having to try to find and justify spending ~$500 for the difficult to find special metal one from Leica that also works with the 35 Lux (can't remember the model number).
kape - great tones! The 21 Lux is a special lens, but one with some quirks too.

atwl77 wrote:
On the topic of alignment... I read that the RF mechanism is more likely to drift if you change lenses often.

I wonder if lens changing techniques can affect this?

When I change lenses, I always make sure to set the current lens and the new lens to minimum focusing distance first. This pushes the whatever-its-called-thingy-that-pushes-the-RF-thingy into the lens.

Then I unmount the current lens, and slowly mount the new lens. While turning the lens clockwise to lock the new lens in place, I also slowly turn the focusing ring/tab towards infinity. This sort of gently/smoothly eases the RF thingy rather than being
...Show more

I've read similar. The minimum focusing distance method was suggested in this thread around a couple years ago and not sure where he got the info from originally.

There is logic to it, as any mechanical device will wear with use and tolerances will loosen.

As far as my M9 is concerned, I've shot over 100,000 frames with it and frequently changed lenses. While its rangefinder is not perfectly matched with my collection of lenses, it hasn't drifted noticeably since the last time Leica looked at it over two years ago. There may be other variables at play too. Weather/temperature could be one and is something I've speculated about in the past, having experienced the 'focus correction offset' I apply on the fly for my 50 Lux ASPH change with the seasons. Its mis-focus was typically worse in the summer than in the winter. Was it the camera or the lens? I'm not sure, as it's the only lens I regularly use where wide open focus is very dependent on the rangefinder.

So far I've had too little time with the M240 to determine whether there's anything strange going on with its rangefinder. My problems with it have been more related to lock ups.

Regarding M9 vs. M240.... image quality alone isn't enough of a difference to justify an upgrade, IMO, unless you regularly shoot at higher ISOs and want a somewhat cleaner file. ISO 800-1000 is pretty much on par with current DSLR options and colors are a bit easier to tweak in mixed lighting than the M9.

M240 & 21 Lux

Jun 04, 2014 at 04:00 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.930 #18 · p.930 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice shots everyone keep it up. I hit a busy stretch and not much time for posting but still check your shots every few days. I am also taking a Photography History course and usually go around campus before and after class taking some Monochrom shots. Last night someone finally recognized I was shooting a Leica. We talked for a short bit he has an M8 and just purchased a Voigtlander 12mm but hasn't had a chance to use it. He is also looking at getting the Monochrom.

Tobin your carnival shots has given me the idea I should go to the Calgary Stampede grounds with my Monochrom and take some shots.

Jun 04, 2014 at 04:42 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.930 #19 · p.930 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Tobin - Haha, thanks, I'll try!

Ron - Awesome 21lux shots BTW.

As for the talk about putting your lens to min focusing distance before mounting and unmounting, and also keeping your lens at min focusing distance when its mounted onto the Leica might have been a "rumour" I spread. I wouldn't so much call it a rumour and here's why. I was talking to a man who's repaired Leica's for Leica for 20 years and one day I was unmounting a lens so he could clean my sensor and he told me that I was doing it wrong, he proceeded to tell me how to not "shock" the spring and showed me the way I mentioned above. It made sense to me, so I've done it that way ever since. (Edit: and I've also mentioned it on several forums a few years ago, pre-M9P, I don't remember if we talked about it on this forum though).

Now as far as changing lenses, I don't really do it that often. In fact, I bought two M240s so I wouldn't have to. It just so happens that since I have an upcoming wedding, I needed to put the 75 and 35 onto the cameras. Strange thing is, I've had them on since I got back from HK without mounting or dismounting, and the problem just popped up out of the blue.

I'm wondering why Leica hasn't updated the rangefinder mechanism to be more hardy. They managed to get it more accurate, and make it easier to focus, why not just make it more hardy? That or, and this is going to sound like blasphemy, but maybe they should just have a laser sensor that senses the helicoid fin, and just superimposes a square based on that. No more actual mechanism, no more calibration. Would make the camera lighter and smaller as well, I'm sure. And it's not like I'm talking about sci-fi technology. Anyway, never mind

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:34 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.930 #20 · p.930 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:

BTW, so my spare M240 was acting really weird this morning with one of my lenses, and I thought something happened to my lens, and I just put on another lens and realized that WOW it's the camera that went out
...Show more

I heard that the 28 and also the 50 lux are not as arresting on the M240. But others say it's how you PP.

28 cron is useful at all apertures, really. I love f/8 for landscaping Anyway, how it got a rep for flare resistance I'm not sure. My copy needs a hood if the sun is near--any direct sun on the lens.

L1013201 by unoh7, on Flickr
28 cron f/3.4
that one is no hood or the leica one, which is not very tough.

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:49 PM
1       2       3              929      
       931              1380       1381       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              929      
       931              1380       1381       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password