Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              925      
       927              1023       1024       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.926 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary. That's definitely a great scene. The sunrise you posted earlier was spectacular and I imagine would have worked well with this framing too.
Allen - great set. Street is still something of a struggle for me...
Edward - yes, somewhat disturbing, but real life, nonetheless. I recall seeing similar during travel to Taiwan, and elsewhere too. Another reminder of how fortunate we are with our camera related 'problems.'

Peter - well, I use a synthetic material bag, so likely not of interest. It's the smallest of the CourierWare satchels with slightly customized internal pocket configuration. In it I can carry the M with 28 mounted, plus three additional lenses, each in one of the unpadded pockets. I add small Domke pouches, one on each side, if I need to carry more, like spare batteries and another lens or two. I like this style because it's unstructured and minimally padded, meaning it sticks to my side. My guess is a Billingham will fit in nicely with the Munich street scene, especially if you're often wandering around the Residenz area.

The only potential drawback about the CourierWare is that the compartment is not fully sealed from external elements, so while I was out shooting during Wednesday's blizzard, a small amount of snow eventually did blow inside. But by this time the bag and its contents were well below freezing and the snow didn't melt, meaning it was easy to remove from lens surfaces, etc.

What was worse was that it was difficult to change lenses in these conditions. I think at times it must have been blowing over 50km/h. As a result I experienced something new and 'interesting' with the M240... I was out for about 3 hours and eventually small amounts of snow got stuck in each lens's RF cam and lens mount area. Also a few flakes likely got into the camera between the lens mount and shutter (by this time it was quite cold and the snow flakes became quite small and icy, not the big fluffy kind).... As I used the camera after each lens change, and I tended to use the EVF a fair amount for framing, I noticed a gradual drop in image contrast. It wasn't the EVF eyepiece fogging up... it was the rear lens element fogging up, I assume due to the warmth of the sensor and internal components melting the snow on the back of the lens and the resulting water vapor condensing on the cold glass of the lens...

Anyway, the M240 generally worked well. A few times it flaked out with momentary freezes and I think once I had to reset it by pulling the battery. But I'm finding this isn't entirely uncommon, as pretty much every extended session I've had with it, including while I was out with it in Toronto on Tuesday and a wedding I shot last weekend, has resulted in a freeze or two. Knock on wood so far none resulted in lost images, though the freeze in Toronto caused it to reset to the previously used ISO from the last time it was turned off.

I almost didn't go out Wednesday during the storm, since we've had so much snow this winter and wasn't expecting anything special. But it was a good chance to try the M240 in conditions similar to those in which my M9 was acting up in (I still think it's more a problem of using older firmware and the batteries being somewhat old, than the camera being defective).

The scene that greeted me upon opening the door to go out and shoot Wednesday's blizzard:

All with 28 Cron

Here's the combo towards the end of my walk. I normally would brush off the snow every so often, but left it here for effect...

Downsides of this were that both the on/off switch and the shutter dial would stick due to the accumulation, but gentle force would get them turning again. Afterwards I left the gear sealed in a bag to warm up to room temperature, then left it overnight beside a furnace vent to fully dry. A drying cabinet would be handy for this, but they're difficult to find in Canada...

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:12 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.926 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, another great one!
Manoj, great color and nice composition. I enjoy the set very much, good work.
Edward, you bring me to the street of Thailand. full of life.
Ron, really like that street 'fight', also the #2 portrait of your other half
Leonasj, that two are best from you, nice portraits.
Allen, another nice set of street.
Peter, I was given a Billingham from my wife, (the one build for leica) I am not big fan of it: it is too small, I don't like the way that you have to put camera down with lens point down if you have two additional lens in the bag, just too tight without secure feeling. I also don't like it has no handle on top, so I can't grab it easily. I feel it can only be used with one extra lens with body+lens. Though I have no experience with their other model. Nowdays, I just use a Patagonia city bag:
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/half-mass-messenger-bag?p=48316-0
with mountain smith kit cube insert:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673869-REG/Mountainsmith_10_81064_01_Kit_Cube.html
Big, but I can put more stuff if needed: cell, wallet etc..

I have only 'Sunrise' in city
50lux
Qingdao, China

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:55 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.926 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very well said, Ron, and thank you for the comments! Wow, you subject your M to extreme conditions, something I wouldn't dare to do myself. Beautiful photos that really convey the freezing temperature and the weather conditions.

Zhangyue, thank you as well. You're an early riser I prefer the opposite time of the day, when the sun is setting! Very nice shots!

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:42 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.926 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Very well said, Ron, and thank you for the comments! Wow, you subject your M to extreme conditions, something I wouldn't dare to do myself.

But you dare to point your camera to strangers on street, bare the risk of chased by homeless who throw shoes at you. That is what I called 'brave'

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:43 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.926 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow ... this thread is amazing.

My humble contribution. Home for sale! If anyone wants to move down the road from me...

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.926 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Lurking and 'liking' on here as usual, too lazy to post many comments, but still finding this the BEST alt thread on FM.

Peter - I bought a daughter a LowePro 'Event Messenger 150' bag online for A$60 (say US$55 these days ), having given her my old Canon 40D a couple of years ago. She didn't use the bag but before that became evident, I liked it enough to buy one for myself - it's my Leica M and also now Sony A7 bag.
I can fit 4-5 LM lenses and both an M8 / M9 and Sony A7R body in it, although it's probably best with one body. the narrow side compartments fit LM lens needs perfectly. There are also full-width slip pockets to hold a small tablet, wallet, phone etc. The main throw-over cover can have both velcro and a large snap connector to secure it, or the velcro can be covered so its just the snap working.

I note that the price is even lower now - see http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840041-REG/Lowepro_LP36415_0WW_Event_Messenger_150_For.html

Some collective photo comments (lady first, then alphabetically!):

Katie - Have watched your journey into M-land and love the window on rural Texas that you provide.

airfrogusmc - your street-art shots amuse me every time and I love your perceptiveness and clear stake-outs of suitable backdrop imagery! Congrats on the recent FM comp win. (I presume that an air frog is a helo-deployed frogman?)

CharlesK - love your contributions, especially with the CronDR. Wish I had kept the one I bought from UK before getting a refund, not knowing that a mod for M8/M9 compatibility was possible through CameraClinic.

Charlie - I love your world. You must be on those slopes every day, enjoying your environment and revelling in the use of different lenses. I share your love of the CV90/3.5APO and KTM motorbikes

Edward - I commented months back on the social value of your Bangkok pictures, and I'm a ZM25* user on the strength of your ambassadorial skills for ZM lenses! You don't shy away from the contrasts of Asian life, especially the recent street-beggar images, with the businessmen shielding his nose. Your eye for a shot and colour processing are fantastic. (*ZM25 appalling on A7R of course!).

Gary - your Canadian Rockies shots make me want to be there. Had a lovely holiday there way back in Sep 1986 and we got our share of snow then as I recall.

Leonas - loving the 35 FLE images and the earlier 90/2ASPH ones.

Michael - Your pictures of your children and other imagery were probably amongst the strongest influences on me dipping my toe into the LM world.

Peter - Outstanding Lappland and Alpine pictures, especially the alpine summit ones of your dog, and your sunrise selfie. You are someone else clearly embracing the natural world bigtime.

Ron - I'm in awe of your fortitude and the real workhorse environment you are literally exposing your M9...M240 in, not to mention loving your pictures. To me you are the consummate photographer at love with his art, both at work and play.

RyanK - love your family and other pics, some real gems of your son! Thanks for being understanding some time back when I dallied on the M9 purchase.

Apologies if I have omitted someone.
-------

Sorry for long post. I'm still going ahead on selling my M9, just because of cold feet over my perceptions of long-term reliability of sensor, but it's a shame I haven't had the opportunity of really learning its capabilities. No doubt some will think me silly to take this approach, however as an amateur I have too much money sunk into too many cameras (M9 sensor-replacement in Australia (goodwill from Leica) occupied 6 months). I did break it out last weekend for a 40th wedding anniversary. Dimly-lit venue didn't help suitability of the M9 to the task.

I'm sticking with my M8 and keeping an M6 Classic.

M9, ISO1250, 1/45, Canon LTM50/1.4 @f2

Edited on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.926 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks so much and CH-46 crew chief. We always referred to CH-46s and phrogs and of course USMC (jarhead)

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.926 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

A couple more from Yellowstone. It was difficult to get some good framing due to all the tourists plugging up the boardwalk but I came away with these that I liked. Which one(s) do you prefer out of this batch? And yes, the colors really were that saturated. I actually decreased saturation a bit on a few so I don't blow up your monitors.

21SEM

21SEM

21SEM

21SEM

21SEM

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:39 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.926 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes, everyone!

Katie - great job on the interiors! Unfortunately I suspect it's a bit out of my budget. My GF says I'm too busy keeping Leica and Canon afloat.
Michael - great view and colors!
lenticular - that's very kind of you! I don't think it matters if you stick with the M9 or not. You've got something that's working for you.
Edward - haha, thanks! Leica says it's weather sealed! I hope so.
Gary - you'll be happy to know it was a balmy 13C here today and a lot of the snow from Wednesday melted. Puddles everywhere. Interesting how quickly the weather can change... Very difficult to pick a favourite.. I'm leaning towards 3 & 4. Amazing colours!

Below are some more from the storm. There's a point of land in the woods nearby, about 15-20 feet up from the water. It's one of the few remaining examples of oak savannah in the area. When the wind is coming from the north or east it really picks up speed over the frozen water and blasts the point pretty fiercely, creating nice drifts and snow pushed right into the bark of the trees. Yet, a few minutes away, there were areas where it was so calm and quiet, with inches of snow on the branches. Really idyllic. Candy for the eyes, yet somewhat difficult to photograph, as in the end it's just a bunch of trees, branches and snow. For me it has meaning because it's a place I've known for a long time, but I'm not sure anything much comes across in the photos.

As I mentioned above, I almost didn't go out and left it pretty late, until about 2:30. Yet, I was happy to find I was the first one on that section of trail - virgin snow ahead of me without others having trampled it or knocked it off the branches along the trail - I had it to myself for nearly two hours before a few others followed. I suppose I can be thankful it was a workday and trail activity was pretty low in general... very peaceful too.

M240 & 50 Lux ASPH except second with 28 Cron

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:50 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.926 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you everyone for the kind words and likes
The thread moves so quickly and amazing images.

p925,
Edward, great work. Love that composition of the portrait!!! The street image is very sad, but it's a reality in Asia.
Ron, the Japanese style is very nice, and excellent portraits. Great street fight captures. Interesting PP'ing as it seem slightly different from your usual
Leonas, really like this series
Manoj, wonderful images, and just love the PP'ing with VSCO 4!!
Gary, beautiful monochromatic image!
Allen, superb set of shots! I love your unique style of compositions.

p926,
Ron, superb images, particularly the last set!!! Fascinating blog, and how the M240 works under extreme conditions.
Michael, wonderful shots, and just love the red sunrise
Katie, beautiful images, and love this house!
Lenticular, any time you need help with modifying old lenses, just me a PM Nice shot!
Gary, amazing set from Yellowstone park!

Shots from this morning of faded roses. M240 and 50 Cron Rigid DR.

Edited on Mar 15, 2014 at 05:26 AM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.926 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
But you dare to point your camera to strangers on street, bare the risk of chased by homeless who throw shoes at you. That is what I called 'brave'

Hahaha, thank you Zhangyue for calling me brave. I don't think I am but my attitude has recently changed towards street photography. It moved from shyness to I have the right to take this photo, whether the subject likes it or not

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:08 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.926 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you David and Charles!

Katie, beautiful colors and compositions, and the high contrast has been handled very well. I just would like to comment on the camera vertical alignment which imo is a must in real estate photos. I think the verticals should be straight, something that you can either do while shooting, keeping the camera well levelled, or you can correct it in PP. I personally do a mixture of both, as it is not always possible to keep the camera levelled and get the framing you want, unless you have a T/S lens.

David, very nice portrait! It's too bad you will sell the M9. In our previous conversation, I have also expressed my doubts about the longevity of the sensor, but to be honest, I know Leica supports its products, and even in the case of sensors going out of production, I'm sure Leica will offer an upgrade possibility like they did with the M8 coffee stain.

Gary, fantastic shots! I really like 2, 4 and 5!

Ron, very nice snow set. Love the monochromatic effect.

Charles, outstanding shots, love them all, and the way this lens renders OOF areas is so special.

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:19 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.926 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Hahaha, thank you Zhangyue for calling me brave. I don't think I am but my attitude has recently changed towards street photography. It moved from shyness to I have the right to take this photo, whether the subject likes it or not

You are so brave that can capture so many life out of Thailand street, I mean it. I don't have the gut to do it even I really want try it. 'people' is favorite subject of my photography.

Gary, #1 and #3 works best for me. They looks wonderful. i never mind vivid color
Ron, that is painting. wonderful feel.
Charles, thanks for comment, and wonderful rigid Leica M shots that can only come from M240.

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:24 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.926 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

First signs of spring in our town.

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:40 AM
najibs
• • •
p.926 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I was comparing 2 lenses today...

Top photo: 40/2 cron @f/2
Bottom photo: CV 50/1.5 ASPH Classic @f/2

Not post-processing at all on any image. Straight DNG to JPEG conversion. I find the Cron a bit more contrasty, no?

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:46 AM
leonasj
• •
p.926 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

All jpeg from camera no PP at 1.4 ISO160 from fishing,fish upload later

leonasj 2014

M9+35FLE

leonasj 2014

M9+35FLE

leonasj 2014

M9+35FLE

leonasj 2014

M9+35FLE

leonasj 2014

M9+35FLE

Mar 15, 2014 at 07:24 AM
leonasj
• •
p.926 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron,nice tree on your photos,im waiting from you photos of tree from M240 sharper or equal sharp as on my M9,your photos from M9 was ultra sharp.Can M240 outperform M9 on sharpness?im want to buy M240 too,but still waiting

Mar 15, 2014 at 07:32 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.926 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Najib, nice portrait. I like the CV rendering more, and I think it has a touch more contrast than the cron.

Leonas, nice set. My favourite is the last shot.

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:50 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.926 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

From today:

M - 50/2 planar by edward karaa, on Flickr

M - 50/2 planar by edward karaa, on Flickr

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:51 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •