L1000892 by edward karaa, on Flickr

L1000894 by edward karaa, on Flickr

L1000896 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 01, 2014 at 12:07 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.926 #3 · p.926 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward great images. Love the way this lens renders. M240?

Jun 01, 2014 at 02:19 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.926 #4 · p.926 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Allen! Yep, M240, my one and only

Jun 01, 2014 at 02:45 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.926 #5 · p.926 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward I so love the shooting experience with Leica I plan on picking up maybe an M and a used M9 or M-E. I am hoping. Probably hopelessly waiting to see if Leica might come out with a new M-E with the new sensor. If they do I will pick one up. If not I will probably just bite the bullet and get an M240. Sell all the Canon stuff. Should get a good $$$ for the 200 2L...I think there are selling for more used than what I paid for it right after it first came out. I use the Canons for my pro work. Would love to lighten the load.

Those images that you posted are SO RICH in color. I had a friends M9 for about month to see if I still loved rangefinders before I bought my MM and I fell in love with the files from the M9. But the low light performance of the M 240 and the rich color and beautiful OOF areas in the images that you posted make me really think maybe this is a lens that I want in the bag.

So thanks for the posts (I think) LoL...

it's going to take a while to get it all funded...

Jun 01, 2014 at 03:05 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.926 #6 · p.926 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you very much once more Allen for the kind words

I wouldn't count on Leica releasing an ME with the new sensor, because LV is inherent in the CMOS sensor and basically it doesn't cost them anything to include it. Anyway Photokina is only a few months away so we'll see. As for the Planar, it is a classic symmetrical Zeiss design, with no aspherics that cause the mid zone dip in equivalent Leica lenses. It is one of the cheapest ZM lenses, so it's not painful to the wallet to add it to your line up. I subscribed recently to Lloyd Chambers reviews, and was very surprised how favorably the Planar compares to the current 50 Cron and Lux, only bettered by the AA. Highly recommended

Jun 01, 2014 at 03:24 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.926 #7 · p.926 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

From what i've seen from you this lens looks like a real gem. I shot with Blad Zeiss for years and lover several of those lenses. The 50 FLE and the 180 were my two favs.

Jun 01, 2014 at 03:45 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.926 #8 · p.926 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Allen - The 50/2 ZM use to be one of my favourite lenses. I use to love the way it rendered until I bought the 50APO and did a side by side. I think that's when I started noticing that I preferred the way the Leica lens rendered, and I started to dislike the 50/2 ZM and other Zeiss lenses for that matter (even my much loved 50MPZE which I've owned for ages despite at one time selling all the Canon bodies that could utilise it).

HOWEVER, every time I look back through my 50/2 ZM shots, I'm always really happy with the results I got from it, and I start to second guess my decision to keep the 10x more expensive 50APO (nostalgia for the 50/2 ZM I guess).. What I'm trying to say is that the performance is so close if you're not pixel peeping and shooting side by side, and you tend to favour the zeiss rendering (like Edward and sometimes myself), then there would be no reason not to pick up the 50/2 ZM. In fact, it's just crazy not to own one since the performance/rendering is so good

Sorry, I have no idea where my side by sides went of the 50/2 ZM, 50APO, 50MPZE.. Would share them if I could find them.

BTW, I know there's a pretty popular photoblogger who did a side by side review, and I'd just like to note that my tests varied greatly from his.

Hope this helps lighten your wallet

Jun 01, 2014 at 04:03 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.926 #9 · p.926 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles - Thanks for the advice, I'm also in the nightmare boat also. I'm planning on bringing the lens for a wedding shoot, and I honestly won't have time to chimp to see if my lens is acting up. And in the heat of the moment I won't have time to "compensate" for the slight focus issue. I did find someone however that works on Leica lenses, so let's hope he can fix the lens for me (and at a reasonable price).

Edward - The 50/2 ZM shots are great, makes me wanna buy one again

joakim - Luxury Selfie!

Katie - I would, I should, honestly I work primarily on 2 different computers. One for sitting around in my room and chatting with you all (laptop), and one in the office for editing (desktop) so it can get troublesome. And the volume of boring work that I shoot

Jun 01, 2014 at 04:14 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.926 #10 · p.926 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

The 50 AA is in a league of its own, Adam. For those who are able and willing to pay the price it's a no brainer. But between the planar, lux and cron, if Leica rendering is not a priority, the planar should be given a serious consideration imo.

Jun 01, 2014 at 04:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.926 #11 · p.926 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
The 50 AA is in a league of its own, Adam. For those who are able and willing to pay the price it's a no brainer. But between the planar, lux and cron, if Leica rendering is not a priority, the planar should be given a serious consideration imo.

Between the 50/2 ZM and 50 Cron, I'd go for the 50/2 ZM every time. In my opinion (including rendering) I like the 50/2 ZM, and as a bonus it's more then half the price.

The 50Lux is kinda hard to group with the above mentioned lenses, it's a 1.4 lens, it gives you something different (really different).. Also couldn't really compare the 50Noct, it's just to different (different by comparison to the 50Lux).

Was just playing around with some work files from the Noct, will post one before bed (it's late here 2am, I'm getting tired).

EDIT: Ended up exporting a 50APO file accidentally, will post a Noctilux file from this work series some other time

Edited on Jun 01, 2014 at 06:40 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2014 at 05:56 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.926 #12 · p.926 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

50APO @ f/2:
(I REALLY need to learn how to export for web considering 90% of my work is digital [although I give clients full res files, so maybe not])

Jun 01, 2014 at 06:39 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.926 #13 · p.926 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam very nice love the tones and the rendering, has an angelic appeal

Great control of highlights

Did you use any type of flash?

Phil

Jun 01, 2014 at 07:15 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.926 #14 · p.926 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi Phil,

Thanks, it's really hard to get the brightness/colour down. I have 7-8 computers in the house (not all mine), and it looks different on all of them (not to mention the phones and tablets), even the two calibrated computers are different.

All natural light on this one.. I wear a white shirt when shooting stuff like this though, if it helps any, who knows.

Best,
Adam

P.S. OMG I need to go to bed (4am), I have to stop working!

Jun 01, 2014 at 07:57 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.926 #15 · p.926 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Allen - The 50/2 ZM use to be one of my favourite lenses. I use to love the way it rendered until I bought the 50APO and did a side by side. I think that's when I started noticing that I preferred the way the Leica lens rendered, and I started to dislike the 50/2 ZM and other Zeiss lenses for that matter (even my much loved 50MPZE which I've owned for ages despite at one time selling all the Canon bodies that could utilise it).

HOWEVER, every time I look back through my 50/2 ZM shots, I'm always really
...Show more

Thanks so much for the info. I'm not sure which way I will go yet. Thinking about a 21 or 24 and a 90 Cron also?

I appreciate the advice form both you and Edward.

Jun 01, 2014 at 08:04 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.926 #16 · p.926 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:

Thank you guys SO MUCH...

Jun 01, 2014 at 08:06 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.926 #17 · p.926 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Adam very nice love the tones and the rendering, has an angelic appeal

Great control of highlights

Did you use any type of flash?

Phil

Agree.....

Jun 01, 2014 at 08:07 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.926 #18 · p.926 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Allen,

If you go with an M-E or used M9, you'll want all the lens speed you can get. With the M240 the file characteristics at higher ISOs are similar to what you're already accustomed to with Canon, but I find that while one can push M240 high ISO files moderately, they feel somewhat thin and brittle. It doesn't take too much for white speckles to appear at pixel level and shadow values will start to reveal a green tinge. Unlike the M-E/M9, it's not such a great idea to push M240 shadow values a huge amount, especially at higher ISOs.

Also not sure how much you rely on fps or rapid shooting with your Canon kit and whether any of this will be relevant to you in a full Leica transition, but the M240 drops to about 1fps and half the buffer depth at ISO 1250 or higher. Since my shooting style seems to be quite different from yours, all I can say is it annoys me tremendously and is probably the greatest flaw in the M240, for me. It's not that I always need to shoot many frames in sequences, rather, it's immediate next shot readiness that I value in high fps cameras.

Since 99% of the time I'm sticking to ISO 1000 and lower on the M240 in order to avoid the 1fps limit, I still find f/1.4 lenses to be invaluable.

Something to consider about Leica's 21 and 24 offerings is that you'll get speed and character from the Luxes, with optimization primarily for wide open shooting, whereas the slow(er) Super-Elmar and Elmar will give you optical perfection at all apertures. The latter two lenses (though I have much more experience with the 21 Super-Elmar than the 24 Elmar) are very easy to use, without any catches. You just focus and the image will be sharp. With the Luxes (again, my experience is much more with the 21), image quality will suffer somewhat if you want to place subject content off center while stopped down 2-3 stops.

Charlie,

I often shoot at around f/11, if only for the sake of knowing there will be more than enough depth of field, even if there is some slight trade off in diffraction softening, I've found some scenes truly will benefit from the additional depth of field at f/16 (thinking specifically of the 28 Cron and 21 SEM), especially when aiming to include near and far scene elements. If the foreground content is relatively prominent, then that is where I will bias my focus. If foreground content needs to be tack sharp, I will either focus on it, or slightly behind so that it remains well within depth of field, and will let the background go a touch soft in exchange. If it's a good composition, then it will be worthwhile focus bracketing a few shots to ensure you achieve the expected results.

A while back Roger Cicala of Lensrentals made an interesting point when discussing lens test results. Often diffraction degradation is seen as something to be avoided at all costs, meanwhile many photographers don't hesitate to shoot wide open. In his lens test analyses, it was very clear that (across-frame) lens performance/resolution is generally better at f/16 than at near wide open. While some image degradation will be visible due to diffraction, careful sharpening in post can usually compensate.

The greatest annoyance of f/11-16, IMO, is dust. For whatever reason, I've been having a heck of a time with dust on the M240's sensor. Not just spots, but larger fibers on a relatively frequent basis...

Adam,

Many of my lenses have a slight back focus bias on both my M9 and M240.. while you won't like my suggestion, I find on-the-fly compensation while shooting tends to work pretty well.

Jun 01, 2014 at 10:02 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.926 #19 · p.926 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks so much for the advice. I do not use FPS at all so no issue in that regard. Still a ways off but starting to plan and think about things now. Have to lighten the gear. Should get a little sump'm for my 24L, 35L, 85L and 200 2L. My old 5DIIs are pretty beat so probably not much there. Thanks again Ron....

Jun 01, 2014 at 10:22 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.926 #20 · p.926 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Allen/Edward ... I loved my 50 planar on my Blad setup for years (in addition to my 120mm makro planar). I am excited to see that Alan might be adding another lens to the arsenal! BTW, Allen, not to embarrass you, but I found your post on RFF about your meaning behind your photographs so touching. I was delighted to learn something about you. I left a comment there, don't know if you saw it or not. Anyway - your work is wonderful and you are inspiring. Just thought you'd like to know...

Jun 02, 2014 at 12:04 AM
1       2       3              925      
       927              1380       1381       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              925      
       927              1380       1381       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password