FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              915      
       917              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Kpsingh0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.916 #1 · p.916 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I guess I should of been more clear. I was talking about the older non FLE version on the Lux.

May 19, 2014 at 11:48 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.916 #2 · p.916 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Kpsingh0 wrote:
Another question to the experienced. Leica 35 Summicron ASPH or the Summilux ASPH? I only ask because I have the opportunity to get the lux at a good price and sell my cron.

I really dislike the 35 Cron, as it doesn't suit my style of shooting.. I wouldn't say it's a bad lens, I'd just say that I feel for what I'm looking for in a lens the 35 1.4 pre-asph is probably the best 35mm lens for me.. I have the 35 FLE (haven't had much time with it, but it's starting to grow on me), but feel it's a little more of a clean matter of fact lens (but with more character then the 35cron).. Reminds me of the difference between the 28 Summicron-asph and 28 Elmarit-asph (FLE being the Elmarit-asph in rendering vibe).. Anyway, I'd opt for the pre-fle summilux if I were in your shoes. ONE big plus to the 35summicron is it's size and it looks awesome on an M body!

I think the 35FLE would rock black and white images. Airfrogusmc uses one a lot if I'm not mistaken, and with a monochrom.

Anyway, off to HK on an unplanned trip in the morning.. Going to bring one M240 and the 50APO (was thinking of bringing just the 35FLE since it's new, but decided on the 50APO instead). - See Katie, I'm boring and hate changing lenses

Hopefully I'll have some worth while personal images to post when I get back.

May 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM
ceder
• •
p.916 #3 · p.916 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

A lot of nice lux 50 images!

Here is another snapshot...

May 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.916 #4 · p.916 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Huff:
"The Leica 35 Summilux ASPH (old version) was also a lens I have owned more than once because I love the way it renders an image. It has gobs of character and has an even faster 1.4 aperture. As much as I loved the Summilux, I always ended up going back to the Summicron (ASPH). Why? Mainly due to the focus shift that has plagued the 35 Lux ASPH ever since the M8 and M9 hit the market. I needed a 35 that I could use for EVERYTHING. Portraits, landscape, architectural, etc. The problem was when I tried to take a shot of a barn or old abandoned house, the 35 Lux would give me that damn shift and my images would be out of focus. So while I loved the character of the Lux when it was “on”, I hated it when it was “off”.

I'm sure some real lens owners will chime in shortly, but my impression is that alot of shooters would prefer the cron 35 asph, but of course the extra stop is tempting.

The FLE seems in another league altogether, even the Sony A7r likes it !

May 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.916 #5 · p.916 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I have both lenses and I use them about equally. The Cron ASPH has better performance wide open compared to the Lux ASPH at f/1,4. The images from Cron ASPH (wide open) is a bit crisper and sharper. It also has a more even performance in the outer zone (I also think Cron ASPH is also better than Zeiss Biogon 35/2 at f/2,0 in this regard). But Lux ASPH has a very attractive rendering style at f/1,4. It's not very sharp but sharp enough with good contrast and excellent color and out of focus highlight. My copy does't have the focus shift issue for close focus distance. That is the reason that I do not feel the need to upgrade it to the FLE version. Stepping down to f/2,8 to f/8,0, both lens are very similar. I really like both lenses but use them for different occasions.

May 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.916 #6 · p.916 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Adam, I've seen your 50apo work, and wouldn't change lenses either... That's a performer! !

Yes, airfrog (Allen) only uses the 35FlE lens and totally rocks it!!

May 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.916 #7 · p.916 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thank you for all your comments and like. I appreciate.
Really nice images from last pg. I enjoy them a lot

I would pick pre-fle for the rendering and 2nd price difference ($800?). FLE is sharper lens cross frame once stop down though. With saying that, for about $3500~4500,(FLE or non-FLE) that is too expensive IMO.

A few more with 28cron

May 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.916 #8 · p.916 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Katie - Thanks!
zhangyue - Nice shots, first one is my fav.

uhoh7 - I didn't noticed any focus shift issues.. I shot mainly @ 1.4 though so I wouldn't have noticed since mine was optimised for f/1.4... Although I did test it on other apertures and I don't recall any big issues?!
But again, this is why I mentioned that for my style of shooting, and my rendering preference, I like the 35asph better then the 35cron, although after looking at some old photos tonight, I've realised I don't hate the cron as much as I let on

May 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.916 #9 · p.916 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I actually sold my 35 Cron ASPH after I got my Lux ASPH late 90'. I only started fully appreciate the strength of 35 Cron ASPH when I got into digital Ms.

May 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM
ceder
• •
p.916 #10 · p.916 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Well the 35 lux is just silly expensive compared to the 50 lux. Why so?

strolling by c e d e r, on Flickr

Voigtländer VM 50/1.5 ASPH

May 20, 2014 at 01:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.916 #11 · p.916 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I see in 35mm. That's a good enough reason for me.

May 20, 2014 at 01:53 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.916 #12 · p.916 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes.

Here are some more from the past weekend. M9 and 50 Lux.

May 20, 2014 at 02:05 PM
kape06111

p.916 #13 · p.916 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Some shots with the Lux 35 Asph and m240. Mine has no shift and i love it, the rendering is awesome.

May 20, 2014 at 04:31 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.916 #14 · p.916 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

great stuff everyone

still out playing with the zm/35:

L1012052 by unoh7, on Flickr
f/16

L1012112 by unoh7, on Flickr
f/2

L1012099 by unoh7, on Flickr
f/4

for comparison, the 28 cron @f/2

L1011399 by unoh7, on Flickr

so far: the zm35/2 seems excellent. it's no sharper than the 21 SEM, 28 cron or 50 cron, to my eyes so far, in fact it might not be quite as sharp as those lenses--depending on aperture. But it's close. The edges really come in just before 5.6.

Frankly, I enjoy the rendering at speed, and I don't have any terrible bokeh artifacts yet. Lens almost seems a cross between the 28 cron and 50 cron, wide open.

It is the most flare resistant lens I own at the moment, amazing really. I may dump the hood. It puts the cron 28, which is supposedly good with flare, completely to shame in this regard. I love the 28 cron, but try never to leave the hood at home.

DSC04183 by unoh7, on Flickr

Think I will keep the zeiss

May 20, 2014 at 04:38 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.916 #15 · p.916 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

kape06111 wrote:
Some shots with the Lux 35 Asph and m240. Mine has no shift and i love it,

focus shift is inherent to the design of the pre FLE. the lens has focus shift, period, whether it's noticeable by all end users or not.

May 20, 2014 at 05:04 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.916 #16 · p.916 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I am just re surfacing from a wonderful weekend, and now a married man Thank you everyone for the kind words and wishes.

I have attached a shot taken by my son, with his A7r and FE 55/1.8. I was off duty this evening

I have been liking the many shots, as I have not had the time to comment individually.

redisburning wrote:
focus shift is inherent to the design of the pre FLE. the lens has focus shift, period, whether it's noticeable by all end users or not.

This question and issue, has raised many times before. The 35 Lux Asph pre FLE, does have focus shift issues. The important point depends on how well the pre FLE is calibrated for the M9/M240. If the calibration takes into account a slight forward cusp focus, at MFD at 1.4, and then the focus shifts backwards, but is then compensated with the increasing DOF, it does work well.

I have very similar issues with the 50 Nocti f/1.0 too

Edited on May 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM · View previous versions

May 20, 2014 at 08:05 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.916 #17 · p.916 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
I am just re surfacing from a wonderful weekend, and now a married man Thank you everyone for the kind words and wishes.

I have been liking the many shots, as I have not had the time to comment individually.

This question and issue, has raised many times before. The 35 Lux Asph pre FLE, does have focus shift issues. The important point depends on how well the pre FLE is calibrated for the M9/M240. If the calibration takes into account a slight forward cusp focus, at MFD at 1.4, and then the focus shifts backwards, but is then compensated with
...Show more
congrats

May 20, 2014 at 08:07 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.916 #18 · p.916 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Kpsingh0 wrote:
I guess I should of been more clear. I was talking about the older non FLE version on the Lux.

If you were to buy a used copy, I would def. make sure the the seller agree's to return it if you have any focus shift issues, I have bought items here and when I have an issue, some say "Oh it worked well on my camera, maybe not yours" and you are left high and dry, when in fact some sellers know for a fact they had issues on the cameras, happens at times. Call me paranoid, but I am not into inheriting someones problem, esp. when they know about it!

Just my 2 cents, maybe 2,000 cents

May 20, 2014 at 08:34 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.916 #19 · p.916 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

CONGRATS! CHARLES! TO YOU AND YOUR BRIDE!

May 20, 2014 at 08:35 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.916 #20 · p.916 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
This question and issue, has raised many times before. The 35 Lux Asph pre FLE, does have focus shift issues. The important point depends on how well the pre FLE is calibrated for the M9/M240. If the calibration takes into account a slight forward cusp focus, at MFD at 1.4, and then the focus shifts backwards, but is then compensated with the increasing DOF, it does work well.

I have very similar issues with the 50 Nocti f/1.0 too

well yes, because that's how it is.

how many people have perpetrated the myth that focus shift varies from copy to copy? it just happened in this thread.

optical calculations have shift. things like decentering or poorly matching elements are production issues.

May 20, 2014 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.