Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              908      
       910              1099       1100       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.909 #1 · p.909 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

L1004857 by unoh7, on Flickr
28 cron

L1004803 by unoh7, on Flickr
35 skopar

L1004836 by unoh7, on Flickr
28 cron zone focus

L1004802 by unoh7, on Flickr
CV 35/1.4 @ 1.4

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:14 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.909 #2 · p.909 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:50 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.909 #3 · p.909 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen - really enjoying your shadow play lately!
Charlie - nice work! Regarding the SEM... you would have ended up with one eventually anyway, might as well just cut to the chase. The Biogon is no slouch, but can't touch the SEM at wider apertures, if you want good across frame sharpness in a flat plane. It's unfortunate the ZM 21/4.5 has such horrible color shift on digital Ms, otherwise it might be the best combination of small size and performance. Regarding 135mm... from the various reviews I've read, there seems to be very little improvement in the latest APO and it might be starting to show its age too. Just saw a comparison of it vs. the ZF 135/2 (on an a7) by Jim Kasson and the Zeiss is probably the level of performance you're looking for, but it's massive (and of course doesn't work nicely on an M9). Point being, there's possibly room for improvement in that focal length whereas the 21 is likely the best on the market at the moment.

rscheffler wrote:
Just means you're getting old(er) and your tastes are changing.

zhangyue wrote:
Agree! 5 years ago, I thought D3S is the best looking camera
Now I prefer camera a little slimmer and simpler, especially the ones getting older like M3

I know exactly what you mean, having come through what seems a very similar progression.... I still like my 1DX, but it's telling me something when I mostly only use it for work now...

My ~3 weeks with the RX10 revealed to me that I can live with a small sensor camera and longer lens combo for the occasional walk around reach I might find lacking with the M system. One option would be to find a decent, 'compact' tele zoom for the M240 (thinking of the Canon FD 80-200/4L), but it'll still be relatively large. So, maybe a smaller format camera & lens combo might be better... like one of the small Panasonics... perhaps a GX7.

Joe - nice to see the NYT outtakes! I've on occasion also left my gear somewhere in the scene and later found it in the images.

Joakim - great set! I think it's the strongest of those you've posted recently.

Sorry, more trees. This from a couple weeks ago, never got around to posting them. I guess what I like here is that the snow masks depth and everything looks to be on a flat plane in a sketch-like manner...

M240 & 2 x 50 Lux ASPH, 28 Cron

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:09 AM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.909 #4 · p.909 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments, Charlie, Charles, Ron and others for the "likes".

Charles, I didn't realize RX1R had different feel to the pp. I expected it to be similar to RX1 but sharper without the AA filter. Wise of you to let her decide on which camera to use, but I always imagined our spouses would prefer a lighter camera, could it be she likes the tilting LCD on the A7r?
Charlie, another nice varied set. You seem to be skiing everyday and have your cameras with you all the time.
Ron, love the contrasting tones and subtle colors on this last tree & snow set, but it looks really cold out there!

rscheffler wrote:
My ~3 weeks with the RX10 revealed to me that I can live with a small sensor camera and longer lens combo for the occasional walk around reach I might find lacking with the M system. One option would be to find a decent, 'compact' tele zoom for the M240 (thinking of the Canon FD 80-200/4L), but it'll still be relatively large. So, maybe a smaller format camera & lens combo might be better... like one of the small Panasonics... perhaps a GX7.

Maybe a gently used X-Vario as a smaller sensor zoom walkabout? I didn't really pay attention to the specs at launch but as soon as I held one in my hands, Leica lust started to take over

So we have grandma (M3), older sis (M9), younger sis (M240). Where does Monochom fit in the family?

Mono + CV 35/1.4 SC

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:47 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.909 #5 · p.909 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe - The Monochrom has always been the black sheep of the family….

A couple more from my walkabout last week.

Canon 50mm f/1.4 ltm

Canon 50mm f/1.4 ltm

Canon 50mm f/1.4 ltm

Edited on Feb 26, 2014 at 10:45 PM · View previous versions

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:24 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.909 #6 · p.909 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, indeed I can see your M9 looking a bit grumpy The trees set is quite nice. I especially like the colors and the silhouette in the first and last shots. As for the high iso, undoubtedly the M performance is very good, but there is a clear difference against the Sony, which is probably the current leader. The snow shots are awesome in their abstraction and monochromatic nature. Love this set.

Zhangyue, I agree with you that the M3 is the real beauty. Maybe it's my age too

Joakim, nice b/w set. The monochrome treatment is very appropriate for this subject.

Joe, excellent editorial set. Well done! Indeed I feel equally at home with the files of M, M9 and A7. Maybe because my PP is very simple. But it's interesting that the files have similar color and rendering The monochrome shot looks so much like film. Love the contrast and documentary feel.

Charles, I haven't tested my camera for high iso banding yet, but I will do soon. I agree with you that the A7R high iso files are not as esthetic as the M, but the A7's are actually quite nice and I have used 12,800 at some occasions with noise not too far from the M at 3200.

Charlie, nice b/w portrait.

Allen, love the light and shadow, and texture interplay in your shot.

Gary, you made me laugh with your comment about the Chrom being the black sheep of the family, or is it the black and white sheep? Very nice and clean geometric shapes in the first 2 shots above, very well suited for b/w. The street shot is very nice too.

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:45 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.909 #7 · p.909 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charlie, the 28 Cron is a magic lens!! Great portrait, and images
Allen, excellent abstract, and always really enjoy the balance of the light with shadows.
Ron, very nice! Interesting to see the difference in rendering between the 50 Lux an 28 Cron on the trees
Joe, very nice! Great combo of the using the M-M and the 35/1.4 SC, perfect for B&W work.
Gary, love the rendering in all of these shots! I have a feeling the 50 Cron's in generally, particularly the older versions, have a really nice B&W quality combined with the M240.

Shots with M240 and 21 SEM

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:22 AM
leonasj
• •
p.909 #8 · p.909 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

35lux FLE at 1.4 from jpeg,slightly cropped:

M9+35lux FLE ISO160 f/1.4

Edited on Feb 26, 2014 at 08:48 AM · View previous versions

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:15 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.909 #9 · p.909 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
I sold the the RX1r, as Marisa preferred the A7r with the FE 35/55, which is the deciding factor here of course. IMO the RX1r is not as good as the RX1. I originally had the RX1 and loved the color profiles and richness of the tones. After having accidentally dropped the RX1 on its lens, insurance replaced it, and I opted for the RX1r as it was without the AA filter, and meant to identically the same sensor. I don't think the sensor is the same, as it behaves very differently, and this was other main factor for selling
...Show more

Interesting to hear this Charles! Thanks for sharing. I didn't expect the files of the RX1R to be very different from the RX1.

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:45 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.909 #10 · p.909 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Found out my 2011 M9-P has a bright red dot in the center with a line trough the frame .
Only visible when in high ISO but nevertheless still a bummer....

I contacted leica directly and they told me to sent the camera.

Did anyone had the same thing? How did it work out? Are there much costs involved? And what do they do to solve this?

At the same time I tried to sell my 35 cron asph, but damned those leica lenses. When someone made an offer I scared and decided to keep the lens... Strange thing it feels so hard to just sell a lens I don't even use often..

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.909 #11 · p.909 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi Robert,

Your sensor is probably in its last moments. Leica will replace the sensor for free, but if they decide to charge you, it will cost around 1000$.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.909 #12 · p.909 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Jochenb wrote:
Interesting to hear this Charles! Thanks for sharing. I didn't expect the files of the RX1R to be very different from the RX1.

I noticed a difference when I first received the new RX1r, and I thought with PP'ing I could get the same results, but the files are different. Then the results came from DxO, suggesting a difference ISO performance and DR. Maybe Sony are not quite transparent here and the sensors are quite different.

Robert, hopefully the sensor is not fully gone, but just needs a few pixels to be remapped. Usually this only takes a day or two with software. The sensors are very prone to gamma ray, particularly when you travel by plane. After or during a number of trips, I had dead pixels on 3 separate occasions with the M9. In all cases here, it was a short trip, and I hoping it is not a complete sensor replacement!!

Edited on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM · View previous versions

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.909 #13 · p.909 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Hi Robert,

Your sensor is probably in its last moments. Leica will replace the sensor for free, but if they decide to charge you, it will cost around 1000$.

Oef... Lets hope they change it for free...

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.909 #14 · p.909 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
I noticed a difference when I first received it, and I thought with PP'ing I could get the same results, but the files are different. Then the results came from DxO, suggesting a difference ISO performance and DR. Maybe Sony are not quite transparent here and the sensors are quite different.

Robert, hopefully the sensor is not fully gone, but just needs a few pixels to be remapped. Usually this only takes a day or two with software. The sensors are very prone to gamma ray, particularly when you travel by plane. After or during a number of trips, I had
...Show more

Thanks, the camera works just fine and on low ISO's there is no problem at all. Only above ISO 640 there is a clear but very thin line in the shot.
The red dot is visible on the back screen but not on the computer.

So I just wait and see. Luckily I have the A7 now

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.909 #15 · p.909 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Oh, if it's just a "dot" as in a stuck pixel, and the usual line, that can be easily remapped as Charles said. I thought it was a bigger dot

Your raw converter is automatically ignoring it, that's why it appears on the screen but not on the computer. Nothing serious, except your resolution is less one full line now.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM
asiafish
• •
p.909 #16 · p.909 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Walking around outside of the Red Rock hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada last weekend.

Leica M Monochrom with 35mm f/2.5 Summarit-M, yellow filter, minimal post.

L1003002-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1003007-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1003017-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1003018-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1003023-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.909 #17 · p.909 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Robert - sorry to hear about your sensor. Hopefully things get sorted out quickly and to your satisfaction.
Charles - nice pics. What type of fish do they typically catch from the beach?

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:00 PM
asiafish
• •
p.909 #18 · p.909 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
So we have grandma (M3), older sis (M9), younger sis (M240). Where does Monochom fit in the family?

Crazy Uncle.

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:21 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.909 #19 · p.909 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
"So we have grandma (M3), older sis (M9), younger sis (M240). Where does Monochom fit in the family?"

Joe right where it should fit King of the Castle

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:50 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.909 #20 · p.909 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, Sorry to hear about your RX1R. My only concern was the color score in DXOmark is much lower than RX1 during discuss here in FM: 84vs79?(might not be an issue at all) But biggest reason is the hefty price difference at time of buying. I love my RX1 from tool point of view, and I feel this is the best combination at 35mm of lens, sensor and form now. Though, it is hard to get emotional attachment with her than pretty Leica family .

I did a short comparison of RX1 with 35FE and A7, I found at f2.8, 35FE at ‘extreme’ corner not as good as RX1 at f2. But center seems as good as or better than RX1. It took until f5.6 to have my 35FE to catch the extreme corner. Nevertheless, both lenses triumph my 35cron V1 almost all aperture and 35biogon before f4.
Both great beach shots, bring some good color in this BW page
Ron, Love your painting like process. They are awesome. As for long zoom, I highly recommend 80-200 Leica. If you look their published MTF, it almost as good as famous 70-180f2.8 Leica.

Edward, Asian usually appreciate younger one once getting older, I guess that is what you did from how you treat M9 and M240

Joe, love that monochrome shot looks and composition.

Charlie, The first portrait is great and thanks for your nice comments. You don’t need 50lux for the work I showed recently. Did I just save you $3500+

Allen, another nice light and shadow shot.

Gary, like your recent BW city shots. Glad to see everyone experiment different zone in photography.

Leonasj Nice portrait, I know you may prefer image untouched, but slightly PP to suit theme and vision might worth a try

Asiafish, the first one is great.

Now 50lux WO at raining night, Suzhou

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password