Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              901      
       903              1060       1061       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.902 #1 · p.902 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Michael - I enjoy seeing those daily life moments and like the first and third of the 'experimental' images.
Gary - keep 'em coming - third one in particular has a very nice feel and colour palette. So far the M9-M240 transition has been pretty smooth. No regrets, other than my budget... As I've probably mentioned, I'm finding the live view/EVF option handy for framing and focus confirmation, when needed. Nice to be able to fall back to it, but have been primarily shooting with the rangefinder/OVF. So far post production hasn't been a chore to adapt. Maybe it's because it's new, but I find I'm pushing the files around a lot more than I have lately with the M9. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign, but at least it's not because I'm fighting the files.
Katie - fun shot! Is he wondering why you stuck his birthday candles in a huge bowl of dip? Looks like quite the massive and tasty spread you had for the party!
Charlie - thanks for the additional images. The lens does look really good. There is some CA in the landscape shot but the Summarit also has some and of course it's no problem to clean up in post. Have you noticed any signs of purple fringing around bright highlights or high contrast transitions at wider apertures? It tends to be a Voigtlander characteristic with a number of their lenses, including pretty much all of their fast glass.

Some trees... kept the downsizing sharpening off for these to keep them from going too crunchy...

M240 & 21SEM, 28 Cron, 21, 28 and 50 Lux ASPH

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:52 AM
charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.902 #2 · p.902 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you every one for the kind words and likes
Ash, the temperature last night was 28 degC, overcast, but nice lighting. Great way to chill out
Ron, very nice, and you are appear to be very much at peace with the M240 Wonderful rendering with the 50 Lux. Love the #2 and 3 from your last set!
Michael, love your images and PP'ing!! Excellent series.
Gary, stunning images!
Katie, wonderful capture of your father
Charlie, cool series

Another shot from last night M240 and 50 Cron Rigid DR

Feb 18, 2014 at 02:07 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.902 #3 · p.902 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

@Gary, missed those last yellowstone pics till now. 1 & 2 outstanding
@ Charles nice mood in the seascape

@ Ron love the trees, am trying to learn to shoot them better. I will keep an eye out for purple fringe.

Here is the same landscape wide open:
CV90/3.5 @ 3.5

focus on the third peak from the left

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:10 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.902 #4 · p.902 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

One from 50 Lux Asph

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:35 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.902 #5 · p.902 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Mirek, the oof tree in foreground goes great with the shot

Charles your killing me with those Rigid DR images great stuff! love the car on the roof, awesome awesome colors BTW!

Ron great tree shots! nice PP work! BTW I ended up picking up that jena w/adapter, Alex from Pop flash told me those were "characteristic bubbles in the glass from the era of production"

Unoh very nice last image, breathtaking!

zhangyue another fine series! I'm really enjoying your M9 shots, def. prefer them over the M, love your high contrast images, great

Gary nice YNP series, you really know how to work those whites!

Happy birthday to your Dad Katie! Love your work! very natural esp. your B and W's, your work makes me feel like I am there, a rare gift these days in photography

Again Unoh cool bike, thought the fork was all wood until I took a closer look!

Thanks for the likes, this thread moved fast today, must be nice to go out shooting on a Monday, while I'm at my desk sleeping at work 'Dilbert style'

Phil

Feb 18, 2014 at 04:57 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.902 #6 · p.902 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, I never bored to see such fine landscape shots, 3rd one is my fav.
Charles, Great color and mood.
Katie, You dad must love that photo. I appreciate your nice comment. but I am not that good I learned a lot from here in FM. for example, Ron has given us many good tricks in this thread over the years. As for my color image, For above images, I start with VSCO film 04 preset. Gary has been spot on about Velvia as starting point. though I always tweak HSL pannel and curve to my like depend on content. There is no secret or rule
Ron, like the first one.
Mirek, Nice composition.

Here is one from Laoshan, Qingdao.
21 biogon M9
handhold 1/25s

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:33 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.902 #7 · p.902 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Phil, Charlie and Michael, thank you very much, and also for the likes
Phil, the 50 Cron Rigid is a very unique lens. Amazing as it is 5 decades old! The DR with the close range is excellent too
Mirek, very nice angle.
Michael, superb image!!! Love mood and mist in the back drop

Another with the M240 and 50 Cron Rigid DR

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:39 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.902 #8 · p.902 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments Michael, Katie and everyone else for the likes

Ron, the flare on your TE135 actually looks nice on those shots
Michael, those composition experiments looks nice, especially like the vertical composition with the branches. The ZM21 shot looks great, really nice colors too.
Gary, excellent Yellowstone pics! My favorite is the 35Cron shot, love it! I can't wait to see green pastures after all the snow we had this year.
Katie, congrats on your dad's birthday!
Charlie, CV90 looking good and sharp.
Charles, another excellent series with the 50DR, renders beautifully.

-------
S2 Mamiya 120 f/4 Macro

Accidentally left it at ISO640 but the files still looks good

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:55 PM
Manoj
• •
p.902 #9 · p.902 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen: Fabulous photos and presented very well. Simply amazing 'on the wall' material. I also love the images where you have captured the shadows of people walking across the frame. (Interesting points on the RFF "Why Leica" thread as well )

Nico: I love the way the colors look in your images, not over saturated but deliciously rich. I love the second one (Reflections). Should you have been in the reflection as well, esp. from your position? Somehow, I am still to get the
colors to my liking, so will be grateful for any pointers.

Charlie: I like your commentary on the lenses. So, whats your take on the 90mm FL? Have you finalized on a particular lens? I'm on the lookout for a 90mm as well and then my travel kit will be complete (25, 35, 50, 90)

Joe: awesome BW with the 35FLE. Love the first and second...
Phil: I liked the ones with the 50rigid a couple of pages ago. Loved the one with the bulb and the glasses in the fountain.

Ron, yeah, I guess the model of shopping malls is pretty similar, but this one is the probably the closest to what you'd normally see near you. My logic was to shoot a couple of times in front of the "mall cops". If they don't raise an issue then I'll shoot till some objects. The objection was raised by the donut fellow :-/
I saw the photos where you have demonstrated the flare issue of the 90summarit. I guess it will be interesting to wedding or family photogs who would look to include the flare. Looks a lot like those kind of shots.

Charles: Nice one with the 50cron Rigid and thanks for sharing the PP tip. Love those GC photos. I love the way the water looks turquoise and has the shine from the light. Amazing.

Michael: Love those shots from China. I agree with Gary as it does look a lot like slide. China is one the place I'd like to visit, maybe in the next couple of years.Lovely last image.

Gary, I love those landscapes with the 90 and that exactly why I need a 90mm. I love the landscape I get from the 100MP so I need something similar in the M mount.

Katie, interesting shot, nice moment captured.

Whew... Long commentary there. I hope I've not missed out anyone. Some really great shots and I believe in taking time out to comment as there is so much to learn from each contribution.

Edited on Feb 18, 2014 at 03:27 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:24 PM
Manoj
• •
p.902 #10 · p.902 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Few humble shots, this time from a 'sniping' session in Jaipur.
All with the 50cron rigid. I hope the colors look ok. I'm still working to get the right formula..
There are quite a few shots where there is some purple/magenta colors in areas where you don't expect them. There are not from the equipment and existed on the location. Annoying and I am figuring a way out to remove them...

~ by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

Family photo by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

#4 I wish there was a better way to get around than a cycle rickshaw. Not a great way to make a living. I tried to get only the cycles in the frame with least other vehicles...

Cycle Rickshaws by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

Group Discussion by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

KatieInTexas
• • •
p.902 #11 · p.902 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks everyone for the comments. In the photo, my Dad was blowing out his candles in a bowl of banana pudding (he doesn't eat cake!).

Zhangyue, I use VSCO also, but only have 1 and 3. I have been looking at 4 for the slide film simulations, maybe I will bite the bullet and get it finally... thanks for the info; and you ARE that good. I will go back in the thread and read Ron's posts. He does fabulous color work, also (along with Muc Martin - yes, thanks for the compliment!)

Uhoh, I don't know how you can survive that cold ... I have been more miserable this winter than EVER before. You, too, Gary. Just looks so cold there. Don't you guys ever dream of moving to Hawaii?

I am very comfortable with B&W and prefer it; but am working on my color images. I like them tweaked just a bit - and know that I don't like overly bright images. From there; I am lost. Here are a few with the M-E and CV 35 1.2 from yesterday.

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:33 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.902 #12 · p.902 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Playing around with strobes and my newest acquisition. 4 light setup, I flagged out the flare after this shot, but ended up liking the effect.

M9 + 90 APO:

L1015140 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:35 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.902 #13 · p.902 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Katie - I like how your 1st shot turned out. It has a look of film in days gone by. I like how it turned out.

Manoj - the last shot has an interesting composition, with layering diamonds from ground level right up to the top level of the building. Really adds to the effectiveness instead of seeing the traditional square box look.

Joe - nice effect with a slumbering goose. The yellow beak really stands out. Typically ones eyes are drawn to red, but the in this shot I was drawn first to the yellow.

Ron - I like how you contrasted the golden light with the brown of the tree and the sky in your 3rd shot.

Charles - nice turquoise colors in the ocean waters. I really like the color you capture in the water contrasted to the rocks onshore.

zhangyue - Next shot of the silent water, nice colors makes me reflect on one of my favorite places to go shoot, Big Springs Provincial Park, but alas its winter here not much clear open water here.

Marek - nice cools color combinations and capturing the expedia sign on the building they all blens together well

Gary - I am never bored seeing pictures of Yellowstone. It is such a diverse beautiful place.

Ryan - Lovely effect with flare. I like it too.

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:52 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.902 #14 · p.902 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks everyone!

A couple more from the same outing:

First with the 21 SEM, second with the 50 Lux ASPH. I believe I used live view for both. The first to line up the composition and watch the three guys on the ice come through the frame - I also shot them once in the open between the trees, but they didn't stay lined up as nicely, so this one works better for me. For the second, live view/EVF was handy to watch the flare change as I slightly adjusted the composition with the sun at the edge of the frame. Like pretty much every 50 I've tried, the Lux ASPH will flare more easily than some wider angle lenses, though the 28 Cron behaves similarly.

Charles - great to see the coast through all seasons.
Mirek - like the balance and tones!
Michael - that location has a very interesting landscape. I'm sure it would be easy to spend hours exploring.
Phil - congrats on the lens. Hope it works for you. I should get around to using mine again as I really do like traditional Sonnar rendering.
Joe - that image really pops. The 120's background rendering is a bit stronger than I would have expected. BTW, the flare sample was the 90 Summarit. From what I recall of the TE 135, it can get fairly low contrast in backlit situations.
Manoj - thanks for the additional info. It could just be the typical reaction many have to say no first without much consideration. I really like the second image. Curious about the problem you mentioned...
Katie - great set! I don't think you need to worry much about your color work as these have a really nice natural feel. Thanks for your kind comments too. As for the cold... I do like it. I'd rather be in -10C than +30 and high humidity. Dressing properly is the key, IMO, otherwise it's misery. Biggest challenge to shooting in such conditions for me, is finger dexterity - keeping hands warm enough while still being able to use the equipment. That said, I have been to Hawaii a couple times and can definitely see the appeal. The temperature always seemed to be just right and comfortable while I was there (though it did downpour during the football game I shot...)
Ryan - the flare is interesting. Looks like something to keep in mind with the AA as well. You collect vintage sewing machines?
Thanks Robert - I was definitely trying to play up the colour contrast!

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:08 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.902 #15 · p.902 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Colors look great!

Manoj wrote:
Few humble shots, this time from a 'sniping' session in Jaipur.
All with the 50cron rigid. I hope the colors look ok. I'm still working to get the right formula..
There are quite a few shots where there is some purple/magenta colors in areas where you don't expect them. There are not from the equipment and existed on the location. Annoying and I am figuring a way out to remove them...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2880/12569626963_3e7eeca89f_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5497/12569628713_833a65c20d_b.jpg
Family photo by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7412/12569515155_9787764bfa_b.jpg

#4 I wish there was a better way to get around than a cycle rickshaw. Not
...Show more

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:39 PM
joakim
• • •
p.902 #16 · p.902 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Another attempt with shadows. M9 and 35 Lux

Feb 18, 2014 at 07:20 PM
leonasj
• •
p.902 #17 · p.902 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I see that rshafflers's images from M9 were far sharper than from m240,and now know,MAYBE, why some/many peoples returned back to M9 fromm240.maybe a good idea m9 with wide lens and A7r with tele...??

Feb 18, 2014 at 09:22 PM
najibs
• • •
p.902 #18 · p.902 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I have started a thread already, but figured I'd post here as well since all the Leica shooters are here.

Does anyone know where in the Toronto area I can rent a Leica M9 and a lens for a day?

I'm trying to convince my wife to allow me to sell our 5D MKIII and 1Ds MKII to buy a used Leica M9 and a lens or two. I know this won't be possible until I can get an M9 for her to try out with a nice Cron or Lux lens so she can see what the Leica fuss is all about. If anyone knows, please let me know...

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.902 #19 · p.902 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

leonasj wrote:
I see that rshafflers's images from M9 were far sharper than from m240,and now know,MAYBE, why some/many peoples returned back to M9 fromm240.maybe a good idea m9 with wide lens and A7r with tele...??

Well, not necessarily. For the last page or two, I turned off the sharpening option in the software I use for downsizing images because I felt the subject content - tree branches, etc. - was looking very crunchy when sharpening was applied.

At full resolution I believe the M240 files have somewhat better fine detail rendering because there seems to be less appearance of false detail, or aliasing. But the consequence is that the lack of aliasing gives the impression of lower sharpness.

Feb 19, 2014 at 04:28 AM
leonasj
• •
p.902 #20 · p.902 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

autumn,from jpeg zeiss 18/4 at F/4,no pp,only cropped

leonasj 2014

M9+Zeiss 18/4

leonasj 2014

M9+Zeiss 18/4

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:37 AM
1       2       3              901