1       2       3              900      
       902              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.901 #1 · p.901 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
Edward I don't always comment. I know I should but this thread moves sometimes really fast. It is my favorite thread on the net and has some of my favorite photographers participating. You are included in that.

Every time I get stuck I turn to one of these
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/L1016116_zps579b403a.jpg

or just pick up a book of Weston, Bresson, Ralph Gibson or Adams images...Even though my work isn't much like their work I still get inspired by their vision. And I come here..... I find inspiration from each and every one of you that post here.

Thank you Allen for the kind words and great advice. I should be reading more books from the great photographers. It used to help me a lot in the past.

May 02, 2014 at 05:33 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.901 #2 · p.901 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes!

Gary, I really appreciate your kind words! I totally love the outdoors and it makes me happy, If this passion get's translated in my pictures!

Rocky, the bigger version looks fantastic! The visual impression almost sucks you into the scene.

Allen, I really like your rotten place series! This is a very interesting genre and if I was without a dog, this would be a topic that I am interested in. But since my dog is a running machine and always want's action, they have to wait a bit longer.

Ceder, nice shot! I hope you continue to enjoy your M9, as for the color, I actually like them very much. But this is a matter of personal taste.

Nico, your architecture pictures are always very impressing! You really have a great eye to the details.

Katie, nice set! It must have been a great experience to witness the bisons crossing the river!

leonasj, nice to see you in person! Hopefully you got some fish this day.

May 02, 2014 at 05:54 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.901 #3 · p.901 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I'll echo with the same sentiment... This is very much one of the threads I check frequently. If I haven't been commenting much, it's not out of disinterest. Sometimes my mood is more for technical topics or discussions, or I'm distracted with work and other areas of life... I have to admit, the addition of the "like" feature has catered to my laziness at times as an effective alternative to commenting...

Katie - love these, especially the group shot.
Leonas - looks like you're getting along with the M?
Nico - wow - fantastic set! Love the fourth one in particular.
Allen - both sets blow my mind. At first I thought you made a trip to eastern Europe... when I saw the first image in the first Marktown set I thought it was somewhere in Germany... until the stop and street signs gave it away. But many of the other elements really do have that look. Now I'm really curious about this little community (having looked it up on wiki and some satellite photo explorations). Curious about how safe you felt there... reminds me too that I've been curious about Gary, Indiana... having seen the views passing by on the Toll Road...
ceder - congrats on the M9 and cool image! My suggestion is to be patient and experiment. The M9 doesn't deal well with blown highlights, so protecting them is pretty important if you intend to retain detail in that area. Shadows can be opened quite a lot, though sometimes banding creeps in.
Edward - I can sympathize... feeling somewhat unmotivated lately.

Not having shot all that much of interest lately, I'm going back through my backlog and just finished up the processing of these images from the 'great ice storm' we had just before Christmas. Our area wasn't as seriously affected as some other, but it was still pretty spectacular in some areas, and good for photos too... So, on Christmas Eve, went out for a drive to see what I could find, armed with an RX1 and a7R with 55/1.8 and Canon EF adapter courtesy of a contact at Sony... and also the M9. Started off shooting a lot with the a7R, but slowly the M9 crept in to the mix. Then a couple hours later as the light waned and it got really cold, the a7R stopped working (battery - only had one), so I continued happily with the M9.

A bit different from some of the springtime photos we're now seeing...

M9 & 50 Lux ASPH, probably all between f/2-2.8

May 02, 2014 at 06:01 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.901 #4 · p.901 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, they gorgeous, in particular 1,2 and 4!

May 02, 2014 at 06:12 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.901 #5 · p.901 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Peter!

A couple more of frozen signs with the same combo as above...

I think the second was at or pretty close to wide open. The first probably around f/2.8

May 02, 2014 at 06:26 PM
ceder
• •
p.901 #6 · p.901 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the tips and comments guys! Yes, I noticed that the highlights should be protected, and actually the colours are great as long as the ISO is low and outdoors. High ISO, I am not so bothered by the noise, but the colours and or dynamic range seems to go quickly.
Here is another shot, with the ZM 28/2.8. Not seen anyone using it - good wide open close, but very bad at infinity at 2.8 in the corners, but at 5.6 it is superb! Shot wide open here...

Into the sun by c e d e r, on Flickr

May 02, 2014 at 06:45 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.901 #7 · p.901 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Jens - yes, color can get somewhat splotchy as the ISO increases. Not sure how much you've been reading, but one of the discussions from a while ago was to leave the ISO at 160 and shoot for that ISO as much as possible. But if it's too low, instead of increasing the ISO, just set the shutter speed and aperture you need, then push the image in post.

Some of the research by others has shown that there is virtually no advantage to increasing ISO in-camera as opposed to pushing files in post. One of the more detailed examinations determined that it's pretty much a wash until ISO 640, so you could change ISO in camera, or leave it alone and push. But after ISO 640, there was discernible advantage to leaving the camera set to 640 and pushing in post. Naturally this only works with DNGs and will also mean the LCD preview will be underexposed, making image review potentially difficult.

My experience with the M9 at higher ISOs is that color will still be good up to the ISO 640 range, and pushed a stop or so in post, if the light quality is decent... meaning, clean, good color spectrum light. Where the M9 seems to have some trouble compared to more mainstream offerings is in mixed light.

Regarding the ZM28: I've tried it, and thought it was pretty typical of Zeiss contrast with great central sharpness. But as you noted, edge sharpness requires some stopping down. Likely a great reportage style lens. For my interests, I wanted something that was potentially a better technical performer across the frame. And there really aren't that many 28mm offerings for rangefinders, at least compared to 35mm and 50mm. It seems most end up with one of the two from Leica... as I did.

OT, but regarding the sale of Truesense (M9/MM/ME/S sensor manufacturer) to ON Semi - looks like it's gone through: http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.ca/2014/05/on-semi-closes-truesense-acquisition.html

May 02, 2014 at 06:57 PM
tophoto.
• •
p.901 #8 · p.901 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron I love the blues in those images, makes me miss winter already. Wanted too confirm what you were saying about pushing the files, I have had good success with doing just that, though I tend to top out at 800. The DNG's under decent light as you said have a lot of flexibility.

Edit: Might as well start off the first post of the page with some photos

Flags and Speaches - May Day Seattle 2014 by Thomas O'Connell, on Flickr

Deporter in Chief - May Day Seattle 2014 by Thomas O'Connell, on Flickr

Part of the croud watching the speakers - May Day Seattle 2014 by Thomas O'Connell, on Flickr

May 02, 2014 at 07:18 PM
ceder
• •
p.901 #9 · p.901 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the info Scheffler! I will try the max ISO 640, and push in post. Just looking at ISO 800 images, the noise (and sharpness) looks fine to me. But the white balance is hard to fix!
Must say I am surprised how easy it is to get focus spot on with the VM 50/1.5. With the Fuji, I had to zoom in, then zoom out, and people sometimes move during the zoom out. What is your experience with the A7/A7r?

rscheffler wrote:
Jens - yes, color can get somewhat splotchy as the ISO increases. Not sure how much you've been reading, but one of the discussions from a while ago was to leave the ISO at 160 and shoot for that ISO as much as possible. But if it's too low, instead of increasing the ISO, just set the shutter speed and aperture you need, then push the image in post.

Some of the research by others has shown that there is virtually no advantage to increasing ISO in-camera as opposed to pushing files in post. One of the more detailed examinations
...Show more

May 02, 2014 at 07:39 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.901 #10 · p.901 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice work all. One from a bog near my house....

Nikkor 10.5cm f/2.5 ltm

May 02, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mitch Alland
• •
p.901 #11 · p.901 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ceder wrote:
...I will try the max ISO 640, and push in post...

The details of this technique are discussed in this thread, of which post #31 on page 2 lists the suggested steps for shooting and processing.

MITCH ALLAND/Potomac, MD
Download links for book project pdf files
Chiang Tung Days
Tristes Tropiques
Bangkok Hysteria
Paris au rythme de Basquiat and Other Poems

May 03, 2014 at 02:46 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.901 #12 · p.901 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ceder wrote:
Thanks for the info Scheffler! I will try the max ISO 640, and push in post. Just looking at ISO 800 images, the noise (and sharpness) looks fine to me. But the white balance is hard to fix!
Must say I am surprised how easy it is to get focus spot on with the VM 50/1.5. With the Fuji, I had to zoom in, then zoom out, and people sometimes move during the zoom out. What is your experience with the A7/A7r?

I only had the a7r for a couple weeks, and actually didn't use it very much because I was kind of turned off by it. It's a technically fine camera. Awesome sensor and the FE55 is also excellent.... but I simply found it got too much in the way of shooting fluidly. I found some of the dials were very annoying to use, because the clicks were very soft. And the animation that shows setting changes is a fraction of a second behind what you're actually at with the dials. Consequently I often found myself overshooting the setting I wanted. And since it was winter, it was somewhat difficult to manipulate some of the dials and buttons with relatively thin gloves... I was constantly having to pay a lot of attention to what I was doing when changing settings, which was distracting, at least for me.

As far as focusing was concerned, I thought the EVF was pretty good and I could fairly consistently hit correct focus without having to use magnified view, at least with faster, longer lenses fairly wide open. I'm not a big fan of focus peaking due to the false positives I've experienced... where it's telling me focus will be OK, but it's actually outside the depth of field. I would be more enthusiastic about an a7 style camera if its UI was more along the lines of a decent Canon DSLR, like a downsized 1 series. From this kind of camera I'm not expecting, nor necessarily wanting a lot of analog settings, contrary to the M cameras. But for me at least, it needs to be designed in a way that's fluid and intuitive to handle.

You should find rangefinder focusing to be very quick, easy and precise. No need to press buttons to toggle views and distract from the shooting flow. Sure, you're limited to center only, but the rangefinder patch doesn't distract from seeing the scene and composition. And the lenses aren't focus by wire either, meaning the feel and precision of focus will be excellent. Plus they have actual, accurate distance scales to facilitate focus preset and hyperfocal shooting.

M9 color can be peculiar in mixed lighting. I find I'm frequently shifting the hue sliders in Lightroom. For skin tone I often shift the orange and yellow sliders to the left, between -5 to -10. Sometimes the red slider a bit to the right, say to about 5. This will somewhat smooth out color blotchiness of skin tones. I'll often also pull back on yellow saturation, especially artificial lights conditions that tend towards sickly yellow skin tone. Only problem with this in people photos is it can mess with blonde hair, shifting it towards gray. In mixed lighting can also result in purple/magenta skin tone casts. These can be difficult to eliminate and depend on the white balance you choose. Sometimes sliding the magenta hue slider all the way to the right will also help.

M9 & 50 Lux ASPH

May 03, 2014 at 05:57 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.901 #13 · p.901 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
...M9 color can be peculiar in mixed lighting...

Ron, beautiful ice shots — now where is the ice maiden?

While the color can be peculiar, sometimes it can be beautiful. Alex Webb, in a recent video on his shooting a market in Korea (available on Youtube), states that he likes the ambers and blues that the M9 produces when shooting in a mixture of daylight and tungsten. Also, in processing night shots people often, in my view, try to neutralize colors, particularly skin tones, too much and some pictures end up as if they were not shot at night or start approaching the look of surveillance videos.

Below are a few M9 shots from the thread linked above on Shooting with ISO 640 and pushing in Lightroom 5. The first picture below is an extreme example, shot with some strong red LED-lights in the foreground and strong blue LED-lights in the background. The other shots are lit mainly by fluorescent lights. While indoor fluorescent lights, as in shopping centers, can produce very ugly, flat light, fluorescent lights in dark night scenes can produce beautiful light.( Indeed, someone told me that there are ciné-shooting lights called something like Flo-Klos.")

NOTE: The labels below indicate how many stops the shots below were pushed in Lightroom 5

Leica M9-P | Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 4 stops on main subject | f/4.0 | 1/60 sec
Hua Hin

Leica M9-P | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 2 stops on main subject | f/2.8 | 1/45 sec
Bangkok

Leica M9-P | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.15 stops | f/2.8 | 1/60 sec
Bangkok

Leica M9-P | Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 2.4 stops | f/2.0 | 1/60 sec
Bangkok

Leica M9-P | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 2.5 stops | f/2.0 | 1/180 sec
Bangkok

MITCH ALLAND/Potomac, MD
Chiang Tung Days
Tristes Tropiques
Bangkok Hysteria

May 03, 2014 at 08:41 AM
ceder
• •
p.901 #14 · p.901 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Mitch, thanks for the link!

I have been pushing the Fuji files as well before, it saves blown highlights, but one sacrify the darker shadows. And as your examples show, this technique is very good in lamp-lit night scenes!

Mitch Alland wrote:
The details of this technique are discussed in this thread, of which post #31 on page 2 lists the suggested steps for shooting and processing.

MITCH ALLAND/Potomac, MD
Chiang Tung Days
Tristes Tropiques
Bangkok Hysteria

May 03, 2014 at 10:29 AM
ceder
• •
p.901 #15 · p.901 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Scheffler, very nice photos!
Yes, rangefinder focusing is fun. However, if you think you can focus correctly without magnified view with the A7r, it sounds pretty good given the sensor in the A7r... But if you have the M 240, maybe there is no reason to use the A7/A7r? But if you had to choose between an M9 or an A7r, which one would you choose (if you only shoot 50mm and narrower)?
Camera choice is so hard...
rscheffler wrote:
I only had the a7r for a couple weeks, and actually didn't use it very much because I was kind of turned off by it. It's a technically fine camera. Awesome sensor and the FE55 is also excellent.... but I simply found it got too much in the way of shooting fluidly. I found some of the dials were very annoying to use, because the clicks were very soft. And the animation that shows setting changes is a fraction of a second behind what you're actually at with the dials.

As far as focusing was concerned, I thought the EVF
...Show more

May 03, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.901 #16 · p.901 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ceder wrote:
...Camera choice is so hard...

Nej, det är lätt...It's easy, as long as it's the M9

When I was shooting with the Ricoh GXR M-Module, I found I didn't at all like focus peaking at all. Also its color rendition was only to my liking when I used Raw Photo Processor (RPP) as raw developer, but I had to work tediously on each photo that I cared about. As I've written elsewhere, the M9 color rendition is unique. As I've written several times on other forums, what pushed me over the fence to decide on the M9-P in February 2013 (besides the great price I was able to get) was a statement by Charles Peterson, a Seattle photographer who had showed me his personal color work that I found to be outstanding: he wrote that the he felt that the color rendition of the M9 was more like that of color slide film while that of CMOS-sensor cameras was more like that of color negative film — and that is also what I saw in his personal color work. He also wrote the following, which I think is spot-on: I do think that the higher ISO's on the M9 are vastly underrated, and in general much prefer the image quality of the M9 to the M240. The M9 (and Monochrom by de facto) IMO are truly two of the most unique digital cameras out there when it comes to the quality of the image. Not the "best" on paper but they have a look, an "umami" as the Japanese might say, that no other 35mm digital camera comes close to.

Of course all this, having to do with color rendition, is a matter of taste.

MITCH ALLAND/Potomac, MD
Chiang Tung Days
Tristes Tropiques
Bangkok Hysteria

Edited on May 03, 2014 at 12:44 PM · View previous versions

May 03, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Carsten_R

p.901 #17 · p.901 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

After my A7R honeymoon, I had again fun with the MM and Apo50

May 03, 2014 at 01:10 PM
tophoto.
• •
p.901 #18 · p.901 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Carsten_R wrote:
After my A7R honeymoon, I had again fun with the MM and Apo50

You have my dream digital kit, I love the rendering of the apo on the mono. Nice shots, very medium format like.

May 03, 2014 at 02:06 PM
Carsten_R

p.901 #19 · p.901 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

tophoto. wrote:
[
... very medium format like.

Thanks :-) The first one is stitched from five landscape format shots - really kind of MF look when you see the original file. Nice to have a light weight Pentax or Hassy for a walk...

May 03, 2014 at 02:19 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.901 #20 · p.901 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks everyone!

Mitch, great examples!

The ice maiden was shot on the RX1 and a7R I was also trying out that day... Plus, she's averse to online appearances...

I agree about mixed light skin tones and want to add it will also depend on personal and possibly client expectations. A lot of the times when I'm shooting in such conditions, it's event type coverage and I generally want to supply the client with pleasant, normal looking skin tones, if possible. This is when the M9 can be a bit difficult. It's pretty much a given that with theatrical style lighting (strong color gels, or equivalent), that it's like that for the effect and trying to correct in post is often futile.

BTW, the lights you're thinking of are Kino Flo.

Carsten - very rich images and I particularly like the first one. I'd love to have some time with the 50AA...
Thomas - I've enjoyed your May 1st series!
Gary - looks like it's starting to green a bit in your area. Same here, finally...

ceder wrote:
Scheffler, very nice photos!
Yes, rangefinder focusing is fun. However, if you think you can focus correctly without magnified view with the A7r, it sounds pretty good given the sensor in the A7r... But if you have the M 240, maybe there is no reason to use the A7/A7r? But if you had to choose between an M9 or an A7r, which one would you choose (if you only shoot 50mm and narrower)?
Camera choice is so hard...

Thanks! With the a7R, it's going to be more difficult to nail wider angle lenses without magnifying the view. At 36MP, let alone 18 or 24, accurate wide angle focus can be very critical. With wides it's often the situation where focus peaking floods the entire scene with distracting peaking color implying good focus anywhere, when that's really often not the case...

As for M9 vs. a7R, I would have to ask "for what applications?"

If it's a camera for everything I do, then I'll opt for the 1DX, which I currently use alongside the M cameras. But if it's for day to day personal and casual shooting, I would go with the M9 and give up the modern sensor in exchange for a simpler, easier, faster, and for me, more intuitive shooting experience. Funny thing is, when I'm out with the M9 or M240, I'm often seeing and shooting at 50mm and wider. 90mm is about the least used of my 'regular kit' lenses that I bring along. Therefore, I don't feel I miss the use of longer lenses very often.

I think the M240 effectively bridges the technological divide between the M9 and a7 series, giving me live view for those times when I might want more precise framing, or the ability to confirm focus... So far I haven't felt compelled to adapt longer lenses to it, though I could. It also brings some UI improvements over the M9 that are relevant to my style of shooting, but maybe not to others.

For this kind of casual shooting, and also some of my paid work, I really value the compactness of the M system. While the a7 series cameras are quite small (I find them too small for their style of UI and would prefer something slightly larger), the lenses will not be that much different from DSLR lenses. Currently Sony is trying to keep lens size in check with slower zooms, but once the faster primes start to appear, I suspect they'll be fairly large and very similar to current DSLR options. Compare the Leica 21/3.4 against the Zeiss 21/2.8 (which I was thinking of getting before I got into Leica, but decided against it in part due to size and weight). Or a 28/2, 35/2, 35/1.4.... etc... the M glass is all a lot smaller and optically excellent. While the camera is a factor, my considerations lately have been more inclusive of factors, such as size, weight, optical quality, than was maybe the case 10-20 years ago. Back then the systems I used were more driven by specific performance gains at the expense of other, broader considerations.

Some more from the ice storm... this is around the time when the a7R packed it in... just as the light was getting interesting:

All M9 & 50 Lux ASPH

May 03, 2014 at 04:15 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password