Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              891      
       893              1061       1062       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.892 #1 · p.892 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Edward, so decided on M9 or A7 or both? Glad they gave you a loaner camera. I bet you by the time users amass a set of useful FE lenses for the Sony A7/R, they would have shelved the idea of FE mount and moved to a Sony B series and new mount

Hi Joe, not yet, still undecided. The loaner they gave me is overexposing by 1.5 stops, so while it is easy to compensate, it doesn't really help my lack of confidence with Leica. I have yet to see any M body that does not have a couple of problems that shouldn't be there.

I have to say that I really enjoy shooting with the M9 but let's not kid ourself, the A7 is miles ahead in IQ. I also realize that I will take the A7 whenever I have something important to shoot.

I think I will keep both, one for pure spartan pleasure, and the other to take pictures

I know it's really bad form to talk like that in a Leica thread, but I count on your tolerance and sense of humor

Feb 09, 2014 at 06:44 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.892 #2 · p.892 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great to hear you are enoying the A7 Ed. You have been posting some really nice pics. I suppose it all comes down to what personal needs you may have. IQ is subjective and I have yet to see anything from the A7r which rivals the output from the M240. Have you entertained trying out the M240 to see if it fits your needs? I have owned mine for well over a year with not a single problem. I'm sure there will be the odd glitch here and there but so far, so good. I have been down that path before where I buy the latest thing and it doesn't live up to all the mega-hype experienced in the forums. For me, photography is mostly about enjoyment and that is where nothing beats the M series. I tried the A7 the other day (again) and it just doesn't feel good in the hands and using an EVF is a terrible experience for me. Add to that, the fact that I would need to use very big lenses like the 55/1.8 to get the performance I need. Also, I love RF lenses and the A7 is so finicky with wider lenses. All in all, the A7 is a good start but far too many compromises for me to add one to my kit. However, if I had a lot of issues with my Leica it may cause me to ponder the situation even more….

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:11 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.892 #3 · p.892 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sorry guys for the rant!

Edward, after buying into Sony (A99 setups) as a last ditch attempt I've really fallen out of love with DSLRs, truly. I don't mind the A7 and 55FE it's quite fun, but it does bother me the same way the A99 bothers me. Unlike Canon and Nikon, Sony doesn't feel like a camera, the way the electronics work, the formatting the startup times, the write and preview times really make Sony feel electronic. Honestly speaking if it weren't for the ZA lenses I don't think the Sony DSLR kit would have lasted a month. Sony in handling and navigation etc is IMHO slower and less intuitive then Leica. Now don't get me wrong, Sony just works, no bugs (other then my F60M overheating after 20 shots while still cold to the touch, and needing to restarted), and hasn't let me down, but it is slower in operation then the M240.

The problem for me with Leica is the lack of support. Customer service is poor, service/repairs are slow, and the rangefinder as a contraption is and will always be temperamental (to the point where you'd get unusable images).. Add that to the fact that Leica cannot seem to get bugs worked out, and they're always running into problems with manufacturing.. It makes it a scary system to consider using professionally.

Now in an ideal world where I get to make some of the rules I'd love for Leica to team up with someone competent to continue to make rangefinder cameras. But I'd like them to add a EVF non-rangefinder camera to there lineup even at the same price as the M240. Something with the exact same ergonomics as the M240 but with better EVF and faster more reliable electronics. I'd probably own two M240 cameras and two of those little gems.. However, since that's not going to happen anytime soon, I do have to admit although I'm annoyed by the ergonomics and speed problems with Sony and the A7, it is quite a useful backup to the M240 and it really has given me the courage to accept the possibility of a future for me without DSLRS.

The way I see it, if I run around with two M240 cameras each with a prime, and I keep a RX1r and A7+55FE+M-adapter in my bag, I really wouldn't have much to fear if one of the M cameras started giving me problems.

So yes, long story short, I do think it's a good idea to run a M9 and an A7. Let's just hope Zeiss brings out a few more AF primes that are worth a damn.

Feb 09, 2014 at 08:27 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.892 #4 · p.892 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

p890
Rocky, thanks Stunning rain forest images with the M8 I have walked those tracks and the area is just beautiful.

p891
Gary, thanks #1 the shot of the boats is superb! Love the capture in YNP. Beautiful tonality and seeing the sulfur, seeping through the limestone structure. I swear the 21 SEM on the M240 brings out tones that you cannot see otherwise
Adrian, nice set!
Phil, love the images with the 24 SEM and the M-M. Great range of smooth tones throughout!
Charlie, very nice! The 50 Cron is a great lens, just a very quiet achiever, while there are so many other lenses with high micro contrast this lens is amazing. Love the ability to shoot this lens at f/2.0 and nail the focus easily, yet have a gentle roll off.
Joe, wonderful shots!!! No more gear please, or temptations

Edward, I completely understand your take. I don't think you have to choose either/or, but funds permitting the A7/A7r is a nice compliment with the FE 55/35 to the M9, and my case the M240's. My feelings have tempered somewhat, and there is a place for both. The M240's are serious photographer's tool, ease and just works with 5 decades of lenses. Not only M, but others like the R, now the R to M mount is readily available.

The A7/A7r's have yet to prove themselves, as there only two really FE lenses, the FE 55 and 35. The FE 55 is superb, and worthy just to have this lens on the A7r alone!! I did have on order the FE 24-70/f/4.0 and cancelled it on Friday, as it had just come into stock that afternoon. I did not see the point having a mediocre ZE 24-70/f4, twice as large as my other lenses. Sony will need to introduce some seriously good Zeiss prime lenses, other than the FE 55, otherwise this camera will end being a white elephant or novelty item. I see on the road map within 6 months, the Zeiss FE 35 f/1.4 and the 24 f/2.0. This will be great when it eventuates.

I sold my RX1r last week, as I see no point in having 3 systems while traveling. Two sets of batteries and chargers is more than enough. It was Marisa, my fiancee that preferred the A7r with the FE 35 (her camera) over the RX1r, so the decision was easy. Not surprisingly she find the ergonomics of the A7r/FE 35 a lot better than the RX1r.

Adam, I completely agree, the service turn around for the calibration for the RF for the M240 is unacceptable!!! The The M9 is only about 2 days. Being a mechanical device, there will always be a need for calibration, but I will admit the RF accuracy is much better with the M240. If the local centers could calibrate the M240's this would not be an issue for me.

Gary, the M240 is excellent, and I have only had one issue of recalibrating the RF after 3 months, taking 6 weeks in Solms. Having the ability to use a EVF, the Oly 2 has been a huge bonus. I do hope they update the firmware soon, to accept the Oly 4 EVF.

Feb 09, 2014 at 10:57 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.892 #5 · p.892 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I'm in a gear whirlwind right now, shooting with a MM, M9, A7 and RX1. I don't want to sell any of them, and will be doing my best to hang onto them all.

MM + Nikkor 8mm 2.8 fisheye:

L1012381-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1012424-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1012366-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM
atwl77
• •
p.892 #6 · p.892 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam -- Since there have not been any new firmware updates, I suspect M240 problems still exist for whoever is/was experiencing them. Now that I think about it, my issues could also be card-related; the 16GB Sandisk UHS 95mb/s card was the same one that I had occasional purple previews a while back while I don't recall ever seeing anything happen with my current 32GB one (touch wood).

Phil -- Enjoyed your buildings+skies with the MM, great detail and tones.

Gary -- Nice landscape!

uhoh7 -- First thought that came to my mind when I saw that bald guy was, "is that Steve Huff?" :-D though looking again, I guesss not.

Joe -- I'm envious, the weather is hot! hot! hot! over here now, and you guys are still enjoying snow over there.

Ryan -- Great fisheyes! Not something you normally see on the M.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:49 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.892 #7 · p.892 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

@ryan love those fisheye shots! wow!

@phil, more really nice stuff. Love that "Dragon Marsh" Everyone in my recent B&W shots are locals. 'Bald Guy' I've known for 30 years

Joe, you show what a nice lens the summarit 35 is

Gary, you keep reminding me about that time bomb caldera 150 miles east In just the last few months it's become clear the magma chambers are far larger than previously thought. Nice work

I don't have a nocti, but I have a CV 50/1.1 and I was testing calibration today:

L1003433-2 by unoh7, on Flickr
CV 50/1.1 @1.1

L1003494 by unoh7, on Flickr
CV 75/2.5

L1003480 by unoh7, on Flickr
CV 35/2.5

L1003468 by unoh7, on Flickr
CV 21/4
Long live voigtlander!!!

These four lenses could be bought today for less than one Leica 28 Elmarit asph

the 21/35/75 makes a super x/country set.

Feb 10, 2014 at 02:23 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.892 #8 · p.892 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, Adam, Charles, thanks a lot for your comments. They are very helpful and enlightening.

Both systems have pros and cons. To mention only the cons, Leica's are price, unreliability, unavailability. While price, reliability and availability are actually Sony's strengths, the cons are also serious: no glass, problem with wides, both currently and in the future as the 24-70 weaknesses at the wide end do not bode well for future design.

So Leicas have frequent problems, they need occasional trips to Germany (and more than occasional to the local repairman), if you're not wealthy enough to keep back up bodies, you'll end up with no camera for a few months. It is exactly for this reason that I bought the A7. My camera was being sent for sensor change 1 month before Christmas, with no return date, and no back up. And that is what I think is the A7 strength, I can buy one anywhere, get it fixed locally in Thailand, and it's so cheap I can just throw one in the garbage every 6 months and buy the latest model.

So I will keep both (when I receive the M9 back) but I don't think I will upgrade to a Leica M 240 anytime soon, especially that it has its fair share of problems. To be fair, Leica has redeemed itself as fas as I'm concerned by fixing my camera faster than expected (it's on the way) and by providing me with a loaner (though 2 months late). I have to give them credit for that, despite everything.

Feb 10, 2014 at 02:37 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.892 #9 · p.892 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Gary, Adam, Charles, thanks a lot for your comments. They are very helpful and enlightening.

Both systems have pros and cons. To mention only the cons, Leica's are price, unreliability, unavailability. While price, reliability and availability are actually Sony's strengths, the cons are also serious: no glass, problem with wides, both currently and in the future as the 24-70 weaknesses at the wide end do not bode well for future design.

So Leicas have frequent problems, they need occasional trips to Germany (and more than occasional to the local repairman), if you're not wealthy enough to keep back up bodies,
...Show more

Hilarious after our bickering we both end up with same camera set In the end you were right about the Sony sensors--but I had to see it for myself I never would have predicted you would be shooting the A7 so much---and very well too.

I am over the moon about my M9, love it more today than ever. Easy to ski with, fast to shoot, and it brings home the goods like nothing I've ever owned

PS My heart stopped sat, was shooting the kids on the chair and I reviewed to see all white frame. OMG I broke it already!! Not quite: it seems those teutons put the "B" right next to the "A"! Of course, a lock on the dial would be too complex, I guess.

Edited on Feb 10, 2014 at 06:14 AM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2014 at 03:47 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.892 #10 · p.892 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ryankarr wrote:
I'm in a gear whirlwind right now, shooting with a MM, M9, A7 and RX1. I don't want to sell any of them, and will be doing my best to hang onto them all.

MM + Nikkor 8mm 2.8 fisheye:

Very cool

Feb 10, 2014 at 03:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.892 #11 · p.892 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan - about time you dusted off that fisheye again. You get such cool results with it! Not too many shooting a Leica with a fisheye. Have you trained your boy to keep an eye on me while at work??
Edward - I think Charles hit the nail on the head. Why choose between either system - just have both! What problems are you referring to with the M240? Mine has been rock solid (knocking on wood). I know at some point something will go wrong but I am ok with that. They are indeed quirky but well worth it.
Charlie - liking the winter shots. Nice truck!

A few more from Mammoth…. I don't think I have ever had such an incredible performing setup as the M240 + 21SEM.

21SEM

21SEM

21SEM

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:01 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.892 #12 · p.892 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:

I see on the road map within 6 months, the Zeiss FE 35 f/1.4 and the 24 f/2.0. This will be great when it eventuates.

I sold my RX1r last week, as I see no point in having 3 systems while traveling. Two sets of batteries and chargers is more than enough. It was Marisa, my fiancee that preferred the A7r with the FE 35 (her camera) over the RX1r, so the decision was easy. Not surprisingly she find the ergonomics of the A7r/FE 35 a lot better than the RX1r.

Adam, I completely agree, the service turn around for
...Show more

Is the 35 and 24 confirmed? And are they autofocus?

I didn't realize the RX1r takes different batteries and has a different interface/menu... Crap!

I even asked Leica Singapore how much it would cost me to buy a calibration machine, they told me $100,000+ which I think was a random out of there ass type number, but it obviously stopped me from thinking I could do my own calibrations.

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:10 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.892 #13 · p.892 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:

So Leicas have frequent problems, they need occasional trips to Germany (and more than occasional to the local repairman), if you're not wealthy enough to keep back up bodies,
...Show more

Leica rents camera gear here, but refuses to give me a loaner as they don't have any to give (but again, will rent me the gear if I pay).

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:14 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.892 #14 · p.892 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
PS My heart stopped sat, was shooting the kids on the chair and I reviewed to see all white frame. OMG I broke it already!! Not quite: it seems those teutons put the "B" right next to the "A"! Of course, a lock on the dial would be to complex, I guess.

Haha, you know, they don't even need a dial lock. Just the ability to see the shutter in the finder window while on M mode.

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:17 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.892 #15 · p.892 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
Hilarious after our bickering we both end up with same camera set In the end you were right about the Sony sensors--but I had to see it for myself I never would have predicted you would be shooting the A7 so much---and very well too.

I am over the moon about my M9, love it more today than ever. Easy to ski with, fast to shoot, and it brings home the goods like nothing I've ever owned

PS My heart stopped sat, was shooting the kids on the chair and I reviewed to see all white frame. OMG I
...Show more

I know Charlie, you are like St Thomas, you need to put your finger in the wound in order to believe

As I have told you before, the reason to use an A7 is the native lenses as I have not had much hope for a Leica style sensor toppings.

The FE 55 and 35 are stellar but the FL is not a difficult one. I would like to see what Zeiss does in the 24 range. It's not going to be easy.

As for the M9, it is a greatly enjoyable camera. I love shooting it and will definitely keep it waiting to see what happens with Sony (last I heard they were bankrupt).

Be careful though, it is a very sensitive instrument no matter how solid it feels and does not like to be bumped around.

Thanks for the compliments btw, greatly appreciated

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:17 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.892 #16 · p.892 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, superb set!!! Beautiful range of colors and tones

adamdewilde wrote:
Is the 35 and 24 confirmed? And are they autofocus?

I didn't realize the RX1r takes different batteries and has a different interface/menu... Crap!

I even asked Leica Singapore how much it would cost me to buy a calibration machine, they told me $100,000+ which I think was a random out of there ass type number, but it obviously stopped me from thinking I could do my own calibrations.

I re read the Sony Lens map, and this may not be correct about the FE 35/1.4 and 24/2!! For now I am happy with the 24 Lux, 35 Lux/FE 35 FE 55, 75 Lux, so I am fine for now. Definitely no mediocre bulky zoom...for now

Speaking to Wayne from Camera Clinic, the cost of the calibration machine for the M240 is very expensive, as you have mentioned, so I think most places for now will outsource to Solms.

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:24 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.892 #17 · p.892 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, I was specifically referring to the strap eyelet issue (still occurring reportedly), high iso banding, stuck pixel columns that need permanent remapping (it seems this is a serious problem as adjacent columns will eventually be stuck, and Leica keeps on remapping them, causing aliasing problems), over heating problem causing lock ups, especially in LV mode.

Adam, Leica Singapore is really confusing. The latest I heard is that they're just a private company hired by Leica to do the repairs, sort of like agents. They are not really Leica staff.

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:25 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.892 #18 · p.892 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Gary, superb set!!! Beautiful range of colors and tones

I re read the Sony Lens map, and this may not be correct about the FE 35/1.4 and 24/2!! For now I am happy with the 24 Lux, 35 Lux/FE 35 FE 55, 75 Lux, so I am fine for now. Definitely no mediocre bulky zoom...for now

Speaking to Wayne from Camera Clinic, the cost of the calibration machine for the M240 is very expensive, as you have mentioned, so I think most places for now will outsource to Solms.

Charles, my info from my sources is 85/1.8 and 16-35/4 planned for 2014. No other ZA lenses are planned before 2015. Usually my sources have always been right.

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:28 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.892 #19 · p.892 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward. I guess I am a bit out of touch with some of these issues. I had the strap lugs done but nothing else. I think some of those other issues are very isolated and likely a select group who like to nitpick. Kinda like when everyone was blowing the WB issues out of proportion…. M240 is really such a great camera.

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:30 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.892 #20 · p.892 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Charles, my info from my sources is 85/1.8 and 16-35/4 planned for 2014. No other ZA lenses are planned before 2015. Usually my sources have always been right.

16-35mm would be a great FL on the A7….

Feb 10, 2014 at 04:31 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password