Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              888      
       890              941       942       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

muc_marlin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.889 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

thanks for the comments and likes!

rirakuma, I am still in Lapland and have about 8 days left. Just had yesterday a lazy day on a camp site where I am was able to get a internet connection. Regarding the motivation, I really love Lapland but the weather here is always one of the biggest problems for someone who likes to photograph. My vacations are always 4 to 5 weeks and I think I am not overdoing it when I say thad one third of that time reaches from excellent to just o.k.. The rest is weather I wouldn't go out to do long day or multiple day hikes, but here it isn't just about the pictures, it's the hole journey what makes it so exciting! I have more intense memories on days where I didn't take a single picture, because of the some times very extreme weather. On a vacation like this I get probably only 50 to 100 pics that I will keep. Friends of me who makes photo tours in Africa, the take 10 thousands of pics from landscapes and animals! For me it's maybe 600 to1000 pics.

Today I am leaving the camp site and I am very undecided what to do, because of the bad weather. Probably I am driving to Tromsö/ Norway, stay there for 3-4 days and after that I have to see that I get back home to Munich.

Feb 02, 2014 at 07:07 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.889 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Hilmar - yes, I'm leaning that way...
Phil - thanks, love the Nocti!
Charlie - thanks, yes, I've given this a fair amount of consideration. Great punch again in your images.
Peter - I was thinking about you today... not sure why, maybe just hadn't seen you around lately (though I've also been absent). These are spectacular! Re: 28 Cron - yes, edge color shift. I get green corners in the bottom of the frame. Seems you're in much more difficult conditions than I was in last week when the camera was locking up... What are you doing with regard to your batteries? Thinking about this more and it's likely my problem is related to old, worn batteries and not having the benefit of the better power management features of the latest firmware version. I was out again yesterday, this time it was only around freezing and snowing. Lots of accumulation on the camera but it was always melting. No lock up problems (also used my newest battery)... but after a few hours was having some trouble with viewfinder condensation and currently there's condensation in the rangefinder window... Not the first time I've had viewfinder condensation problems. It always seems to be in near freezing, damp conditions.
Nico - love these! Seems it doesn't matter what camera you're using, your eye for composition is very consistent.
Gary - interesting place - seems almost fluid.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:34 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.889 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for all the comments and likes all

Phil

M w/Nocti 1f w/ND .9 and various PP experimenting

Feb 02, 2014 at 04:54 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.889 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

M w/Nocti 1f

Edited on Feb 02, 2014 at 07:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2014 at 05:46 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.889 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Phil - very nice. I like your subtle PP of B&W images.
Peter - wow! That looks like such a great place to photograph. I'm sure the cold weather is a challenge but it is worth it. Great pics! Looking forward to more.
Charlie - Good to see you got some more snow. That dog pic is cute.
Nicholas - Nice set. Really liking the contrasty PP style on these.

Feb 02, 2014 at 07:26 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.889 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, amazing sequence of the leaf in the ice! I love the simplicity of the abstract of the shot in snow
Ron, I do think if you had the chance to test the M240 for about a week, and hopefully no outside issues, you would gel with it.
With the regards to the ergonomics of the A7r, yes it is a love/hate relationship, but with practice it is excellent. I have found I have relegated the A7r to the FE 55 and 35, 95% of the time for now, and only using the 50 Cron DR, 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 75 Lux as needed. For casual functions, the A7r and 55 comes with me, in preference to the RX1r or the M240. It will be interesting to see how Sony plays its middle and end game here, because if they do not follow up with a serious strategic flow of high quality fast lenses, they will lose the core of serious photographers who will then invest in other systems!

Phil, great images! p888, love that classic shot p889, love the light and shadow play in #3!!
Charlie, excellent sequence, but I do love the shot of the dog neck high in the snow!
Peter, superb series from Finland!!! The lighting and images just all seem so surreal
Nico, excellent graphic compositions
Gary, the subtle tones with the 21 SEM are amazing

Edited on Feb 03, 2014 at 06:28 AM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:25 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.889 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Barber shop in Manassas, VA.

Nikkor-H 5cm F2, at F4, red filter, M Monochrom.

Anybody remember the Jerry Lewis movie "Visit to a Small Planet"? Movie made about the same year as this particular lens.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:54 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.889 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

I found a good brick wall to test lenses with high field curvature...

Nikkor-H 5cm F2, at F4.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:57 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.889 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Awesome photos in the last few pages!

MM + Noct 0.95:

L1012318 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1012317 by ryankarr, on Flickr

M9 + 21/4 CV

L1015047-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 03, 2014 at 02:38 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.889 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

I must say to you Leicaphilias I really enjoy looking at the images you post. Very nice to see what you rangefinder types do with your cameras. It is all great stuff. I find I get a little bit of everything from places I have travelled to, to places locally and places I have not seen.

It is very interesting to see these places pictorially from a Rangefinder system instead of the typical SLR 35mm system and see the capabilities of the rangefinders and it's lenses. The colours are terrific and I really enjoy the pureness of the B&W from the Monochrom.

Great stuff.

Feb 03, 2014 at 04:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

3D.Doug
• • •
p.889 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

how hard do you hit them on the wall to test them Brian? .

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:40 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.889 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Pigeon man from Sapporo

Feb 03, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Jud73

p.889 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Peter, I really like the dog in the snow (last photo p888 #12) and the rest of your snow set.

Treme Sidewalk Steppers, M9-P and 35mm

Feb 03, 2014 at 11:44 PM
uhoh7
• • •
p.889 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

ryan: great shots! Love the corners on shot one, and the light on the last You show what the MM can do--sweet textures on the second shot.

Rirakuma: love that shot with the guy and the birds.

Jud, you are killing it with those parade shots

@burningheart. I'm only a Leicafilly, but TY for kind sentiments.

L1002770 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002776 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002847 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002875 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002887 by unoh7, on Flickr

Last a selfie: you can see the frankenfinder

All these with the zm18. I have a relationship with certain local cars sort of like Phillip Reeve has with particular sheep But he is alot better shooter.

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:44 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.889 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

In case you were wondering - this is the mode of transportation us Canadians take from our Igloos to work each day….

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

Feb 04, 2014 at 03:49 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.889 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks to all for the many likes and comments!

So many good pictures from everyone thanks for sharing.

Ron, the battery problem in the cold was my biggest fear with the M9-P, since the battery itself and the power management are so bad. Therefore I left with a total of 6 batteries, yes a lot of money...I know! The ones are not in use I kept always in the warm pocked and the camera with one lens attached and one more lens in the bottom of a revolver pocked from lowepro, in front of my chest, which gives also a bit of warmth when walking. On one day with -34°C and almost no wind I came along with 3 batteries and on a day with -15°C but a hell of a storm, but good light, I needed 5 batteries. Five of them are new and the 6th came with the used bodey I bought.
This vacation I had no problems with the power management/batteries because the longest was two night that I was away but next year I will probably make again a multiple days tent tour, where I will run out of power pretty fast. This is then the time where I will be happy to have a MP as well.
I found it also to be a great challenge, just like with the MP last year, the tears in the eyes from the cold wind and the condensation (outside) if not careful on the finder. It can be handled but it makes precise manual focusing a bit more troublesome.

Feb 04, 2014 at 10:46 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.889 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Hi guys,

Haven't been on in a while, I'm going back through the pages now. I sent all my gear in to calibrated (M240 fell out of alignment again after only two weeks), and am having the 50APO checked out again, as when it came back the last time, it was better with the CVF, but was overall less contrasty and less colorful (weird, I know). Anyway, it's all coming back soon, so hopefully they've sorted it out.

Anyway, Ron, to toss in my opinion.. I was actually looking to buy an M9p, and I had a long discussion with my friend about colors, he told me to check out his pictures so I went over, and he showed me a side by side shot of his baby and asked me what camera took what. Basically IDENTICAL, he then told me that it was because he calibrates his monitors and cameras, and where he can, uses White balance cards.. And honestly, the results were pretty shocking at base ISO. Both cameras were nearly identical in color. So the whole CCD / CMOS thing is kinda mythbusted for me (at base iso, keeping in mind I didn't zoom in to see the actual structure of the pixels and color transitions, just modest on screen viewing). But do keep in mind that OOC raw is completely different from both cameras, and you might like the OOCR starting point of the M9 much better then the M240.

One thing I have noticed though, and I use to think it was a DR issue, but it seems that some lenses react differently to the M240 then to the M9, and I'm developing a theory that it has to do with the reflection on the sensor. It seems to be the only way to explain why my M240 shots with (primarily) the 28cron don't look as "magic" as my shots with the M9.. And I've fussed with the contrast and curves and color... Still no way of getting them to look the same. It would also explain why I don't like a lot of my lenses (not just wides) on the A7 camera (my 50lux is probably the best performing lens from Leica on the A7). Also note, CVF is not an issue on the M9 for the 50APO, but is a huge issue on my M240 with the 50APO.

So take into account there will be a color adjustment period, and maybe my sensor reflection theory is true, and you'll have to reacquaint yourself with the nuances of certain lenses. BUT everything else on the M240 is better then the M9, it's faster, the camera feels better in the hand, the RF feels more accurate, and easier to focus, the addition of LV is useful in some rare cases (although the A7 does it better). Battery life is great.. I have two, but could probably use one for two full days of shooting (I rarely chimp though).

BTW, I actually dislike my A7, and I'm using it almost exclusively with my favorite lens (50 MPZE, well now second fav since the 50APO came along). But seriously the same gripes I have with my new A99 work setup, I have with the A7.. I feel that Sony is slower with electronics then even the M240! I honestly find everything about the A99 and A7 to be a pain aside from the ZA lenses and fact that I can adapt good lenses to the A7.. And of course I don't mind the sensors. I honestly feel like the Sony system is a slow little brother to the Nikon or Canon systems when it comes to interface, but is great/best when it comes to image quality.

Anyway, sorry for the long block of text.. Great photos everyone!!
I'll be posting some soon (and hopefully my color calibration set with get here soon, I've been really into printing lately, so I'm going to go full hog and calibrate all my gear/systems/setup). Any tips would be welcome!

Best!

Feb 04, 2014 at 03:44 PM
leonasj
• •
p.889 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

adamdevilde,i have M9,i love sharpness,maybe CCD better than CMOS,but see comparison steve huff and M240 a little sharper and colors are little warmer.So I am selling my M9 for M240,as A7r not really good works with rangfinder lenses

Feb 04, 2014 at 04:04 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.889 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Amazing Gary, I scrolled up from the bottom and something said 'Looks like one of the Lake communities here' and when I got to the top of the post there was your name.

Good thing you know all about the movement of the Zamboni, cause that first shot the driver just doesn't see you, but I see you placed yourself beyond the turn. Nice pictures.

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:18 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.889 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Question all,

Having a 28 now, do you think a 24 is too close similarly? whereas the 21 might be a better choice? I know some people have a set of lens with the 3 preferred focals (i.e. 28, 50, 90 or 21, 35, 90 etc…..)

I am aware the 28 and 24 are different focal lengths and there is a difference esp. for wide angles, but trying to make a choice here, so any advice would help

Thanks all for your past advice and thanks Charles for recommending the 21 SEM , your making me think to much

Phil

I felt my 28cron and 21SEM were close (but I love them both).. Though when I looked for lenses I'd like to try the 21lux and 24lux caught my eye, and after careful review, I think the 24lux is more what I'm looking for in a lens.

So despite the fact that 21 and 28 are close, I'm seriously considering the 24lux.

Funny Also thinking about buying a secondary M240 (although originally was going to buy two M9 cameras, see post above for reason why I'm leaning towards 2x M240) and giving it a serious go wedding photography wise. I'm kinda getting sick of DSLRS and I've only had the Sony A99 setup for a couple of months (already sick of Canon and Nikon), and already using my Leica for a lot of other corporate client work. I'm just at the point where I think I can slow down dramatically, and still get shots clients would be happy with. Never been much of a machine gunner anyway.

SOOO I think I'll be in LA in March, if anyone in the area wants me to tag along as a second shooter on a wedding assignment, I'll bring my Leica, just PM me

If I do decide to ditch DSLRs, then here's to hoping my Leica gear doesn't have any more major issues!

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password