Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              887      
       889              1027       1028       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

asiafish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.888 #1 · p.888 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Andrew. I recall your post about your upcoming trip and my suggestion to just go with the Leica.

Of my typical 21/28/50/90 general purpose kit, I use the 90 the least. It's a reason I'm hesitant to upgrade to the 90AA, in addition to its larger size. But I do think it's a very good lens. I've yet to try the 35 Summarit, though have heard many good things about it, including its rendering. I've seen it as low as $1100 and have been tempted...

Thanks Cal. I recall from playing with early M240 files that they definitely felt
...Show more

Again I am mostly a 50mm shooter, but the 35mm Summarit is an incredibly nice lens. I tried a number of other 35s including the current 35/2 Summicron ASPH and the v4 "Bokeh King", but find the Summarit has a more pleasing rendering for my tastes and the speed difference is negligible. I haven't tried any of the 35/1.4 lenses as they are just bulkier and more expensive than I want from a 35mm Leica lens.

I would just bring the Leica if this was a photography trip, but its my 20th anniversary trip and my wife wants color and not to stand around while I play with a bag full of lenses. The 6D and zoom lens should make an excellent travel companion. I'd also be a lot less upset if something should happen to them.

Jan 31, 2014 at 04:56 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.888 #2 · p.888 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary, I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts and offer to broker a deal. Coincidentally, I sent a message to TCS via their website inquiring about their stock and if $7300 is still current, but haven't heard back. Everyone else around here has bumped the body up to $7600... But I may have found a fairly local option at similar to TCS's price. Might be a bit cheaper after the shipping cost from AB to ON. I would consider used, though if it's ~$6000 US, then for the extra money, I'd probably just get a new one. I don't really care about dodging GST/HST either since it's for business and will qualify as an input tax credit.

From my inquiries yesterday, pretty much everyone has the camera in stock, so I currently don't feel a huge rush to get one. Though the current exchange rate situation was mentioned as being unstable and possibly causing more price increases soon...

Jan 31, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.888 #3 · p.888 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

You know Ron, you really should put one on hold just in case.... Pull the trigger!

Jan 31, 2014 at 08:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.888 #4 · p.888 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary - I heard back from TCS - they seem to really want the sale. Are you getting a commission on this, eh? It's not like Alberta needs any more money flowing in! Maybe I should look for a job out on the sands to pay for all this fancy German gear.

Thanks Andrew, I'm sure it will work out well for you. As I've mentioned, I'm currently playing with a loaner Sony RX10. I was skeptical about it at first and barely wanted to use it. There are a number of UI aspects that bother me about it. But you know... I've been bringing it along the last few days and it's growing on me. I'd be tempted to say it could be a better travel camera than a DSLR solution. It's not perfect and at times I miss the FF look... but keep it at lower ISOs and it's pretty decent. I think where it will suffer though is wide open higher ISO shooting, especially if you're looking for shallow DOF. A lot of my walk around stuff is somewhat the opposite and the small sensor coupled with more generous focus depth works nicely...

Anyway, this is getting way OT...

Here's one before the light got really interesting - 50 Lux ASPH:

Jan 31, 2014 at 09:01 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.888 #5 · p.888 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Gary - I heard back from TCS - they seem to really want the sale. Are you getting a commission on this, eh?

Too funny. I called them to see how much stock was left and find out the pricing for you. They mentioned that their last one was just put on hold from some guy in Ontario. I am usually pretty slow but I managed to put two and two together and figure out the rest.

Jan 31, 2014 at 09:06 PM
asiafish
• •
p.888 #6 · p.888 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Gary - I heard back from TCS - they seem to really want the sale. Are you getting a commission on this, eh? It's not like Alberta needs any more money flowing in! Maybe I should look for a job out on the sands to pay for all this fancy German gear.

Thanks Andrew, I'm sure it will work out well for you. As I've mentioned, I'm currently playing with a loaner Sony RX10. I was skeptical about it at first and barely wanted to use it. There are a number of UI aspects that bother me about it. But
...Show more

I have the RX100 mk ii (traded my Leica X2 for it and an M lens) and am quite pleased. It will come to Europe as well, mainly for the wife to use or when I don't want to carry the 6D such as when out for a fancy dinner. Same sensor as RX10 I believe, and it is excellent. Not FF, but better than I thought it would be.

Feb 01, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.888 #7 · p.888 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Andrew. I recall your post about your upcoming trip and my suggestion to just go with the Leica.

Of my typical 21/28/50/90 general purpose kit, I use the 90 the least. It's a reason I'm hesitant to upgrade to the 90AA, in addition to its larger size. But I do think it's a very good lens. I've yet to try the 35 Summarit, though have heard many good things about it, including its rendering. I've seen it as low as $1100 and have been tempted...

Loving these winterscapes Ron!

My lens lineup is similar to your from an FL standpoint, with fairly fast lenses (21 f/1.8, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 90 f/2). Like you, I use the 90 least, and am contemplating trading it in for a 75 f/1.4, which I think I would enjoy a lot more for the subject isolation and light gathering ability.

Speaking as a mostly satisfied M240 user, I don't think my stay into the Leica universe would have lasted very long if I bought an M9. I used an M9 for a week, after I tested the M240. To me, the LV makes and better high ISO performance makes the M240 a much more versatile camera, and I really value that versatility. I love the "one camera for just about everything" philosophy, and the M240 is the closest I've been able to get to that ideal camera for me. Being able to take images over fences or people's heads while focusing/composing through LV, or seeing a landscape composition through a wide lens without having to fumble with external finders, is extremely useful to me. I much prefer to use the RF to focus, but it's not always the best way to solve a photographic problem. For example, I know for a fact that my 90mm focus-shifts substantially. LV makes it possible for me to use that lens without having to surrender my camera to a service-person for a weeks at a time. I know I have should adjusted eventually, but LV preserves the camera's usefulness with that lens.

Also, since most of my casual and street shooting is done at night, I really value the high ISO performance of the M240 sensor.

Feb 01, 2014 at 03:13 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.888 #8 · p.888 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very Nice Ron!

Phil

M w/Noct 1f

Feb 01, 2014 at 04:12 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.888 #9 · p.888 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

very sweet nocti shot

@Ron It seems you know your options very well---given the parameters you mention the M240 makes alot of sense.

Many others bring up good points about it.

L1002526 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002516 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002462 by unoh7, on Flickr

TE 90, it's not bad but I'm thinking about a summarit or elmarit or something small for backcountry that's a bit sharper. Suggestions apreciated

50 cron is workin pretty good:

L1002437 by unoh7, on Flickr

Feb 01, 2014 at 06:15 AM
seekuh
• •
p.888 #10 · p.888 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, seems as if you are going to get the M240 soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results you get with this camera. Exciting!

Feb 01, 2014 at 08:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

muc_marlin
• •
p.888 #11 · p.888 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi all!
I am still in Finish lapland and having today a resting day. On the Camp Site where i am right now i can get via my iPod touch and wlan a Connection to the internet. So far i had a Great Time but as always the Weather her in lapland is Not always as Great as One would like! But i try to get the best Out of it. Temperatur Range is between -8 to -34 but i am very happy about the flawless performance of the m9-p, she was icy all over and i had really some nasty stormy weather but Never gave me a Problem. i am really Looking forward to Share some Pics once i am back. My iPod touch Drive me Almost Crazy While i am tiping, it changes constantly my tiping. Problably i have to deactivate some of the Standart Settings.

Great pictures everyone !

Feb 01, 2014 at 10:39 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.888 #12 · p.888 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

a try to upload five pics which I like a lot. They had just a minor pp on the laptop, I also liked to show one of each single lens I have with me. As I mentioned in my last post, every thing works flawless. The one problem I had was with the really right stuff L- Braked, my nose got frozen to it. I even lost some skin on the side of my nose, but every thing has heeled already. On the first day when this happened, I applied some tape and the problem was solved. I am also surprised to see, that the 28 Summicron isn't free of the color cast in the corners.

A lot of gear talk lately. I think it is really difficult to give an appropriated recommendation, it depends to much on the photographer and it's shooting style.

For me as a landscaper I still don't regret my decision to get the M9-P. I was very curious how the M9 stands up to the some times rough conditions I am in, but it has worked just flawlessly, knocking on wood! But since the feedback on the M240 is in many ways very positive I am convinced that it is a camera that I would like to shoot as well. To me it was just the price along with the new futures which didn't convinced me to 100%. So I skipped it, and as a new Leica user, I invested in the glass and will probably get the next generation.

Feb 01, 2014 at 02:01 PM
nicoimages
• •
p.888 #13 · p.888 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Spectacular images muc_marlin - particularly like the first and last one.

Leica M240 with Zeiss 25/2.8 ZM and Zeiss C 35/2.8 ZM all images between 2.8 and 5.6

Originals are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nico1974 and portofolio site http://nicoimages.com/

Edited on Feb 08, 2014 at 07:55 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2014 at 06:48 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.888 #14 · p.888 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Peter, your winterscapes are spectacular! I love them... sorry to hear you lost part of your nose to the RRS bracket. I have one, but think here in Texas I would get a 3rd degree burn before I'd ever get it frozen to anything.

Feb 01, 2014 at 06:55 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.888 #15 · p.888 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks a lot for the comments and likes!

I try to get some more uploaded....

Feb 01, 2014 at 07:24 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.888 #16 · p.888 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

5 more, the rest follows once I am back at home

Feb 01, 2014 at 08:24 PM
ocean2059
• • •
p.888 #17 · p.888 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Peter, these are beautiful images!

Feb 01, 2014 at 10:06 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.888 #18 · p.888 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Agreed amazing images Peter! How long was your trip? Looks like you would've been in some extreme temperatures. I remember hiking in the alps and the weather conditions hindered my motivation to take pictures. Good on you for going out of the way to continue shooting

Feb 02, 2014 at 12:11 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.888 #19 · p.888 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

inspiring shots Nico and Peter

L1002734 by unoh7, on Flickr
te90

L1002741 by unoh7, on Flickr
te 90

L1002766 by unoh7, on Flickr
50cron