p.883 #1 · p.883 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Portrait du jour, with the 50 planar wide open:

L1000330bw by edward karaa, on Flickr

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.883 #2 · p.883 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

It might be a personal thing, but I'm actually prefering your results from the M over your other recent ones with the A7 Edward. The colors and overall rendering look different to me, in a nice way.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.883 #3 · p.883 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Jochenb wrote:
It might be a personal thing, but I'm actually prefering your results from the M over your other recent ones with the A7 Edward. The colors and overall rendering look different to me, in a nice way.

Thank you very much for the comments Jochen! Happy to hear that!

I think it has to do with the lenses and the raw files.

The ZM lenses are all spherical lenses while the EF ZA contain aspherical elements. They might be super sharp from wide open but they lack the "gentleness" of the ZM.

Also I am finding the M raw files to be quite softer than the A7 raw files, regardless of the lens used, despite the M having no AA filter and the A7 having a somewhat thick one. This most probably relates to Sony's sharpness enhancement algorithms that were thought not to affect files opened in 3rd party converters, but now I can see that the effect is very obvious.

And what can I say, I love shooting with the M

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM
leonasj
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.883 #4 · p.883 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

charles.K,thank you,i own Hawks helicoid adapter high quality with macro and infinity function
I think nothing beats 35FLE on M9 in daylight :

leonasj 2014

M9+35lux FLE

Mar 17, 2014 at 08:26 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.883 #5 · p.883 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Thank you Charles, Manoj!

Najib, beautiful family shots and b/w conversions. The 3rd shot is priceless.

Manoj, nice work in the pub. Excellent framing, the colors and contrast are very Zeissy, and PP is perfect.

I agree and thanks Manoj. Good stuff as usual Edward. I have to say it again this is my fav thread on the world wide web and its all of your faults. The work in this thread is pure inspiration.

Mar 17, 2014 at 08:42 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.883 #6 · p.883 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Same for me, I very much enjoy this thread! The different approaches to photography, the various genres, landscapes/city's from all around the globe and most important the respectful and friendly communication! Just pure passion for photography!

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:20 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.883 #7 · p.883 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Mar 18, 2014 at 03:02 AM
najibs
• • •
p.883 #8 · p.883 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Testing a new Zeiss ZM 50/2 I just picked up...

Mar 18, 2014 at 03:58 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.883 #9 · p.883 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Tobin28 wrote:
I have to say that this thread is amazing with support. This thread appears to be very different than most threads here. Why do you think that is? There is a real online community build here with people from all over the world. Well done everyone!
Tobin

Perhaps it's because if you don't like the subject matter, be it models, kids, cats, street scenes, landscapes, you can at least enjoy the rendering qualities of the lenses, and thus it promotes this idea of commenting and staying rather positive about everyones posts, and I guess that helps to promote safe sharing among other M fans.

For instance, I'm sure you're all sick of seeing my wife, but she's my only willing model, so here's a shot of her sitting on a stump at the park (Griffith Park), I shot it with the 50APO at f/2:

Mar 18, 2014 at 06:05 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.883 #10 · p.883 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

seekuh wrote:
I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on this because I'm also considering buying one of these lenses.

Sorry I didn't see this:

More on the 90 CV, or the other lenses?

My main gripe with the 90CV was that I didn't like the bokeh in certain situations, and I also really found the rendering uninteresting and abrupt for the way I was shooting it. Mind you mostly on an M8 and only a bit on the M9.

My very quick take on the other lenses are:

75 APO - seems to lack contrast significantly, gives you a soft rendering, with really sharp focus point. Bokeh is pretty nice throughout, but you really need to be prepared to work on the contrast/curves in LR if you want an images that doesn't feel flat and washed out. I've read about this, and I might just need to have my lens serviced, but in all fairness I just did get it back from Germany, and nothing has changed with it..

75 Summarit - Has better overall contrast, but seems to be a bit muddy in the colors at times. Can often give a really neat look, but portraits can suffer a bit from the slightly muddy colors (nothing near as bad as canon/nikon though). Bokeh can be a slight bit more sketchy, but I actually quite like it, its unusually pleasing, even though I shouldn't be a fan based on what I usually like to see in my images.

90 APO - I found this lens to be fantastic, no complaints other then it was hard to nail focus, I don't know why, it just is.. Also found it to be a bit flat at times, but nothing you couldn't fix in LR, not nearly as bad as the 75APO.

90 Summarit - Thus far, find it much easier to focus then the 90APO, but it suffers from being a slight bit more muddy, not a lot of contrast (almost like the 75APO in that sense, but seems slightly more artificial/sketchy when you try to enhance it in LR).

Again these are just my quick thoughts and I haven't done a direct comparison yet.. And now anyway my opinion is quickly becoming less valid, as I find myself comparing all my lenses to my 50APO, which is on the camera 100% of the time.. I'm not kidding about the 100%, I picked up a second M240 just so I would use my other lenses.

Mar 18, 2014 at 06:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.883 #11 · p.883 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Just went back through the pages I missed.. Lots of great shots, edward, uhoh7, airfrogusmc, zhangyue, BrianVS, asiafish, joakim, KatieInTexas, Gary, and all the others who posted awesome shots!

CVickery - Really love the rendering/colors of the broken tree near the river in snow!
rscheffler - First shot of those dead flowers in snow, amazing rendering/dof choice.
Charles - Nice rendering, love the softness of the shot.

Mar 18, 2014 at 06:43 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.883 #12 · p.883 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam, both photo and model are beautiful!

Portrait of a friend with the 50 planar wide open:

L1000333 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.883 #13 · p.883 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

And one street shot from today:

L1000337 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.883 #14 · p.883 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam, thank you Beautiful and engaging portrait of your wife!!!

Edward, excellent strong portraits and compositions You have found your niche with the ZM 50 and M240
Allen, superb street images, with the haunting image of the older lady!
Najibs, great portraits, and of course the ZM50!!

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.883 #15 · p.883 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adam, excellent shot and beautiful woman! I believe to see a light source in her eyes, did you use a golden reflector, since the shot is against the sun, just curios?

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.883 #16 · p.883 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

muc_marlin wrote:
adam, excellent shot and beautiful woman! I believe to see a light source in her eyes, did you use a golden reflector, since the shot is against the sun, just curios?

Adam, I agree with muc_marlin about the shot and she is indeed beautiful. Just lovely light and natural pose. Light, subject, pose and feel are all working so well together in this.

Charles, I meant to comment on the faded roses. Great stuff.

And Z pg 928 killer color and wonderful series. Love the look.

More really great images Edward. Love the strong primaries in the last one. Strong blue, red and yellow.

Katie you're rock'n in Texas. Really intimate looks inside your world and family. WONDERFUL and way beyond the average family photos. Sorry if I missed anyone. This thread can move quickly and there is so many good images to look at. Keep up the great diverse work everyone. Always a perfect way to start the day. This thread and a cup a joe....

Mar 18, 2014 at 01:20 PM
seekuh
• •
p.883 #17 · p.883 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Sorry I didn't see this:

More on the 90 CV, or the other lenses?

My main gripe with the 90CV was that I didn't like the bokeh in certain situations, and I also really found the rendering uninteresting and abrupt for the way I was shooting it. Mind you mostly on an M8 and only a bit on the M9.

My very quick take on the other lenses are:

75 APO - seems to lack contrast significantly, gives you a soft rendering, with really sharp focus point. Bokeh is pretty nice throughout, but you really need to be prepared to work on the contrast/curves
...Show more

Mar 18, 2014 at 02:57 PM
najibs
• • •
p.883 #18 · p.883 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Not at all adamdewilde. She looks great. Respectfully.

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:35 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.883 #19 · p.883 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Allen, Charles, thank you so much for the nice comments! Indeed I confess that I love shooting with the 50 planar the most

Allen, the photo on the last page of the old woman is just fantastic! It's a classic.

Najib, Nice portraits with the planar. I'm sure you'll love this lens.

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:52 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.883 #20 · p.883 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Picked up a CV21/4 and I absolutely love it on the MM.

MM +CV21/4 + yellow filter:

L1012574 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1012569 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1012565 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1012669 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1012641 by ryankarr, on Flickr

MM + 21 Lux:

L1012624 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Mar 18, 2014 at 05:26 PM
1       2       3              882      
       884              1380       1381       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell