Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              865      
       867              1060       1061       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

3D.Doug
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.866 #1 · p.866 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Phil for the critique, and complement! I think I was a bit out of practice. I'm slowing getting back to form maybe... I really hadn't shot much over the last year really before fall.

Katie, thank you too!

I saw this tree when I looked up in the edge of the woods on Hyatt Lane in Cades Cove, and I said, man, I got to shoot this tree! There are some enormous trees in the smokies, The MM is made for this shooting with leaves off.

Jan 01, 2014 at 03:17 AM
djarth

Upload & Sell: Off
p.866 #2 · p.866 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi all,

I'm looking to get M9 to try the leica look.

Just some questions.
So far the photos i'm seeing in the thread seems to be in focus but not sharp.
Is this signature of leica? or is it difficult to focus with this type of camera?

It's not like eye p;opping sharp like my 5D3, some of the shots i see here when in focus has an organic look, is that the character of the camera?

Seeking advice

Justin

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:31 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.866 #3 · p.866 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Doug, +1 for the rave of that foto I like it.
Justin, Because Leica people don't care sharpness

You know this make no sense, right? it has nothing to do with brand/system. I am sure you can easily find a lot sharp fotos from Leica.

Add two more unsharp ones from today. I am kind of lose control in PP

21biogon

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:42 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.866 #4 · p.866 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Happy New Year from Stockholm

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:33 AM
Carsten_R

p.866 #5 · p.866 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Happy New Year !

Bordeaux, France (M9 and Apo50)

Le Porge Ocean, France (M9 and Elmarit 28 Asph.)

Sylt, Germany (M9 and CV Heliar 15/4.5)

Bordeaux, France (M9 and Apo50)

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:22 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.866 #6 · p.866 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi Justin. Good questions - this is the place to ask, for sure! Here's my $.02 on the subject...

I came from a Canon 5D2 background (among maaaany other digi models) so I AM a bit familiar with Canon files vs. Leica files and i can honestly say that there is absolutely no difference in sharpness between them; granted you are using quality glass on the body. I, for one, cannot stand over-sharpened, crispy to the point of pixelation, crunchy images on screen. I don't really add any additional sharpening to my images, as I prefer them to be (as you so correctly pointed out) "organic". I like my images to have a film like look (as I do also still shoot/develop/scan my own film images on a RF camera with the same lenses that I use on my M-E).

Anyone else can chime in here; but I am thinking that it is possibly just a difference in processing that you are seeing. The files are so lovely from this camera, I just think Leica folks don't over-process them. Just my thoughts...

djarth wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking to get M9 to try the leica look.

Just some questions.
So far the photos i'm seeing in the thread seems to be in focus but not sharp.
Is this signature of leica? or is it difficult to focus with this type of camera?

It's not like eye p;opping sharp like my 5D3, some of the shots i see here when in focus has an organic look, is that the character of the camera?

Seeking advice

Justin

Jan 01, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.866 #7 · p.866 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Hi Justin. Good questions - this is the place to ask, for sure! Here's my $.02 on the subject...

I came from a Canon 5D2 background (among maaaany other digi models) so I AM a bit familiar with Canon files vs. Leica files and i can honestly say that there is absolutely no difference in sharpness between them; granted you are using quality glass on the body. I, for one, cannot stand over-sharpened, crispy to the point of pixelation, crunchy images on screen. I don't really add any additional sharpening to my images, as I prefer them to be (as you
...Show more

I agree with you that over-sharpened, crunchy images are a disaster. The present thread is not short of those.
Leica folks don't need to over-process their images, because the lack of an AA filter will to this for them under certain conditions.

Jan 01, 2014 at 04:48 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.866 #8 · p.866 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Happy New Year guys!!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, good stuff on the forums though!

Carsten_R - Quick question, does your 50APO have problems?

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Carsten_R

p.866 #9 · p.866 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luckily no Problems. Perfect for the Monochrom, less than perfect on the A7R...

Carsten

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:11 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.866 #10 · p.866 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Finally got around to using the 135mm f4 that Gary sold me, I have to say I'm impressed! Still wish is was f2 though

M240+135/4

L1003093 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1003056 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1003088 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1003080 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

KatieInTexas
• • •
p.866 #11 · p.866 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, what the heck is that creature? Looks like a fox sorta...

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:59 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.866 #12 · p.866 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

It's a Red Panda, very cute and playful.

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:17 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.866 #13 · p.866 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

now take this with a grain of salt since I own neither an M9 nor 5Dii, but I acquired raw files from both cameras and compared. and not just random shots either; lab shots where focus was walked through and the best samples were provided from both cameras. setup one was 5Dii with 50MP. setup two was M9 with v5 summicron 50.

understand 50MP is a sharper lens, and much higher contrast. I have seen on film that it is beyond what the old (v4/5 formula is from 76) summicron formulation can do, especially at lab focus distance.

but the M9 raws were WAY sharper than 5Dii using ACR. and nothing I could do in PS could make up that difference. when I downsize to web dimensions, 5D looked sharper because 50MP has such high contrast.

POP or "sharpness" from websize images almost all comes from sharpening/contrast enhancement and the contrast of the lens at the relevant frequencies FOR THE ENLARGEMENT.

I have a good example of such things happening. I owned a while ago a ZM50 Planar, for Leica, and a Dual Range Summicron, and a Zuiko 50/3.5 Macro. I have seen measured MTFs for all 3; DR has highest extinction frequncy, ZM highest "global" contrast and Zuiko best at 40 lp/mm. I shot all 3 on the same roll of Delta 100 developed in Xtol 1:1 and compared my perceived "sharpness"

on scan:
1. zuiko
2. zm planar
3. dr summicron

on downsized scan (multistep sharpening)
1. planar (perception of fine detail)
2. zuiko (lots of "crunch", my favorite but not "sharpest")
3. dr summicron

examined with loupe
1. dr summicron
2. zuiko
3. planar

which was "sharpest"? if you enlarge enough, DR summicron. but I sold it quickly, because I realized that even at 11x14 (the largest I can do with my scanner with high quality) it looked the worst by a lot. I sold the ZM planar shortly after, when I got other lenses that made me question value of ZM planar and used that money to buy my own 50MP.

post processing is very individual and most people are bad at it (as they are indeed bad at most things). if you are seriously considering purchase, track down some raw files from a lens you actually intend to purchase and use with it and process it yourself and compare. if you are really lucky, you might get someone with good PP flow to send you a PSD with their method on it so you can see what you could get.

btw I hate the word "pop" when describing images so much. funny enough the image I saw with the most of that had missed focus lmao.

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:27 PM
joakim
• • •
p.866 #14 · p.866 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

A lot of great photos as usual, I've been to lazy lately with comments and resorted to the like button instead.

I "fixed" my 28 Cron the other day by unscrewing the screws in the front ring and adjusting the ring before locking it down again and it seem to have worked. Lets's see for how long it lasts...

Here is from a walk the other day where the theme became fallen tress. I used the 28 Cron and the 50 Lux but in this selection everyone is with the 28 Cron.

Jan 01, 2014 at 07:32 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.866 #15 · p.866 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim love the conversion on these

How are you liking the cron? I'm thinking of picking one up in a week or so

Phil

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:35 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.866 #16 · p.866 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sister shot from my shot yesterday. Not as much perspective as the first one, but still has character when processed similarly to yesterday's file. Though I will admit, I used different processes for each.. I think it has a lot of things for your eye to wonder around looking at. That to me is part of a really pleasing image. Well, it can be. Light helps with that too.

I added no sharpness to this file, I actually used minus clarity to dial it down some. It was actually to sharp to begin with.

MM/35 Lux 1/1000th ISO 320, f 5.7

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Fursan
• •
p.866 #17 · p.866 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

djarth wrote:
Hi all,

Justin

Just bad cameras..that's all.

Best to you all and your loved ones for the future.

Kindest regards.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:16 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.866 #18 · p.866 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

In my own Leica experience, I find that my increasing comfort with a lack of "tack" sharpness in some (though not all) images arises from the fact that I am using very fast (f/1.4) primes wide open almost all the time. Often, very little is in focus anyway, and learning how to master these kinds of optical effects takes a long time. Moreover, it's hard to always nail focus with such shallow DoF, though it's amazing how much better one gets with practice.

That said, stop down just a little bit, and images can become stupidly sharp. Even at f/2 or f/2.8, nailing focus and obtaining ridiculously sharp images becomes much easier. At f/5.6 or slower, the Leica optics are so good that they will (almost) obviate the benefits of a higher resolution sensor, such as a Nikon D800. For example, in a recent studio shot that my wife and I did (some results of which are posted on this thread), we used both a Nikon D800 with a 24-70 f/2.8 at f/8, and the latest generation Leica 50 on an M240 at f/8. I was surprised to see that the sharpness and overall detail in the Leica shots was virtually indistinguishable from the Nikon images. I could not really see the differences between the files until looking past 400% magnification, and even then, the distinctions were incredibly subtle.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:43 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.866 #19 · p.866 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Doug, those foreboding tree shots are amazing. Such moody processing.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:44 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.866 #20 · p.866 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks arka. Much appreciated. I have always loved trees without their leaves, its how you see their "soul". If you can capture it, they can tell quite a story. I think.

I remember once seeing a tree that I wanted to shoot, it had a big soul, and then one day I came by and saw that utility people had butchered a large portion of this tree to insure their precious lines were not infringed on. I was so pissed, the tree was not in the way at all anyway, but they cut it off like kenneling, because they could. I saw another tree they did this way along that same road that I can't think of the name for, but is sort of in trouble in the smokies due to the wooly worm I think it is, diseasing and killing the trees. They can be saved with a few different treatments, but they have to be treated, or the worm will win.

I went on tangent there...

I like trees. :-)

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:22 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password