1       2       3              861      
       863              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.862 #1 · p.862 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

nicoimages - such nice colors!
Allen - super B&W pics! I like how many of your pictures include shadows. I will have to train my eye to look for that in certain compositions.
Brian - you sure have some interesting vintage lenses!
Ron - Nice pics. I really like #1 in your first set. The Timmies cups make the picture IMO. Typical Canadiana.
Charlie - looks like you have finally got some good snow conditions. I like the last selfie pic.
Michael - nice dark tones in that set. Very nice.
Charles - looks like that 50cron DR is becoming one of your most used lenses.
Rocky - #3 and 4 are real good. #3 sure made me smile!
Manoj - a diesel Porsche? Very interesting....

All - if anyone knows of someone selling a ZM18, please drop me a pm.

Feb 24, 2014 at 04:32 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.862 #2 · p.862 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
All - if anyone knows of someone selling a ZM18, please drop me a pm.

Gary, KEH has a silve one: http://www.keh.com/camera/Leica-M-Non-Mfg-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-LM08999102531J?r=FE.

Feb 24, 2014 at 08:18 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.862 #3 · p.862 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

sorry folks, have been away for a week and am back nursing a cold and trying to catch up with this thread. Great shots from everyone from past few pages... and sorry for not commenting individually.

this one had me grinning..
edwardkaraa wrote:
Dear friends, I couldn't stand being away from you for too long, so, I'm back!

...from a disgrunted Leica lover who ditched her for a Sony mistress and finally back to a new Leica Lover again ...

Congrats Edward!!

------
rscheffler wrote:
Still inviting comments on the Leica M grip for the M240... Have you tried it and what did you think?

I have the same problem, I need a better support when using EVF. Otherwise my Thumbs up is always on the camera. Also thinking of adding M grip for use with EVF. Maybe you try it first

Feb 24, 2014 at 09:02 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.862 #4 · p.862 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Allen, Rocky, Manoj, Ron, Edward and Gary, thank you
Allen, really nice abstract B&W!
Rocky, I love the last shot, and #3!! Excellent mix of complimentary colors
Manoj, the Hex has the smooth rendering, and nice series!
Ron, excellent balance and use of the lenses with the EVF I find the mini thumbs up fine, but it would be better if they made it more defined.
Leonas, #3 looks freezing and cold!

Joe, hope you feel better soon! The Sony's are excellent, with the FE 55 and 35, but the rest of the lens mix, what works and does not, has driven me crazy. I almost purchased some R series lenses, the 28 Elmarit II R, 50 Cron R to gel with the A7r, but then my rational mind kicked in, I have more than enough M lenses, and really for Sony to succeed, they will have to deliver their legacy lens lineup. Fine if you have already a collection of R lenses, but not to be looking at R lenses that are almost as expensive as M lenses!!

Another shot with the M240 and 50 Cron Rigid DR. Gary you are right, this is one of my favorite lenses

Edited on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:10 AM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2014 at 09:30 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.862 #5 · p.862 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron when I had the M and the M grip, it didn't feel as secure to my hands, the older version had a circular profile which felt more secure to me, the rounded triangular profile didn't feel as secure IMO for my med/large hands

Plus it def. adds more bulk to the camera, because the bottom plate has a higher profile for the tripod screw, I rarely used it.

Plus the weight of it was a definitely more noticeable than the M9/grip combo

Hope this helps

Great stuff posted last few pages folks, miss Katie's work

Phil

Feb 24, 2014 at 09:35 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.862 #6 · p.862 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
...Still inviting comments on the Leica M grip for the M240... Have you tried it and what did you think?

Like you Ron I wanted to leave the hotshoe open for the EVF. I ended up with a half case from Angelo Pelle with a built in grip since the Leica grips weren't available at the time. It feels OK, not quite a secure as the Thumbsup but manageable. I recently had an opportunity to try the grip and I think it was an improvement over both the bare camera as well as the half case, but I'd want to use it for a few hours not a few minutes to be sure. They are expensive though, I think I paid $99 for my grip for the M7 not the $300+ for the M grip.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.862 #7 · p.862 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

^Edward, sorry I forgot to congratulate you on your new M. How are you liking it so far? Ron the second pic was taken with the v4 noctilux, I'm still having a hard time bonding with the lens but it does have its uses. Joe great to hear you're using your Leica again . Charles great work with the rigid, I have a tabicron but you're making me want one of those. The ability to close focus makes it so tempting ..

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.862 #8 · p.862 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks guys, for the likes and M grip feedback!

Phil - those are good points for me to keep in mind. It would seem the shape of the RRS grip is similar, if fatter, than the new M grip and might have similar problems.

Cal - where did you try the grip locally? Photocreative?

Joe - sure, that way I can sell it to you later. Another internal debate is whether it would be worth getting the multifunction grip for those times when I'm lighting venues and using radio slaves... could probably give up the EVF to save the $$$ in those situations. GPS might be cool too... but the simple need for a flash sync port would be the prime motivation. Sucks to have to spend $900 just for a PC socket!

Charles - great tonality again. Like how the chaotic diagonals intersect the graduated horizon.
Leonas - the first one is curiously interesting.
Gary - yes, Canadiana. Another one for my "Timmies Trash" series I started over the summer.

A momentary break from tree photos.

M240 with 28 Cron. Just a shot of my DIY LED lighting home improvement project consisting of three 8' extruded aluminum moldings suspended from the ceiling in a somewhat random arrangement... actually results in a very nice soft room light compared to the old fashioned ceiling fixture it replaces...

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:18 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.862 #9 · p.862 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Rocky and Ron, thanks

Rocky, the 50 Cron DR with macro is neat! Of course it needs to modified, so there is no stop and having to engage it. This way it is just smooth transition.

Ron, very nice abstract. Maybe you can use some of the LED's for shoots!

Another shot. M240 50 Cron DR

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:02 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.862 #10 · p.862 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles, Both great BW images!
Ron, If I were you, I will order grip instantly. though I am sure I only need regular one ($300?) It looks so classic on M with finger loop. especially tempting with the setup so I can mount R lux with it.

Continue Suzhou images.

Suzhou, this is pretty much the most controversy city right now in china, at one hand, it has so many beautiful Garden and traditional architecture around the old city, at other hand, it also build infinity new structure: high end hotel, fancy modern architecture, modern apartment everywhere with many factory, industry around.... the city has top GDP in China even pass Shanghai, Beijing... your Apple stuff all build here

50lux M9

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.862 #11 · p.862 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
...from a disgrunted Leica lover who ditched her for a Sony mistress and finally back to a new Leica Lover again ...

Congrats Edward!!

Thank you Joe!

I'm sure you have noticed that I changed from the old lover to her younger sister in the process

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:55 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.862 #12 · p.862 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles, great b/w conversions with the M!

Rirakuma, thank you! So far I love the shutter sound, and the color profile seems not too dissimilar to the M9, so I feel in familiar territory. The body feels more slippery though, and I'm having some trouble holding it firmly. I already ordered a leather half case, that I hope will help with the grip.

Ron, excellent abstract!

Zhangyue, nice shots from Suzhou. The second is my favorite as it shows the contrast between old and new.

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:01 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.862 #13 · p.862 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Testing high iso. Handheld at iso 3200. I think the M is 2 stops behind the A7 in iso performance but 2 stops ahead in handholding shutter speed. Anyhow this shot should be normally on tripod. 1/45s f/4 ZM 50.

L1000032 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 25, 2014 at 07:44 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.862 #14 · p.862 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
I'm sure you have noticed that I changed from the old lover to her younger sister in the process

Edward - at least you found the older sister a loving new home... Over here I suspect she's not happy stuck in the house while younger sister gets all the attention.

I still haven't explored higher ISO that much, but am not disappointed with what I've seen so far, at least up to 3200. It feels comparable to what I get with the 1DX, if perhaps not quite as low luminance noise. The grain pattern at around ISO 800 seems quite nice and tight and the files still respond well to some pushing in post, but of course there are limits. I noticed the green shadow problem starting to creep in when pushing ISO 1000 images over a stop, as well as random bright pixels that LR wasn't eliminating... In good quality low intensity light everything seems pretty good so far.

Michael - interesting birds eye views. Thanks for the background info too.
Charles - love that scene/location! Yes, I've definitely thought about a DIY LED lighting kit. The strips are the higher density 120 LEDs/m and if cut and organized well, could make for pretty intense and compact lighting. It's really easy to work with too. Maybe the only problem related to photography is that the CRI value of these strips probably isn't so great, especially the cheaper ones, but should still be OK. I recently picked up a couple of the Paul C Buff Vagabond Mini lithium battery/inverters for use with my strobe kits when wall power is not available or impractical and also tried them with the LEDs. It worked really nicely and the battery had enough juice to run the ~60W configuration for some time. Could make a nice on-location solution. Considering we've had a couple bad storms this year with power outages, one of which lasted a couple days, with the LEDs dimmed, the Vagabond Mini will run them for 6-8 hours, making for a useful emergency lighting/power solution.

Back to trees:

First is with CV12, rest are 21SEM, all on M240.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.862 #15 · p.862 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Older sister looks prettier though their grandma (m3) is the prettiest of all .

Nice images, Ron and Edward.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.862 #16 · p.862 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

Sort of a theme today, work. M9 (only child) and 35 Lux.

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:10 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.862 #17 · p.862 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for the well wishes. Winter has been long and I can't wait for it to end, although looking at past few pages, Ron seems to love shooting in the snow and cold.

Also seems like Charles and Ron are doing a Canada vs Australia tree shootout past few pages

Charles, enjoying your recent tree series with the 50DR. Excellent shots, love the first one on p908! Glad you are not giving up on your M240 yet. I'm surprised you gave up the RX1R for the A7R +FE35/2.8.
Allen, always enjoy your various takes of B&W compositions, be it street shots or other still life shots, great eye!
Michael, lovely series from Suzhou. Love the colors. Last time I was there was over 10 years back, came back with a bag full of silk comforters!
Rocky, nice varied set on p.907. Really like your pp and colors.
Manoj, nice shot of the Panamera. I wonder how much it cost over where you are?
Ron, enjoying all of your recent posts and comments with the M240. I'll wait for your report on the grips. I do like the multifunction grip but its quite costly. The loop and handgrip might be an option, but combined, its still 1/2 the price of the multifunction grip.
Edward, ISO3200 shot looking good. Seriously, you have your pp and colors sorted out so well that it would be hard for me to tell apart your A7/M9 and M240 shots.
Joakim, very nice street shots and I like your subtle B&W processing on these.

------
Outtakes from an assignment for New York Times magazine last Summer at Yale University.

CV 21/1.8 and 50Lux pre-ASPH on M240. My 35mm lens was the RX1 and I had a Ricoh GR as backup. No DSLRs

Here's a funny one where I was trying to find some additional angles to shoot but ruined the shot by leaving my b-Laika and RX1 on the chair and tripod on the floor? Ron must be laughing out loud seeing this one

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:49 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.862 #18 · p.862 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joe, 10 years? that is long enough fot building a new city in China, the difference will be huge if you go there now.
I enjoy the whole series. Nice color and reportage style.
Joakim, you have been doing great on street I like the first one.

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:22 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.862 #19 · p.862 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
10 years? that is long enough fot building a new city in China, the difference will be huge if you go there now.

Thanks Michael. China and some parts of Asia probably move too fast for me

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:46 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.862 #20 · p.862 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Older sister looks prettier though their grandma (m3) is the prettiest of all .

Nice images, Ron and Edward.

Just means you're getting old(er) and your tastes are changing.

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.