FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              854      
       856              1381       1382       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rirakuma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.855 #1 · p.855 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Just had to comment on Allen's post theyre very nice! I love seeing them in collages like that it really brings out an extra effect to the pictures. Keep up the great work

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:43 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.855 #2 · p.855 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Allen, wow... superb work!!! Each image is an art form, and collectively brilliant
Phil, thank you! Love the image with the fountain! With regards, to PP'ing with the 50 Cron Rigid/DR, I tend to only use additional the contrast/light in CS6 in Lab mode. This is very powerful, and does not affect the color channels, and give a very gentle gradient to give a 3D toning to images. The 50 Cron Rigid has incredible detail, and it is very gentle in contrast and color, but it is easily raised depending on the shot.
Cal, very nice with the ZM 18!
Nico, I really like the bold and graphic PP'ing

After 8 weeks with the A7r, I love the FE 55 and 35 lenses, but I am finding that the M mount lenses behave quite differently between the A7r and M240. I do prefer the M glass on the M240, as the images just seem to have more clarity. I am not talking about smearing, as I don't go near those lenses, but images have a very different feel. Even it is 24 MP, the increased MP on the A7r seems to have no added benefit, and in fact, it looks duller even with PP'ing. For now I cannot clearly explain it, but it is quite different!

Edited on Feb 17, 2014 at 03:15 AM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:12 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.855 #3 · p.855 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Charles I will try that while in CS6

Silver FXpro is nice, but I seem to over PP while using it, I will try a more natural approach in PP

Thanks for the tip

Phil

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:16 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.855 #4 · p.855 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks so much Charles, rirakuma and Phil.

I guess it's what you get used to but I do find CS6 to be more like the darkroom experience with the way the tools work and the control I have. I actually preferred CS4 over 6.

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:53 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.855 #5 · p.855 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

charles: excellent portrait
Allen: superb series.
nico: excellent bike and gear shots.
Cvickery: crisp!!

Sure I forgot some good ones too

Variety of conditions today, had just the summarit-m 90 and the CV 35/2.5:

L1004159 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1004196 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1004206 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1004201 by unoh7, on Flickr
previous 3: the skopar is simply off the hook on the M9.

L1004209 by unoh7, on Flickr
I'm falling for this summarit...

L1004239 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1004244 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1004263 by unoh7, on Flickr

My last real dilema is the 135. Keh sent me a tele-elmar with perfect glass and a multiated flange Made some shots with it, but OMG is it a pig. 505 grams--that's OK for a superspeed lens, but an f/4 it's past the pale. This was the early version at a good price. Obviously I have to return it.

I fear I may need to bite the bullet on the APO, which is still a wallmart shopper at 450 grams. My Canon Black LTM is 400, and not bad but not deadly.

I wish CV had gone all the way.......

If I was smart, I would return the summarit-m 90, keep the lanthar, and put the money into the telyt.

2500 seems to be rock bottom right now on the leica 135/3.4...yikes. But it's a crucial FL for me in the summer.

Edited on Feb 17, 2014 at 02:23 AM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:01 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.855 #6 · p.855 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks all for the comments and likes.

Phil, congrats on the 50Rigid and ZM21. Excellent shots.
uhoh, interesting reading your lens "journeys". Really enjoying the snow scenes you posted.
Joakim, nice set, I like the shadow composition on #1.
Charles, lovely portrait wit the 50DR! You should forget about the other toy camera you have and shoot the M more often
Allen, superb! Presented this way, this shows your B&W vision really well. Congrats, I sense another exhibition and a book on the horizon.
Cal, nice set with the ZM18.
Nicholas, nice varied abstrat set. I like the 1st MG shot a lot.

-----
We had more snow last night. Mono & 35FLE

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:23 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.855 #7 · p.855 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
I fear I may need to bite the bullet on the APO, which is still a wallmart shopper at 450 grams. My Canon Black LTM is 400, and not bad but not deadly.

Any of the older 135/4 Tele Elmars or even the older Elmars are wonderful lenses, quite sharp in my opinion. I own the older 135/4 Elmar-M and its super sharp. I suggest to try another copy before going for the APO version. Yes, the 135APO is better but its not night and day and the 135 Tele-E cannot be worse than quite a few of the CV lenses you own. Give it some time, it is not as easy to focus 135FL with the rangefinder, especially without a magnifier. Not sure what your expectations are, but I think 135mm f/2.8 lenses should be left to live view cameras or d-SLRs.

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:45 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.855 #8 · p.855 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Joe.

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:11 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.855 #9 · p.855 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice shots Joe. I like the expression on his face in the 3rd one and wonder what he is pondering on.

Feb 17, 2014 at 04:08 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.855 #10 · p.855 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Maybe us North American Leica shooters should converge on Chicago for a meet-up? It's centrally located and would be a reasonable travel compromise for many, I suspect. Biggest problem will likely be finding a mutually agreeable date, especially for those with families.

Allen, that's an extremely impressive set! So many great individual images that also work very well as a group.
Nico - also an excellent series!
Joe - the first image looks like a scene from the park near where I live... I'll have to dig up an image. I'm curious if the exposure values are accurate for the middle bunch in the series. Seems quite underexposed. If so, and you pushed them in post, they certainly held up well. But then, we knew that about the MM already!
Cal - ZM18 looks great. As I was scrolling down through the images I thought the place looked familiar... Burlington!
Charlie - thanks for posting the 90 shootout. Glad to hear the Summarit held it's own - means I don't need to look for anything else! Just keep what I have. But the Voigtlander does seem interesting. Is there much of a physical size difference between the two? I've been contemplating picking up a 90/4 of one flavor or another just for something even smaller since I mostly use that focal length during the day and often stopped down a bit anyway. It seems none of the 90/4s I've read about, other than the current macro, are optically competitive with the faster variants...
Charles - love the look of the DR... The rigid is a lens I've also been considering...
Phil - ZM21 makes sense. Stopped down past f/5.6 you'll be hard pressed to see much difference between it and the SEM. Are you looking for a Sonnar in Leica mount, or would a Contax RF version be an option? You'd have to buy the necessary Amedeo Contax-Leica adapter for it... Popflash has both listed at the moment here.
There's also one here in Toronto.
Joakim - an interesting collection. Also reminds me of Luka's Stockholm construction site photography.
Manoj - interesting to see a shopping mall in your neck of the world.. looks pretty familiar. Not surprised you ran into some resistance to your photography. Probably would have been less of a problem if you were using a smartphone, but with a 'real' camera, people can quickly become suspicious about motives. With it being on private property too, it's not unusual for there to be restrictions on photography, assuming property rights are similar to here. Mall management is not keen on having patrons 'hassled' by keen photographers.
Ash - congrats on the M240 to you too!
Gary - good job on the apocalyptic landscape.
Michael - love the set a couple pages back, particularly the lunch bike and especially your son jumping on the bed!

Feb 17, 2014 at 04:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jojomon11
• • • • •
p.855 #11 · p.855 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron I was contemplating purchasing it when I saw it a pop flash

The front and rear element, had what appeared to be micro dents on it, I will email them tomm and find out

Thanks! Phil

Nice stuff in these last few pages Joe, Uhoh, and everyone else added likes

Feb 17, 2014 at 04:19 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.855 #12 · p.855 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
My last real dilema is the 135. Keh sent me a tele-elmar with perfect glass and a multiated flange Made some shots with it, but OMG is it a pig. 505 grams--that's OK for a superspeed lens, but an f/4 it's past the pale. This was the early version at a good price. Obviously I have to return it.

I fear I may need to bite the bullet on the APO, which is still a wallmart shopper at 450 grams.

2500 seems to be rock bottom right now on the leica 135/3.4...yikes. But it's a crucial FL for me in
...Show more

Hmmm. I have 2 late M135 Tele-Elmars, one for M and one custom for Canon EOS. They are about as close as you can get to APO quality and you can shoot wide open f/4, and at 1/5 the cost of the APO. This is one of those hidden gems, like the latest M90 Elmarit. Give it a chance.

Feb 17, 2014 at 06:10 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.855 #13 · p.855 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

@Joe and JIm

This TE 135 copy is unusable due to the flange issue it has. I could return it and ask for an exchange. They are pretty inexpensive--I paid 285 from keh for this one.

some shots from it:

L1003900 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003949 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003953 by unoh7, on Flickr

I know the lore around the lens, as I've been reading up. I don't doubt it does well, but it is so heavy. I found the handling really poor. The APO is only 50 grams lighter, I know.

In this respect the TE or even the APO can't hold a candle to the CVs like the skopars, 75/2.5 and 90/3.5, which are a fraction of it's weight and seem to me equal to their leica equivalents in performance. Sean Reid felt the 75 is equal to the leica 75 cron. It's very small.

The M9 itself is large and heavy to my taste--the A7 is no better. Those original 1920's leicas were more like it I'm no fan of the RF in real world focusing, and it's flat out inferior to the A7 with fast and long lenses. Very quaint, yes--practical no.

Obviously it's fine when you have a decent DOF.

The latest EVFs are great and Sony has the MF aids down. Too bad they can't get their sensor act together.

Anyway, I love the M9, quirks and all, and it's a charming camera to shooter and subject, but Oskar must be rolling in his grave at the size of the body and lenses like the 90 crons etc.

But, I know we are all different and I don't expect my ways or views are the only ones.

@ Ron

The 90 lanthar is way smaller and a full 100 grams lighter than the summarit. It's nothing to carry, and so cheap you don't worry it could be hurt. I'm going to start shooting it a bunch, because it will be so nice to ski with, so we'll see just how good it really is Hood and cap are 23 grams, I don't imagine the summarit hood is any lighter or smaller ( I'm using a nice heavystar 46 hood and cap with it). The lanthar also has external threads like the 90/2.5. Internal threads appear to be 39. I like the hoods because they keep the glass drier in a storm. Supposedly the summarit is really really resistant to flare, that will be another aspect to compare with the lanthar.

One last word from the 90 Summarit-M:

L1004176 by unoh7, on Flickr

Thanks for the input everyone, it helps

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:08 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.855 #14 · p.855 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Joe, Charlie and Ron, and everyone for all the likes
Charlie, very nice series!!
Joe, and yes more fun with the M240 Great shots, and love the B&W richness.

Shots from this evening. M240 and 50 Cron Rigid 1964.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM
AshNZ
• •
p.855 #15 · p.855 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles - your Gold Coast shots always make me miss my (second) home! Houston is nothing like Perth. I envy your beach walks

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:10 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.855 #16 · p.855 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles I really like the pink thing you have going there in the first two...

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:19 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.855 #17 · p.855 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments Robert, Ron, Phil, Charles and everyone else for the likes.

Charles, excellent series from the Gold Coast with the 50DR.

Ron, yes, I exposed for the highlights in the snow scene, so each shot was probably 2-3 stops underexposed and I pulled it back in LR5.

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:05 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.855 #18 · p.855 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Just calibrated my monitor and everyones photos are looking a LOT better now
(not that they weren't good before)

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:14 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.855 #19 · p.855 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles I have to agree I like the pink in the first two shots and particularly in the 2nd one.

But I am really drawn most to the 4th shot with the subtle blues and as I look at it I keep finding more elements in the overall image that catches my eyes.

Feb 17, 2014 at 04:22 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.855 #20 · p.855 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
which is still a wallmart shopper at 450 grams.

Too funny Charlie….

Feb 17, 2014 at 06:12 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password