FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              844      
       846              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

atwl77
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.845 #1 · p.845 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Katie, interesting processing with those portraits. The 50/1.5 Nokton is quite a sharp lens, isn't it? The only thing I can't get used to is that sharp, knurled focusing rings... it gets uncomfortable after a while.

Everyone else, great shots. I haven't had time to post or comment this past week because I was on vacation, back in my hometown of Penang (Malaysia) for the Chinese Lunar New Year holidays where I mainly just lurked and Liked on my mobile.

Street photography was on my 2014 new year resolution, and I had the opportunity to give it a shot during my vacation. I have to admit that I picked a very easy target for my first time out: Armenian Street, which is a very heavy tourist spot, and I was shooting hyperfocal at 28mm f/16 which pretty much took care of focusing.

Feb 06, 2014 at 03:55 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.845 #2 · p.845 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Everyone: thanks for your comments and likes. I've been absent again and have gone through the last couple pages and added my likes. Please excuse my brevity of comments at the moment.

Peter: thanks for your additional feedback. That's pretty much my feeling of how the M9 will work in the cold based on my experience with it last year. This year it's definitely different and it can't just be firmware related, as I believe I've been using the same firmware for over a year. I have five batteries and can use them all in one day, such as at weddings. It's an aspect of the M240 that should be an improvement, as noted by Adam. Three batteries should last forever. I was out a couple more times since last posting. Once over the weekend during a snowfall where temperature was just below freezing, and the camera worked fine. Yesterday I was out during a blizzard during which the temperature was lower by a few degrees, but it was very windy. And the camera started locking up again from pretty early on. I was using my 'best' newest battery too... Basically, if I shot more than one image while the camera was writing to the card, there was a high probability of losing all but the first image. So, for the rest of the outing, I would only shoot one image, then wait until the red activity light turned off before making another image... I still haven't tried the latest firmware, or my hand warmer theory. To me at least, something doesn't seem right with the camera if this is happening now, but wasn't a problem last winter in similar conditions, same firmware, etc..

Adam: thanks for your thoughts and agree the reasons you mention as advantages for the M240 are also attractive to my style of shooting. Regarding CCD vs. CMOS rendering: I agree here too! When the M240 started shipping and people were posting side by side M9 and M240 DNGs, after playing with a few sets, I found it to be relatively easy to equalize each to the other. Yes, they each require different settings, but it is possible. I've been a Canon shooter for ages, and having recently tried a number of Sony cameras, I find both have similar qualities to their files as starting points, and therefore am used to the supposed flatter 'CMOS look' which likely will also be the case for the M240. I believe this might actually be a good thing for the wedding work I have coming this year, which will all be processed by someone else used to processing Canon files.

Interesting observations and theory about sensor reflectance affecting lens rendering. I can believe this could happen, as it's been known a long time that light reflecting off the sensor and back into the lens is a cause for image degradation. I would think Leica's lens designers would compensate for this in their latest designs, but one wonders about somewhat older lenses such as the 28 Cron...

Feb 06, 2014 at 05:15 PM
ocean2059
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.845 #3 · p.845 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
By the way, I did some infinity comparisons between M9 with ZM 35/2 and 50/2, and A7 with FE 35/2.8 and 55/1.8.

Without boring you with meaningless test shots and 100% crops, I found out that overall the ZM 35/2 is clearly superior to the the FE 35/2.8, except in the very extreme corners where the ZM is known to have a weakness. The FE 35 is a pancake lens and it seems some compromises have been made. Not too bad but the ZM really sparkles.

As for the ZM 50/2, unfortunately it doesn't compare favorably as it has no way to
...Show more

Ed, I always enjoy your images in this thread, as well as in A7/A7r thread. But overall, I much prefer the look, color and rendering of your images taken with M9 and ZF lenses. I am interested in your thoughts.

Feb 06, 2014 at 09:29 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.845 #4 · p.845 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Rory, excellent moment caught!
Ryan, really nice B&W shots!
Jud, powerful street captures! Love them all
Gary, great shots with the ZM 25!
Joakim, wonderful capture of the mood in your image!! I really like the framing and toning of the last shot
Edward, great stuff! So glad Leica came to assist. Very nice street captures
Katie, very nice PP'ing and shots
Adrian, love the street compositions!
Charlie, love the 28 Cron on the M9! The CV 75 is a great lens too.

Bijltje wrote:
How about close focus distance? I know the FE55 is great at infinity but I almost never reach infinity. How is it at more close distances compared to the ZM50 planar (and in my case 50 cron V5)

Still heavenly debating if I add the FE55 only for my A7 in addition to my M9p with 50cron, or if I keep using the 50 cron on both and add a 90 elmarit-m. Which also can be used on both.

I'm a little afraid I'm gonna miss the close focus range of the FE when used with the A7.

The FE 55 is a superb lens, and I can only speak with respect to the A7r, I have not seen such an amazing lens. Wide open and close is probably the strength of the FE 55. For portraits at close to medium are excellent combined with the high DR. I have added a recent photo at a function. I apologize for posting a A7r/FE55 image, but I do know a lot of people who now using the A7/A7r as a backup. Does not take away from the simplicity and ease of using the M system, but for traveling I will have both with me.

Feb 07, 2014 at 12:43 AM
rirakuma
• • •
p.845 #5 · p.845 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice one Charles , you seem to be using the A7r a lot more than the M these days. Sony has really hit a home run with the 55mm, its technically superb just how I remember Zeiss lenses are when I used them on the D800. I can't wait to see what kind of wide angles they're going to bring out for the A7. It would be amazing if they could bring something in the league of 21mm ZE/ZF.

I've finally got a day off so I went hiking to test out the M8. In short I feel that the files are much easier to work with to get the look that I want. Colours are strong but doesn't have the digital punch that the M tends to have. I still feel that the M is a better camera due to its technical superiority and better construction. The M8 is however a very nice companion to the M, they look and feel identical but the output and perspective is so different it feels like a different tool. Sorry for all the nature images, I haven't been in touch with a lot of my peers so I'm stuck with trees .

Feb 07, 2014 at 01:14 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.845 #6 · p.845 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ocean2059 wrote:
Ed, I always enjoy your images in this thread, as well as in A7/A7r thread. But overall, I much prefer the look, color and rendering of your images taken with M9 and ZF lenses. I am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks for the kind words! This is actually one of my dilemmas My photographers friends prefer the rendering of the M9 but the non photographers (the majority) prefer the look of the A7

Feb 07, 2014 at 02:34 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.845 #7 · p.845 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles, thanks! Indeed Leica was very kind to provide me with the loaner. I truly appreciate that, even if it came a bit too late.

Feb 07, 2014 at 02:37 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.845 #8 · p.845 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward - glad to hear you got a loaner and I also like the M9 output better.
Charles - very nice shot. Glad to hear you are enjoying the A7r
Rocky - nice work with the M8! I really like shot #2.

Been real cold here lately so not much ambition to get out and shoot. I was planning on going to the mountains tomorrow morning for sunrise but the -32C forecast is a deterrent.

ZM25

ZM25

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:15 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.845 #9 · p.845 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

But Gary it was so nice and warm out today. -32 isn't all that bad. If you don't get out and shoot how are you going to convince me that a rangefinder is something I should have. Then again it is easy for me to say when I haven't been out shooting either. Now if I had a new rangefinder to play with....

I like the 2nd canoe's from that shot I can see spring is almost here.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:34 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.845 #10 · p.845 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Robert. The weather in Calgary looked OK (low -22C) but Banff was supposed to be real cold. You should pick up a Leica - you just may like it! If you get the M240, you can adapt your Costal Optics lens to it. That would probably be a first!

Feb 07, 2014 at 02:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

burningheart
• • • •
p.845 #11 · p.845 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I can relate I was going to drive up to Edmonton for the day, but don't want to drive back on QEII this evening with the snow heading south towards us.

M240 is tempting, but so is the Monochrom. Many a time I have been shooting IR I wished I could also shoot pure B&W. I blame Phase One for that desire when I saw the IQ260 Achromatic last year I was hooked, but price brings one back down to earth.

Yeah I know the M240 or any of my Dslr's can be made B&W with PP but I then again extreme alt is so alluring.

If the Monochrom was built with the M240 specs 24 MP etc it would be impossible to resist, for now I will just keep looking at M240 and Monochrom images until resistance is futile.

Feb 07, 2014 at 02:36 PM
atwl77
• •
p.845 #12 · p.845 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Just playing around with shadows and patterns (M240 with ZM28/2.8):

On a side note, I forgot to mention that amidst all the discussion about M240 issues, my experience during my vacation in Penang was nearly perfect. "Nearly" being I almost never ran into any lockups or other issues, except one random instance where I ended up with two completely black frames. I remember they were there when I shot them, even zoomed in to preview sharpness, continued shooting for a bit, then when I got home they were black.

I was shooting with several Sandisk 95mbps cards ranging from 8, 16 and 32GB capacity; the two black frames occurred on the 16GB card. The only likely explanation I can think of is that they were a part of 3-4 shots that I snapped in rapid succession, and that was the only time I shot that way.

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:03 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.845 #13 · p.845 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Good to hear Adrian. Last night, I finally did the SDformatter trick on my card and it did speed up the start up time a bit. I think I will do the rest of my cards….

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:22 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.845 #14 · p.845 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Are people still experiencing M240 problems? atwl77 are you the only one?

Anyway, aside from my reflection theory. Theoretically if I calibrated an M9 and M240 there shouldn't be an issue with colors (exactly the same right). So do people prefer the outdated M9 because they couldn't be bothered to calibrate every time they go outside (or however often you have to shoot a calibration card?)
Well.. For the people who like the M9 better, do you guys feel it's because the base output is better, or is there still some debate about the advantages of CCD, and if so, what do you feel they are from a technology standpoint?

Thoughts?

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:20 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.845 #15 · p.845 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Busy week for me, glad to see everyones images, added likes!

Phil

MM w/24 SEM

Feb 07, 2014 at 10:55 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.845 #16 · p.845 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Phil: superb.

13 yr old dog ready for action:

L1003145 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003194 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003216 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003220 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003250 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003288 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003303 by unoh7, on Flickr

28 cron and 50 cron. I returned hex 90/2.8 and have an Elmarit-M 90 coming. The Hex seemed like it could be great, but my M9 did not want to focus that copy. I'm hoping a bgn Keh elmarit-m 90 will do.

Feb 08, 2014 at 02:47 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.845 #17 · p.845 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Uhoh, your area has soooo many photo opportunities, it make me want to relocate there

Phil

MM w/24 SEM again

Feb 08, 2014 at 03:11 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.845 #18 · p.845 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

21SEM

Feb 08, 2014 at 05:22 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.845 #19 · p.845 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary what is the white formations?

The 24 SEM is an amazingly sharp lens and so small and light, now I need to get my hands on a 21 SEM

Phil

MM w/24 SEM again

PAST MEETS MODERN

Feb 08, 2014 at 02:33 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.845 #20 · p.845 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Gary what is the white formations?

I bet you Gary was shooting at Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone National Park. The white is limestone

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/nmammoth.htm

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password