FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              843      
       845              1381       1382       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.844 #1 · p.844 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ryan: great shots! Love the corners on shot one, and the light on the last You show what the MM can do--sweet textures on the second shot.

Rirakuma: love that shot with the guy and the birds.

Jud, you are killing it with those parade shots

@burningheart. I'm only a Leicafilly, but TY for kind sentiments.

L1002770 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002776 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002847 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002875 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002887 by unoh7, on Flickr

Last a selfie: you can see the frankenfinder

All these with the zm18. I have a relationship with certain local cars sort of like Phillip Reeve has with particular sheep But he is alot better shooter.

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:44 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.844 #2 · p.844 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

In case you were wondering - this is the mode of transportation us Canadians take from our Igloos to work each day….

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

Feb 04, 2014 at 03:49 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.844 #3 · p.844 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks to all for the many likes and comments!

So many good pictures from everyone thanks for sharing.

Ron, the battery problem in the cold was my biggest fear with the M9-P, since the battery itself and the power management are so bad. Therefore I left with a total of 6 batteries, yes a lot of money...I know! The ones are not in use I kept always in the warm pocked and the camera with one lens attached and one more lens in the bottom of a revolver pocked from lowepro, in front of my chest, which gives also a bit of warmth when walking. On one day with -34°C and almost no wind I came along with 3 batteries and on a day with -15°C but a hell of a storm, but good light, I needed 5 batteries. Five of them are new and the 6th came with the used bodey I bought.
This vacation I had no problems with the power management/batteries because the longest was two night that I was away but next year I will probably make again a multiple days tent tour, where I will run out of power pretty fast. This is then the time where I will be happy to have a MP as well.
I found it also to be a great challenge, just like with the MP last year, the tears in the eyes from the cold wind and the condensation (outside) if not careful on the finder. It can be handled but it makes precise manual focusing a bit more troublesome.

Feb 04, 2014 at 10:46 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.844 #4 · p.844 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi guys,

Haven't been on in a while, I'm going back through the pages now. I sent all my gear in to calibrated (M240 fell out of alignment again after only two weeks), and am having the 50APO checked out again, as when it came back the last time, it was better with the CVF, but was overall less contrasty and less colorful (weird, I know). Anyway, it's all coming back soon, so hopefully they've sorted it out.

Anyway, Ron, to toss in my opinion.. I was actually looking to buy an M9p, and I had a long discussion with my friend about colors, he told me to check out his pictures so I went over, and he showed me a side by side shot of his baby and asked me what camera took what. Basically IDENTICAL, he then told me that it was because he calibrates his monitors and cameras, and where he can, uses White balance cards.. And honestly, the results were pretty shocking at base ISO. Both cameras were nearly identical in color. So the whole CCD / CMOS thing is kinda mythbusted for me (at base iso, keeping in mind I didn't zoom in to see the actual structure of the pixels and color transitions, just modest on screen viewing). But do keep in mind that OOC raw is completely different from both cameras, and you might like the OOCR starting point of the M9 much better then the M240.

One thing I have noticed though, and I use to think it was a DR issue, but it seems that some lenses react differently to the M240 then to the M9, and I'm developing a theory that it has to do with the reflection on the sensor. It seems to be the only way to explain why my M240 shots with (primarily) the 28cron don't look as "magic" as my shots with the M9.. And I've fussed with the contrast and curves and color... Still no way of getting them to look the same. It would also explain why I don't like a lot of my lenses (not just wides) on the A7 camera (my 50lux is probably the best performing lens from Leica on the A7). Also note, CVF is not an issue on the M9 for the 50APO, but is a huge issue on my M240 with the 50APO.

So take into account there will be a color adjustment period, and maybe my sensor reflection theory is true, and you'll have to reacquaint yourself with the nuances of certain lenses. BUT everything else on the M240 is better then the M9, it's faster, the camera feels better in the hand, the RF feels more accurate, and easier to focus, the addition of LV is useful in some rare cases (although the A7 does it better). Battery life is great.. I have two, but could probably use one for two full days of shooting (I rarely chimp though).

BTW, I actually dislike my A7, and I'm using it almost exclusively with my favorite lens (50 MPZE, well now second fav since the 50APO came along). But seriously the same gripes I have with my new A99 work setup, I have with the A7.. I feel that Sony is slower with electronics then even the M240! I honestly find everything about the A99 and A7 to be a pain aside from the ZA lenses and fact that I can adapt good lenses to the A7.. And of course I don't mind the sensors. I honestly feel like the Sony system is a slow little brother to the Nikon or Canon systems when it comes to interface, but is great/best when it comes to image quality.

Anyway, sorry for the long block of text.. Great photos everyone!!
I'll be posting some soon (and hopefully my color calibration set with get here soon, I've been really into printing lately, so I'm going to go full hog and calibrate all my gear/systems/setup). Any tips would be welcome!

Best!

Feb 04, 2014 at 03:44 PM
leonasj
• •
p.844 #5 · p.844 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdevilde,i have M9,i love sharpness,maybe CCD better than CMOS,but see comparison steve huff and M240 a little sharper and colors are little warmer.So I am selling my M9 for M240,as A7r not really good works with rangfinder lenses

Feb 04, 2014 at 04:04 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.844 #6 · p.844 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Amazing Gary, I scrolled up from the bottom and something said 'Looks like one of the Lake communities here' and when I got to the top of the post there was your name.

Good thing you know all about the movement of the Zamboni, cause that first shot the driver just doesn't see you, but I see you placed yourself beyond the turn. Nice pictures.

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:18 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.844 #7 · p.844 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Question all,

Having a 28 now, do you think a 24 is too close similarly? whereas the 21 might be a better choice? I know some people have a set of lens with the 3 preferred focals (i.e. 28, 50, 90 or 21, 35, 90 etc…..)

I am aware the 28 and 24 are different focal lengths and there is a difference esp. for wide angles, but trying to make a choice here, so any advice would help

Thanks all for your past advice and thanks Charles for recommending the 21 SEM , your making me think to much

Phil

I felt my 28cron and 21SEM were close (but I love them both).. Though when I looked for lenses I'd like to try the 21lux and 24lux caught my eye, and after careful review, I think the 24lux is more what I'm looking for in a lens.

So despite the fact that 21 and 28 are close, I'm seriously considering the 24lux.

Funny Also thinking about buying a secondary M240 (although originally was going to buy two M9 cameras, see post above for reason why I'm leaning towards 2x M240) and giving it a serious go wedding photography wise. I'm kinda getting sick of DSLRS and I've only had the Sony A99 setup for a couple of months (already sick of Canon and Nikon), and already using my Leica for a lot of other corporate client work. I'm just at the point where I think I can slow down dramatically, and still get shots clients would be happy with. Never been much of a machine gunner anyway.

SOOO I think I'll be in LA in March, if anyone in the area wants me to tag along as a second shooter on a wedding assignment, I'll bring my Leica, just PM me

If I do decide to ditch DSLRs, then here's to hoping my Leica gear doesn't have any more major issues!

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:25 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.844 #8 · p.844 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

leonasj wrote:
adamdevilde,i have M9,i love sharpness,maybe CCD better than CMOS,but see comparison steve huff and M240 a little sharper and colors are little warmer.So I am selling my M9 for M240,as A7r not really good works with rangfinder lenses

I don't think it has anything to do with CCD or CMOS.. The colors are just different straight out of camera, even when shooting raw with the same exact color balance (at near base iso values). The problem goes away once you calibrate the cameras/lenses together. Save for the DR which can be adjusted in curves.

So the only other visual anomalies seem lens dependent, which is why I think it's actually the coating on the sensor that creates the visual differences, something to do with the way the senor reflects light perhaps? I'm not an engineer, I couldn't tell you honestly, hence just a theory of mine.

Anyway, both cameras are great, just slightly different if you don't have the time/patients to calibrate properly.

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:29 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.844 #9 · p.844 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Thanks for the input guys!

I had the CV 21 ultron w/vf and did not like the focal length, never really was not that excited for my style of shooting, it sat in my closet for 2 months before I got rid of it. Maybe so, also I just never took the advantage of it, will have to re-think on the 21 or just take one out and force myself to use that lens only for the day.

I am really leaning towards the 24 3.8 elmar asph for it's great sharpness WO, contrast, and compact size, and lens filter size to
...Show more

If your basing your decision on the fact that you had the 21ultron, I'd suggest you not.
I had both the 21ultron and the 21/f4 ZM, and they both "tainted" my 21mm user experience. Not saying that they aren't good lenses, just didn't give me the WOW I was looking for, so they never got used.. Getting the 21SEM was a whole new ballgame.

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:35 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.844 #10 · p.844 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Well, Charlie, as long as your M9 works, enjoy it. It seems Leica ran out of some spare parts including sensors. The latest sensor batch has a problem with the coatings that will delaminate. They have used the bad batch also on ME and MM cameras. My understanding is that they have changed the entire sensor toppings, so those who get new sensors may get different results than before.

I am also quite puzzled by their lack of courtesy. After I've heard only nice things about their customer service, I am shocked by the way they treat me. After it
...Show more

YEP.. It's this lack of customer support that has me annoyed as well. And has stopped me from investing in an S-system for serious business use (funny, now I'm on the verge of using the M system for that!).

I was told that now that they are shifting to the new HQ, and even though the productivity won't really increase, they do have a lot more offices for administration/CS/etc, and they are going to be vastly more organized as far as spare parts cataloging etc are concern. SOO what I've been told, and time will tell, is that although they won't be able to produce lenses/camera bodies much faster.. If there is a problem, the response time will be faster, and the communication channels will improve vastly. So the expected "pro-level service" will be realized.

I was told the reason behind this was, Leica realizes it's a luxury brand, and they're trying bring up their level of customer service to match the brand. That and I guess it's easier to hire secretaries then skilled laborers.

Again, I was told this by Leica, but who knows until it happens.

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joakim
• • • •
p.844 #11 · p.844 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

From p. 889:

Phil, the second from last with the shadows on the wall is great.
Ryan, I like the lines and also what you've done in post with #1
rirakuma, great portrait.
Jud, I really like that are right in the middle of the action in that set.
Charlie, nice work with the ZM 18. My favorite is #3
Gary, very nice photos with the ZM 25.

From a gloomy Stockholm this morning, M9 and 35 Lux

Feb 04, 2014 at 06:50 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.844 #12 · p.844 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Continuing with "liking" everyone's work.

Did some different processing on these, as they are going to be on a card with text, and are supposed to be "pretend", so I was okay going kinda far with these.

Leica M-E and Nokton 50 1.5 (seem to be using this 50mm lots lately)

Feb 05, 2014 at 02:07 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.844 #13 · p.844 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

And same setup, but with the small fry of a kid. He is ridiculous, so I included some outtakes...

Feb 05, 2014 at 02:09 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.844 #14 · p.844 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Katie, great set From gang member to duck ...?

One from today with M9 and 35 Lux

Feb 05, 2014 at 06:50 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.844 #15 · p.844 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice one Joakim

L1002976 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1002979 by unoh7, on Flickr
These two are CV 75/2.5

L1002927 by unoh7, on Flickr
Cron 28 f/11 I'm learning the cron is really good at 11 and 16 compared to many of my other lenses.

L1002944 by unoh7, on Flickr
CV75 f/8

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:42 AM
tophoto.
• •
p.844 #16 · p.844 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

2 street shots today from the Seahawk return parade in Seattle. Both with the 50 nokton.

Seahawks post Superbowl return parade by Thomas O'Connell, on Flickr

Soldier with a Camera by Thomas O'Connell, on Flickr

Feb 06, 2014 at 04:53 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.844 #17 · p.844 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Got my loaner M9 from the Thai distributor today. Just a couple of snapshots really. Missed the ergonomics and simplicity of the Leica.

M9 - ZM 50/2 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M9 - ZM 50/2 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:27 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.844 #18 · p.844 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

By the way, I did some infinity comparisons between M9 with ZM 35/2 and 50/2, and A7 with FE 35/2.8 and 55/1.8.

Without boring you with meaningless test shots and 100% crops, I found out that overall the ZM 35/2 is clearly superior to the the FE 35/2.8, except in the very extreme corners where the ZM is known to have a weakness. The FE 35 is a pancake lens and it seems some compromises have been made. Not too bad but the ZM really sparkles.

As for the ZM 50/2, unfortunately it doesn't compare favorably as it has no way to compete with the superb resolution of the FE, which is considered one of the best standard lenses currently, slightly behind the Otus. Only at f/8 I may have found a slight advantage for the ZM but only in the very center of the frame (probably the FE is already suffering from some diffraction), everywhere else the FE is just amazing.

PS: I have to revise my comments about the FE 35. With a very slight sharpening, the FE files are comparable to the ZM 35. The initial difference could be due to the AA filter on the A7, but in any case, the difference is not night and day as I thought initially.

Edited on Feb 06, 2014 at 09:43 AM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2014 at 09:17 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.844 #19 · p.844 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
By the way, I did some infinity comparisons between M9 with ZM 35/2 and 50/2, and A7 with FE 35/2.8 and 55/1.8.

Without boring you with meaningless test shots and 100% crops, I found out that overall the ZM 35/2 is clearly superior to the the FE 35/2.8, except in the very extreme corners where the ZM is known to have a weakness. The FE 35 is a pancake lens and it seems some compromises have been made. Not too bad but the ZM really sparkles.

As for the ZM 50/2, unfortunately it doesn't compare favorably as it has no way to
...Show more

How about close focus distance? I know the FE55 is great at infinity but I almost never reach infinity. How is it at more close distances compared to the ZM50 planar (and in my case 50 cron V5)

Still heavenly debating if I add the FE55 only for my A7 in addition to my M9p with 50cron, or if I keep using the 50 cron on both and add a 90 elmarit-m. Which also can be used on both.

I'm a little afraid I'm gonna miss the close focus range of the FE when used with the A7.

Feb 06, 2014 at 09:43 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.844 #20 · p.844 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Bijltje wrote:
How about close focus distance? I know the FE55 is great at infinity but I almost never reach infinity. How is it at more close distances compared to the ZM50 planar (and in my case 50 cron V5)

Still heavenly debating if I add the FE55 only for my A7 in addition to my M9p with 50cron, or if I keep using the 50 cron on both and add a 90 elmarit-m. Which also can be used on both.

I'm a little afraid I'm gonna miss the close focus range of the FE when used with the A7.

I haven't done any comparisons up close, but from my experience with both, I would say the same comments are valid except for the bokeh, that I really prefer on the ZM. The Sonnar bokeh while being very good on its own is not as smooth as the planar. In fact, the amount of detail I am getting from the Sonnar in portraits is just unbelievable. I can count facial hair and every pore if I wanted to.

Feb 06, 2014 at 09:48 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password