Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              843      
       845              1062       1063       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.844 #1 · p.844 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Charles, I was gonna buy the ice light as you recommended a few months back. but when I saw the price, I just about fell over my chair

Nobber question Charles, does the OLY VF2 help w/focusing? or just comp like the leica VF?

Phil

Hi Phil, yes the Oly VF2 on the M240 is amazing for the 50 Nocti f/1.0, 75 Lux and 90 Cron. It is the fine detail when you want to nail, eyelashes/highlights in the eyes that it comes in so handy. There is a thought the Oly VF4 may become compatible when Leica updates the firmware again! IMO the EVF for serious portraits is a must have now. Also if the calibration drifts with the RF, you have a backup

I don't think any of the LED lighting setups are cheap, but they are very convenient and light! I dislike flash setups, and it is hard to get a feel for the lighting when you are moving around.

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:34 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.844 #2 · p.844 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Thanks Adam,

When I followed Edwards advise, my hit rate went back up to 90% plus! Pretty stoked with the 90 now

The 1.25 I def. need for the 50 and 35's

Phil

You're much better at nailing focus then I am
Do you think something is wrong with your 1.4x mag?

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:13 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.844 #3 · p.844 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

jojomon - The EVF is a bit slower, but helps you hit focus. I find that for it to be as accurate as the RF, you have to zoom in at least 5x, so it definitely takes getting use to, and again a slower process.

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:18 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.844 #4 · p.844 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks again guys!

Yeah, the guy on the bench was a lucky find.

seekuh wrote:
Ron, glad you are back! And what a fantastic image! Interesting you pushed clarity up to its limits. I've been rather reluctant to do so but will try it where possible.

Thanks Hilmar! Sorry, I missed your comment earlier. I only added clarity to the top half of the image. Lately I've been toning down my use of clarity. In fact, for many of the wedding images, I had LR 4.4 between -10 and -20 clarity. I find it's a lot more complementary to skin complexion, especially the ladies. There are some B&W conversions I did from my Canon & 85L of the guys where I cranked up clarity a fair amount, because it worked with the higher contrast and harder light.

It's funny how we go through these PP phases. Looking back at my early M9 & ZM lens images, I definitely liked cranking up clarity a lot! But after spending $$$$$ on Leica glass, it does seem a shame to hide their inherent look under a pile of processing...

Phil: which 90 Cron did you get? Seems we're all assuming it's the AA (latest version)? While I haven't used that one, it does seem to have a relatively fast focus throw compared to the older designs, which could make hitting focus more challenging. So far the one time I got to use a 75 Lux and 50/1, I found my hit rate very high because of the longer focus throw. The 85/2 Sonnar is similar with a helicoid specifically designed to allow more precise focus at longer distances, and pretty consistently nailed focus with it, too.

Adrian: The light was a video LED light, so not a large panel. It wasn't mine, so don't recall the specifics, but it was dimmable and you could adjust the WB quality from tungsten to daylight. A larger panel would give a somewhat softer/larger light source look. But it's also one more thing to carry around... I still find a flash to be more useful because it'll output enough power for sunlight fill if needed, and doesn't take up a lot of space in the bag. I use a Canon 600 EX-RT with the M9 because it works with my Canons and has the handy built in radio TTL trigger feature. But it also has an auto-thyristor mode that will automatically adjust light output for different subject distances at a given f/stop, which is very useful with the M9 because I don't want to carry around a separate Leica TTL flash just for it. Yeah, the 600 is too big for the M9, but there are very few auto-thyristor and bounce flashes still available in this age of TTL everything...

Some more to keep the thread moving.

These were all with the 21 Lux. I wasn't using a ND, so the middle three might have been at f/2-2.8, but maybe not. The second was cropped a bit, probably about to a 28mm equivalent. Mostly to cut off the left edge and empty top of the frame. The bridesmaid's body and arm at the left was looking a bit distorted and too wide. The last one was f/11. This lens is pretty versatile, but CA is fairly strong and was pretty evident in the trees of the last image. Fortunately it cleans up in LR with one click. For images like the last shot, I would normally have used the SEM, but for whatever reason, didn't have time to change lenses. If I'm going to stop down past f/2.8 I just like the look/sharpness from the SEM better, as well as the smaller size.

Dec 02, 2013 at 05:37 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.844 #5 · p.844 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great shots Ron.. I'm also finding that I like the subtle rendering of the noct and 50apo so much that it irks me to edit. But I always end up editing anyway!

Dec 02, 2013 at 07:20 AM
seekuh
• •
p.844 #6 · p.844 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks again guys!

Yeah, the guy on the bench was a lucky find.

Thanks Hilmar! Sorry, I missed your comment earlier. I only added clarity to the top half of the image. Lately I've been toning down my use of clarity. In fact, for many of the wedding images, I had LR 4.4 between -10 and -20 clarity. I find it's a lot more complementary to skin complexion, especially the ladies. There are some B&W conversions I did from my Canon & 85L of the guys where I cranked up clarity a fair amount, because it worked with the higher contrast and
...Show more

Wonderful shots, Ron. I agree with the statement that you are the master of wide angle lenses.

I think it's a good thing to go through these PP stages and that's why I love to read about your PP with respect to certain images. It helps me to reconsider and improve my own workflow.

Have you made your decision on whether or not purchasing the Sony A7(R)? I still don't know although the cameras are supposed to cooperate well with my lenses.

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Fursan
• •
p.844 #7 · p.844 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks folks for the ' likes '.

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:09 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.844 #8 · p.844 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Some more from SF/LA:
50APO @ f/2

1)

2)

3)

4)

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:55 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.844 #9 · p.844 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles yes led lights are expensive , I'm finding them mandatory for certain applications, even though for many years I avoided all types of any staged lighting w/my M's as well as my dslr's. I ended up ordering the oly vf-2, so will see how that improves my accuracy .

Adam, I am not sure if it's a bunk mag or not, I only know it does not work well with my M or MM copy, I had another 1.4 mag about a year ago and was issue free. I suspect it's not the mags, but it is my eyesight which has been getting worse this year. I think what Ron said was correct, if I am in focus patch and just use my instincts and just shoot would get me better results and it has. Nice sourdough bread shots Adam, makes me want to grab a slab of butter and down it w/a expresso.

Ron it's 1:2/90 Cron M Leitz, not 6 bit coded, excellent copy IMO. Beautiful bride shots w/beautiful women Ron. Are you manually adjusting your WB? Sometimes it's difficult for me to emulate the true color of the bride's gown, esp. if it's an ivory color which seems to be popular these days with women?

Phil

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:36 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.844 #10 · p.844 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

The sour dough is from a shop that uses something called "mother yeast" the funny thing about it, it actually tastes AWESOME (and I'm not a bread eater, I don't touch the stuff, but I'd make an exception).

BTW, send the MAG to me, I'll test it out for you

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

atwl77
• •
p.844 #11 · p.844 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, I agree with the others that you have indeed mastered wide angle. I'm still not used to anything wider than 24mm (actually sold my Canon 24L, twice, due to lack of use).

I do have a 600EX-RT and also occasionally use it in Ext M mode; also have a Metz 36 C-2 when I want to take out something lighter, and I have also asked my local dealer to order a 20 C-2 for when I really want something pocketable.

I've also tried experimenting with wireless triggering, but the ST-E3RT doesn't seem to work on M bodies. I did manage to get the ST-E2 to trigger the flashes in manual mode, so that's a good thing, but have to put up with the annoying ST-E2 going to sleep automatically and have to manually cycle the power switch to wake it up again.

Fursan -- lovely B&W scene there but I do find the foreground OOF lights a bit distracting.

Finally, here's one of my little girl at play. 50 lux at somewhere near wide open:

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:25 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.844 #12 · p.844 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, congrats on the ZM25. #3, 4 & 5 from your first set and #1 from the second set with the lens are my favorites.
Ron, great to see you posting again. Superb! Great use of the 21mm FL, we don't call you master of wide angles without a valid reason. Colors and B&W pp spot on as usual.
Fursan, post p.841 #18 is excellent, especially like the 2nd shot. The other pics are all excellent as well. Like your contrasty pp to the B&Ws.
Adrian (atwl77), congrats on your 50Lux ASPH. Really nice shots.
Edward, very nice shots on p.842 with the ZM50 & 25.
Joakim, very nice with the ZM50.
Jawad, very nice use of shadows in your shots.
nibutto, congrats on your M8 and nice selfie.
Adam, excellent shots with the 50AA from your SF sets

Gary Clennan wrote:
Joe - great to see some pics from you again. Hope you are doing well…. PS - is Gutor a UPS manufacturer? Not sure where I have heard that name before.

All is well Gary, thanks! Just need more time to take pics and process them Yes, Gutor is an industrial UPS manufacturer. Founded in Switzerland but they expanded manufacturing to Malaysia recently. We were there for our annual sales meeting and also to see the newly opened factory wing.

-----
A few with 50 0.95 from our factory visit. All shot with LV. I actually prefer LV over EVF for its higher resolution and for me to use my Thumbs up. I know it feels dorky using an M with hands outstretched but it works so far and I have over 80-90% hit rate. I just purchased a 1.4x mag to use with the 0.95 and M240 but have to wait for the camera to return from Leica NJ for pixel remapping.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:40 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.844 #13 · p.844 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

atwl77 wrote:
Finally, here's one of my little girl at play. 50 lux at somewhere near wide open:

Excellent shot Adrian. Looks like she's doing tai chi or some form of martial arts. Looked at your blog and I liked your documentary style family pics. Really nice work.

----
BTW, I was at your "backyard" last month, Met up with some friends and headed to Star Hill's Leica gallery for some coffee, gear fondling and also to view Che Mat's exhibition. Fabulous street work shot in Kuala Lumpur. He also shoots with a M9 and was recently featured in NYT lens blog. Check it out http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/a-street-level-view-of-kuala-lumpur/?_r=2

M(240), 35 Cron 8 element

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:49 PM
atwl77
• •
p.844 #14 · p.844 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Joseph. It's a bit ironic that I live in KL but rarely venture into the city itself even though it is thriving with photographic opportunities. Partly busy with family and work, and also because I hate the traffic.

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:14 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.844 #15 · p.844 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, like the first factory visit shot, you also hit focus with the guy walking!

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:22 PM
dalegaspi
• •
p.844 #16 · p.844 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

some more images with the 75 APO

in home studio with AlienBees Einstein + Large Octabox

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:50 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.844 #17 · p.844 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, amazing shots! The colors here are perfect
Adrian, very cool capture! Love the pose, almost Ninja like
Adam, very nice! Wonderful roll off and rendering.
Joe, really nice captures with the 50 Nocti 0.95, as an action cam! It must have a great experience for Che Mat Exhibition.
Dale, nice tonality and lighting for the last shot

Phil, I use all three, RF, LV and the Oly VF-2 when needing the critical focus. Of course the fastest is the RF, when it is well calibrated and the subject is relatively close. My 50 Nocti f/1.0, has a marginally back focus when stopping down between f/2.0 to f/4.0, typical for this lens though. The LV or EVF is great here. Also the 75 Lux moves slightly too. For landscapes having a subject mid distance and nearly wide open, it is virtually impossible to have this in focus, as a minor shift will then be out of focus. The EVF is great here too. I often now leave the EVF on, and easily still use the RF, when the focusing is easy. With WA's I just use the LV, as it is so much easier to frame the shots, unless you have the skills of Ron!

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:22 AM
dalegaspi
• •
p.844 #18 · p.844 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Hi Phil, yes the Oly VF2 on the M240 is amazing for the 50 Nocti f/1.0, 75 Lux and 90 Cron. It is the fine detail when you want to nail, eyelashes/highlights in the eyes that it comes in so handy. There is a thought the Oly VF4 may become compatible when Leica updates the firmware again! IMO the EVF for serious portraits is a must have now. Also if the calibration drifts with the RF, you have a backup

I don't think any of the LED lighting setups are cheap, but they are very convenient and light! I dislike flash
...Show more

Is the VF-2 as laggy as the screen LV? the screen LV is SO LAGGY i only use it for shots where I can't use the RF...if the VF-2 has the same lag, It will just end up gathering lint on my camera bag.

As for the LED, I just ordered the Genarays from B&H which are eerily similar to the much more expensive but well-regarded Ikan LED lights...i should receive them tomorrow.

LEDs are the future, IMO. strobes/flashes will still have its very specific use (action shots, etc), but for something like product shots or even portraits now to a degree, they're just more convenient...man, just thinking of the time i spent measuring light/exposure on strobes make me cringe now

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:56 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.844 #19 · p.844 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

dalegaspi wrote:
Is the VF-2 as laggy as the screen LV? the screen LV is SO LAGGY i only use it for shots where I can't use the RF...if the VF-2 has the same lag, It will just end up gathering lint on my camera bag.

As for the LED, I just ordered the Genarays from B&H which are eerily similar to the much more expensive but well-regarded Ikan LED lights...i should receive them tomorrow.

LEDs are the future, IMO. strobes/flashes will still have its very specific use (action shots, etc), but for something like product shots or even portraits now to a degree,
...Show more

Hi Dale, my preference is OVF and RF, but this is not always possible. It is wonderful to have the option of LV and EVF, both have their uses. Even with the A7r, I really don't like the EVF, in bright ambient lighting, as it makes it more difficult to compose seascapes/landscapes. The RF and LV is ideal here. Also depends on your work flow, as I have slowed down to work with the M, and it now suits my style of shooting. With the WA's, I do not like using the external VF as the framing can be quite inaccurate, so LV works well for me.

Congrats on the LED

Dec 03, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.844 #20 · p.844 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great pics everyone! Joe - great to see some more from you…

A few more from last weekend… I thought the last one was quite funny.

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

Dec 03, 2013 at 04:49 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register