L1001358 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1001370-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

m9 + 28 cron today

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:51 AM
leonasj
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.836 #3 · p.836 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

hello.friends.want to sell my M9 for M240-does idea good?me killing low iso on M9 and low Dynamic range.etc,im very happy results and free in any light on my D800E with fast 1.4 lens

M9+APO90/2ASPH

M9+APO90/2ASPH

Jan 22, 2014 at 01:25 AM
asiafish
• • •
p.836 #4 · p.836 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks all for the kind worlds.

Here is another from this morning (trash day). Leica M Monochrom at ISO 1600 with 24mm f/3.8 Elmar-M ASPH, wide-open, no filter, minimal post. Taken about 30 minutes before dawn.

L1001747-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:53 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.836 #5 · p.836 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

OR nurse and on the job for 50 years.

Jan 22, 2014 at 07:05 PM
tophoto.
• •
p.836 #6 · p.836 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Took the M9 out instead of the film M today

CV 50mm f1.5 Nokton

Guitarist at the Market by Thomas O'Connell, on Flickr

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.836 #7 · p.836 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Last week I was in the Shan State in Burma and have put together a book project, called Chiang Tung Days of some 80 pictures that you can download in the form of a 57 MB pdf file by clicking here. Below are a few pictures from this series, taken with the M9/Summicron-35v4:

Chiang Tung, Burma

Chiang Tung, Burma

Chiang Tung, Burma

Chiang Tung, Burma

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Tristes Tropiques [download link for 48 MB pdf file]

Edited on Feb 17, 2014 at 07:56 AM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.836 #8 · p.836 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Another try at some street photography. M9 and 35 Lux

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.836 #9 · p.836 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
...The latest sensor batch has a problem with the coatings that will delaminate. They have used the bad batch also on ME and MM cameras...

Edward, interesting. When I was in Paris in Aug 20–Nov 30, I had my M-Monochrom sensor cleaned by the dealer I bought it from. When he cleaned it he told me he found other "spots" that he said looked like "Newton rings." It was the first time that he had seen this problem and sent the camera to Solms for sensor replacement. Luckily, I got the camera back twelve days later, a period that included a holiday as well.

Now, I see that this must have been the delimitation problem that you refer to. I had bought my Monochrom in November 2012. I got my M9-P in February 2013 and wonder whether it might also suffer from delimitation. BTW, I'd be upset if the sensor had to replaced with on that would result in different color rendition, since I like the color that I get with this camera.

Sorry to hear that your sensor replacement is taking such a long time.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Chiang Tung Days [download link for 57 MB pdf file with pictures from Burma]

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.836 #10 · p.836 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

lots of good shots up there, tophoto, the guitarist is really striking

Last weekend I slept through my alarm and rushed to the mountain. In my right unzipped sweater pocket was my CV 75/2.5. I stumbled out of my car and it went out in it's little black pouch--I did not notice, but within a few minutes I knew it was missing.

I had only time for a quick look by the car as my group waited, no avail. In the next few days I scoured the area and checked the lost and found. No luck. I've had the lens a few years, and of course with the M9 it's especially useful.

I gave up but did put an ad in the local paper's lost and found. I was ready to spend 300 on a replacement, when yesterday a guy called me to say he had it

Today i picked it up in little working class neighborhood and went for a walk in the nearby preserve on the river.

L1001467 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1001543 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1001475 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1001488 by unoh7, on Flickr

shot 2 with CV 35/1.4, all the rest with the 75

Jan 23, 2014 at 06:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.836 #11 · p.836 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charlie - glad to hear you found your lens!

Here is an excerpt from one of my favorite Canadian photographers - David Duchemin. I really like his philosophy with photography (and also life). He recently bought a Leica and now raves about it….

The Leica M (Type 240)
What a beautiful camera to hold and photograph with. A manual-focus-only camera, it takes some getting used to but I see myself using this happily, even as my main camera, for years to come. It’s like the cameras I grew up using and I’m amazed at how muscle memory has kicked in. I can work really fast with the Leica after only 3 weeks. The ergonomics work for me, the image files are beautiful, and as long as you don’t ask it to do much in low-light, it’s amazing. Even then, I like a little grain and I shot a balloon launch at 6am in near darkness @6400 and the files are better than I expected. And when you can hand-hold this and get sharp images at almost 1/2 second shutter speed, there are times I just don’t need the higher ISO.

I used a Leica 21/3.4 lens for almost the whole trip and quickly got used to zone focusing and just raising the camera to my eye and shooting. I use the EVF (electronic viewfinder) that’s available separately, and with it I get an in-viewfinder histogram, an accurate sense of my framing, and the ability to hinge it up and shoot from my chest while looking down. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? For many people, maybe not. And until I started working with this Leica M, I was ready to just use Fuji, and for the price of the Leica and one lens you could get 2 Fujis, every lens they make, and have money left over to go somewhere amazing. But a couple weeks with it and I’m hooked. You can pry it from my cold dead fingers, if you’re willing to fight off my ghost. For me, it’s that amazing. But it’s pricey and the lenses are astonishingly expensive.

So why the Leica at all? Why spend so much on a camera? Without doubt the images are beautiful within certain constraints. But, with apologies to the purists, so are the images from the Fuji. Different, but beautiful. For me it comes down to process. It’s the reason craftsmen all prefer one tool to another. It fits better in the hand, gets out of the way when it matters, and allows me to work the way I work best. For me that’s the beauty of the Leica. It’s simplicity is worth a premium to me. I like that the buttons and dials are kept to a minimum, and I like that when I use zone focusing and I nail it, the Leica is faster than any of my DSLRS in terms of seizing the moment. All of that means I am more present in the moment and that is more important to a photographer than anything. Whatever camera does that for you is the right camera. Little else matters.

One of the barriers to my getting a Leica rangefinder before (aside from the price) has been the focusing. It’s fully manual and I’ve never found focusing a rangefinder as easy as I’d like. A friend of mine recently told me his efforts to focus his M8 were like a monkey f*cking a football. I’m not sure what that means but it paints a picture. That’d be one frustrated monkey. With the M, the electronic viewfinder (an additional accessory) and LiveView on the rear LCD helps enormously. I still use the traditional optical viewfinder to focus at times, but when using the EVF and LiveView there’s now a focusing assist which zooms in to 5x or 10x the moment you touch the focus ring, and focus is confirmed with focus peaking, the in-focus edges being highlighted with red. Combined with zone focusing (I’ll discuss this in a future article) the only other thing I needed was mindfulness, and this camera allows me to remain in the moment beautifully (as long as the EVF doesn’t hang, which it does once in a while, requiring a quick on and off of the camera).

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:52 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.836 #12 · p.836 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

OK, I've been away too long and Charlie ends up with an M9 after all the Sony a7 anticipation Where can I read about it?

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.836 #13 · p.836 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Some comments

P881

Charlie - uhoh7 - That 'malleable stewart' stove shot with the m-rokkor 40 is a beauty!

asiafish - very striking Vegas architectural images with the Monochrome

Gary C - I really like the results from the cheapo Jupiter 50/1.5 - I have the even cheaper Jupiter-8 - my 2nd M lens, when I was deluding myself that I was entering 'M world' on a small budget

leonasj - that 90/2APO gives outstanding detail - loved the bridge scene, especially when you note it;s from a jpeg

Ryan - another great shot of your son - welcome back to M9-land, interesting to hear about this return

P882

Charlie, I love the lost-and-found anecdote and the testament to the right side of human nature!
Great photos of that wonderful bridge with its 'curly-bits' on the end You achieved wonderfully saturated colours.

airfrogusmc (Allen) - what a dignified lady (the OR nurse)

tophotowa - stunning shot of the guitarist

mitch - fantastic colour in those Burmese shots. Happily, the people seem better-dressed than I expected (I am NOT commenting on fashion )

joakim - that last one is bloody hilarious!

Gary C - Duchemin article...that monkey analogy isn't one I've experienced when focusing - I must not have been using the right type of football

Well, I finally received my M9 and had fun the other evening, taking too many shots with the following lenses - Cron50 Type 4, CV90/3.5APO, ZM25 (of course) and my cheap Jupiter-8, just for the hell of it.
I was amazed by the colour richness of a shot with grass in it - very Kodakchrome, or dare I even say Velvia?

here are a couple:

1. Cron50 at f2.8, ISO640

2. ZM25 at f4.5, ISO160 - I love the highlight and shadow recovery from the DNG in C1 pro 7 - better than the M8 of course, even when shooting with its beta-mode 14bit RAW

3. Jupiter-8 at 1/6s and f6.3, ISO320. Water running over the wall in evening shadow (top and side lit)

Jan 24, 2014 at 03:00 AM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.836 #14 · p.836 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

lenticular11 wrote:
mitch - fantastic colour in those Burmese shots. Happily, the people seem better-dressed than I expected (I am NOT commenting on fashion )

lenticular11, thanks for the kind words. As I have raved in various posts in various forums, I love the color one can easily get from the M9 (even for night photography, by shooting at ISO 640 and pushing in Lightroom 5). The shots above were taken on a heavily overcast day with a very low cloud ceiling, which, whether you're shooting film or digital, can produce beautiful, saturated color. In such light, it's easy to get the exposure right and I could have used most of these shots straight out of the camera. I only made minor adjustments (in Lightroom 5)m, pressing Auto and then bringing exposure back to what it was OOC and increasing Presence slightly. Also for most of the shots I made minor adjustment in the white balance, or none at all.

I also like the rendering of the Summicron-35v4 — this was the first time that I've shot with it in color on the M9. While I have in recent years preferred the 28mm focal length to 35mm, in the markets of the Shan State towns I visited there was so much congestion, so many people in rather narrow paths or walkways, that I quickly found that, by having to shoot closer up with the 28mm (as I usually do), there is so much going on in the frame (of vision) that the photographer cannot keep track of it all when trying "to make sense of a complex scene," because one has to see things both to the left and the right at the same, and the angle of view to the edges is just wide to make sense of the scene — I mean not looking through the viewfinder, but looking at the scene before bringing the camera up to your face. Using the 35mm lens solved all that.

Although I haven't been to Rangoon, I'm told that there's much more dire poverty there than in the Shan State. I also was surprised how well-dressed the people in these pictures were, though if they did not have appropriate clothing they'd be very cold, because the temperature in the mornings was 10–12°C, and less for those who came down from higher altitude hills.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Chiang Tung Days [direct download link for pdf file for book project]

Edited on Jan 25, 2014 at 08:53 PM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2014 at 03:34 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.836 #15 · p.836 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
OK, I've been away too long and Charlie ends up with an M9 after all the Sony a7 anticipation Where can I read about it?

Yes, Charlie has (kind of) moved to the dark side. Pretty sure he is still lovin' the A7 at the same time though. I suppose one does not really need to choose if you buy both!

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.836 #16 · p.836 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

@lenticular 2 is my fav TY for kind words

rscheffler wrote:

well, as always I deserve a hard time. My feverent position on the A7s was to give Sony the benefit of the doubt untill we had them and could really test.

The A7r was so weird I sent it back, first camera I ever returned. You know why. Edges at infinity, wide aperture not great on many alt lenses including SLR. It's a native machine. I like the A7 and have shot it alot- today I had it out on the hill.

But Carsten R over at RFF replied to a request of mine to compare some f/8 28 shots with M9. This was with the R. I thought they were pretty good. He showed me what the M9 can do at 28. My A7R shots were not close to that anywhere in the frame (with elmarit 28 v3)

So I started picking up my m6 and comparing to A7. They are close in size, esp when you factor in tiny lenses which can be used, like CV21, CV35/2.5, Cron 50 etc. I've been watching the prices for a year now, and despite my anticipation of the Sony, in another compartment, I've wanted an M9 for a long time.

So, I bit the bullet and shelled out 3500 plus another k for various gucchi goodies. I got a camera just back from leica with new sensor, mainboard, leather, and calibrated, with around 5k clicks.

As you know, they are funny beasts, with the little patch and an LCD that tells you little about the image you just shot . But you see the results and fall in love.

For obvious reasons M9 + A7 is fantastic combo. When the M9 breaks you have something to use, haha--but I don't expect that, since we know the camera is actually very tough. Seriously, the M9 rules for landscapes and all sorts of shots up to 135. The A7 handles better, focuses easier, and shoots both long and close. You can AF. It's more reliable at night.

For a real shoot you need two bodies anyway and these are the two sexiest digital cameras ever made: who could ask for anything more?

Well, an RX1 would make for a high quality menage a trois, but I have a bunch of great 35s, so I'm not craving one.

The M9 is a quirky camera, but when you see the crazy high contrast "look" and watch your RF glass sing arias, well the quirks become endearing.

CV 35/1.4MC is no slouch on the M9:

L1001442 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1001451 by unoh7, on Flickr

Thank God I didn't sell that lens Great in daylight too

L1001515 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1001518 by unoh7, on Flickr

Jan 24, 2014 at 06:49 PM
tophoto.
• •
p.836 #17 · p.836 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I got the M9 with the intention of using it as a color camera, but I always seem to convert the files to b&w, maybe I should try to get some funds together for a swap to an MM...

Opening Soon by Thomas O'Connell, on Flickr

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:08 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.836 #18 · p.836 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

No, just buy an M8 as well...

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:23 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.836 #19 · p.836 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

^ Agree w/David

I have both the M8 and MM, and the M8 creates wonderful images in both B and W, and color

I love the SOOC colors of the M8

I sold my A7 to acquire the M8 and am very very happy with it, the A7 was fun while I had it, but def. not my cup of tea , back to keeping things simple for me

Plus you have the 1.3 crop factor, plus if you plan to convert strictly to B and W, no need for UV/IR filters (I think)

Quick backyard shot using M8 and Noct 1f

Phil

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:58 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.836 #20 · p.836 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Phil - that Noct looks so good in B&W! Wanna trade for a Jupiter-3?

50cron V4

180/3.4 APO Tely-T R

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM
1       2       3              835      
       837              2354       2355       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              835      
       837              2354       2355       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.